Official APN Recipe Thread

1 view

Woodswun

Nov 22, 2009, 12:48:51 PM11/22/09
This is the official APN Recipe Thread. This post is just the "seed"
for the thread, to get it started. If you have a recipe that you
like, post it in this threat, using the following format for the

Subject: APN Recipe - Recipe Name (Your Handle)

This should make it easier to do a search for recipes that you decide
much later you want to try.

Woodswun

Nov 22, 2009, 12:51:34 PM11/22/09

Ingredients:

crust (pastry) for 2 crust pie
(flour to spread on crust for bottom of baking dish)
3/4 - 1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground clove
1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons butter (easier to work with if kept in refrig. until
use)
6-7 firm, tart apples

Preheat oven to 425

Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl. Peel and cut apples
into "wedge" slices (moon shape). In a very large bowl, mix the apples
and dry ingredients together so that all the apple wedges are covered,
and there is no dry material left lying in the bottom of the bowl.

Flour both sides of the bottom pastry crust and put into iron frying
pan (or pie tin), patting to fit into pan. Empty apple mixture into
bottom crust. Place small slivers of butter all around/on top of
apples. Place top crust on pie, press edges to form seal. Cut 3-4
slits in top of crust for air vents.

Bake ONLY 10 minutes at 425, then reduce oven to 350 and bake until
apples are tender and crust is lightly brown. Remove from oven and
allow to cool before eating. (Can be eaten warm, but it will burn your
mouth for quite a while after taking it out of the oven)

Variations - remove one apple and add an equivalent volume in fresh
cranberries (tart taste), blueberries, or cherries.

Woodswun

Nov 22, 2009, 1:01:06 PM11/22/09

Lasagna
The key to a good lasagna is using sausage and real italian style
cheeses, and a sauce that's simmered a long time.

Ingredients

1 pound Italian sweet sausage
1 jar (32 ounces or larger) non-chunky spaghetti sauce (I use Ragu
“Traditional” with the blue on the label).
1 15 ounce can of pizza sauce
1 pound lasagna noodles
1 pount part skim mozzarella cheese
32 ounces ricotta cheese (whole milk)
garlic powder (1 - 2 teaspons)
ground pepper

Instructions:

In a large saucepan, put just enough water to cover bottom of pot. If
sausage is in links, squeeze sausage out of links into saucepan. Turn
on burner to medium heat. Chop sausage into a layer on bottom of pot.
Sprinkle generous amount of garlic powder on sausage. Grind (or
sprinkle) small amount of pepper onto sausage.

Cook sausage, making sure to chop and turn over as the sausage browns.
When the sausage is fully cooked, it should be in small pieces in a
layer of “juice”. Pour off the "juice" into a pyrex measuring cup and
place in refrigerator. When the fat has solidified, remove from
refrigerator, skim off the fat, and put the rest of the liquid/gel
back into the simmering sauce.

Pour spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce into pot. Bring to boil over
medium heat, stirring occasionally. When the sauce boils, reduce heat
to a low simmer. Keep sauce at low simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring
occasionally. (This breaks down the acidic flavor and carmelized some
of the sugars in the tomatoes, making the sauce a bit sweeter and
smoother). Remove from heat.

When the sauce has carmelized, fill a 6-8 quart pot with water and
bring to boil. Add ~ 1 teaspoon of salt to water. Add lasagna noodles,
stirring frequently to prevent noodles from sticking to each other.
Boil noodles until done, between 7 – 10 minutes. (Noodles are done
when there is no thin light-colored “line” when pasta is cut across
thickness, or when they are soft and pliable). Drain noodles in
colander, and rinse with cold water. Place noodles back into pot with
cold water, to keep them from sticking to one another as you layer the
lasagna.

In an oblong(rectangular) baking dish, put enough of the sauce to
cover the bottom. (This is to prevent any noodles from sticking to the
pan during the baking process). Layer the noodles, sauce and cheeses
as follows (**Do not overlap noodles, cut to fit if necessary, but
there should only be a single layer of noodle. )
1. Place a layer of noodles in the pan. (See ** above)
2. Ladle/spoon a thin layer of sauce over the noodles. The noodles
should be completely covered with the sauce, but it can be thin in
spots
3. “Dollop” spoonfuls of ricotta cheese over top of sauce. The
spoonfuls should be positioned evenly around the layer
4. Place mozzarella cheese around the layer. If you are using thin
slices, these should be between the spoonfuls of ricotta cheese, if
you are using shredded mozzarella, distribute evenly.

Continue the layering process, 1-4 (above) until you have run out of
either noodles or sauce. The top layer should have cheese on it, so if
you have been heavy on the cheese on lower layers, you may need to
skip the 2nd to top layer so that you have cheese on the top.

Bake in a 325 degree oven until cheese is fully melted and lasagna is
bubbling throughout.

The lasagna can be assembled a day or two ahead of time, and then
baked on the day you wish to serve it. This recipe reheats well in
the microwave.

Jane

Nov 22, 2009, 2:31:02 PM11/22/09
A couple people asked me for this recipe, so thought I'd pass it on
here. It is a nice change from the ubiquitous shrimp ring. Can be
doubled, tripled, quadrupled as desired.

