The 1973 Arab Oil Embargo

Raktizer Omheit

Jan 17, 2006, 7:27:13 PM1/17/06

The Arab members of the OPEC group retaliated against the military and

economic aid which the U.S.A. and Western Europe provided to Israel before

and during the Yom Kippur War of 1973 by placing an oil embargo against the

U.S.A., which was lifted in March 1974, and by reducing oil supplies and

placing a sharp price hike on those reduced supplies to various Western

European nations. In 1973, the U.S.A. imported 12% of its petroleum imports

from the Middle East, whereas the figure for Europe was 80%, and for Japan

over 90%. The British, French, and Japanese reversed their previously

pro-Israeli policies as a ressult of the Arab oil embargo, and became more

pro-Arab in the following years. See "1973 oil crisis," in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_oil_crisis . Only in 1975 did the United

Kingdom begin to receive petroleum supplies from the North Sea with the

completion of a pipeline linking the off-shore oil wells to the British

coastline. The U.S.A., in the aftermath of the stunning Israeli victory over

Egypt, Jordan, and Syria in the Six Day War of 1967, became closely allied

towards Israel, because by 1967 Egypt, Syria, Iraq, and southern Yemen or

Yemen Aden had moved into the Soviet camp in the Cold War, followed by Libya

by 1973. Today, the greatest enemies in the Middle East for the Americans

are the Shiite Iranians, the Syrian Alawites and Syrian Druze, the Lebanese

Hezbollah Shiite political party, a certain percentage of the Lebanese

Druze, the majority of the Druze of the Golan Heights who are pro-Syrian

rather than pro-Israeli, the Sunni Arab Iraqis, and the Sunni Palestinians.

After the 1967 Six Day War, Israel's defendable frontiers greatly improved

with its capture of the Sinai Peninsula and the Gaza Strip from Egypt, the

West Bank and East Jerusalem from Jordan, and the Golan Heights from Syria.

The Suez Canal, as a result of the 1967 Six Day War, was closed until 1975,

when the Israelis began a phased withdrawal from the Sinai Peninsula,

followed by a further stage in 1979, and completed in a final stage in

1982. As part of the 1979 Peace Treaty between Egypt and Israel, the

Egyptians agreed to provide sales of petroleum and natural gas supplies from

Egypt to Israel, some of it from the Gulf of Suez and the Sinai Peninsula.
During the

years when the Suez Canal was closed from 1967 to 1975, work began on the

construction of the Suez to Mediterranean or Sumed pipeline in order to

transport petroleum from the Red Sea to the Mediterranean Sea. Work began on

this pipeline in 1967, and was completed, after many delays, in 1977. See

"Making a Short Story Long: The Construction of the Suez-Mediterranean Oil

Pipeline in Egypt, 1967-1977," by Elie Podeh, June 30, 2004, in the Business

History Review, Harvard Business School, Vol 78, Issue 1, pp. 61-88, in

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000BG5FJE/104-2685736-3371110

. The Sumed pipeline has the advantage of being able to ship petroleum

imports from the Persian Gulf transported in supertankers via the Red Sea to

Egyptian port of Ain Sukhna on the Gulf of Suez to the port of Sidi Kerir on

the Egyptian Mediterranean coastline. The Suez Canal is not wide enough and

not deep enough to handle supertankers. The Sumed pipeline is owned by the

Arab Petroleum Pipeline Company ( APP ), which is a joint venture between

Egypt ( 50% ), Saudi Arabia ( 15% ), Kuwait ( 15% ), the United Arab

Emirates ( 15% ), and Qatar ( 5% ). See "Egypt-Oil and Gas Industry:

Exploration & Production," by the African Refiners Association, in the
MBendi

website, 26 May, 2005,

http://www.mbendi.co.za/indy/oilg/ogus/af/eg/p0005.htm . Since 1975, an oil

pipeline has transported petroleum from the oil fields of Saudi Arabia's

Persian Gulf coastlands and offshore oil wells to the Saudi Arabian Red Sea

port of Yanbu' al Bahr, which is also the site of an important Saudi naval

base. See "Yanbu' al Bahr" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanbu'_al_Bahr .

