Down the rabbit hole

Aahz Maruch

Jul 31, 2009, 12:43:49 AM7/31/09
Oh, I guess I forgot to post here. I started my new job this week, which
means I'll have less time here for a while. Do feel free to ping me in
e-mail, though.

In other news, I'm starting up a new diversity project for the Python
community:

My primary and I are starting a major house repair project next week, and
I finally today got a ruling on my EDD appeal (unemployment insurance),
which said that, yes, I really am "Aahz" and they need to give me my
money.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/
<*> <*> <*>

Pat Kight

Jul 31, 2009, 1:43:12 AM7/31/09
Aahz Maruch wrote:
> Oh, I guess I forgot to post here. I started my new job this week, which
> means I'll have less time here for a while. Do feel free to ping me in
> e-mail, though.

Oh, congratulations. These days hearing about people getting jobs is a
welcomed relief from all the news about those who are losing them, or
worried that they will.

> In other news, I'm starting up a new diversity project for the Python
> community:
>
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=264020

Awesome. You're right about the inherited lack of diversity in the open
source community - in numerous meetings and visits to the Open Source
lab at the university where I work, which has some small prominence in
the field (among other things, they host Linux), I've encountered only a
tiny number of women, and the few I know tell me it's a tough slog to be
heard, much less respected.

> My primary and I are starting a major house repair project next week, and
> I finally today got a ruling on my EDD appeal (unemployment insurance),
> which said that, yes, I really am "Aahz" and they need to give me my
> money.

Hehehe. How often have you had to wrestle for "official" recognition?

--
Pat Kight
kig...@peak.org

Aqua

Jul 31, 2009, 8:43:50 PM7/31/09
Aahz Maruch wrote:
> Oh, I guess I forgot to post here. I started my new job this week, which
> means I'll have less time here for a while. Do feel free to ping me in
> e-mail, though.

Congrats on the job, hope it doesn't disrupt the rest of your life too much.

> In other news, I'm starting up a new diversity project for the Python
> community:
>
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=264020

Yay! Thanks for doing this. There's been an awful lot of white hetboy
privilege on display from the open source community lately.

Aqua

Aahz Maruch

Aug 1, 2009, 1:07:17 AM8/1/09
In article <GYqdnffDFObyGe_X...@scnresearch.com>,
Pat Kight <kig...@peak.org> wrote:

>Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>
>> I finally today got a ruling on my EDD appeal (unemployment insurance),
>> which said that, yes, I really am "Aahz" and they need to give me my
>> money.
>
>Hehehe. How often have you had to wrestle for "official" recognition?

Rarely; showing my passport is usually sufficient, but the EDD is
populated with less-than-competent workers.

Tane' Tachyon

Aug 2, 2009, 5:06:15 PM8/2/09
Aahz Maruch wrote:
> Oh, I guess I forgot to post here. I started my new job this week, which
> means I'll have less time here for a while. Do feel free to ping me in
> e-mail, though.
>
> In other news, I'm starting up a new diversity project for the Python
> community:
>
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=264020
>
> My primary and I are starting a major house repair project next week, and
> I finally today got a ruling on my EDD appeal (unemployment insurance),
> which said that, yes, I really am "Aahz" and they need to give me my
> money.

Congratulations and go you! I hope everything goes as well as
possible!
--
Tane' Tachyon = tac...@tachyonlabs.com = http://www.tachyonlabs.com/

Aahz Maruch

Aug 3, 2009, 10:41:36 AM8/3/09
In article <6nfck6-...@mail-news.jamver.id.au>,
Aqua <aq...@internode.on.net> wrote:

>Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>
>> In other news, I'm starting up a new diversity project for the Python
>> community:
>>
>> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=264020
>
>Yay! Thanks for doing this. There's been an awful lot of white hetboy
>privilege on display from the open source community lately.

<sigh> Yup, precisely why I felt I needed to step forward. My new
mailing list already has more than forty subscribers, so chances are
good for forward momentum.

--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/
<*> <*> <*>

"Remember: every time somebody does something nice for somebody else, Ayn Rand
gets another pitchfork shoved up her ass in Hell." --William December Starr

Cris Galletly

Aug 4, 2009, 6:31:16 AM8/4/09
>Awesome. You're right about the inherited lack of diversity in the open
>source community - in numerous meetings and visits to the Open Source
>lab at the university where I work, which has some small prominence in
>the field (among other things, they host Linux), I've encountered only a
>tiny number of women, and the few I know tell me it's a tough slog to be
>heard, much less respected.

I've walked away from two Open Source projects due to sexism. The first
one "only" said "there, there, don't trouble your pretty little head with
the coding, write some documentation instead". The second one I encountered
an out-and-out jerk with a chip on his shoulder who flamed me every time
I posted, claiming I was expecting special treatment because I was a woman.

I don't imagine things will be much better now I'm FTM. At least online
people can't see I pass neither as male nor female so I won't be physically
attacked.
--
+ Cris Galletly <gall...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> +

Aahz Maruch

Aug 4, 2009, 10:43:02 AM8/4/09
In article <umc*9n...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,

Cris Galletly <gall...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>I've walked away from two Open Source projects due to sexism. The first
>one "only" said "there, there, don't trouble your pretty little head with
>the coding, write some documentation instead". The second one I encountered
>an out-and-out jerk with a chip on his shoulder who flamed me every time
>I posted, claiming I was expecting special treatment because I was a woman.

Yuck. <hugs>

>I don't imagine things will be much better now I'm FTM. At least online
>people can't see I pass neither as male nor female so I won't be physically
>attacked.

There's at least one prominent member of the Python community who's a
cross-dresser; I'm not exactly sure how out zie is about it, but it's not
hard to find out, either. (Zir participation in the Python community is
exclusively in one gender.) AFAIK, zie has not gotten any flak about it.