Social Blindness

John Smith

Jul 8, 2002, 7:33:38 AM7/8/02
Hi!

Is social blindness a common term in psychology?

-----------------

Timo Salmi wrote in article <afl67l$n...@poiju.uwasa.fi> in
news.groups.questions,news.groups 2002-06-29 13:54:13 PST:

> attention seeking by attacting the long-established netiquette and its
> advocates is one fairly frequent way of seeking cheap recognition on the
> Usenet.

Some people are (partially) socially blind, and they need logical reasons
WHY to behave in a particular way.

The reason for social blindness could be because of young age, upbringing,
mental disorder, brain damage or use of drugs.

Here are some examples about social blindness:

Antisocial Personality
http://www.millon.net/Taxonomy/ANT.htm
- socially unorthodox beliefs and morals

Antisocial Personality Disorder
http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-pe04.html
http://www.bconnex.net/~cspcc/psychopathy/diag.htm
- callous unconcern for the feelings of others
- incapacity to experience guilt
- failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as
indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
- pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of
others

Asperger's syndrome
http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-ch07.html
http://www.isn.net/~jypsy/whataspe.htm
- Qualitative impairment in social interaction
- lack of appreciation of social cues
- socially and emotionally inappropriate behavior

Autistic Disorder
http://www.mentalhealth.com/icd/p22-ch06.html
http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-ch06.html
- inadequate appreciation of socio-emotional cues
- poor synchrony and lack of reciprocity in conversational interchange
- impairment in social interaction

Avoidant Personality Disorder
http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-pe08.html
- pervasive pattern of social inhibition

Borderline Personality Disorder
http://www.mentalhealth.com/icd/p22-pe05.html
- the abnormal behaviour pattern is pervasive and clearly maladaptive to a
broad range of personal and social situations

Conduct Disorder
http://www.mentalhealth.com/icd/p22-ch02.html
http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-ch02.html
- dissocial, aggressive, or defiant conduct

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
http://www.mentalhealth.com/icd/p22-pe10.html
http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-pe10.html
- rigidity and stubbornness
- inflexible about matters of morality, ethics, or values

Oppositional Defiant Disorder
http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-ch05.html
- often argues with adults
- often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults' requests or rules

Paranoid Personality Disorder
http://www.mentalhealth.com/icd/p22-pe01.html
- a combative and tenacious sense of personal rights out of keeping with
the actual situation

Schizoid Personality Disorder
http://www.mentalhealth.com/icd/p22-pe02.html
- marked insensitivity to prevailing social norms and conventions

Schizophreniform Disorder
http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-ps04.html
- delusions

Schizotypal Personality Disorder
http://www.mentalhealth.com/icd/p22-pe03.html
http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-pe03.html
- behaviour or appearance that is odd, eccentric, or peculiar
- A pervasive pattern of social and interpersonal deficits
- odd beliefs or magical thinking that influences behavior and is
inconsistent with subcultural norms

Carolyn Schwebel

Jul 8, 2002, 2:39:20 PM7/8/02
I don't think so,,,and it should not be, as it seems negative to blind people!

But I did find a reference: at http://www.visaid.dk/eng_class.htm

"Danish social classification of visual impairment

The extent of visual impairment, among other things
has
impact on social security benefits. Despite
recognition as an
international standard for scientific and
statistical purposes the
WHO classification of visual impairment has not
been
officially adopted in Denmark. Attention is now
directed to
possible practical corollaries of the ICIDH
classification in the
future.

According to Danish practice and legislation,
visual impairment
is categorised with the following groups based on
best
corrected visual acuity (VA) in the better eye or
binocularly.

Category 0: Normal - subnormal vision > 6/18
(0.33)

Category A: Low vision ("svagsynethed") £ 6/18
(0.33) - >
6/60 (0.1)

Category B: Social blindness £ 6/60 (0.1) - > 1/60
(0.02)

Category C: Near total blindness £ 1/60 (0.02)

Category D: Total blindness Light perception
without
projection (-L-P) - No Light perception (-L)

Carolyn Schwebel

Jul 8, 2002, 2:41:04 PM7/8/02
Sorry, just goto the URL and ignore my copy..

