Wanted: Cool Einstein-quotes...

Lars Joergen Aas

Jan 4, 1993, 8:58:10 AM1/4/93
Yes, I know there are some...

+------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+
| Lars Joergen Aas | The best way to avoid being raped: Say yes! |
| la...@edb.tih.no | Look: a ".signature" with only four lines... |
+------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+

Andrew Baker Glazier

Jan 4, 1993, 11:10:33 AM1/4/93
(responding to the idea that the physical universe may have been created
by, or that its fate may be dependant on, chance)
"God does not play dice"

"[we have therefore shown] that not only does God play dice, but that he
sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen..."
Stephen Hawking

--
"A horse! A horse! Somebody give me a horse, man, because|glazier@
I come to bury this dirtball, not to praise him. Whaddya |harvard.isr.edu

SCRIVEN ADAM

Jan 4, 1993, 4:21:26 PM1/4/93
How 'bout...

Why Memorise Anything that you can Look up.

I tried that one, but my prof's didn't go for it.

Adam (scr...@ecf.utoronto.ca)

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

I don't know about all this sex on television,

I keep falling off.

-Monty Python

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
"used without permission from Gerard, it was his idea."

Xiphias Gladius

Jan 4, 1993, 10:37:51 PM1/4/93
How 'bout:
I want to know God's thought's, the rest are details.
God does not play dice with the Universe.
A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does
a man need to be happy?

- Ian

Paul Ciszek

Jan 5, 1993, 12:16:18 AM1/5/93
Now Schroedinger was gambling
When he put his cat on ice
But Heisenberg was certain
'Till Albert said "no dice!"

Albert said "no dice!"
Albert, dance around
Albert, be profound
Albert let your hair stick out
Your socks hang down

Albert played the fiddle
He loved to dance and sing
Now if that ain't genius
That ain't anything

That ain't anything etc.

Andrew Baker Glazier

Jan 5, 1993, 10:15:02 AM1/5/93
In article <ian.72...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> i...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Xiphias Gladius) writes:
> God does not play dice with the Universe.
I posted this before, with a counterstatement by Stephen Hawking (author,"
A Brief History of Time") The quotes were right, but the context wasn't
The Einstein quote refers to the fact that it is physically impossible to
know the position and velocity of an electron at the same time, and that
the degree of certainty with which one knows one inversely affect the
certainty possible in knowing the other. This is called the Heisenberg
Uncertainty Principle, and is a refutation of the feasibility of the
Scientific Determinist position, which held that if you knew the current
state of the Universe (the position and direction of every particle
(including electrons)) it would be possible to predict the entire future of
the Universe.

Andrew Baker Glazier

Jan 5, 1993, 10:18:50 AM1/5/93
>Now Schroedinger was gambling
>When he put his cat on ice
>But Heisenberg was certain
>'Till Albert said "no dice!"
Excuse me, but I believe that the Heisenberg Principle (see my previous
post) post-dates Eistein saying that by quite a bit.

Rao Akella

Jan 5, 1993, 3:44:05 PM1/5/93

Nature and nature's laws lay hid in night,
God said, "Let Newton be," and all was light.

It did not last; the devil howling "Ho!
Let Einstein be!" restored the status quo.

-- Rao Akella <r...@moose.cccs.umn.edu, rao%mo...@umnacvx.bitnet>

FRED W. BACH

Jan 5, 1993, 4:28:00 PM1/5/93
In article <1993Jan5.2...@news2.cis.umn.edu>, r...@moose.cccs.umn.edu writes...
#
#Nature and nature's laws lay hid in night,
#God said, "Let Newton be," and all was light.
#
#It did not last; the devil howling "Ho!
#Let Einstein be!" restored the status quo.
#
#-- Rao Akella <r...@moose.cccs.umn.edu, rao%mo...@umnacvx.bitnet>

"Everything should be as simple as possible -- but not simpler."

We have a poster here with that on it, and Einstein's picture.
Apparently, the poster is attributing the quote to Einstein.
Don't know if it's true, though.

Fred W. Bach , Operations Group | Internet: mu...@erich.triumf.ca
TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility) | Voice: 604-222-1047 loc 278/419
4004 WESBROOK MALL, UBC CAMPUS | FAX: 604-222-1074
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., CANADA V6T 2A3

These are my opinions, which should ONLY make you read, think, and question.
They do NOT necessarily reflect the views of my employer or fellow workers.

