democracy

another moron

Nov 21, 1993, 6:58:42 PM11/21/93
seen in a sig:

democracy is four wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch

superb!

:-)
adam
--

adam schwarz = sch...@elec.canterbury.ac.nz
<> ElecEng..UniCanterbury..Christchurch..NZ <>

MR J GREEN

Nov 24, 1993, 3:04:19 PM11/24/93
In article <CGv9...@cantua.canterbury.ac.nz> sch...@elec.canterbury.ac.nz (another moron) writes:
>From: sch...@elec.canterbury.ac.nz (another moron)
>Subject: democracy
>Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1993 23:58:42 GMT

How about:

Democracy is saying "Nice doggy!" until you can find a rock.

:)

Jeremy

Daniel Simon

Nov 24, 1993, 12:11:38 PM11/24/93
>seen in a sig:
>
> democracy is four wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch
>
>superb!

Those who find wisdom in the above quotation might wish to reconsider
it in light of its historical application--as indicated by, for
instance, the following passage (from which I suspect the former may
ultimately have derived):

Democracy is a state which recognizes the subjection of the
minority to the majority, that is, an organization for the
systematic use of violence by one class against the other, by
one part of the population against another.

--Lenin, *State and Revolution* (1919), ch. 4

"Que dites vous? C'est inutile? Je le sais! Daniel R. Simon
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succe`s!" si...@iro.umontreal.ca
-Rostand

D. Anton Sherwood

Dec 3, 1993, 9:17:06 PM12/3/93
In article <spjg.53....@giraffe.ru.ac.za> sp...@giraffe.ru.ac.za (MR J GREEN) writes:
>How about:
>Democracy is saying "Nice doggy!" until you can find a rock.

That's diplomacy.

Democracy is a rule of thumb for predicting who would win a civil war.
--
Anton Sherwood *\\* +1 415 267 0685 *\\* DAS...@netcom.com
Bureau of Making Sure You Get Enough Sleep and Eat Your Vegetables

Crone

Dec 4, 1993, 6:22:30 PM12/4/93
In <dasherCH...@netcom.com> das...@netcom.com (D. Anton Sherwood) writes:

>In article <spjg.53....@giraffe.ru.ac.za> sp...@giraffe.ru.ac.za (MR J GREEN) writes:
>>How about:
>>Democracy is saying "Nice doggy!" until you can find a rock.

>That's diplomacy.

>Democracy is a rule of thumb for predicting who would win a civil war.

One or the other of them is "the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in
such a way that he looks forward to (begins to pack for) the trip."
--
When I am a crone/I will dance with old women/and their sons/in a small town
/on the western fringe of Louisiana./Cotton skirts and leather heeled boots/

Richard M. Romanowski

Dec 14, 1993, 7:47:11 PM12/14/93
dm0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Crone) writes:

>In <dasherCH...@netcom.com> das...@netcom.com (D. Anton Sherwood) writes:

>>In article <spjg.53....@giraffe.ru.ac.za> sp...@giraffe.ru.ac.za (MR J GREEN) writes:
>>>How about:
>>>Democracy is saying "Nice doggy!" until you can find a rock.

>>That's diplomacy.

>>Democracy is a rule of thumb for predicting who would win a civil war.

>One or the other of them is "the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in
>such a way that he looks forward to (begins to pack for) the trip."

That's diplomacy. Democracy is mob rule, but with income taxes.

>--
>When I am a crone/I will dance with old women/and their sons/in a small town
>/on the western fringe of Louisiana./Cotton skirts and leather heeled boots/
>tapping two-steps in time/to the great age./From beyond Texas/we hear
>thunder/and sing to each other/"the rain comes soon"/When I am a crone.

When I grow up I wanna be an old woman
When I grow up I wanna be an old woman
an old, an old, an old, an old, an old old woman
Then I think I gonna find myself an old man
Then I think I gonna marry myself that old man
an old, an old, an old, an old, a really old man
we're gonna have a hundred and twenty babies
a hundred and fifteen and five, one-twenty babies
yeah, that's right, you heard right,
a hundred and twenty babies

-- Michelle Shocked (quoted from memory)