banks?

Richard Johnson

Jul 26, 2002, 6:30:54 AM7/26/02
dear all,

anything on banks? or money?

you are, of course, wonderful as ever.......
--

Richard

Elan Pavlov

Jul 26, 2002, 9:05:31 AM7/26/02
In article <1027679565.1818.0...@news.demon.co.uk>,

"Richard Johnson" <ric...@rjsj.demon.co.uk> writes:
>dear all,
>
>anything on banks? or money?

On banks:
Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
- Dante

All of us should treasure his Oriental wisdom and his preaching of a
Zen-like detachment, as exemplified by his constant reminder to clerks,
tellers, or others who grew excited by his presence in their banks:
"Just lie down on the floor and keep calm."
- Robert Wilson (John Dillinger died for you)

Women hate revolutions and revolutionists. They like men who are docile, and
well-regarded at the bank, and never late at meals.
- H. L. Mencken

Bats have no bankers and they do not drink and cannot be arrested and pay no
tax and, in general, bats have it made
- John Berryman

"What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?"
- Bertold Brecht

Good resolutions are simply checks that men draw on a bank where they have no
account.
- Oscar Wilde

On money:
If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my
name in a Swiss bank.
- Woody Allen

An age at which many men are not quite common--at which they are hopeful of
achievement, resolute in avoidance, thinking that Mammon shall never put a bit
in their mouths and get astride their backs, but rather that Mammon, if they
have anything to do with him, shall draw their chariot.
- George Eliot

MAMMON
n. The god of the world's leading religion. The chief temple is in the holy city
of New York.
- Bierce

He swore that all other religions were gammon,
And wore out his knees in the worship of Mammon.
- Jared Oopf

It takes money to make money because you have to copy the design exactly.
- Unknown

Certainly there are things in life that money can't buy,
But it's very funny -- did you ever try buying them without money?
- Ogden Nash

When a fellow says, "It ain't the money but the principle of the thing,"
it's the money.
- Kim Hubbard

I could continue, but this should hold you until the rest weigh in:)

Elan
---
The fundamental evil of the world arose from the fact that the
good Lord has not created money enough.
- Heinrich Heine

Al Bondigas

Jul 26, 2002, 10:44:59 AM7/26/02

"Richard Johnson" <ric...@rjsj.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> dear all,
>
> anything on banks? or money?

It is easier to rob by setting up a bank than by robbing a bank clerk.
Bertold Brecht

The fascists of the 21st century aren't going to come with swastikas and
billy clubs. They're going to come with clerical collars and lawyers, and
they'll sue their critics into bankruptcy.
Michael Langone

The trouble with being educated is that it takes a long time; it uses up the
better part of your life and when you are finished what you know is that you
would have benefited more by going into banking.
Philip K. Dick

Any time three New Yorkers get into a cab without an argument, a bank has
just been robbed.
Phyllis Diller

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.
Thomas Jefferson

Grace McGarvie

Jul 26, 2002, 11:45:52 AM7/26/02
BANK

Bankruptcy is a legal proceeding in which you put your money in your
pants pocket and give your coat to your creditors. Joey Adams

If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit

in my name at a Swiss Bank. Woody Allen

What is robbing a bank compared with founding a bank? Bertolt Brecht

The quite legal trickery is in the creation by the banks of credit money
and charging the community interest on it whilst , in reality, it only
exists in bank records. E. L. Burgi

Credit is a system whereby a person who can't pay gets another person
who can't pay to guarantee that he can pay. Charles Dickens

Bankrupt of life, yet prodigal of ease. John Dryden

Banking? Quite simple. It's other people's money. Alexandre Dumas
(the younger)

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you
don't need it. Bob Hope

I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than
standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by
posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a
large scale. Thomas Jefferson

If Americans ever allow banks to control the issue of their currency,
first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks will deprive the
people of all property until their children will wake up homeless.
Thomas Jefferson

It is better that a man should tyrannize over his bank balance than over
his fellow citizens. John Maynard Keynes

I cried all the way to the bank. (In response to negative reviews) Liberace

Except for con men borrowing money they shouldn't get and the widows who
have to visit with the handsome young men in the trust department, no
sane person ever enjoyed visiting a bank. Martin Mayer

Bankers are just like anybody else, except richer. Ogden Nash

One rule which woe betides the banker who fails to heed it . . . Never
lend any money to anybody unless they don't need it. Ogden Nash

I don't have a bank account, because I don't know my mother's maiden
name. Paula Poundstone

People who are always making allowances for themselves soon go bankrupt.
Mary Pettibone Poole

A banker is a person who is willing to make a loan if you present
sufficient evidence to show that you don't need it. Herbert V. Prochnow