Marinated Shrimp
16 oz shrimp, peeled and deveined (frozen is fine, but thaw first)
½ cup lime or lemon juice
¼ cup water
¼ cup sliced green onion
1 4-oz can diced green chilis, drained
3 tbsp olive oil
1 to 2 tbsp snipped cilantro
1 tbsp capers, drained

Cook shrimp in boiling water about 1 minute or until pink. Drain and
rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Put shrimp in a plastic bag
and put the bag in a bowl. Mix lime juice and water and pour over
shrimp in bag. Close bag and turn to distribute marinade. Chill 8
hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally.

Drain shrimp and discard marinade. Add remaining ingredients to shrimp
along with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill at least 2 hours
before serving.

Jane

Nov 22, 2009, 2:35:25 PM11/22/09
I use a bone-in or deboned leg...whatever I happen to have. Good cold
weather dinner. I got it from the Toronto Star. They say ten servings;
I say that is a stretch, unless they aren't very hungry.

Seven-Hour Leg of Lamb

Adapted from La Régalade: Simple French Bistro Food at Home (2005,
$29.95) by Alain Rayé. Previously a Michelin-starred chef in France,
Rayé moved to Vancouver and opened La Régalade bistro. The recipe
calls for a leg of lamb slightly bigger than those I saw on display
recently at the St. Lawrence Market, but a butcher there cut one for
me. Ask for the lamb to be rolled and tied into a leg shape with
kitchen twine, or do it yourself. A 7-litre oval roasting pan fit this
exactly. This yields a lot of liquid; you can turn the leftovers into
soup.

2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 boneless leg of lamb (about 5 lb/2-1/4 kg), tied
2 onions, cut in large dice
2 carrots, peeled, washed, cut in cubes
1 head garlic, cloves separated, peeled, crushed
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup white wine
2 tbsp tomato paste
3 each: bay leaves, sprigs thyme
2 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Chopped parsley to taste
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in extra-large skillet on medium-high heat.
Brown lamb on all sides. Transfer lamb to medium oval roasting pan.

Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Add
onions, carrots and garlic. Cook, stirring, until golden, about 3
minutes. Spoon over lamb.

Add stock, wine and tomato paste to skillet. Turn heat to medium-high.
Cook, stirring, until mixture is on verge of boiling. Stir in bay
leaves, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour over lamb. Cover and braise in
preheated 225F oven seven hours.

Remove lamb to cutting board. Discard string. Strip off and discard
any outer skin. Cut into chunks, trimming fat as needed. Cover to keep
warm.

Discard thyme and bay leaves from cooking liquid. Purée liquid. Skim
fat, or pour through gravy separator and discard fat.

To serve, put meat in wide bowls. Ladle liquid over top. Sprinkle with
parsley.

Makes 10 servings.

Woodswun

Nov 22, 2009, 2:35:36 PM11/22/09

Oh, this sounds good!!

I once tried a shrimp marinade recipe that had a heavy reliance on
vinegar, and it was dreadful. This one sounds really yummy - printing
this one!! :-)

Woods

Jane

Nov 22, 2009, 2:45:23 PM11/22/09

It's originally from a Better Homes and Gardens Mexican cookbook. They
call for 8 oz shrimp and scallops, but it is difficult to get decent
scallops inland (after you have tasted them down east), so I have only
ever used the shrimp.

Woodswun

Nov 22, 2009, 3:02:18 PM11/22/09

Thanks for the info - I'll try that!! Can you get the frozen
scallops? We can get frozen bay scallops on sale every once in a
great while. I'm quite a bit closer to the seashore than you, and I'm
pretty iffy with the fresh fish where I am - I'm fortunate to be able
to get some pretty decent scallops on occasion. With regular fish,
the stores will sometimes turn their fillets upside-down so you can't
tell if the flesh is starting to separate, but I always ask to look or
just keep walking.

Woods

Woodswun

Nov 22, 2009, 3:12:04 PM11/22/09
This originally came from a cookbook called "Canadian Family
Cookbook". Mr Woods grew up with sauerbraten, since his mom is
partially of German decent (and they had some German friends) and he
thinks this is the best he's ever tasted.

4-5 pounds beef round or rump roast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1/2 cup seedless raisins (I use zante currants)
1 cup sour cream

Marinade
2 cups red wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large lemon, cut into thin slices
3 bay leaves
1 small piece of cinnamon stick
1 inch slice of fresh ginger
1/2 teaspon whole allspice
1/2 teaspoon whole white peppercorns
1/4 teaspon whole cloves
2 tablespoons lard/bacon fat/crisco (any of the 3)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Rub the beef all over with salt and pepper, and put it into a large
earthenware, ceramic or glass casserole (or very large sealable
plastic baggie).

Put the vinegar, brown sugar, lemon slices and spices in a saucepan
and bring them to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Immediately
remove the pan from the heat and let it cool to lukewarm. Pour this
marinade over the beef. Cover the casserole (or seal the baggie) and
refrigerate for 5-7 days.

Remove the beef from the casserole, reserving the marinade. Pat off
excess moisture from the beef, and dust it with the flour. Heat the
lard/whatever in a large saucepan over moderate to high heat and
quickly brown the beef on all sides. Remove the beef from the pan, add
the onions and carrot, and saute them for 3 to 5 minutes, until
browned.

Return the beef to the pan and add the marinade and, if necessary,
enough water to cover the meat. Bring the liquid to a boil, then
reduce the heat, cover the pan and low simmer the beef for about 3
hours, until very tender.