Carolyn Schwebel wrote:

--
A contented malcontent.
http://www.equalizers.org

Dwayne Staley

Jul 8, 2002, 12:50:51 PM7/8/02
I don't know if it is or not but to this blind man it sounds more like a
disease. I don't think that it is "politically" correct.
Dwayne

"John Smith" <no....@no.spam.fi> wrote in message

John Smith

Jul 9, 2002, 5:02:52 AM7/9/02

Dwayne Staley wrote:

> John Smith wrote:
>
> Is social blindness a common term in psychology?
>

> > I don't think that it is "politically" correct.

Is there a better term than "social blindness"?

John Jones

Jul 9, 2002, 1:25:21 PM7/9/02
Social blindness is not a common term in psychology. Therefore, it must be a
rare disease.
If you have been told you have got social blindness and a psychologist told
you that, then you are a nutcase who needs slapping back into normality with
drugs.
If you have been told you have got social blindness and your mother has told
you that, then there is something wrong with your mother and she needs
slapping down.
If you think that you have got social blindness, then fuck off.

wayne rasmussen

Jul 9, 2002, 7:11:55 PM7/9/02

John Smith wrote:

I always liked nymphomaniac!

Lila Godel

Jul 9, 2002, 10:02:26 PM7/9/02
"John Smith" <no....@no.spam.fi> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Is social blindness a common term in psychology?

Check out Face Blind! Bill's Face Blindness (Prosopagnosia) Page at
http://www.choisser.com/faceblind.

Dwayne Staley

Jul 9, 2002, 8:31:40 AM7/9/02
Right!

"Hairy Potter" <I_...@not.home.com> wrote in message
> Wow! "Political Correctness" on steroids!

Dwayne Staley

Jul 12, 2002, 5:06:56 PM7/12/02
One question Ms. Carolyn S..... are you blind???
Dwayne

"Carolyn Schwebel" <c...@equalizers.org> wrote in message

Dwayne Staley

Carolyn Schwebel

Jul 13, 2002, 5:42:01 PM7/13/02
No, I'm not blind; I have a walking disability (and Ocular Hypertension that may
someday lead to glaucoma)
Carolyn

tony auer

Jul 15, 2002, 2:55:36 PM7/15/02
Ok, I give up, what's the definition of social blindness? I assume it's got
nothing to do with eyesight.

"Dwayne Staley" <dwayne...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

John Smith

Jul 15, 2002, 7:36:43 PM7/15/02

Social blindness is term I invented to mean to not
understand the consequences of one's actions.

I would like to know is that term commonly in
use in psychology and should it even be used?

Here are some examples about social blindness (the sci.psychology was a
bogus newsgroup so here the examples again for the readers of
sci.psychology.misc):

Carolyn Schwebel

Jul 15, 2002, 7:46:46 PM7/15/02
As a school psychologist, I have not noted the term in common usage. I do not
believe that it should be used. In addition to being demeaning to blind people,
the term is inaccurate, as I mentioned in an earlierr post:. The problem, as
you suggest, it is not actually a type of blindness.Rather, it is "not
understanding," or misperceiving, inaccuaretly processing, what is seen or
experienced.
Carolyn

John Smith wrote:

> Social blindness is term I invented to mean to not
> understand the consequences of one's actions.
>
> I would like to know is that term commonly in
> use in psychology and should it even be used?

<snip>

tony auer

Jul 17, 2002, 11:13:19 AM7/17/02
You invented this term, and you'e wondering if psychologists are using it?
Isn't this a little presumptuous on your part?

> Social blindness is term I invented to mean to not
> understand the consequences of one's actions.

You invented this term, and you'e wondering if psychologists are using it?
Isn't this a little presumptuous on your part?
Anyway, the only example given below that fits your definition would be
autism, right? I think in the others, he consequences are understood, but
disregarded. Especially your Oppositionally Defiant Disorder. What is this?

- often argues with adults
- often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults' requests or rules

THis is what teenagers do for a living. How can you say it's some bizarre
behavior?

