Faqqus Minimus

John Flynn

Jan 28, 2001, 9:45:48 AM1/28/01

FAQ For alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe

Original version posted: 14-9-98

Original Author: J.Goodwin.

Revision history:

20-9-98 Added clarification on scope of rule
18-12-98 Added details about special case exception
27-7-99 Corrected typo spelling error of "apostrophe"
12-2-00 Removed ironic apostrophe in "alway's" because it wasn't
confusing enough people
26-6-00 Changed the item in "Special Cases" to be a question.
19-7-00 Typo corrected in "Permissions" section.

Credit List for revisons

Permissions
John Flynn
Q2 Scope
Alan Pemberton
Q3 Special cases
John Goodwin
John Flynn

Permissions.
------------
This FAQ can be copied without charge, provided that it is not sold,
and it does not form a substantial part of any package offered for
sale.

The FAQ must be included as is, and no additions deletions or editing
of any kind are allowed.

Statement of liability.
-----------------------

The authors of this FAQ do not accept any liability whatsoever for any
injuries caused by its misuse. Or death. Or extended sneezing fits.

Reading this FAQ
----------------

This FAQ should not, under any circumstances, be read using a www
browser (unless it has a plain text capability).

This FAQ should be read using a monospaced font, otherwise the
underlining looks silly.

---

Q1 Use of apostrophe

Should you insert an apostrophe when using the possessive "its"?

A1 No.

Q2 Scope

Is that always the case?

A2 Yes.

Q3 Special cases

What about irony?

A3 Oh, go on then.

End of FAQ

Barry in Indy

Jan 28, 2001, 10:22:03 AM1/28/01
In article <3A74309C...@flynndins.freeserve.co.uk>,
joh...@lineone.net wrote:

> FAQ For alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe

[mucho snippo]

On Deja, that subject line looks pretty much like "faggus", and I
wondered why you were writing about large and small homosexuals.

--

barry in indy

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

John Flynn

Jan 28, 2001, 10:33:47 AM1/28/01
Barry in Indy wrote:

> On Deja, that subject line looks pretty much like "faggus", and I
> wondered why you were writing about large and small homosexuals.

I am SO tempted to insert a smiley here. BUT NO! I shall resist!

--
johnF

"A tin ear for prosody (stress and intonation) and an obliviousness to
the principles of discourse and rhetoric are important tools of the
trade for the language maven."
-- _The Language Instinct_, Steven Pinker

Mark Wallace

Jan 28, 2001, 2:25:52 PM1/28/01
For the intelligent approach to nasty humour, visit
The Anglo-American Humour (humor) Site
http://humorpages.terrashare.com/mainmenu.htm

Barry in Indy <sasc...@my-deja.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
951den$qlv$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> In article <3A74309C...@flynndins.freeserve.co.uk>,
> joh...@lineone.net wrote:
> >
> > FAQ For alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe
> >
> [mucho snippo]
>
> On Deja, that subject line looks pretty much like "faggus", and I
> wondered why you were writing about large and small homosexuals.

How long do you think it will be before someone typos 'fuqqas'?

--

Mark Wallace