Anti-Gun DemocRATs DEFEATED, Again - SAF Sues Eric Holder, FBI Over Misdemeanor Gun Rights Denial

Patriot Games

Oct 21, 2010, 12:02:25 PM10/21/10
http://www.rightsidenews.com/2010102111927/us/homeland-security/saf-sues-eric-holder-fbi-over-misdemeanor-gun-rights-denial.html

SAF Sues Eric Holder, FBI Over Misdemeanor Gun Rights Denial
Thursday, 21 October 2010
Alan M. Gottlieb - Second Amendment Foundation

Acting on behalf of a Georgia resident and honorably discharged
Vietnam War veteran, the Second Amendment Foundation today filed a
lawsuit against Attorney General Eric Holder and the Federal Bureau of
Investigation over enforcement of a federal statute that can deny gun
rights to someone with a simple misdemeanor conviction on his record.

The lawsuit was filed in United States District Court for the District
of Columbia. SAF and co-plaintiff Jefferson Wayne Schrader of
Cleveland, GA are represented by attorney Alan Gura, who successfully
argued both the Heller and McDonald cases before the U.S. Supreme
Court.

MILITARY VETERAN ACTING IN SELF-DEFENSE DENIED RIGHT TO OWN A GUN

In July 1968, Schrader, then 21, was found guilty of misdemeanor
assault and battery relating to a fight involving a man who had
previously assaulted him in Annapolis, MD. The altercation was
observed by a police officer, who arrested Schrader, then an enlisted
man in the Navy, stationed in Annapolis. The man he fought with was in
a street gang that had attacked him for entering their "territory,"
according to the complaint.

FBI THREATENS TO CONFISCATE SCHRADER'S FIREARMS

Schrader was ordered to pay a $100 fine and $9 court cost. He
subsequently served a tour of duty in Vietnam and was eventually
honorably discharged. However, in 2008 and again in 2009, Mr. Schrader
was denied the opportunity to receive a shotgun as a gift, or to
purchase a handgun for personal protection. He was advised by the FBI
to dispose of or surrender any firearms he might have or face criminal
prosecution.

FELONS GIVEN MORE RIGHTS THAN HONORABLE SERVICEMAN

"Schrader's dilemma," explained SAF Executive Vice President Alan
Gottlieb, "is that until recently, Maryland law did not set forth a
maximum sentence for the crime of misdemeanor assault. Because of
that, he is now being treated like a felon and his gun rights have
been denied.

"No fair-minded person can tolerate gun control laws being applied
this way," he added. "Mr. Schrader's case is a great example of why
gun owners cannot trust government bureaucrats to enforce gun laws."

The Second Amendment Foundation (www.SAF.org) is the nation's oldest
and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal
action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to
privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation
has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts
many programs designed to better inform the public about the
consequences of gun control.

DO NOT BE SILENCED - MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD!

For our projects to be successful, we must count on the voluntary
financial support from individuals like you who care.

We need your financial support today to ensure we have the resources
to beat back anti-gunners who will stop at nothing to take away our
right and ability to defend ourselves and our families.

Support from patriots like you will help us make sure what happened to
Jefferson Wayne Schrader doesn't happen to you. To support The Second
Amendment Foundation in it’s fight for gun rights and gun ownership,
please visit our site by clicking on this link:
https://secure.conservativedonations.com/saf_suefbi/?a=4795