Strain off the cooking liquid into another saucepan, add the raisins,
and boil it until it has a thick, almost syrupy consistency, about 15
minutes. Stir in the sour cream and heat the sauce through. Slice the
meat, arrange it on a heated serving platter, and spoon the sauce over
it.

*I usually make double batch of the marinade/sauce, since it's so
yummy that it goes very fast.

Jane

Nov 22, 2009, 4:57:46 PM11/22/09

I've heard of sauerbraten, but never made it. Looks delicious!

In answer to your other question, we can get frozen scallops here.
They just aren't the same as when you buy them fresh in PEI.

Jane

Nov 22, 2009, 5:07:53 PM11/22/09
This is dinner tonight, :). From Gourmet Magazine's cookbook. Speaking
of which, there is another magazine I just discovered called Fine
Cooking that I like as much or more than Gourmet.

Cook the pork to your liking. I have a mental block about pink pork. I
like beef to bleed all over my plate, but I still remember the
warnings about trichinosis. (Plus, I had to give it to mice in
parasitology, so I've seen it in action, lol). If you like it pink,
roast about 20 minutes. If not, 30 minutes is okay. It will still be
tender.

Island Pork Tenderloins

Spice rub:
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly-ground pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder (I use ancho)
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix the rub and pat it all over 2 pork tenderloins.

Heat 2 tbsp olive oil until almost smoking in a large oven-safe
skillet.

Add the pork and brown quickly. Remove from heat; leave in pan.

Mix together 1 cup packed brown sugar, 2 tbsp finely chopped or
pressed garlic and 1 tbsp Tabasco (reduce if you must).

Pat this mixture on top of the tenderloins. Roast in 350F oven for
20-30 minutes. Cover with foil and let stand 10 minutes. Slice thinly
on the diagonal.

Jane

Nov 22, 2009, 5:29:02 PM11/22/09
I like to give credit where it is due, but this is my own recipe. If
you like strong greens, you'll love it. Makes a great side dish or
lunch. I usually do the latter, as my husband and son don't like
rapini (they think) and won't even try it.

Wash and coarsely chop one bunch of rapini. Combine with a package of
fresh gnocchi from the grocery store (if you like to make your own
gnocchi, you'll likely adjust the recipe). Dump it all in boiling
water and boil about three minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Heat some olive oil in the same pot. Saute a chopped onion and a
couple chopped cloves of garlic. Add a little chicken broth (about 1/2
cup) when they are tender and sprinkle in some hot pepper flakes to
taste. Dump the gnocchi/rapini into the pot and cook and stir until
heated through and not too wet. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Woodswun

Nov 22, 2009, 7:26:40 PM11/22/09
On Nov 22, 5:07 pm, Jane <pushlin...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> This is dinner tonight, :). From Gourmet Magazine's cookbook. Speaking
> of which, there is another magazine I just discovered called Fine
> Cooking that I like as much or more than Gourmet.

Didn't Gourmet cease publication? I never bought it, but I was at
least aware of its existence.

> Cook the pork to your liking. I have a mental block about pink pork. I
> like beef to bleed all over my plate, but I still remember the
> warnings about trichinosis. (Plus, I had to give it to mice in
> parasitology, so I've seen it in action, lol). If you like it pink,
> roast about 20 minutes. If not, 30 minutes is okay. It will still be
> tender.

I'll only eat pink pork if it's pink because of loooonnng cooking,
like a barbeque. I'm with you about the trichinosis!! (I don't need
to see it in action, thankyouverymuch!! ;-)

> Island Pork Tenderloins
>
> Spice rub:
> 2 tsp salt
> 1/2 tsp freshly-ground pepper
> 1 tsp ground cumin
> 1 tsp chili powder (I use ancho)
> 1 tsp ground cinnamon
>
> Mix the rub and pat it all over 2 pork tenderloins.
>
> Heat 2 tbsp olive oil until almost smoking in a large oven-safe
> skillet.
>
> Add the pork and brown quickly. Remove from heat; leave in pan.
>
> Mix together 1 cup packed brown sugar, 2 tbsp finely chopped or
> pressed garlic and 1 tbsp Tabasco (reduce if you must).
>
> Pat this mixture on top of the tenderloins. Roast in 350F oven for
> 20-30 minutes. Cover with foil and let stand 10 minutes. Slice thinly
> on the diagonal.

I think my mom would like this - she loves pork.

Woods

Woodswun

Nov 22, 2009, 7:28:52 PM11/22/09

My brother-in-law likes to make gnocchi (he used to use a spoon, I got
them a pasta maker at a garage sale so he didn't have to do that
anymore). I'll pass this along to him and tell him it came from one
of my online friends. (He is not online yet!!)

Woods

Jane

Nov 22, 2009, 7:33:09 PM11/22/09
On Nov 22, 7:26 pm, Woodswun <woods...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 22, 5:07 pm, Jane <pushlin...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This is dinner tonight, :). From Gourmet Magazine's cookbook. Speaking
> > of which, there is another magazine I just discovered called Fine
> > Cooking that I like as much or more than Gourmet.
>
> Didn't Gourmet cease publication?  I never bought it, but I was at
> least aware of its existence.

Now that you mention it, I think they have...or will. I did buy an
issue not that long ago.