The Israeli port of Haifa on the Mediterranean Sea is used as a frequent

port-of-call by the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps travelling from the

Mediterranean Sea to the Persian Gulf via the Suez Canal. Of all the nations

in the Middle East, Israel is the one most trusted by the U.S.A. as an ally,

even with the possession of nuclear weapons, unlike the case with the

Iranian Shiite Muslim theocracy, which in the Cold War years between 1979 to

1991 was both ideologically anti-American and anti-Communist at the same

time. See "The Evolution of Strategic Cooperation," by Mitchell G. Bard, in

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/US-Israel/evolution_of_strategic_coop.html .

Haifa is connected to the Israeli Mediterranean ports of Ashdod and

Ashkelon, and the Israeli port of Eilat on the Gulf of Aqaba, an inlet of

the Red Sea, by the Trans-Israel oil pipeline. From 1968-1979, Europe

obtained a large part of its petroleum supply from the Shah's Iran, which

was transported via supertankers through the Trans-Israel pipeline. In 2003,

the Russians reached a deal with the Israelis whereby they would supply East

Asia with Russian petroleum transported from the Black Sea port of

Novorossiysk through the Trans-Israel pipeline. See "Trans-Israel pipeline,"

in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Israel_pipeline , and "EAPC-Eilat

Ashkelon Pipeline Company," in http://www.eapc.co.il .

In 1973, the year when the Yom Kippur War broke out between Israel and the

Egyptian-Syrian military alliance, 35% of the total U.S. oil supply was

provided from foreign oil imports, and 12% of U.S. oil imports in 1973 came

from the Middle East. By 2005, 57% of the total U.S. oil supply came from

foreign oil imports. The Arab OPEC countries supplied the U.S.A. with 26% of

its oil imports in 2004, and in 2004 24% of U.S. oil imports came from the

Persian Gulf states. See "U.S. Middle East Policy and Oil," in

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/US-Israel/usoil.html .

Although I personally believe that the Gaza Strip and the West Bank should

form an independent Palestinian state, I believe that Israel should

permanently incorporate the Golan Heights and East Jerusalem into the state

of Israel. The Golan Heights is an important source of fresh water for

Israel, because its tributaries flow into the freshwater lake known as the

Sea of Galilee, and that lake is used to provide irrigation for the Negev

Desert by means of the water pipeline known as the National Water Carrier.

East Jerusalem is where the ancient walled city of Jerusalem is located,

which once formed the capital of King David's and King Solomon's Israel.

Scotius

Jan 20, 2006, 2:49:41 AM1/20/06
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:27:13 +1100, "Raktizer Omheit"
<ceq...@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

>The Arab members of the OPEC group retaliated against the military and
>
>economic aid which the U.S.A. and Western Europe provided to Israel before
>
>and during the Yom Kippur War of 1973 by placing an oil embargo against the
>
>U.S.A., which was lifted in March 1974, and by reducing oil supplies and
>
>placing a sharp price hike on those reduced supplies to various Western
>
>European nations.

And it was a boon to US oil companies, the value of whose
existing reserves rose by approximately 400%. The US oil giants were
laughing up their sleeves about the oil embargo, and the OPEC attempt
to "punish" the US for it's support of Israel.

>In 1973, the U.S.A. imported 12% of its petroleum imports
>
>from the Middle East, whereas the figure for Europe was 80%, and for Japan
>
>over 90%. The British, French, and Japanese reversed their previously
>
>pro-Israeli policies as a ressult of the Arab oil embargo, and became more
>
>pro-Arab in the following years. See "1973 oil crisis," in
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_oil_crisis . Only in 1975 did the United
>
>Kingdom begin to receive petroleum supplies from the North Sea with the
>
>completion of a pipeline linking the off-shore oil wells to the British
>
>coastline. The U.S.A., in the aftermath of the stunning Israeli victory over
>
>Egypt, Jordan, and Syria in the Six Day War of 1967, became closely allied
>
>towards Israel, because by 1967 Egypt, Syria, Iraq, and southern Yemen or
>
>Yemen Aden had moved into the Soviet camp in the Cold War, followed by Libya
>
>by 1973. Today, the greatest enemies in the Middle East for the Americans
>
>are the Shiite Iranians, the Syrian Alawites and Syrian Druze, the Lebanese
>
>Hezbollah Shiite political party, a certain percentage of the Lebanese
>
>Druze, the majority of the Druze of the Golan Heights who are pro-Syrian
>
>rather than pro-Israeli, the Sunni Arab Iraqis, and the Sunni Palestinians.
>

