NOFX: is this punk? or is it just good obnoxious fun?

1 view

Sal Id (i got sauce)

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
Forget all arguments about if NOFX is punk or not. forget what you
think about NOFX's music and lryics.now, think about the following
please:

they are sending posters of a guy jacking off a sheep AND a guy 69ing
with a sheep to industry weasels and music media weasels all across
the nation. they are also sending out an anatomicly correct blow up
sheep called a "fuck you" complete with a nice healthy orafice.

what can this accomplish?

publicity the punk rock way.

getting loads of attention from a newly reformed PMRC and the ilk of
the Christian Coalition / Jesse Helms. getting loads of popularity
without MTV or commercial radio. this is in my opinion a very very
good thing, espically cause it can turn out to be totally funny.

Please don't respond with critiques of NOFX's music and whatnot, but
rather respond showing your extreme smartlyness by debateing the
actions of the band and if this is a good idea for certain bands who
want to reach a large audience without sending MTV a video, going on a
major label (take the Epitaph being a major label or not bit to
another thread, so as the discussions can be easily found), and going
on corperate radio.

A band suceeding without doing such is punk.

tim
--
Tim Masterson --- Mass...@haven.ios.com
http://haven.ios.com/~masson12

Stompbox

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
In article <4ebqgg$4...@news2.ios.com>, mass...@haven.ios.com (Sal Id (i
got sauce)) wrote:

> Forget all arguments about if NOFX is punk or not. forget what you
> think about NOFX's music and lryics.now, think about the following
> please:

OK but NOFX still rule

> they are sending posters of a guy jacking off a sheep AND a guy 69ing
> with a sheep to industry weasels and music media weasels all across
> the nation. they are also sending out an anatomicly correct blow up
> sheep called a "fuck you" complete with a nice healthy orafice.
>
> what can this accomplish?
>
> publicity the punk rock way.

that rules too, I think, if not a little too immature, but then again
maybe fitting when we think of one of the PMRC's major exhibits during
it's rude awakening and the fact that it was a co-opted piece of "art"
from HRGiger.

Mr. Giger ekes out a very comfortable life I am sure by his art and set
design for such _marginally successful_ movies such as the ALIEN series
(maybe just 1 and 2). Why didn't they decry the whole set design for those
movies as well as the poster included with Bedtime for Democracy - same
artist he must have the same decript moral structure in all his work.

I think my point is that maybe NOFX could have stuffed a bunch of play
money and a copy of the bill of rights in a rubber chicken and sent it to
the same people. BUt since we are not really dealing with _politics_ when
we deal with an inital album release but with a business maybe they could
have sent fake contracts stuck inside pig butts or something. The sheep
thing will freak these people out and away from any thought, or being that
we are talking record industry types it may make NOFX next years most
sought after band.

I can hear a bunch of ponytails covering their cellular phones and saying
"alright...when are these guys coming to town? - I want to party with
them, great now I'm horny"

--
"....aqui yo quiero trago, aqui yo quiero trago, aqui yo quiero trago o rompemos la radiola..."

tang

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
hey you all...

a popular commercial radio station in the los angeles area has just
started playing the new nofx. apparently, one of the djs got the
copy from a retail store and started playing it. if you're in the
area, give the station a call and request that they not play it.

late

mor...@yin.earlham.edu

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
In Article <fkerm-27019...@fkerm.port.net>

fk...@interport.net (Stompbox) writes:
>In article <4ebqgg$4...@news2.ios.com>, mass...@haven.ios.com (Sal Id (i
>got sauce)) wrote:
>
>> Forget all arguments about if NOFX is punk or not. forget what you
>> think about NOFX's music and lryics.now, think about the following
>> please:
>> they are sending posters of a guy jacking off a sheep AND a guy 69ing
>> with a sheep to industry weasels and music media weasels all across
>> the nation. they are also sending out an anatomicly correct blow up
>> sheep called a "fuck you" complete with a nice healthy orafice.
>>
>> what can this accomplish?
>>
>> publicity the punk rock way.

I'm not saying that sending a picture of Fat Mike deep throating a sheep to
radio reps isn't kind of funny, but let's not get carried away. I worked at a
college radio station for awhile, and I can guarantee you that this "publicity
the punk rock way" is no more "radical" or "shocking" than most of the dumb
promotional bullshit that goes around in those circles. Some guy sucking a
sheep, PLEASE.

>> what can this accomplish?
>>
>> publicity the punk rock way.
>>
>> getting loads of attention from a newly reformed PMRC and the ilk of
>> the Christian Coalition / Jesse Helms. getting loads of popularity
>> without MTV or commercial radio. this is in my opinion a very very
>> good thing, espically cause it can turn out to be totally funny.