John Smith

Jul 17, 2002, 11:47:51 AM7/17/02

tony auer wrote:

>"John Smith" <no....@no.spam.fi> wrote in message
>>
>> Social blindness is term I invented to mean to not
>> understand the consequences of one's actions.
>
>You invented this term, and you'e wondering if psychologists are using it?
>Isn't this a little presumptuous on your part?

I wanted to be absolutely sure that no-one ever in the history of mankind
has invented that term before me. And if it had been invented before me, I
would like to know, how that term is defined by him/her.

Someone

Jul 19, 2002, 2:36:05 PM7/19/02
I have to admit, in the history of misc.handicap, this may be the stupidest
thread that has ever existed. (Not just the two articles quoted below.)

"John Smith" <no....@no.spam.fi> wrote in message

Dwayne Staley

Jul 19, 2002, 5:48:06 PM7/19/02
Agreed, and I am blind.
Dwayne
"Someone" <som...@aol.com> wrote in message

tony auer

Jul 19, 2002, 7:18:46 PM7/19/02
Oh, you haven't been around long enough. One guy thought it was a good idea
to allow people with handicapped parking plates to b able to sell these to
able-bodied people, so the ABs could park in handicapped spots, and the
'caps could make a few bucks.

This John Smith guy posted to several phychology groups, in addition to
misc.handicap. He was hoping to, what, win a cookie for coming up with
another psychobabble term. Good for him! He wants to make sure noone's ever
used this term before, so he posts to a few newsgroups. Hardly an exhaustive
effort.

John Smith

Jul 19, 2002, 7:30:28 PM7/19/02

tony auer wrote:

>He wants to make sure noone's ever used this term before

Yes, because I didn't want to misuse that term if it would have been in
use.

John 'the Man'

Jul 24, 2002, 7:28:43 AM7/24/02
Once upon a time, our fellow John Smith
rambled on about "Re: Social Blindness."
Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.psychology.misc retorts, thusly

>Social blindness is term I invented to mean to not
>understand the consequences of one's actions.
>
>I would like to know is that term commonly in
>use in psychology and should it even be used?

A search in Google shows the phrase *already* in use.

Classification of visual impairment
http://www.visaid.dk/eng_class.htm
... 6/60 (0.1). Category B: Social blindness Ł 6/60 (0.1) - > 1/60
(0.02).
Category C: Near total blindness Ł 1/60 (0.02). Category D ...

Tanja Gabriele Klein

Jul 26, 2002, 12:40:59 AM7/26/02
John Smith <no....@no.spam.fi> wrote:

> Is social blindness a common term in psychology?

I've never heard it; in German newspapers the term "soziale Blindheit"
(means the same) is sometimes used as a kind of metaphor for
institutions who lose sight of their human clients and their needs,
but I don't know it as a technical term in Psych. What it MIGHT mean
is the inability to establish emotional contacts to other people found
in autism/Asperger's syndrome (as to judge from your links).

Regards, Tanja

Carolyn Schwebel

Jul 29, 2002, 3:49:22 PM7/29/02
I suggest you toss it in the trash and go back to the drawing board....

John Smith wrote:

Aly

Aug 1, 2002, 11:53:06 AM8/1/02
> > Is social blindness a common term in psychology?
> >
> > > I don't think that it is "politically" correct.
>
> Is there a better term than "social blindness"?

How is it posssible to find out if there is a "better" term for social blindness
if no one has answered exactly what social blindness is?

Aly

Aug 1, 2002, 12:18:30 PM8/1/02
> > Is social blindness a common term in psychology?
>
> I've never heard it; in German newspapers the term "soziale Blindheit"
> (means the same) is sometimes used as a kind of metaphor for
> institutions who lose sight of their human clients and their needs

As a Psychology major, I have come across the term "social blindness"
and it is to mean neither a loss for client's needs nor does it mean

"The reason for social blindness could be because of young age,

upbringing, mental disorder, brain damage or use of drugs". My
understanding of social blindness is that the rules, or expectations,
for appropriate behavior in a particular social situation is
disregarded, whether by malicious intent or not.

Carolyn Schwebel

Aug 1, 2002, 2:19:48 PM8/1/02
I concur with this meaning, although I still dislike the term.