> > Cook the pork to your liking. I have a mental block about pink pork. I
> > like beef to bleed all over my plate, but I still remember the
> > warnings about trichinosis. (Plus, I had to give it to mice in
> > parasitology, so I've seen it in action, lol). If you like it pink,
> > roast about 20 minutes. If not, 30 minutes is okay. It will still be
> > tender.
>
> I'll only eat pink pork if it's pink because of loooonnng cooking,
> like a barbeque.  I'm with you about the trichinosis!!  (I don't need
> to see it in action, thankyouverymuch!! ;-)

Lol! now the recommendation for pork tenderloin is to have it a bit
pink in the center. Nope...can't do it, :).

Jane

Nov 22, 2009, 7:34:40 PM11/22/09

Hopefully, he likes rapini. It's very strong, but sooo good for you. I
love strong greens, personally, but the rest of my family does not.

Woodswun

Nov 22, 2009, 7:50:10 PM11/22/09

I don't really like them, but it depends on what they are. I do NOT
like bitter anything, but other strong flavors are ok, depending on
what they're in with.

Woods

Doc

Nov 23, 2009, 7:28:58 AM11/23/09

"Woodswun" <wood...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

2-multi-grain organic waffles
2 tbsp. Maranatha creamy almond butter
2 oz. Mrs. Buttersworth original syrup
1 oz. margarine
1 tbsp. blackberry seedless preserves
1 oz. Cool Whip (original)
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
2 oz. drained mandarin oranges

Toast the waffles (of course), spread both with butter, stack them.
Spread the almond butter on both.
Spread the blackberry jelly on the bottom waffle only.
Sprinkle the sesame seeds on the top waffle only.
Pour the syrup on top. Plop a scoop of the whip on top of that.
Place the oranges around the waffle stack.
Dig in, burp after finishing, and wash down with milk.

;))~~

Werewolfy

Nov 23, 2009, 7:47:32 AM11/23/09
On 23 Nov, 12:28, "Doc" <cmdrl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Toast the waffles (of course), spread both with butter, stack them.
> Spread the almond butter on both.
> Spread the blackberry jelly on the bottom waffle only.
> Sprinkle the sesame seeds on the top waffle only.
> Pour the syrup on top. Plop a scoop of the whip on top of that.
> Place the oranges around the waffle stack.

> Go to the dustbin and throw the vile stuff inside it.

Werewolfy

Doc

Nov 23, 2009, 9:03:38 AM11/23/09

"Werewolfy" <Werew...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Well, apparently, not everyone has the same...'dream.'

;))~

Werewolfy

Nov 23, 2009, 9:41:33 AM11/23/09
On 23 Nov, 14:03, "Doc" <cmdrl...@gmail.com> wrote:

"Well, apparently, not everyone has the same...'dream.'

Only one dream matters, Doc.

A cafe in SW France, a coffee and croissent and Suzi Quatro looking at
me as she looks at Smokie in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEX-exLd8BY

That would be pure Heaven.

Werewolfy

Woodswun

Nov 23, 2009, 9:23:05 PM11/23/09
On Nov 23, 7:28 am, "Doc" <cmdrl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Woodswun" <woods...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sounds like one of my sons' dreams, too! :-)

Woods

Doc

Nov 24, 2009, 2:19:19 AM11/24/09

"Woodswun" <wood...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Woods

Well, at least you appreciate the value of 'vile stuff'. I'm disappointed
Wolfy hasn't eaten this heavenly confection, and has turned against my
Waffle Dream. He doesn't know what he's missing.
I have an orgasm every time I eat it.

Doc

Jane

Nov 24, 2009, 5:21:31 AM11/24/09

I'm disappointed with the 'Mrs. Butterworth'. What's wrong with good
old Canadian maple syrup?

Werewolfy

Nov 24, 2009, 6:12:45 AM11/24/09
On 24 Nov, 07:19, "Doc" <cmdrl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, at least you appreciate the value of 'vile stuff'. I'm disappointed
> Wolfy hasn't eaten this heavenly confection, and has turned against my
> Waffle Dream. He doesn't know what he's missing.
> I have an orgasm every time I eat it.

I would have stomach cramp and nausea.

It's horrible, Doc. A pile of sticky sweet things only a Bee would
appreciate. I don't know what a 'waffle' is..but it doesn't sound
nice.
In (true) English, waffle is to talk incessantly about a subject one
knows little about.

May be an appropriate word for APN?

Ricky

Woodswun

Nov 24, 2009, 5:50:51 PM11/24/09

The correct term is "mouthgasm".

;-)

Woods

Woodswun

Nov 24, 2009, 5:52:23 PM11/24/09

You can always substitute real maple syrup for that flavored corn
syrup stuff. Unfortunately, maple syrup is way more expensive than
corn syrup, and they charge a small fortune for it in the grocery
store. (We always get ours from a local sugar house).

Woods

Woodswun

Nov 24, 2009, 5:56:55 PM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 6:12 am, Werewolfy <Werewol...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24 Nov, 07:19, "Doc" <cmdrl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, at least you appreciate the value of 'vile stuff'. I'm disappointed
> > Wolfy hasn't eaten this heavenly confection, and has turned against my
> > Waffle Dream. He doesn't know what he's missing.
> > I have an orgasm every time I eat it.
>
> I would have stomach cramp and nausea.
>
> It's horrible, Doc. A pile of sticky sweet things only a Bee would
> appreciate. I don't know what a 'waffle' is..but it doesn't sound
> nice.

So, you've never been to Belgium? Belgian waffles are from there!!!

;-)

> In (true) English, waffle is to talk incessantly about a subject one
> knows little about.