Um, I don't really see how sending promotional gimmicks out to music industry
goons has anything to do with "getting loads of popularity without MTV or
commercial radio". No matter how silly or gross they try to be, they're still
shamelessly pandering to the man.

>> Please don't respond with critiques of NOFX's music and whatnot, but
>> rather respond showing your extreme smartlyness by debateing the
>> actions of the band and if this is a good idea for certain bands who
>> want to reach a large audience without sending MTV a video, going on a
>> major label (take the Epitaph being a major label or not bit to
>> another thread, so as the discussions can be easily found), and going
>> on corperate radio.

Like I said, it doesn't matter how weird or gross their posters are, I promise
you on my mother's grave that some cheesy metal band has sent the same radio
stations something even more disgusting. Do you have any idea what kind of
promo packs Brujeria, or the Genitorturers (for instance) sent out? Have you
ever REALLY looked at a Cannibal Corpse album? Nickel and dime shock tactics
are the stock in trade of an entire industry of record company promo
departments. There is nothing "punk" about any of this bullshit. So in
answer to your question, "No." Sending out posters of guys fucking sheep has
NOTHING to do with avoiding major labels, MTV, or commercial radio. What it
has LOTS to do with is basically sucking industry dick while trying to make it
look like you're actually pulling some kind great punk "coup". The reason they
are sending those posters is NOT to jar the radio industry out of its
complacency. NOFX are NOT trying to be martyrs to the PMRC. Quite simply,
they are sending out those posters so that radio stations will play their songs
(insert "Please play this song on the radio" joke here, if you dare) and people
who listen to those radio stations will buy their CDs. The long and short of
all this "publicity the punk rock way" is that both Brett Gurewitz and Fat Mike
get to buy new cars. And for the record, I own about five or six NOFX CDs. I
think they've been a great band ever since "Ribbed".

>> A band suceeding without doing such is punk.

"Being punk means I can eat a million pickles in an hour."
Steve Albini

>> tim
>> --
>> -=-I LIKE COLD BEVERAGES-=-

Fess up, Tim. You're a giant "G-Love and the Special Sauce" fan, aren't you?
I'm not; I go the CD for free, listened to it once, and gave it to a girl for
her birthday.

Stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge.
Morgan.

Sal Id (i got sauce)

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
tang <t...@maeroot.eng.uci.edu> wrote:

>hey you all...

>late

is that KROQ? or whatever? i'm in fuckin' New Jersey, but i thought
they always played NOFX.

sal

Dicnar2

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
I got a "fuck ewe" it's cool.... fuck you man, get a life...
Assitant Publisher Isotope Fanzine |In the underground
Program Director at WKWZ Radio in Syosset|image doens't mean a thing
I can help you get shows on LI and NYC |In the underground
Bass Player (Need a Punk band on LI) | integrity lies within
I do bar mitvah's too

LI UPCOMING SHOWS: H2O and Furious George at YMCA. Garden Variety,
Sinkhole and others at the PWAC...... Email me for details...

Chris Crosswalk

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
NOFX, to me, has never been about being punk or not. They're
the kind of group that could easily make it big without
sacrificing their integrity. I just think their humor would
die.

To me, they've always been about playing fast, tight music. My
first punk experience was NOFX- Ribbed. Fuck yeah! That's what
started it all for me. After catching them live at the Epitaph
Summer Nationals in '95, I was amazed. They sounded as tight
and together as their album.

So I guess, NOFX is FUN for PUNKS.

-Chris Crosswalk
<A HREF="chr...@chiba.netxn.com">E-mail me at
chr...@chiba.netxn.com</a href>

Mario / Out Of Order

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
Yup. and I am partly responsible, as is Tang, for the sending out of
those Sheep posters and the Official Orificial NOFX Fuck Ewe. You see,
me and tang work at Epiataph and we call all the indy stores and what not
and have these posters sent to each store. and zines get em too. NOFX
is basically anti-media at this point. they are not doing videos or
radio singles (whats new) and they are not doing interviews. all
interview requests are being denied and answereed by thier publicist Jeff
Abarta. Originally the SheepLove69 picture was going to be the cover of
the album.. but no one, and i mean, no one would cary it. so they had to
tone it down slightly to the guy fondeling the sheep from behind.
however, the vinyl format of the album WILL have the 69 shot and it will
be called EATING LAMB. It hits the sgreet officialy tomorrow the 30th so
go out and get it.

Sal Id (i got sauce) (mass...@haven.ios.com) wrote:
[...]

: --

o4...@unb.ca

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
The cover is NOT original. "Not Funny Anymore" did the same thing a few years
ago on the cover of their 7". The singer of NFA is friends with Fat Mike and
maybe Mike copied them. Whatever.