>After the 1967 Six Day War, Israel's defendable frontiers greatly improved
>
>with its capture of the Sinai Peninsula and the Gaza Strip from Egypt, the
>
>West Bank and East Jerusalem from Jordan, and the Golan Heights from Syria.

Yes they did. The defendability of the new borders was a world
apart from the older ones, and Israel only occupied those lands AFTER
the attempt to attack the Israelis through them, yet the PLO and every
self-respecting pro-PLO propagandist claims it was just an Israeli
land grab. Of course, if they admitted that Israel's occupation of
those lands was defensive, they'd be admitting it's morally
legitimate.

Which was why they had such a difficult time buying weapons.
That ended when the Soviet Union went belly up in '91 and Russia was
willing to sell high-tech weapons to anyone with the cash. Iran has
purchased large numbers of MiG-29 and Su-27 fighters. They've also
produced an attack helicopter based on the Bell-209 Jetranger. They
changed the cockpit to tandem seating like most modern attack
helicopters, etc.

>See "The Evolution of Strategic Cooperation," by Mitchell G. Bard, in
>
>http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/US-Israel/evolution_of_strategic_coop.html .
>
>Haifa is connected to the Israeli Mediterranean ports of Ashdod and
>
>Ashkelon, and the Israeli port of Eilat on the Gulf of Aqaba, an inlet of
>
>the Red Sea, by the Trans-Israel oil pipeline. From 1968-1979, Europe
>
>obtained a large part of its petroleum supply from the Shah's Iran, which
>
>was transported via supertankers through the Trans-Israel pipeline. In 2003,
>
>the Russians reached a deal with the Israelis whereby they would supply East
>
>Asia with Russian petroleum transported from the Black Sea port of
>
>Novorossiysk through the Trans-Israel pipeline. See "Trans-Israel pipeline,"
>
>in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Israel_pipeline , and "EAPC-Eilat
>
>Ashkelon Pipeline Company," in http://www.eapc.co.il .
>

>In 1973, the year when the Yom Kippur War broke out between Israel and the
>
>Egyptian-Syrian military alliance, 35% of the total U.S. oil supply was
>
>provided from foreign oil imports, and 12% of U.S. oil imports in 1973 came
>
>from the Middle East. By 2005, 57% of the total U.S. oil supply came from
>
>foreign oil imports. The Arab OPEC countries supplied the U.S.A. with 26% of
>
>its oil imports in 2004, and in 2004 24% of U.S. oil imports came from the
>
>Persian Gulf states. See "U.S. Middle East Policy and Oil," in
>
>http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/US-Israel/usoil.html .
>

>Although I personally believe that the Gaza Strip and the West Bank should
>
>form an independent Palestinian state, I believe that Israel should
>
>permanently incorporate the Golan Heights and East Jerusalem into the state
>
>of Israel.

I've looked at the map, and it looks to me like the West Bank
is essential to preventing another invasion through it. If the
"Palestinians" (read "Jordanians") really want to be peaceful, they
could have had a state already since the '70s. Arafat's speeches to
reassure his allies that he was still committed to erasing Israel, and
that getting the West Bank and Gaza Strip back were just "the first
step" didn't make the Israelis feel very comfortable, I'm sure.

>The Golan Heights is an important source of fresh water for
>
>Israel, because its tributaries flow into the freshwater lake known as the
>
>Sea of Galilee, and that lake is used to provide irrigation for the Negev
>
>Desert by means of the water pipeline known as the National Water Carrier.

It sounds good, plus there's the fact that the Syrians have a
nasty habit of letting anyone who wants to shell Israeli farmers from
those mountains.

Raktizer Omheit

Jan 20, 2006, 6:13:16 AM1/20/06