We have that meaning, too, but the kind of waffle that Doc is talking
about is made from a batter that is poured onto a heated iron gridlike
pattern, with square indendations across the top and bottom. They are
generally served hot (fresh off the waffle iron, or out of the toaster
if you use a frozen one), with butter melted onto it and maple syrup.
Doc's recipe somewhat resembles a Belgian waffle, which has a fruit
sauce and sweetened whipped cream instead of the syrup.

> May be an appropriate word for APN?

Maybe ...

Woods

> Ricky

Jane

Nov 24, 2009, 6:24:01 PM11/24/09

I know...I was teasing Doc. It helps (and is a lot cheaper) to be
close to the source. My mother-in-law gets it for $15 a litre. We
usually keep a couple bottles in the freezer. It thaws in no time and
can be refrozen as many times as you like with no loss of quality.
Magical stuff, lol.

Woodswun

Nov 24, 2009, 6:47:20 PM11/24/09

Yes, it is! I have found a source that's only $11 a quart for the
light amber, but it's up in St. Lawrence County, so I stock up when I
travel up that way. 2 quarts will last us the entire year., so I
guess there's not much "up" in the stocking.

(Thread drift warning!)I've made a very nice acer (maple) mead - it's
very smooth and finishes kind of like a butterscotch. I used medium
amber for that, with the normal amount of honey and a champagne type
yeast. (I've never tried to make maple wine, though).

Woods

Jane

Nov 24, 2009, 7:29:21 PM11/24/09

I've never tried making mead. Since this IS the recipe thread, you're
not really drifting...in fact, you could post the how-tos (please, :))!

Jane

Nov 24, 2009, 7:34:49 PM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 5:52 pm, Woodswun <woods...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Here is some real thread drift...if you want to know more than you
ever wanted to know about corn (including how it is in just about
every processed food out there, in some way, shape or form) and how
bad all that corn is for us, a great book to read is the Omnivore's
Dilemma by Michael Pollan. Excellent eye-opening read. My favourite
part is when he talks about a wonderful, truly organic farm in (I
think) Vermont called Polyface Farm. It's amazing how they manage to
do it totally without chemicals, but you have to read it to see.
Highly recommend the book.

Doc

Nov 25, 2009, 1:03:54 AM11/25/09

"Jane" <pushl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I'm glad you brought that issue up. I've tried Trader Joe's medium amber
Grade A maple syrup manufactured in Canada, somewhere. It tasted shitty.
I thought the Mrs. made more tasty syrup, albeit sans any real maple. Can
you recommend a hearty, really hearty, Canadian maple syrup like the kind I
had as a kid (but can't remember the brand). The stuff, as you know, is
damned expensive, so be careful of what you recommend.
We used to have 2% real maple in Log Cabin syrup when I was a teen, but it's
been removed.
Trader Joe sells 8 oz. for $4.99 and it ain't fucking worth it.
Doc

Doc

Nov 25, 2009, 1:20:13 AM11/25/09

"Werewolfy" <Werew...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Americans grow up on waffles. My mom fixed the real ones in a waffle iron
until the toaster ones became popular.
They're difficult to butter, but the corrugated surface has a curious
textural taste sensation I've always liked. Their surface holds much syrup,
and so they are naturally a hit with sugar-obsessed kids.
The organic ones are usually tastier, but cost a bit more.
We had a well-known TV commercial here - "Leggo my Eggo!" , for many years,
in which a small kid demands that no one take his Eggo (Kellogg's) waffle
from him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Yq1I8gIA0
However, Eggo really isn't that good, IMO. I'd gladly give mine up.
Doc

Doc

Nov 25, 2009, 1:22:26 AM11/25/09

"Woodswun" <wood...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

;-)

Woods

I disagree. It's a substitute for Viagra.
I feel horny right after. Must be the chemicals in the Mrs. syrup.
I notice I begin molesting Mrs. Buttersworth's bottle body...
Doc

Jane

Nov 25, 2009, 7:35:55 AM11/25/09
On Nov 25, 1:20 am, "Doc" <cmdrl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Werewolfy" <Werewol...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> from him.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Yq1I8gIA0

> However, Eggo really isn't that good, IMO. I'd gladly give mine up.
> Doc

You should try making the real ones, Doc. They are easy to make and so
much better than even your organic ones. Waffle makers have removable
non-stick plates now, so they are easy to clean. I agree that Eggos
are crap.

As for maple syrup, it is hard for me to recommend a brand because I
never buy it in the store. I buy in bulk from someone my mother-in-law
knows who has a sugar bush. However, like any natural product, some
years will be better than others. Maple syrup isn't manufactured
really. The sap is collected from the trees and it is then filtered
and boiled until it reaches the correct consistency. It used to be a
big thing in Quebec to go visit the sugar bush and watch them make it.
A real treat was when they boiled it extra-long and then poured it on
clean snow. You took a stick and rolled it up as the snow hardened it.
Then you had a delicious maple lollypop.

They may put preservatives in some commercial stuff that may affect
the taste, but I don't know that for sure. The stuff we get is pure
syrup and nothing but. As I said, we do keep it in the freezer. It
will get a layer of mold on it in time, even when refrigerated,
because the huge bottles we get are hard to use up fast enough.

