What is Bonjour?

DavidO

Aug 26, 2007, 11:26:26 AM8/26/07
I just installed a new firewall (Sunbelt Kerio) and it shows a program
running called Bonjour. There is a folder with that name with 2 files in it
called mdnsNSP.dll and mDNSResponder.exe. Any ideas?

jen

Aug 26, 2007, 11:47:46 AM8/26/07
"DavidO" <fake-...@fake-email.com> wrote in message

>I just installed a new firewall (Sunbelt Kerio) and it shows a program
>running called Bonjour. There is a folder with that name with 2 files
>in it called mdnsNSP.dll and mDNSResponder.exe. Any ideas?

mdnsresponder.exe is a process associated with "Bonjour for Windows"
software. It is used by ITunes for music sharing.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html

-jen

DavidO

Aug 26, 2007, 1:19:47 PM8/26/07
I don't have iTunes or any other Apple products loaded on my computer. I do
have Apache web server - could that be the source of Bonjour?

"jen" <j...@example.com> wrote in message

Andy Walker

Aug 26, 2007, 3:00:29 PM8/26/07
DavidO wrote:

>I don't have iTunes or any other Apple products loaded on my computer. I do
>have Apache web server - could that be the source of Bonjour?

Apple appears to be including Bonjour with all of its software
products for Windows. I loaded the Safari Beta 3 program for testing
and it wanted to add Bonjour to my network services, which is not
going to ever happen, but at least they asked before loading it... not
so with Quicktime, unfortunately. Apple has its hands in all sorts of
software for Windows, so it may well be an Apple program you loaded
that installed Bonjour without your complete knowledge or permission.

jen

Aug 26, 2007, 10:05:28 PM8/26/07

">> jen" <j...@example.com> wrote in message
>> > "DavidO" <fake-...@fake-email.com> wrote in message
>>>I just installed a new firewall (Sunbelt Kerio) and it shows a
>>>program running called Bonjour. There is a folder with that name
>>>with 2 files in it called mdnsNSP.dll and mDNSResponder.exe. Any
>>>ideas?
>> mdnsresponder.exe is a process associated with "Bonjour for Windows"
>> software. It is used by ITunes for music sharing.
>> http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html
>I don't have iTunes or any other Apple products loaded on my computer.
>I do have Apache web server - could that be the source of Bonjour?

What Andy said...

Bonjour is Apple's proposed new industry standard for automatic
discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks. Also known
as zero-configuration networking or Zeroconf, Bonjour uses industry
standard IP protocols to allow devices to automatically find each other
without the need to enter IP addresses or configure DNS servers.

Mdnsnsp.dll is a Layered Service Provider(LSP), so be wary of it. Make
sure You get Lspfix http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/lspfix.php
before trying to remove.

configuration networking, most often added by Itunes version 5.0 and
later.

-jen