Latin quotations

David Borenstein

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
Hello,

I have received a couple of requests for latin translations of quotes
recently. I was wondering whether anyone could help, as I am extremely
deficient in Latin.

"Truth conquers all"

(I think it's "veritas vincit," but I'm not positive.)

"Who watches the watchmen?"

"Knowledge is power"

And one that I saw posted here a couple years back:

"It's amazing the rubbish one can say in latin and still seem intelligent"
(or something to that effect).

I thank you all in advance,

-David

Robert M. Wilson

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
In article <01be2a1c$b297db60$5068...@powerind.tiac.net>,

"David Borenstein" <webm...@quoteland.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have received a couple of requests for latin translations of quotes
>recently. I was wondering whether anyone could help, as I am extremely
>deficient in Latin.
>
>"Truth conquers all"
>
>(I think it's "veritas vincit," but I'm not positive.)

Not Latin but:
"In the end, truth will conquer."
--John Wycliffe

>"Who watches the watchmen?"

"sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
--Juvenal *Satire* VI, 165

>"Knowledge is power"

"Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est."
-- Francis Bacon *Meditationes Sacrae*

>And one that I saw posted here a couple years back:
>
>"It's amazing the rubbish one can say in latin and still seem intelligent"
>(or something to that effect).

I missed it, but you might like:
"Nihil tam absurdum, quod non dictum sit ab aliquo philosophorum."
-- Cicero

Serenleono

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
David Borenstein <webm...@quoteland.com> scripsit:

>>"Truth conquers all"
>>(I think it's "veritas vincit," but I'm not positive.)

"Veritas vincit" would simply be "Truth conquers". You're looking for
"Omnia veritas vincit", "Truth conquers all".

Similar phrases:
"Omnia amor vincit" (Love conquers all),
"Omnia labor vincit" (Labour conquers all),
"Veritas victrix" (Truth the conqueror),
"Veritas praevalebit" (Truth will prevail),
"Veritas temporis filia" (Truth is the daughter of time),
"Veritas odium parit" (Truth begets hatred),
"Veritas numquam perit" (Truth never dies), and
"Veritas vos liberabit" (The truth shall make you free),
among others.

Seren
"Man is still the most extraordinary computer of all." -- John F. Kennedy

Brendan Macmillan

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
Serenleono (ve...@mindspring.com) wrote:
: David Borenstein <webm...@quoteland.com> scripsit:
: "Veritas victrix" (Truth the conqueror),

: "Veritas praevalebit" (Truth will prevail),
: "Veritas temporis filia" (Truth is the daughter of time),
: "Veritas odium parit" (Truth begets hatred),
: "Veritas numquam perit" (Truth never dies), and
: "Veritas vos liberabit" (The truth shall make you free),

And (I think this is correct)
"Vino veritas" (In wine, truth is)

Um, could someone suggest authorative-sounding latin translation of a
"profile of rhetoric"?
as in, a list of speeches, quotations etc that a particular person likes.
I'd like to use it to name a web-site.

Brendan Macmillan
--
Brendan....@cs.monash.edu.au Tel: +61 03 9905 5194
Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal;

MJConover7

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
Brendan Macmillan said,

>And (I think this is correct)
> "Vino veritas" (In wine, truth is)

I have:

In Vine Veritas
In Cervesio Felicitas
(In wine there is wisdom,
In beer there is joy.)

I don't have any idea if this is the correct Latin, or where it came from.
Alas, the problem of other people's quotation lists......

ObQ: (unrelated, but I just came across it tonight)
(In reference to The Doors music)
*It is much like the surgeons blade which as it cuts both heals and destroys.
-Danny Sugerman
_No One Here Gets Out Alive, The Doors: Illustrated History_

---Michael

aurator

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
re your Obquote:

ObQ: (unrelated, but I just came across it tonight)
(In reference to The Doors music)
*It is much like the surgeons blade which as it cuts both heals and
destroys.
-Danny Sugerman
_No One Here Gets Out Alive, The Doors: Illustrated History_

Hank Williams wrote, I think:

"You'll never get out of this world alive"

MJConover7

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
Aurator Said,

>re your Obquote:

>>ObQ:

>>(In reference to The Doors music)
>>*It is much like the surgeons blade which as it cuts both heals and
>>destroys.
> > -Danny Sugerman
> > _No One Here Gets Out Alive, The Doors: Illustrated History_
>
>Hank Williams wrote, I think:

I took this directly from the liner notes of _The Best of the Doors_

ObQ:
Muddy water,
let stand
becomes clear.
-Lao-tse

---Michael

Serenleono

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
mjcon...@aol.comX (MJConover7) scripsit:

>Brendan Macmillan said:
>> And (I think this is correct)
>> "Vino veritas" (In wine, truth is)

>In Vine Veritas

You were very close. It's *In vino veritas* in Latin, a proverb to
which Pliny the Elder alluded in the source below:

Volgoque veritas iam attributa vino est.
(Truth has come to be proverbially credited to wine.)
-- C. Plinius Secundus (C.E. 23-79),
HISTORIA NATURALIS, XIV, 28, 141.

>In Cervesio Felicitas
>(In wine there is wisdom,
>In beer there is joy.)

Hmm. That would be *In cervesiae gaudium*, I'd think. I shouldn't
use *felicitas* for joy, since it tends more to mean "good fortune" or
"luck" than "joy" or "happiness", which are expressed perfectly by
*gaudium*.

