Celtic chic

1 view

The Sanity Inspector

Mar 3, 2006, 2:07:48 PM3/3/06
To many, perhaps to most people outside the small company of the great
scholars, past and present, 'Celtic' of any sort is, nonetheless, a
magic bag, into which anything may be put, and out of which almost
anything may come. [...] Anything is possible in the fabulous Celtic
twilight, which is not so much a twilight of the gods as of the reason.
-- J. R. R. Tolkien, "English and Welsh", in _The Monsters And The
Critics And Other Essays_, 1984

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.

Owen McManus

Mar 4, 2006, 2:21:41 AM3/4/06
The Sanity Inspector wrote:
> To many, perhaps to most people outside the small company of the great
> scholars, past and present, 'Celtic' of any sort is, nonetheless, a
> magic bag, into which anything may be put, and out of which almost
> anything may come. [...]
___________________________

This isn't Scotland, of course: Scotland isn't so self苞onsciously
Scottish. Here there are drycleaned
tartans, new black velvet ribbons tying back coppery hair, creaseless
flags of St. Andrew waving in the breeze, honeydark whiskies-Ardbeg and
Talisker, Islay and Orkney-flowing into polished glasses. Here there are
Rep Cherokees with bumper stickers shouting "Celtic and Proud of It!";
here there's a balding guy with a red and yellow tattoo on his arm
reading "1314"-"It's the date of the Battle of Bannockburn," he says,
"when Robert the Bruce kicked English butt."

This is, in fact, Jefferson County, Florida. The Highland Games at
Trelawn Plantation, to be exact, where the highest land is probably
about three hundred feet above sea level. The food is more barbeque than
haggis, and half the guys in kilts also wear Florida State t貞hirts. But
they've come to celebrate a place-or at least the idea of a place-most
of them have never even seen.

Scottishness is back in fashion for American white folks, muscling
Irishness out of the way as the Celtic flavor du jour.
[..]

Scottish-耍mericans want the Scotland of Braveheart, not the Scotland of
Trainspotting.

~Diane Roberts, Your Clan or Ours?, Oxford American, [Sept.-Oct. 1999]

--
Owen McManus

**The apparent antiquity of the gene responsible for red hair among
Celtic peoples suggests that it may have arisen through interbreeding
between Neanderthals and Homo sapiens.
-Oxford genetics team **

Biopic page: http://aussieladiesofaq.blogspot.com/

Graham J Weeks

Mar 4, 2006, 6:30:27 AM3/4/06
Heaven is like Scotland without the midges........ and the Scots of course.
Old Harry's Game. BBC Radio 4. 16 April 1998

--
-----
Graham J Weeks  M.R.Pharm.S.

David C Kifer

Mar 4, 2006, 12:52:31 PM3/4/06
Owen McManus dipped mouse in ink and wrote:

> Scottishness is back in fashion for American white folks, muscling
> Irishness out of the way as the Celtic flavor du jour.
> [..]
>

> Scottish-­Americans want the Scotland of Braveheart, not the Scotland of

> Trainspotting.
>
> ~Diane Roberts, Your Clan or Ours?, Oxford American, [Sept.-Oct. 1999]

That's a difficult choice to make, with ancestors from both places!

People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their
ancestors.
--Edmund Burke (1729-1797) in 'Reflections on the Revolution in France and on
the Proceedings in Certain Societies in London'

--
Dave
"Tam multi libri, tam breve tempus!"

Catherine Deschevaux

Mar 4, 2006, 8:52:39 PM3/4/06
David C Kifer wrote:

>Owen McManus wrote:
>>Scottishness is back in fashion for American white folks, muscling
>>Irishness out of the way as the Celtic flavor du jour.

> That's a difficult choice to make, with ancestors from both places!
_____________________________

Well, I bore children to an Irish/Pom then hooked up with a pure
Scotsman who had arrived in this country as a young chap wearing a
kilt.( And from all accounts he rarely had his trousers on after that!)
Both fought wars.
So I personally am doing an intervention so our poor virginal Violette
doesn't intermingle her genes with Irish-Scottish- and omigod
-AMERICAN!! She would be DOOMED!! :-(

I shall find her a nice French man of letters!

Roman writers frequently said that Celtic men are all "mad for war", and
that they are constantly preparing themselves for the next cattle raid,
the next border incursion, the next territorial conquest. They drink
heavily (Romans used to mix water in their wine, whereas Celts drank
their wine "straight") and would boast about what great fighters they
are, and what great deeds they would perform at the next battle. As
rough, dangerous, heavy-drinking, boastful and proud young men, assured
of their greatness and the greatness of their tribe, they can be
compared to modern English football hooligans.
~Druidism Guide: Traditions: What is Celtic Warrior and Hunter
Spirituality? from www

--

__________Catherine Deschevaux_____________
'Prenez haleine, tirez forte'

** French is the language that turns dirt into romance.
- Stephen King **

David C Kifer

Mar 4, 2006, 11:54:03 PM3/4/06
Catherine Deschevaux dipped mouse in ink and wrote:

> David C Kifer wrote:
>
>> Owen McManus wrote:
>>
>>> Scottishness is back in fashion for American white folks, muscling
>>> Irishness out of the way as the Celtic flavor du jour.
>

> > That's a difficult choice to make, with ancestors from both places!
> _____________________________
>
> Well, I bore children to an Irish/Pom then hooked up with a pure
> Scotsman who had arrived in this country as a young chap wearing a
> kilt.( And from all accounts he rarely had his trousers on after that!)
> Both fought wars.
> So I personally am doing an intervention so our poor virginal Violette
> doesn't intermingle her genes with Irish-Scottish- and omigod
> -AMERICAN!! She would be DOOMED!! :-(
>
> I shall find her a nice French man of letters!