Woodswun

Nov 25, 2009, 12:14:10 PM11/25/09
On Nov 25, 1:03 am, "Doc" <cmdrl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Jane" <pushlin...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

For a strong maple flavor, you want dark amber. For a very light or
barely noticeable maple flavor, you would want light amber. I usually
get the light amber for pancakes, but I've never gotten into the heavy
maple flavor. You can also get grade B maple syrup, which is *very*
strong, and usually only used for cooking. You might be able to add a
smidgin of that to one of the grade A types and end up with a flavor
that you like. Although, if you like the Mrs Butterworths, and the
thought of consuming that much corn syrup doesn't bother you, I can't
see the bother or expense.

Woods

Woodswun

Nov 25, 2009, 12:17:22 PM11/25/09

I'm pretty sure you can just skim the mold off the top, same as jam/
jelly. (That said, I've never had my syrup get mold on it - I always
buy in small enough containers that we never get mold on the top of
the one that's opened).

Woods

Woodswun

Nov 25, 2009, 12:38:16 PM11/25/09
On Nov 24, 7:29 pm, Jane <pushlin...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've never tried making mead. Since this IS the recipe thread, you're
> not really drifting...in fact, you could post the how-tos (please, :))!

OK, here's the recipe:

4 quarts maple syrup (medium amber)
2 quarts light colored honey
2 1/2 tsp acid blend
2 tsp yeast nutrient (probably not necessary, but we used it, so I'm
including it)
1 pkt champagne yeast
water to 5 gallons

Put ingredients into fermentation bucket, rack to 5 gallon carboy when
foam subsides, about 1-2 weeks. Rack when specific gravity is at .990
(around 6 months). Carboy age for a minimum of another year.

When making mead, you generally warm up some water and dissolve the
honey into that, and then add the other ingredients. Some people
prefer to boil the water and honey, to kill off anything in the honey,
but I think that changes the consistency and properties of the honey,
so I never did that. You need a winemaking plastic bucket to start
off the process, because it will foam for a week or so during the
initial fermentation, and you don't want that happening in your
carboy.

A carboy is a very large glass bottle, into which you "rack" the
fermenting liquid after it's not foaming. This is where most of the
fermentation will take place. You need to find a place that has a
fairly consistent temperature, and mead likes it a normal "cool"
indoor temperature for fermenting (unlike wine, which prefers a cooler
than indoor temperature for best results). You can get carboys in 3,
5, or 6 gallon sizes, this recipe is for a 5 gallon batch. You will
also need to get one of those things that plug in the top and you fill
with water to keep the air from mixing with what's in the carboy
(don't remember what they're called, but they have an S-bend in them
to create a one-way airlock) - you NEED TO KEEP THE LIQUID IN THIS or
you will end up with some very expensive, but fine-tasting, vinegar.

Mead takes a very long time to age, and the flavor isn't for
everyone. If you think you may be interested in home brewing, I would
suggest starting off with beer (ready in 2 weeks, v-e-r-y tasty and
better for you than the store bough stuff), or a wine kit (ready in
3-12 months, buy the expensive ones, they produce a much higher
quality result). Meads will often require in excess of 2 years in the
carboy, and then more aging in the bottle.

This is just some basic info on making mead, you should get a book or
do some research online for more of the equipment you should have.
Also, you canNOT reuse corks, so don't start saving them or asking
friends to save them for you - but you can reuse bottles. I suggest a
bottle washer that hooks onto your kitchen faucet - much easier and
faster than other stuff.

I also have some fruit wine recipes that I really liked, I'll post
those a bit later. My favorites are mango wine (and mead) and
pineapple wine.

Woods

Woodswun

Nov 25, 2009, 12:39:38 PM11/25/09

We have that book, I'm still waiting for my son to finish reading it.
I've already heard some about it from my daughter. Now I will no
longer buy farm rasied fish. (What are they thinking feeding them
corn, for the love of God - huh?!? 0-o)

Woods

Werewolfy

Nov 25, 2009, 2:42:57 PM11/25/09
On 25 Nov, 17:17, Woodswun <woods...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure you can just skim the mold off the top, same as jam/
> jelly. �(That said, I've never had my syrup get mold on it - I always
> buy in small enough containers that we never get mold on the top of
> the one that's opened).

And the Lord said, "Thou shalt not spread my word, as there are those
who would spread jam." Your seven fishes will grow no mould if you
truly believe and hearken to the word of the Lord."

Werewolfy

Jane

Nov 25, 2009, 5:05:22 PM11/25/09

My mother has my copy at the moment, that's why I wasn't sure of the
location of the farm (could also be New Hampshire). It is a book you
really want to share.

Doc

Nov 26, 2009, 6:31:08 AM11/26/09

"Woodswun" <wood...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Woods

No, I use the Mrs. because I like her comely figure.

Woodswun

Nov 26, 2009, 10:14:24 AM11/26/09

Geez.

BTW, this thread got me hungry for waffles, so I had 2 of those frozen
ones this morning. I only put butter and maple syrup on them,
though. :-)

Woods

Jane

Nov 26, 2009, 6:56:34 AM11/26/09

That's interesting, Woods. We used heavy plastic carboys when I worked
in the wastewater treatment plant, so I know what you are talking
about. I'm not likely to make it any time soon, I must confess, but I
do like to know how to do these things.

Thanks for posting!

Woodswun

Nov 26, 2009, 11:26:16 AM11/26/09

Sure thing!

