ONE SONG AT A TIME: TALES FROM THE KERRVILLE FOLK FESTIVAL

Joe Bevilacqua

May 1, 2001, 6:19:58 AM5/1/01
Hi all,

FYI.

Thought you might like the heads up on my latest special (from the guy who
brought you "Lady Bird Johnson: Legacy of a First Lady")...
It is a one-hour sound portrait that takes the listeners on a camping trip
during the Kerrville Folk Festival. I recorded it on location at last
year's
festival. In addition, there are ten short modules that contain content
different than what is on the one-hour documentary. This May marks the 30th
anniversary of the festival.

Below is the info. that will be up on the DACs:

TITLE: ONE SONG AT A TIME: TALES FROM THE KERRVILLE FOLK FESTIVAL

SUGGESTED USE: Anytime (Note: This year's festival begins on May 24th and
runs through June 10th.)

SATELLITE FEEDS: Thursday, May 10th, 1200-1344 ET, A71.9S.

ID #: 01-000-01301

LENGTH: Documentary - 59:00; plus ten modules between 3:00 and 4:15 in
length
(Note: The modules contain unique material not found in the documentary.)

RIGHTS: Unlimited through 5/3/03. STATION MUST NOTIFY KUT BY MAILING OR
FAXING THE FORM BELOW BEFORE BROADCAST. Stations may stream the program
simultaneous with its radio broadcast. Archiving the program on the web is
not permitted.

FEES: Free to all interconnected stations.

PROMO: Fed at end of documentary feed following 5 seconds of silence. One
30-second promo (24-seconds promo, 6-second music for local tag).

LISTENER COPIES: Copies are available on compact disc for $12.00 (in Texas,
$12.99) by calling 1-800-435-8836.

ONE SENTENCE DESCRIPTION: One Song at a Time: Tales from the Kerrville
Folk Festival is a one-hour radio documentary, hosted by NPR's John Burnett,
in honor of the thirtieth anniversary of the festival.

Kerrville, Texas, at a place called Quiet Valley Ranch, something
extraordinary happens. Like the mythical "Brigadoon," a city appears out of
nowhere. Five thousand campers will pitch tents, light campfires, strum
guitars, and create, for 18 days in May and June, a community called the
Kerrville Folk Festival.

The year 2001 marks the thirtieth anniversary of the Kerrville Folk
Festival, one of North America's longest-running open-air music events. In
honor of this, KUT Radio is presenting a one-hour sound portrait called "One
Song at a Time: Tales from the Kerrville Folk Festival.

Over the years, the festival has been fertile ground for such emerging and
established artists as the Dixie Chicks, Townes Van Zandt and Mary Chapin
Carpenter. The festival's "New Folk Competition" has also been a launching
pad for many new singer-songwriters, such as Lyle Lovett, Tish Hinojosa,
Butch Hancock, Nanci Griffith, and Jimmy LaFave.

Musicians and music lovers come from as far away as Ireland, part of the
30,000 who attended the event last year. But the Kerrville Folk Festival is
more than just a series of outdoor concerts, it's a culture, an alternate
reality, and a way of life.

Producer Joe Bevilacqua has created a one-hour sound portrait which lets the
radio listener experience this Texas tradition first hand: the music, the
people, the rain, the all-night "picking" parties, and the stories from
onstage, backstage and around the campfire.

"I really tried to capture the feeling of being there. Listeners can expect
to be transported to the Kerrville Folk Festival," say Bevilacqua, who
recorded the program on location at the 29th annual festival and camped out
through the mud, rain, cold showers, and 100 degree heat. He talked with
veteran campers such as Javier Cortez, who has attended every festival since
1972, Dyanne Fry Cortez, author of a book of Kerrville stories, and longtime
volunteers such as Vern Crawford and Lenore Langsdort, who met and married
on the festival grounds.

The program also features festival founder Rod Kennedy, who talks about how
it all started and what impact it has had. Bevilacqua explains, "The title
of the show comes from something Rod said to me during our interview, that
at Kerrville they are trying to change the world 'one song at a time.'"

In addition, there are live performances by Reggie & Kim Harris and Magpie,
Hugh Blumenfeld, Terri Allard, Lisa McCormick, the Red Dirt Rangers, Ronny
Cox, Peter Yarrow and others. Plus, KUT's own Howie Richey gives listeners
an audio tour through the festival grounds.

Bevilacqua admits, "When I arrived at Kerrville, I was a Kerrvirgin. While
I was there, I became a Kerrvivor. And I left a Kerrvert."

MODULES: There are ten modules unique from the documentary. The modules
will follow the documentary/promo and begin at 1:01:00 into the feed.

1. Kerrverts (3:34) The special language of Kerrville.
2. Camping with Christ (3:25) Secular humor at the festival.
3. Amram Jam (3:21) Folk-jazz artist David Amram merges musical genres.
4. Bill & Vern (3:22) How one newcomer got kerrverted.
5. The Magic of Kerrville (3:59) What makes the festival so special.
6. Kamp Quisine (3:23) Feeding the musicians.
7. The Geography of Kerrville (4:03) Texpert Howie Richey tours the
festival landscape.
8. Volunteers (3:28) Three personal stories of Kerrville.
9. Camp Cooking (3:09) A reading from the book "Hot Jams and Cold
Showers" by Dyanne Fry Cortez
10. Song Circles (4:15) Music around the camp fire at 3:00am.

PLEASE COMPLETE AND RETURN BY MAIL OR FAX:

Leo Siedo
KUT Radio
Communication Building B
The University of Texas at Austin