Another ancient quote regarding wise men and wine:

Narratur et prisci Catonis saepe mero caluisse virtus.
(They say that even old Cato, for all his virtue, warmed
his heart many a time with good wine.)
-- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)
(B.C.E. 65-27), CARMINA, III, xxi, 11.

Serenleono

Dec 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/19/98
br...@molly.cs.monash.edu.au (Brendan Macmillan) scripsit:

>And (I think this is correct)
> "Vino veritas" (In wine, truth is)

In vino veritas -- (There is) truth in wine.

>Um, could someone suggest authorative-sounding latin translation of a
> "profile of rhetoric"?
>as in, a list of speeches, quotations etc that a particular person likes.
>I'd like to use it to name a web-site.

Hmm. May I suggest *Thesaurus Dictorum* or *Thesaurus Sententiarum*.

Thesaurus = treasury or treasure house.

Dictum = a saying, remark, or witticism. The plural would be *dicta*,
the plural genitive *dictorum*.

*Thesaurus dictorum* -- A Treasury (treasure house) of Sayings.

Sententia = an opinion, thought, idea, maxim, epigram, aphorism, &c.
The plural would be *sententiae* and the pl. gen. *sententiarum*.

*Thesaurus sententiarum* -- Vault (repository) of Thoughts (opinions).

There's another word for proverb, or saying, that you might consider,
depending upon the types of quotes you'll have at your site, of
course: *proverbium*.

*Thesaurus Proverbiorum* -- A Treasury of Proverbs (proverbial
sayings).

David Borenstein

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
Thanks, all.

I had an ISP outage, so I couldn't check the replies until today. Could
someone please repost the latin translation of "knowledge is power"? Sorry
to be redundant.

Thank you again,
-David

Ed Phelan

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
to David Borenstein

I didn't see the original posting but believe you can use either of these:

nam et ipsa scientia potestas est
("Francis Bacon's much repeated and often borrowed aphorism, literally "for
knowledge too is itself power.")

scientia est potentia
("An appropriate maxim for illicit wiretappers and those who record their
telephone conversations without informing the people they speak with that
they are doing so".) --- don't tie this in with Linda Tripp, the book has
been out for a long time----

The book?
Amo, Amas, Amat and More (Eugene Ehrlich w/ intro by William F. Buckley,
Jr.)

All the best.
ae

__________________
Cyberdog: Simply the best

Serenleono

Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
"David Borenstein" <webm...@quoteland.com> scripsit:

>Could someone please repost the latin translation of
>"knowledge is power"? Sorry to be redundant.

I don't want to answer in someone else's place, but the phrase is
commonly given in Latin as "Scientia potestas est" or "Scientia
potentia est", which are simplified (mis)quotations of Bacon.

Bacon phrased the idea in the following ways:

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.

(For knowledge, too, is itself a power.)
-- Francis Bacon, DE H(O)ERESIBUS (c.1620)

Scientia et potentia humana in idem coincidunt.
(Knowledge and human power are synonymous.)
-- ibid, from NOVUM ORGANUM, Aphor. 3

Hobbes wrote it in English:

Knowledge is power.
-- Hobbes, chapter 9 of LEVIATHAN (1651).

Samuel Johnson, writing in the 18th century, added this:

Knowledge is more than equivalent to force.
-- RASSELAS, ch. 13

Uses of the phrase by other authors:

There is no knowledge that is not power.
-- R. W. Emerson, "Society & Solitude:
Old Age (1870)

They say that "Knowledge is power." I used to
think so.
-- Byron, in "Letter to Prothero", VI, 11 (1822)

Knowledge is power, and I never sell power.
-- Shaw, MRS WARREN'S PROFESSION,
act I (1893)

David Borenstein

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
Thanks. Would "Cognitus est potencia" also do the trick? I like the sound
of that better than the first.

-David

Serenleono

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
"David Borenstein" <webm...@quoteland.com> scripsit:

>Thanks. Would "Cognitus est potencia" also do the trick?
>I like the sound of that better than the first.

I'm afraid not. As a noun, *cognitus* could mean "a fact" or "the act
of familiarising oneself with something", but that's not quite the
same as "knowledge" in the greater sense. *Cognitus* would be awkward
in this context -- as would *cognitio*, which someone else asked about
earlier. *Cognitio* is often translated as "study" because the
emphasis is on the *process* of gaining knowledge rather than the end
result of one's investigation. So *scientia* is better than both of
these words, since it means "what you know" (as opposed to what you
might merely believe or suspect), and encompasses expert knowledge of
a particular subject or erudition in general.

As for whether to use *potestas* or *potentia* (I assume your use of
"potencia" was a typo) -- that's another question and not so easy to
answer. *Potestas* and *potentia* have very similar meanings, and in
many contexts overlap and have virtually the same force. To the
Romans *potestas* indicated, among other things, the kind of power or
authority that an official or military officer would wield, as opposed
to the kind of power or influence the average person might acquire or
use in an unofficial capacity. This latter kind of "power" was
expressed by the word *potentia*. But even the Romans used these
words at times as though they were synonymous. The word *potentia*,
for example, was used by Vergil to refer to the influence exerted by
the gods, which surely must be viewed as somewhat "official".

Seren
The archaeolatrists' motto: Antiquus Ordo Revocabitur (The ancient
order of things will be recalled. -- Cicero.)