If you want to try something that ferments sooner, and is healthier
than what you get in the beer store, making your own beer is very
quick, very tasty, and the bubbliness is from yeast, not a CO2
canister. 2 weeks from start to finish, and you end up with a very
high quality beer. Also, if you don't mind waiting for a few months,
fruit wines are tasty, inexpensive, and something you can't find in
wine shop. My favorites are pineapple, mango, and raspberry.

Woods

Doc

Nov 26, 2009, 11:30:02 AM11/26/09

"Woodswun" <wood...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Geez.

Woods

Alright, I'll tell you why I like Mrs. Buttersworth so very much. I've never
told anyone before, so savor being let in on this deep secret.
The clue is in her name.
Yes, butter.
No, it's not real butter in her sweet syrup.
I'm not stupid.
However, it tastes so...buttery.
Now, I know the fucking shit is just some cheap dark carmel-colored corn
syrup and half a dozen chemicals, but I want that goddamn buttery taste so
badly.
So very, very badly, Woods.
I'd kill for it, in fact.
Doc

Jane

Nov 26, 2009, 12:49:24 PM11/26/09
> Doc- Hide quoted text -

Why not just melt some REAL butter on the hot waffles and add your
syrup?

Doc

Nov 27, 2009, 3:59:24 AM11/27/09
> syrup?- Hide quoted text -

I use the Reduced Calorie Mrs. Buttersworth and lowfat margarine. I
have to watch my boyish figure.
Doc ;))~

Doc

Nov 27, 2009, 4:00:10 AM11/27/09

Doc

Nov 27, 2009, 4:00:33 AM11/27/09
On Nov 25, 9:38 am, Woodswun <woods...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Well, I'm not trying any more of this expensive shit. We have prices
up to
$11 per 8 ounces here, running commonly between 8 and 9 bucks.
I was expecting that maple flavor would be in the maple syrup, but it
was
more like corn syrup.
Must've been a bad year for maple sap.
It's like the other expensive topping, honeycomb. It's up to $9 for a
1/4
lb. chunk in a glass (total maybe 8 ounces) of honey. Now, we used to
get
honeycomb from Sue Bee when I was a kid and teen, and it tasted
extremely
good. It was always more expensive, but honey prices have shot up
dramatically of late.
But, I'm not gonna pay those prices for it.
If you try my Waffle Dream you'll note how the seemingly different
flavors
mesh into quite a scrumptious combo. It's the end product of years of
expermentation to sugar myself into ecstasy. I only eat this
confection
twice a week, though. I have to watch my figure.
Doc

Jane

Nov 27, 2009, 5:38:23 AM11/27/09

I'm of the opinion that anything natural is better than chemical
slop...even if higher in fat. A very little piece of butter goes a
long, because nothing else tastes quite like it.

Doc

Nov 27, 2009, 10:25:41 AM11/27/09

"Jane" <pushl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Well, most of what I eat is natural, organic stuff, Jane. But, one of the
few "guilty pleasures" I've got left is the Mrs. syrup. I began using it
when I was in grade school.
So, 50 years of the Mrs. has been a tradition -- makes me feel like I have a
link to a long-gone (better) time.
In any case, I don't eat ice cream, candy bars, drink soda pop, or even
cookies any more.
I'm on a low sugar, low fat, low salt, low cholesterol, high fiber diet and
the Waffle Dream is just a 'reward' really for having an otherwise 'tight
ass' diet.
I no longer eat any chocolate of any kind.
So, the Waffle Dream's a real sick joy of mine - one of few taste splurges
I've got left.
Butter is out because of the high fat. The Mrs. and I are inseparable. LOL!
Doc

Jane

Nov 28, 2009, 1:10:38 PM11/28/09

I hear you. I have my occasional (thankfully) cravings for Kraft
Dinner, even though I make wonderful homemade mac and cheese. I can
eat the whole box of KD when the craving hits, but might not touch it
again for a year.

Jane

Nov 28, 2009, 1:22:02 PM11/28/09
Speaking of maple syrup, if you can get Oka cheese where you are
(Marvin can for sure), this is definitely worth trying. The recipe is
what my mother would call 'fiddle-y', but the results are worth it!

Oka-Stuffed Chicken Breasts With Maple Glaze

1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 Spanish onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 wheel Oka cheese, rind removed and grated
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts with filets
3 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp butter

Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil and saute onions until caramelized (12-15
minutes). Remove from pan and let cool. Measure 1/2 cup cooked onion,
finely chop and set aside for sauce.

Combine cheese, remaining onions ans 1/2 tbsp thyme. Season lightly
and mix well.

Preheat oven to 375F. Lay chicken breasts, smooth side down, on a
cutting board. Cut a pocket in each breast and stuff with cheese
mixture. Cover with the filet (I also insert a toothpick to hold it in
place).

Sear breasts in remaining oil until golden brown. Place in a roasting
pan and bake about 25 minutes (any extra cheese mixture or cheese that
leaked out during browning I sprinkle on top) until done. Let rest 5
minutes.

Return pan to med-high heat. Deglaze with maple syrup. Stir in the
broth, reserved onions and remaining thyme. Bring to a boil and reduce
by half. Swirl in the butter and any pan juices and serve with the
chicken.

Marvin The Paranoid Rethug

Nov 28, 2009, 1:50:45 PM11/28/09

You're wrong Jane.

You're more wrong now than you've ever been.

I bet you didn't know that Kraft was one of the biggest donors to Bill
Clinton's 1986 re-election campaign, did you?