Aly wrote:

Aly

Aug 2, 2002, 12:21:14 PM8/2/02

> > > I've never heard it; in German newspapers the term "soziale Blindheit"
> > > (means the same) is sometimes used as a kind of metaphor for
> > > institutions who lose sight of their human clients and their needs
> >
> > As a Psychology major, I have come across the term "social blindness"
> > and it is to mean neither a loss for client's needs nor does it mean
> > "The reason for social blindness could be because of young age,
> > upbringing, mental disorder, brain damage or use of drugs". My
> > understanding of social blindness is that the rules, or expectations,
> > for appropriate behavior in a particular social situation is
> > disregarded, whether by malicious intent or not.
>
> I concur with this meaning, although I still dislike the term.

Whether you agree with this meaning or not is your prerogative, but on
what basis have you come to such a conclusion?

Carolyn Schwebel

Aug 18, 2002, 3:30:56 PM8/18/02

Aly wrote:
<snip>

> My
> > > understanding of social blindness is that the rules, or expectations,
> > > for appropriate behavior in a particular social situation is
> > > disregarded, whether by malicious intent or not.
> >
> > I concur with this meaning, although I still dislike the term.
>
> Whether you agree with this meaning or not is your prerogative, but on
> what basis have you come to such a conclusion?

Simply because it uses "blindness as a negative, as is commonly done in the
press, e.g., "Governor is blind to need for roads," or similarly, "Mother's
plea falls on deaf ears."

ROBIN M PETERS

Aug 20, 2002, 2:17:21 PM8/20/02
Then you'd think that people would avoid the term "social blindness" like
the plague - just like people use the term "Down's syndrome" anymore because
"mongolism" was seen as being too much of a PC hot potato. Come to think of
it, Asperger's does sound better than "social blindness," IMHO.

Robin Peters
http://www.epinions.com/user-kidnykid
http://www.epinions.com/content_2796003460/stf_~1
http://www.epinions.com/content_2814812292/stf_~1
Record casualties - my wits, as in frightened out of.
(Leonard McCoy, MD, ship's surgeon, USS Enterprise)

Diane Steptoe

Sep 5, 2002, 9:08:25 AM9/5/02
NewDawn <New...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.17bbe3cb...@news.alt.net>...
> In article <b2ffddb8.02080...@posting.google.com>,
> tbut...@yahoo.com says...
> Aspergers, is what one might be dx'd with for social blindness.
>
> It's an HFA, as people are highly functioning but for that, so thought
> related to autism somehow.

I would think that "social blindness" referred to the way that non
disabled people react to people with a disability. Like they were from
amother planet.

Mark Probert

Sep 5, 2002, 11:46:45 AM9/5/02

"Diane Steptoe" <aste...@windsor.net.au> wrote in message

It is a mother ship from another planet...

Carolyn Schwebel

Sep 13, 2002, 1:40:34 PM9/13/02

Diane Steptoe wrote:

> <snip>

> I would think that "social blindness" referred to the way that non
> disabled people react to people with a disability. Like they were from
> amother planet.

Now that definition I like! :-)

John Smith

Sep 17, 2002, 5:29:44 AM9/17/02

John Jones wrote:

> Social blindness is not a common term in psychology.

The first time I searched for "social blindness" was on June 2002, and at
that time I found only one match, which is about visual impairment:

http://www.visaid.dk/eng_class.htm

But now I have found more web pages, which contain the term social
blindness:

"Social blindness is unable to see the social opportunities for a higher
psychological effort. Psychological blindness is inability to see or
understand or comprehend the shortcomings which we enjoy now."
http://www.motherservice.org/DailyMsgs/SeriesI201.htm

"How reconcile this world of fact with the bright world of my imagining? My
darkness has been filled with the light of intelligence, and behold, the
outer day-light world was stumbling and groping in social blindness.
Keller, Helen (1880 - 1968)
US writer and lecturer. The Cry for Justice (ed. Upton Sinclair), 1915"
http://www.xrefer.com/entry/208143

"As the Norwegian saying implies, the "bad master" part of the market is
its moral and social blindness - combined with a tendency to excess."
http://www.arts.mcgill.ca/programs/misc/socdem/osberg.htm