JD

PanosFruit

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
oooh..... if anyone has any of nofx's promotional material of sick sexual
activity with animals... please... PLEASE give me the fatty hook up... i
can trade bootlegs and stuff ;)... (also... im not some big epitaph
freak... i love boris the sprinkler, and the beatnik termites... so tra la
la..)
-alex

Pezpunk

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
In article <4ensi5$e...@news2.ios.com>, mass...@haven.ios.com (Sal Id (i
got sauce)) writes:

>uck yea, i like G Love, am not allowed to have varied tastes? i like
>lots of different bands with totally different styles and G Love is
>one of them.

no, sorry, you've broken a cardinal rule of _real_ punk rock --

hate everything anyone else likes.
and don't forget to be a smartass.

you'll never be punk now.
-pezp***

Sal Id (i got sauce)

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
mor...@yin.earlham.edu wrote:

>>> Please don't respond with critiques of NOFX's music and whatnot, but
>>> rather respond showing your extreme smartlyness by debateing the
>>> actions of the band and if this is a good idea for certain bands who
>>> want to reach a large audience without sending MTV a video, going on a
>>> major label (take the Epitaph being a major label or not bit to
>>> another thread, so as the discussions can be easily found), and going
>>> on corperate radio.

>Like I said, it doesn't matter how weird or gross their posters are, I promise

>you on my mother's grave that some cheesy metal band has sent the same radio
>stations something even more disgusting. Do you have any idea what kind of
>promo packs Brujeria, or the Genitorturers (for instance) sent out? Have you
>ever REALLY looked at a Cannibal Corpse album? Nickel and dime shock tactics
>are the stock in trade of an entire industry of record company promo
>departments. There is nothing "punk" about any of this bullshit. So in
>answer to your question, "No." Sending out posters of guys fucking sheep has
>NOTHING to do with avoiding major labels, MTV, or commercial radio. What it
>has LOTS to do with is basically sucking industry dick while trying to make it
>look like you're actually pulling some kind great punk "coup". The reason they
>are sending those posters is NOT to jar the radio industry out of its
>complacency. NOFX are NOT trying to be martyrs to the PMRC. Quite simply,
>they are sending out those posters so that radio stations will play their songs
>(insert "Please play this song on the radio" joke here, if you dare) and people
>who listen to those radio stations will buy their CDs. The long and short of
>all this "publicity the punk rock way" is that both Brett Gurewitz and Fat Mike
>get to buy new cars. And for the record, I own about five or six NOFX CDs. I
>think they've been a great band ever since "Ribbed".

i can see your point, but what i'm trying to say is that wouldn't it
be pretty darn funny to see a bunch of people get upset over silly
buisness like this?

from what i understand, they aren't even being sent out to radio
stations, and as the new album clearly says, they want corperate radio
to stop playing them.

>Fess up, Tim. You're a giant "G-Love and the Special Sauce" fan, aren't you?
>I'm not; I go the CD for free, listened to it once, and gave it to a girl for
>her birthday.

>Stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge.
>Morgan.

fuck yea, i like G Love, am not allowed to have varied tastes? i like

lots of different bands with totally different styles and G Love is

one of them. and what are you doing giving that CD away? heheh well,
most people i've ever played them for said they sucked, so i can
understand.

Tim
G Love playing Solo and Acoustic
Maxwells In Hoboken, NJ
March 1st, 8pm
$8

Boudicca

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
that cover is nasty!!! the guy and that poor sheep, omigod, it reminds me
of the York Fair.

Sal Id (i got sauce)

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
Chris Crosswalk <chr...@chiba.netxn.com> wrote:

>NOFX, to me, has never been about being punk or not. They're
>the kind of group that could easily make it big without
>sacrificing their integrity. I just think their humor would
>die.

>To me, they've always been about playing fast, tight music. My
>first punk experience was NOFX- Ribbed. Fuck yeah! That's what
>started it all for me. After catching them live at the Epitaph
>Summer Nationals in '95, I was amazed. They sounded as tight
>and together as their album.

>So I guess, NOFX is FUN for PUNKS.

i can agree with that, but they haven't lost their humor, espically on
their new album "hotdog in the hallway"

tim

Sal Id (i got sauce)

Feb 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/4/96
pez...@aol.com (Pezpunk) wrote:

>In article <4ensi5$e...@news2.ios.com>, mass...@haven.ios.com (Sal Id (i
>got sauce)) writes:

>>uck yea, i like G Love, am not allowed to have varied tastes? i like
>>lots of different bands with totally different styles and G Love is
>>one of them.

>no, sorry, you've broken a cardinal rule of _real_ punk rock --

>hate everything anyone else likes.
>and don't forget to be a smartass.

>you'll never be punk now.
>-pezp***