As you can see here with my substantiative excerpt below:

[substantiative_excerpt]
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent non
turpis non justo fringilla tincidunt. Maecenas lacinia dictum dolor et
aliquam. Quisque hendrerit lobortis rutrum. Curabitur aliquam aliquam
semper. Vivamus ac dui at erat semper lacinia eu vitae nunc. Cum
sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur
ridiculus mus. Proin vitae tempor ligula. Aliquam erat volutpat. Duis
sagittis enim non erat venenatis porta sit amet a lorem. Suspendisse
congue, erat quis tempor dignissim, tortor leo elementum velit, quis
eleifend felis nisi faucibus ipsum. Pellentesque leo magna, semper
quis aliquam sed, gravida at nunc. Donec neque orci, gravida id
accumsan nec, tempor non orci. Mauris tempor, massa vel laoreet
fermentum, sem orci feugiat nibh, ut blandit ligula enim ut lacus.
Nullam sit amet sem dui. Duis tempor enim in lacus condimentum rhoncus
adipiscing lectus sodales.

Donec suscipit, augue et consequat tristique, nisl erat eleifend ante,
sed vulputate diam felis sit amet urna. Sed a justo massa.
Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada
fames ac turpis egestas. Ut malesuada tellus in tortor iaculis
eleifend. Etiam vestibulum interdum sodales. Praesent adipiscing
pellentesque adipiscing. Praesent id enim mauris, eu lobortis orci.
Vivamus euismod dui quis massa volutpat interdum laoreet varius
ligula. In tempus tellus at risus ornare bibendum. Quisque condimentum
adipiscing ultrices. Pellentesque ullamcorper mollis blandit. Donec
mattis rhoncus facilisis. Nam iaculis egestas bibendum. Ut porta
varius ultricies. Nullam laoreet rutrum leo non commodo. Etiam in
velit sit amet libero convallis varius at vitae dui. Fusce nisi arcu,
cursus consequat vulputate id, luctus ut massa.

Aliquam posuere aliquam dictum. Vivamus viverra orci eu justo congue
non fermentum velit volutpat. Nam interdum bibendum justo, in volutpat
sem facilisis vel. Aenean posuere elit at libero egestas a facilisis
leo iaculis. Duis congue, ante a egestas tristique, dui urna sodales
augue, at volutpat urna lacus non risus. Vestibulum molestie, augue
nec fermentum consectetur, purus risus dictum magna, sed venenatis
nibh dolor ut nibh. Nullam et nisi justo. Pellentesque porta, augue
non vestibulum imperdiet, elit purus placerat est, eu blandit ante
lacus nec nunc. Morbi faucibus sapien at nisl molestie tristique.
Praesent erat nibh, sodales nec luctus id, egestas quis ante.
Vestibulum lacus purus, egestas non convallis sed, ullamcorper vel
tortor.

Suspendisse a dolor massa, ut placerat ipsum. Etiam tristique, nisl a
interdum varius, nulla metus pellentesque risus, sed posuere massa
elit eu nulla. Maecenas eu cursus enim. Quisque enim nunc, convallis
id sagittis nec, volutpat dignissim arcu. Nulla elementum egestas
tincidunt. Pellentesque sem tellus, dapibus fringilla facilisis in,
sagittis condimentum nunc. Praesent orci ipsum, adipiscing eu
sollicitudin ut, pulvinar in tortor. Cras risus odio, gravida quis
pulvinar non, commodo nec odio. Aenean nec mi justo, et scelerisque
dui. Donec ipsum ligula, ultrices quis tristique at, pulvinar id
lorem. Donec lacinia adipiscing egestas. Quisque pharetra lorem eget
risus venenatis non volutpat sapien luctus. Pellentesque blandit
fringilla porta. Pellentesque nibh quam, molestie non malesuada et,
dignissim ut urna. Nam ut eros augue. Maecenas vitae sem purus, vitae
ullamcorper sapien. Maecenas varius dolor nec erat varius rhoncus.
Curabitur at lorem non est ornare eleifend.

Nunc hendrerit bibendum sapien eu rutrum. Aliquam eget felis dui, id
rhoncus mauris. Curabitur ullamcorper consectetur magna at bibendum.
Morbi in neque nulla, eu pretium orci. Ut turpis magna, mattis non
fringilla a, eleifend fringilla arcu. Pellentesque habitant morbi
tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas.
Vivamus in tortor non est rutrum pretium vel ut urna. Aenean vulputate
est eu dui blandit eu rutrum nibh posuere. Etiam ornare tellus in
massa volutpat posuere. Vestibulum sed purus id quam pulvinar feugiat
at id nulla. Donec at lectus et dui lacinia tincidunt nec et lectus.
Vivamus ut dui non sem tristique scelerisque et ac ante. Praesent et
est risus.
[\substantiative_excerpt]

Why can't you reply with substantiative excerpts?

Please explain.

-- MTPR

Jane

Nov 28, 2009, 4:34:26 PM11/28/09
On Nov 28, 1:50 pm, Marvin The Paranoid Rethug

What's good enough for Bill, is good enough for me! Not my favourite
pres (that was Reagan), but the hottest in his day. Something about
Bill...I can fully understand Monica and the rest...

> leo ...
>
> read more »

Jane

Nov 28, 2009, 4:35:12 PM11/28/09
On Nov 28, 1:50 pm, Marvin The Paranoid Rethug

Oh, yeah...keep those excerpts coming!