Hosts file on Vista

Crazy Noddy

Aug 15, 2007, 12:44:27 PM8/15/07
Is it necessary to disable DNS Client on Vista when using the Hosts file to
block ads etc. like it was on XP? Spybot added some entries to the Hosts
file and I've not had any slowdown yet but that may be because there are not
enough entries yet. Thing is, I believe I read something that on Vista it
needs the DNS Client or else you will get issues. Can't remember exactly why
but will look it up later.

siljaline

Aug 15, 2007, 4:26:35 PM8/15/07

You should disable the DNS client service.
<http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Note>

Do not combine other HOSTS Files with the *above* as it is not recommended.
<http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#Merging>

Silj

--
siljaline

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Crazy Noddy

Aug 16, 2007, 1:46:21 PM8/16/07
"siljaline" <silj...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> You should disable the DNS client service.
> <http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Note>

OK, thanks. I've disabled it now but I was getting no slowdown on Vista64
and the size is now 160kb. MVPS says it will slowdown the OS if it is over
135kb.

siljaline

Aug 16, 2007, 3:08:04 PM8/16/07

The size of the file has no bearing if you have disabled the DNS client, Vista or XP.

Crazy Noddy

Aug 17, 2007, 1:08:21 PM8/17/07

> The size of the file has no bearing if you have disabled the DNS client,
> Vista or XP.
>
> Silj

Yes, I know that. What I am saying is that I got no slowdown on Vista64 with
a 160kb size Host file before I even disabled the DNS Client service. If I
had done that on XP I would have got a slowdown.

slate_leeper

Aug 18, 2007, 12:30:57 PM8/18/07
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:08:21 GMT, "Crazy Noddy" <SP...@BLOCKER.ACTIVE>
wrote:

My XP system actually runs, and accesses the web, noticeably faster
with DNS Client turned off.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Crazy Noddy

Aug 19, 2007, 1:31:36 PM8/19/07
"slate_leeper" <bycy...@spamex.com> wrote in message

> My XP system actually runs, and accesses the web, noticeably faster
> with DNS Client turned off.

Yes, that is what I mean. On XP you notice a slowdown with a large Hosts
file unless you disable the DNS Client service but on Vista64 I never
noticed the same behavior.