Stuart McCormack

Jan 5, 1993, 5:42:24 PM1/5/93
One of my favourites goes something like this....

If I am wrong then the French will say that I am a German
and the Germans will say that I am a Jew. Ah, but if I am
right then the Germans will say that I am a German and the
French will say that I am a Jew.

( I might have the order backwards here. )

Xiphias Gladius

Jan 5, 1993, 10:27:01 PM1/5/93
sm...@iconix.oz.au (Stuart McCormack) writes:

>One of my favourites goes something like this....

> If I am wrong then the French will say that I am a German
> and the Germans will say that I am a Jew. Ah, but if I am
> right then the Germans will say that I am a German and the
> French will say that I am a Jew.

. . . French will claim me as a citizen of the world.

>( I might have the order backwards here. )

- Ian

Chip Olson

Jan 5, 1993, 11:47:25 PM1/5/93
"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my
contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the
spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be
done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable
patriotism, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is;
I would rather be torn to shreds than be part of so base an action! It is
my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of
murder."

--
-Chip Olson. | ol...@husc.harvard.edu | ceo@{gnu.ai,silver.lcs}.mit.edu
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down?

Mark Brader

Jan 6, 1993, 4:25:45 AM1/6/93
> Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night.
> God said, "Let Newton be!" and all was light.

Alexander Pope.

> It did not last: the devil howling "Ho!
> Let Einstein be!" restored the status quo.

Sir John Collins Squire.

I have corrected the punctuation and capitalization in both couplets
to agree with the versions printed in "A Random Walk in Science"
(1973, compiled by R.L. Weber, edited by E. Mendoza), except that
I have left in the quotation marks where the book version had italics.

A few other quotes from the same book while I have it open...

Leo Szilard visited another scientist, who was flustered when
asked to explain his work. He didn't know what to assume.
Szilard said:
"You may assume infinite ignorance and unlimited intelligence."

Werner von Braun:
"Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what
I am doing."

Tom Margerison, reviewing Bruce M. Cooper's book "Writing Technical
Reports" in 1965:
"Report writing, like motor-car driving and love-making, is
one of those activities which almost every Englishman thinks
he can do well without instruction. The results are of
course usually abominable."

Frederic Joliot-Curie, quoted by M.A. Markov (thus having gone through
two translations):
"The farther the experiment is from theory the closer it is
to the Nobel Prize."

Enrico Fermi, to Emilio Segre:
"Emilio, I am getting rusty and old, I cannot follow the
highbrow theory developed by Oppenheimer's pupils any more.
I went to their seminar and was depressed by my inability
to understand them. Only the last sentence cheered me up.
It was: 'And this is Fermi's theory of beta decay.'"

Mark Twain (Life on the Mississippi):
"There is something fascinating about science. One gets such
wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling
investment of fact."

Sir Isaac Newton:
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the
shoulders of Giants."
Gerald Holton, commenting on the greatly increased number of scientists
in modern times:
"In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit
side by side with the giants on whose shoulders we stand."
--
Mark Brader "A facility for quotation covers the absence
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto of original thought" -- Lord Peter Wimsey

This article is in the public domain.

John Rickert

Jan 7, 1993, 1:02:23 AM1/7/93

"Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are
fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions."

"All our lauded technological progress -- our very civilization --
is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal."

"Force always attracts men of low morality, and I believe it to be
an invariable rule that tyrants of genius are succeeded by scoundrels."

"It is only to the individual that a soul is given."

"In order to be an immaculate member of a flock of sheep, one must
above all be a sheep oneself."

These are all taken from "Einstein: A Portrait," which I would highly
recommend. "Albert Einstein, The Human Side" also has a fine collection
of comments, letters, and such.

John Rickert
rick...@athena.cas.vanderbilt.edu

Haavard Fosseng

Jan 7, 1993, 3:14:09 AM1/7/93
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a
will of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who
should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension,... ;
such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls.