Bank failures are caused by depositors who don't deposit enough money to
cover losses due to mismanagement. Danforth Quayle

I am convinced that Beethoven had a lower I.Q. than a bank director, but
I am willing to exchange all bank directors for the one Beethoven.
Theodor Reik

There's a certain Buddhistic calm that comes from having . . . money in
the bank. Tom Robbins

It is not by augmenting the capital of the country, but by rendering a
greater part of that capital active and productive than would otherwise
be so, that the most judicious operations of banking can increase the
industry of the country. Adam Smith

What the banker sighs for, the meanest clown may have, - leisure and a
quiet mind. Henry David Thoreau

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining
and wants it back the minute it begins to rain. Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

God's name is not considered good at the banks. Lemuel K. Washburn

The church is a bank that is continually receiving deposits but never
pays a dividend. Lemuel K. Washburn

I saw a bank that said "24 Hour Banking", but I don't have that much
time. Steven Wright

If bankers can count, how come they have eight windows and only four
tellers? Anonymous

You don't put robbers to work in a bank. American Proverb

Amazing Grace

--
"The language and concepts contained herein are guaranteed not to cause
eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns and pointed

The Sanity Inspector

Jul 26, 2002, 12:25:19 PM7/26/02
"Richard Johnson" <ric...@rjsj.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<1027679565.1818.0...@news.demon.co.uk>...
> dear all,
>
> anything on banks? or money?
>
> you are, of course, wonderful as ever.......

A fool and his money are soon partying.
--Anon

Why is this soiled, crumpled, overdecorated piece of paper
bearing a picture of a rather disreputable president worth fifty
dollars, while this clean, soft, white, and cleverly folded piece of
paper is worth so little that I just wiped my nose on it?
--P. J. O'Rourke

No one would remember the Good Samaritan if he'd only had good
intentions. He had money as well.
-- Margaret Thatcher

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.

David C Kifer

Jul 26, 2002, 12:46:54 PM7/26/02
to Richard Johnson
Richard Johnson wrote:

> dear all,
>
> anything on banks? or money?
>
> you are, of course, wonderful as ever.......

Money is like a sixth sense, and you can't make use of the other five
without it.
--W. Somerset Maugham

If a man runs after money, he's money-mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist;
if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a ne'er-do-well;
if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working
for it, he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a lifetime of hard
work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of his life.
-- Vic Oliver

How little you know about the age you live in if you think that honey is
sweeter than cash in hand.
-- Ovid

Why is this soiled, crumpled, overdecorated piece of paper bearing a picture
of a rather disreputable president worth fifty dollars, while this clean,
soft, white, and cleverly folded piece of paper is worth so little that I
just wiped my nose on it?
--P. J. O'Rourke

A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon it adds up to real money.
--Senator Everett Dirksen (1896-1969)

There are a handful of people whom money won't spoil, and we all count
ourselves among them.
-- Mignon McLaughlin b.1915, The Second Neurotics Notebook (1966)

"There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But
it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to
call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers. "
-- Richard Feynman

[p&e]
--
Dave
"Tam multi libri, tam breve tempus!"

Joe Fineman

Jul 26, 2002, 4:53:54 PM7/26/02
They may talk all they please about what they call pelf,
And how one ought never to think of one's self,
How pleasures of thought surpass eating and drinking,--
My pleasure of thought is the pleasure of thinking
How pleasant it is to have money, heigh-ho!
How pleasant it is to have money.

. . .

As for that, pass the bottle, and d--n the expense,
I've seen it observed by a writer of sense,
That the labouring classes could scarce live a day,
If people like us didn't eat, drink, and pay.
So useful it is to have money, heigh-ho!
So useful it is to have money. -- Arthur Hugh Clough
--
--- Joe Fineman j...@TheWorld.com

||: Which is worse: getting used to what you don't like, or to :||
||: what you like? :||

Daniel P. B. Smith

Jul 26, 2002, 9:00:50 PM7/26/02
...they had two distinct commercial systems, of which the one
appealed more strongly to the imagination than anything to which we
are accustomed in Europe, inasmuch as the banks that were conducted
upon this system were decorated in the most profuse fashion, and all
mercantile transactions were accompanied with music, so that they
were called Musical Banks, though the music was hideous to a
European ear.

...they have two distinct currencies, each under the control of its
own banks and mercantile codes. One of these (the one with the
Musical Banks) was supposed to be THE system, and to give out the
currency in which all monetary transactions should be carried on;
and as far as I could see, all who wished to be considered
respectable, kept a larger or smaller balance at these banks. On
the other hand, if there is one thing of which I am more sure than
another, it is that the amount so kept had no direct commercial
value in the outside world; I am sure that the managers and cashiers
of the Musical Banks were not paid in their own currency.

