Who was Ernestine Ulmer?

mag...@rahul.net

Oct 15, 2000, 10:17:37 PM10/15/00
A web search finds that the phrase:

Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

Is frequently attributed to Ernestine Ulmer. But I can't find
any information about who she is to be remembered/quoted as
saying this phrase. Did she write a cookbook? Did she run in a
frequently quoted circle (ala Dorothy Parker)? Is she the real
author of this phrase, or did someone cite her as the author and
then dozens of other pages simply copy this misinformation? Does
anyone have a book where *anyone* (Ms. Ulmer, or anyone else) is
cited for this phrase, or the similar "Life is short, eat dessert
first" phrase?

Thanks for any leads or other information.

jc

--

"I'd much rather be mistaken as a lesbian by a bigot
than be mistaken as a bigot by a lesbian."

He Comes As No Surprise

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
In <4fpkusoo77nh1offc...@4ax.com>, mag...@rahul.net wrote:
> A web search finds that the phrase:
>
> Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.
>
> Is frequently attributed to Ernestine Ulmer. But I can't find
> any information about who she is to be remembered/quoted as
> saying this phrase. Did she write a cookbook? Did she run in a
> frequently quoted circle (ala Dorothy Parker)? . . .

She is not in EUREKA. Some genealogy pages identify her as an
otherwise undistinguished Texan, born in 1925.

-:-
CAGE: It's too bad about the old Admiral, isn't it, Mrs. Feathers?
MRS. FEATHERS: Aye, it is that, Mr. Cage. How did he go?
CAGE: The least likely death imaginable for a man like Admiral
Boniface, Mrs. Feathers. He was drowned.

--Horatio Alligator, "Admiral Boniface's Parrot"
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
home: col...@mail.monmouth.com

Lemming

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
On 17 Oct 2000 09:14:59 -0400, col...@monmouth.com (He Comes As No
Surprise) wrote:

>> A web search finds that the phrase:
>>
>> Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

And another request for an author:

"Always yield to temptation - it may not pass your way again".

Regards,

Derek Sorensen
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

Robert M. Wilson

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

"Lemming" <l3m...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> On 17 Oct 2000 09:14:59 -0400, col...@monmouth.com (He Comes As No
> Surprise) wrote:
>
> >In <4fpkusoo77nh1offc...@4ax.com>, mag...@rahul.net wrote:
> >> A web search finds that the phrase:
> >>
> >> Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.
>
> And another request for an author:
>
> "Always yield to temptation - it may not pass your way again".

[I will be interested if someone finds the source for this subtle twist on a
common thought. See the following:]

"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it."
-Mae West

"I have a simple principle for the conduct of life -- never to resist an
adequate temptation."
- Max Lerner

"I never resist temptation, because I have found that things that are bad
for me do not tempt me."
- G B Shaw (The Apple Cart)

"I can resist everything except temptation."
- Oscar Wilde (L W Fan)

"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it."
- Oscar Wilde (letter)

"The best way to get the better of a temptation is just to yield to it."
- Clementina Graham

amber1...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2016, 11:44:21 AM2/25/16
SHE IS AN AMERICAN AUTHOR