H}vard Fosseng

Ben Scott

Jan 7, 1993, 3:48:40 PM1/7/93
In article <smac.72...@iconix.oz.au> sm...@iconix.oz.au (Stuart McCormack) writes:
>One of my favourites goes something like this....
>
> If I am wrong then the French will say that I am a German
> and the Germans will say that I am a Jew. Ah, but if I am
> right then the Germans will say that I am a German and the
> French will say that I am a Jew.

Reminds me of a quote I always liked:

In heaven, the French are the cooks, the English are the policemen and the
Germans are the engineers.

In hell, the French are the engineers, the English are the cooks, and the
Germans are the policemen...

. <<<<Infinite K>>>>

"I'm surrounded by idiots of my own design!" - Joel, MST3k

"Watch it, Kenzie..."
"What'll you do, ruin my career?"
"What career?" - Nathan Spring, _Starcops_

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|Internet bsc...@nyx.cs.du.edu, or call the Arvada 68K BBS at (303)424-6208.|

Charles Olson

Jan 7, 1993, 9:26:16 PM1/7/93

|> In heaven, the French are the cooks, the English are the policemen and the
|> Germans are the engineers.
|>
|> In hell, the French are the engineers, the English are the cooks, and the
|> Germans are the policemen...

I've heard a number of versions of this... can only remember Russians being the
poets and Italians being the lovers, with everything organized by the Swiss in
heaven, and hell having the Russians as the lovers and everything being organized
by the Italians. Anyone have a more complete version?

I also like the crack made by a former Canadian prime minister whose identity
escapes me:

"Canada was supposed to get British government, French culture and American know-
how. Instead, it got French government, American culture and British know-how."

dks

Jan 8, 1993, 7:59:43 PM1/8/93
In article <ian.72...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>,
i...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Xiphias Gladius) writes:

>sm...@iconix.oz.au (Stuart McCormack) writes:
>> If I am wrong then the French will say that I am a German
>> and the Germans will say that I am a Jew. Ah, but if I am
>> right then the Germans will say that I am a German and the
>> French will say that I am a Jew.
>. . . French will claim me as a citizen of the world.

Close. What Einstein said, in an address at the Sorbonne, was:

If my theory of relativity is proven successful, Germany will claim
me as a German and France will declare that I am a citizen of the world.

SHEMESH SHACHAR

Jan 12, 1993, 8:06:35 AM1/12/93
Xiphias Gladius (i...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu) wrote:
: How 'bout:

: - Ian

Here's one he used quite a lot:
"no."
--
"Is it just me or has the world always been like that and I've been to
wraped up in myself to notice?" [Arthur Dent, THHGTTG]

Michael Chaplin

Jan 12, 1993, 7:37:51 PM1/12/93

Actually, the first is a little closer to some of what I've read, but
to "jew" add Swiss-- they'll call me a Swiss Jew.
to german add savant " " " " German Savant.
It was roughly in september of 1919, and I wish I could find it again.
It should be in a letter to Paul Ehrenfest, though I wouldn't be
surprised if he repeated it (in another variation) elsewhere.

No, I'm not saying this in any official capacity.
another $.02,
Chaplin.

Michael A. Chaplin If you want *their* opinions, ask *them*.
mic...@albert.bu.edu ....The Einstein Papers Project, Boston, Mass., USA
cha...@husc.harvard.edu ....Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., USA

Klaus Ole Kristiansen

Jan 15, 1993, 4:16:57 AM1/15/93

The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The
ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the
tail in New York, and it miows (sp?) in Los Angeles. The
wireless is the same, only without the cat.

- Albert Einstein

That is not the exact wording.

Klaus O K

Bill Bohrer

Jan 15, 1993, 2:39:17 PM1/15/93

Certainly not if the original quote was in German (?) 8>)

Bill
--

:::Jesse Helms. Tipper Gore. Need I say more?:::

Dan Pritchett - SunSoft Engineer

Jan 15, 1993, 6:41:59 PM1/15/93
The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is
comprehensible.
--Albert Einstein.

Dan Pritchett | ARPA/Internet: d...@zule.Eng.Sun.COM
SunSoft Desktop Prod. Tools | GEnie: D.PRITCHET3
| Packet: KM6PR@N0ARY.#NOCAL.CA.USA.NA
I used to think that I was cool.
Running around on fossil fuel.
Until I saw what I was doing.
Was driving down the road to ruin.
James Taylor

Graham Mann

Jan 15, 1993, 10:36:07 PM1/15/93
Re: Wanted: Cool Einstein-quotes...