--Samuel Butler, _Erewhon; or Over the Range_

(The "musical banks" were an elaborate satire on churches...)

--
Daniel P. B. Smith
dpbs...@theworld.com

Ananya

Jul 27, 2002, 12:17:24 PM7/27/02
Grace McGarvie <gem...@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<3D416EB0...@attbi.com>...

> BANK
>
> Bankruptcy is a legal proceeding in which you put your money in your
> pants pocket and give your coat to your creditors. Joey Adams

The universe seems bankrupt as soon as we begin to discuss the
character of individuals.
-- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

> It is not by augmenting the capital of the country, but by rendering a
> greater part of that capital active and productive than would otherwise
> be so, that the most judicious operations of banking can increase the
> industry of the country. Adam Smith

" When the IMF and the World Bank force a country to cut wages, lay
off workers, produce for export instead of their own people, and sell
off public property to cronies for less than its value, that's called
"economic reform."
-- Robert Naiman, Toward Freedom magazine, November 1999, p2

-

much love, light and laughter,
ananya.

SteveMR200

Jul 27, 2002, 9:30:01 PM7/27/02
On 27 Jul 2002 09:17:24 -0700, chunnu_m...@yahoo.co.in
(Ananya) wrote:

>"When the IMF and the World Bank force a country to cut wages, lay
>off workers, produce for export instead of their own people, and sell
>off public property to cronies for less than its value, that's called
>"economic reform."
>-- Robert Naiman, Toward Freedom magazine, November 1999, p2

There is no way of keeping profits up but by keeping
wages down.
--David Ricardo (1772-1823)
_On Protection to Agriculture_ [1820]

--
Steve

Tauser

Jul 28, 2002, 12:24:16 AM7/28/02
<< IMF and the World Bank >>

If I recall, Robert McNamara was the briliiant engineer of the VietNam
war.....and now the great technician of the World Bank.

Doesn't anyone notice this curious problem?

Maybe I'm alone here.

Tauser

Tom

Aug 25, 2002, 1:44:49 PM8/25/02
How sweet the moonlight sleeps upon this bank.
--Merchant of Venice

Tom Parsons (sorry, couldn't resist)

--
-- Just the knowledge that a good book
t...@panix.com | is awaiting one at the end of a
| long day makes that day happier.
http://www.panix.com/~twp | --Kathleen Norris (1880-1966)

Frank Lynch

Sep 1, 2002, 7:30:55 AM9/1/02
On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 17:44:49 +0000 (UTC), Tom <t...@panix.com> wrote:

>How sweet the moonlight sleeps upon this bank.
> --Merchant of Venice
>
>Tom Parsons (sorry, couldn't resist)

IIRC, (& FWWI...) the ambiguity of the word "bank" was part of an
experiment which demonstrated how brains are organized. The time it
takes to recognize a word is interpreted as a demonstration of how our
brains organize our word memories -- and "penny" is recognized more
quickly in the stimulus sequence "vault - bank - penny" then it is in
the sequence "river - bank - penny"

ObQuote:
No man forgets his original trade: the rights of nations and of kings
sink into questions of grammar, if grammarians discuss them.
-- Samuel Johnson: Milton (Lives of the Poets)

Frank Lynch
The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
http://www.samueljohnson.com/

Steve Bell

Sep 6, 2002, 7:47:59 PM9/6/02
On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 11:30:55 GMT, Frank Lynch
<frank.lync...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 17:44:49 +0000 (UTC), Tom <t...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>>How sweet the moonlight sleeps upon this bank.
>> --Merchant of Venice
>>
>>Tom Parsons (sorry, couldn't resist)
>
>IIRC, (& FWWI...) the ambiguity of the word "bank" was part of an
>experiment which demonstrated how brains are organized. The time it
>takes to recognize a word is interpreted as a demonstration of how our
>brains organize our word memories -- and "penny" is recognized more
>quickly in the stimulus sequence "vault - bank - penny" then it is in
>the sequence "river - bank - penny"
>
>ObQuote:
>No man forgets his original trade: the rights of nations and of kings
>sink into questions of grammar, if grammarians discuss them.
>-- Samuel Johnson: Milton (Lives of the Poets)

Robert: "Judy loses control of her skis and collides with a snow
bank".
Judy: "Judy runs up to the snow bank, whips out her handy-dandy ATM
card, withdraws 25 snowballs and begins to throw them at Robert".
part of typical fantasy sequence
in the newsgroup alt.cuddle.