"We also call on our elder generations and those in power to support and
mentor us in our vision -- to help us shape the present so that the
future citizens will not remember our generation as one of wasteful
consumerism and social blindness."
http://members.tripod.com/ysec/rrdoc.htm

" And that is the kind of social "blindness" which is the inevitable result
of an excessive amount of monochromatic green political "enlightenment." "
http://www.intellectools.net/obnox/obx302.html

"This social blindness has contributed mightily to many Muslim "huddled
masses" in the United States emotionally and religiously divesting
themselves of responsibility to attend to the neighborly needs of the have
nots."
http://www.soundvision.com/Info/Islam/poor.duty.asp

"Social blindness and silence, however, is what is causing this problem to
become a major social ill with no cure in sight."
http://www.thekidsandi.com/about.htm

"Does not the gap between (once) public American values of caring and
decency and American practices of exclusion and prejudice border on
hypocrisy and social blindness?"
http://www.prrac.org/topics/may99/miller.htm

"This, in turn, has occasioned complete social blindness to either the
facts or the potential benefits of science to humanity."
http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/s08/p2600.html

"Certain key passages, at least, were a description of my parents, of my
upbringing, of certain unspoken family motives, of the class bafflements
I'd had with prep school kids from the coasts, of patterns of social
blindness that had plagued me since adolescence."
http://www.ufobreakfast.com/archive/00000170.htm

"Looking back from these cynical times, it's easy to dismiss these comics'
naivety, their cultural and social blindness."
http://www.toonhound.com/fleetway.htm

"Facts show that it is not physical blindness but social blindness which
cheats our hands of the right to toil."
http://www.disabledwomen.net/edge/curriculum/cult_contenta5.htm

"In the following quote, the sociologist Robert S. Lynd describes one
over-arching source of social blindness."
http://www.pp.htv.fi/msiivola/monte/Dream_Appreciation_Newsletter_articles/Do_we_need_a_sociology_of_dreams.htm

"But South America has been vaccinated with social blindness amnesty and
by its political classes, and the extreme selfish runs by our veins,
nevertheless Latuff is speaking us without words, with lines and colors
about the silenced problems of South America and the world."
http://www.geocities.com/katariuta/arte1latuff.html

"That social blindness (craft unionism) along with intransigent bosses and
their agents in government left U.S. industrial workers unorganized until
the mid-1930s."
http://www.socialistaction.org/news/200009/labor.html

"Bauman underlines our social blindness to the harsh reality that the
common person is facing in his or her daily struggle to differentiate want
and needs, to overcome the constant temptation of being indiscriminate
consumer, and live life in its fullness in an unpredictable disorderly
jobless environment."
http://www.nazarene.org/iboe/riie/Didache/Didache_vol1_2/globalization.html

"We also call on our elder generations and those in power to support and
mentor us in our vision -- to help us shape the present so that future
citizens will not remember our generation as one of wasteful consumerism
and social blindness."
http://www.sloth.gr.jp/Severn-Eresponsibility.htm

"Long-term economic requirements and social concerns must take priority
over the social blindness and short-term approach of markets, especially
financial markets."
http://www.goethe.de/in/d/frames/presse/wahlsonderdienst/e/wahlsonder-pds-e.html

"Bureaucratic self-interest leads to social blindness; there is little
doubt that in U.S. cities these education bureaucracies have replaced
educational achievement with organizational survival as their major goal."
http://eric-web.tc.columbia.edu/monographs/uds110/recommendations.html

"And though, as Wodehouse proves, narrow-mindedness can be funny, social
blindness can be funny, nitwittedness can be funny, self-justification can
be funny and vacuousness can be funny, stone stupidity is boring."
http://wodehouse.ru/nyt291001.htm

"Rock music rose from the burning embers of the 50s and early 60s,
brought to a full blaze by a generation of youth provoked to action by
the perceived cultural and social blindness of their elders."
http://www.slantmagazine.com/dvd/archive/apocalypsenowredux.html

Sound track Social Blindness by Guy Moon (publisher SDS Music Publishing)
http://www.smartsound.com/edge/eg03flash.html