Re: Germany Won't Allow KSM Terror Evidence to be Used in US Trial - Death Penalty Issues

Message has been deleted

liberal

Nov 22, 2009, 2:47:29 PM11/22/09
On Nov 22, 1:43 pm, Mr.B1ack <b...@barrk.net> wrote:
> Berlin wants no part in potential 9/11 execution        http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4914841,00.html
>
> A legal team is going to New York to prevent the use of evidence
> provided by Germany in seeking a death penalty. Berlin wants to ensure
> that promises made by the US are kept if the suspects are found
> guilty.
>
> A team of observers from the German government is going to New York to
> oversee the trial of five suspects accused of orchestrating the
> September 11 terrorist attacks in the United States, the news magazine
> Der Spiegel reported on Saturday.
>
> The federal trial of the suspect Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his four
> co-defendants was announced on November 13 by the US Justice
> Department. The government also asserted that it intends to seek the
> death penalty if the accused are found guilty.
>
> Germany, which does not have a death penalty, provided evidence for
> the trial on the condition that it could not be used to support a
> death sentence. Several members of the al Qaeda cell that planned and
> executed the attacks of September 11 were previously based in the
> northern German city of Hamburg.
>
> "In this case we will observe very closely that the given assurances
> are kept," Justice Minister Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger said.
>
> However it was unclear exactly how evidence from Germany would be
> distinguished from evidence procured from elsewhere.
>
> The defense lawyer for one of the accused, Ramzi Binalshibh, said that
> a conviction of his client would "scarcely be possible without
> evidence from Germany."

It's my understanding that a life sentence in a place like Pelican Bay
is worse than a death sentence.

It would be great to put a camera in the cell and let the jihadists
view it to their heart's content. Let 'em watch their "heros" breaking
down, stuck in a bare, 6x8 cell for 23 hours a day, and walking in
circles in a 20x20 concrete box for 1 hour per day, eat baloney
sandwiches twice a day, for the next 30-40 years.