Seems I've heard something or other about "French letters"... :-)>

...why haven't women got labels on their foreheads saying "Danger: Government
Health Warning: Women can seriously damage your brains, genitals, current
account, confidence, razor blades and good standing among your friends."
-- Jeffrey Bernard, Spectator, 1984

Graham J Weeks

Mar 5, 2006, 1:04:33 AM3/5/06

Catherine Deschevaux wrote:

> I shall find her a nice French man of letters!

He had a long and distinguished career in French letters. - obituary of an
academic in The Times, from memory, probably apocryphal.

Ben Trovato

Mar 5, 2006, 9:18:10 AM3/5/06
On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 06:04:33 +0000 (UTC), Graham J Weeks <gwe...@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>Catherine Deschevaux wrote:
>

>> I shall find her a nice French man of letters!
>
>He had a long and distinguished career in French letters. - obituary of an
>academic in The Times, from memory, probably apocryphal.

Is this sort of thing typical of the Times? Another obituary notice, also from
memory:

John Longbottom, age three months, dies. Ars longa, vita brevis.

--
Ben Trovato
mailto:ruc...@umich.edu

Graham J Weeks

Mar 5, 2006, 11:31:43 AM3/5/06

Ben Trovato wrote:

> Is this sort of thing typical of the Times? Another obituary notice, also from
> memory:
>
> John Longbottom, age three months, dies. Ars longa, vita brevis.

I gave up reading it years ago but I do have this.

Then I suppose I should tell you about Lord Reading's recent marriage to a woman
some forty years younger than himself. The London Times account of the wedding
ended, unfortunately, with this sentence 'The bridegroom's gift to the bride was
an antique pendant.' -- Alexander Woollcott

icebabe

Mar 5, 2006, 8:02:29 PM3/5/06
Graham J Weeks wrote:
>>I shall find her a nice French man of letters!

> He had a long and distinguished career in French letters. - obituary of an
> academic in The Times, from memory, probably apocryphal.

___________________

Jane Fonda to teens: Use head to avoid pregnancy.
~ headline

--
icebabe

Owen McManus

Mar 5, 2006, 8:03:16 PM3/5/06
David C Kifer wrote:
> Seems I've heard something or other about "French letters"... :-)>

> ....why haven't women got labels on their foreheads saying "Danger: Government

> Health Warning: Women can seriously damage your brains, genitals, current
> account, confidence, razor blades and good standing among your friends."
> -- Jeffrey Bernard, Spectator, 1984

________________________________

I have no luck with women. I once went on a date and asked the woman if
she'd brought any protection. She pulled a switch blade on me.
~ Scott Roeben

--
Owen McManus

** A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life.
-Christopher Morley **

Yabby

Mar 8, 2006, 9:41:59 PM3/8/06
Graham J Weeks wrote:

> Then I suppose I should tell you about Lord Reading's recent marriage to a woman
> some forty years younger than himself. The London Times account of the wedding
> ended, unfortunately, with this sentence 'The bridegroom's gift to the bride was
> an antique pendant.' -- Alexander Woollcott

_______________________

Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
~ headline

--
Yabby

**Don't be redundant,do not use more words than necessary; it's highly
superfluous.**

wbarwell

Mar 9, 2006, 2:26:35 AM3/9/06
The Sanity Inspector wrote:

> To many, perhaps to most people outside the small company of the great
> scholars, past and present, 'Celtic' of any sort is, nonetheless, a
> magic bag, into which anything may be put, and out of which almost
> anything may come. [...] Anything is possible in the fabulous Celtic
> twilight, which is not so much a twilight of the gods as of the reason.
> -- J. R. R. Tolkien, "English and Welsh", in _The Monsters And The
> Critics And Other Essays_, 1984

Through The Looking Glass
By Lewis Carroll

All this was lost on Alice, who was still looking intently along the road,
shading her eyes with one hand. 'I see somebody now!' she exclaimed at
last. 'But he's coming very slowly--and what curious attitudes he goes
into!' (For the messenger kept skipping up and down, and wriggling like an
eel, as he came along, with his great hands spread out like fans on each
side.)

'Not at all,' said the King. 'He's an Anglo-Saxon Messenger-- and those are
Anglo-Saxon attitudes. He only does them when he's happy. His name is
Haigha.' (He pronounced it so as to rhyme with 'mayor.')

'I love my love with an H,' Alice couldn't help beginning, 'because he is
Happy. I hate him with an H, because he is Hideous. I fed him
with--with--with Ham-sandwiches and Hay. His name is Haigha, and he
lives--'

--

So you want to fight the Master!
First you must fight my brother Chang!