"Gravitation is not responsible for
people falling in love."
- A. Einstein

eric peters

Jan 16, 1993, 6:54:09 AM1/16/93
"I want to know Gods thoughts.... all the rest are just details"
--
Eric Peters
pet...@CS.Colostate.EDU

Jonathan Fernandes

Jan 17, 1993, 8:41:48 PM1/17/93
kl...@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen) writes:

> - Albert Einstein

This is a rather nice one..

`Great spirits have always encountered
violent opposition from mediocre minds'

-- Albert Einstein

---
_____________________________________ _______________________________________
|`Tis strange but true, | ________ |
| for truth is often strange- |___ / rum...@odie.cs.mun.ca |
| stranger than fiction' --Lord Byron| /--- |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\~~/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
\/

Jo Ann Malina

Jan 18, 1993, 4:14:24 AM1/18/93
In article <1993Jan18....@cs.mun.ca> rum...@odie.cs.mun.ca (Jonathan Fernandes) writes:

>`Great spirits have always encountered
> violent opposition from mediocre minds'
>
>-- Albert Einstein

I've heard variations on this one before. It seems to me there needs
to be a corollary:

The fact that you encounter violent opposition does not ensure that
your spirit is great nor that their minds are mediocre.

-or-

Some people who encounter violent opposition deserve it.

*) *) *) *) *) *) *) *) *) *) *)!(* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (* (*
Jo Ann Malina, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
jo...@unixhub.slac.stanford.edu -or- 415/926-2846
Neither Stanford nor the DOE would be caught dead with these opinions.
Nor do they consult me when formulating theirs.
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to. -Bill Clinton

Alfred M. Kriman

Jan 18, 1993, 10:23:59 AM1/18/93

In article <C11Lo...@unixhub.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Jo Ann Malina (jo...@unixhub.SLAC.Stanford.EDU) responds that:

>I've heard variations on this one before. It seems to me there needs
>to be a corollary:
>
>The fact that you encounter violent opposition does not ensure that
>your spirit is great nor that their minds are mediocre.
>
>-or-
>
>Some people who encounter violent opposition deserve it.

As it happens, quotes have contexts. In this instance, AE is
making an observation respecting Bertrand Russell, who had been made
an offer of a faculty position at CUNY. That offer was withdrawn
under the pressure of a reactionary furor initiated by the Episcopal
bishop of New York. Understandably, a full statement of the
ramifications, exceptions, and converses was not appropriate in the
context in which this statement was made. Or did not seem so to
the author.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities.
The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly
submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."

Also from AE:
"Too many of us look upon Americans as dollar chasers. This is a
cruel libel, even if it is reiterated thoughtlessly by the Americans
themselves." (1929)

Michael Rivero

Jan 18, 1993, 11:39:14 PM1/18/93
>kl...@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen) writes:
>

>>The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The
>>ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the
>>tail in New York, and it miows (sp?) in Los Angeles. The
>>wireless is the same, only without the cat.
>
>> - Albert Einstein

Actually, I believe that was Mark Twain.

--
Michael Rivero michael%neu...@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov

Emma Dowling

Jan 21, 1993, 6:24:55 AM1/21/93

Most Scientific discoveries are not heralded by the cry Eureka,
but more by "Thats Funny....."

Imagination is more important than knowledge

Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics, I can assure
you mine are still greater.

God does not play dice with the universe.

These cool enough?

edow...@maths.tcd.ie

Jim Haynes

Jan 21, 1993, 5:29:05 PM1/21/93

In article <1993Jan21.1...@maths.tcd.ie> edow...@maths.tcd.ie (Emma Dowling) writes:

> Most Scientific discoveries are not heralded by the cry Eureka,
> but more by "Thats Funny....."
I've seen this one attributed to Isaac Asimov
--
hay...@cats.ucsc.edu
hay...@cats.bitnet

"Ya can talk all ya wanna, but it's dif'rent than it was!"
"No it aint! But ya gotta know the territory!"
Meredith Willson: "The Music Man"