New ACLU library signs: "Big Brother could be watching what you read."

Harry Hope

Jul 31, 2003, 12:52:10 AM7/31/03

From The Sun-Sentinel, 7/31/03:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-cpatriot31jul31,0,3241504.story?coll=sfla-news-broward

ACLU launches sign campaign warning library patrons about Patriot Act

Maya Bell
Miami Bureau
Posted July 31 2003

MIAMI --

Next to the traditional "Please be quiet" and "No food in the library"
signs, Florida library patrons soon may notice more ominous messages:
Big Brother could be watching what you read.

Officials with the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida said
Wednesday they will distribute hundreds of placards to county and
university libraries advising users that the USA Patriot Act enacted
after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks can subject library
records to government surveillance without their knowledge.

The burgundy poster depicting the Statue of Liberty is not big -- it
measures about 10 inches by 12 inches -- but is meant to attract
notice.

"Attention," it says, in large yellow letters.

"Under Section 215 of the federal USA Patriot Act records of the books
and other materials you borrow from this library may be obtained by
federal agents."

Noting that the same law prohibits librarians from telling patrons --
or anyone else -- whether their library records have been seized, the
poster urges library users to direct questions to Attorney General
John Ashcroft.

Howard Simon, executive director of the Florida ACLU, said the signs
are meant to inform as well as provoke outrage over what the ACLU
considers an invasive law that tramples on the most basic First
Amendment rights.

"We're not trying in any way to scare the public into not using
libraries," he said.

"We want them to know about the radical and dramatic change that has
affected their rights, and we hope to motivate them to demand a repeal
from Congress."

Announcement of the Florida library campaign came the same day the
national ACLU filed the first lawsuit challenging the Patriot Act's
constitutionality.

Filed in Detroit on behalf of six refugee and Muslim or Arab
organizations, the complaint alleges that the Patriot Act violates the
rights to privacy, free speech and due process by allowing the
government to seek private records in secret and without probable
cause.

Like the poster campaign, the suit takes aim at the Patriot Act's
Section 215, which, according to the ACLU, allows the FBI to obtain
anybody's record or "tangible things" from a library, Internet service
provider, hospital or business simply by asserting to the Foreign
Intelligence Surveillance Court, which operates in secret, that the
items are being sought for an ongoing terrorism investigation.

The U.S. Department of Justice would not comment on the lawsuit or the
library campaign but released a statement from department spokeswoman
Barbara Comstock that takes issue with the ACLU's interpretation.

Comstock said Section 215 can only be used against foreign spies and
international terrorists, not against American citizens or lawful
permanent residents.

Simon called that explanation "nonsense," accusing the Justice
Department of misleading the public about the scope of the Patriot
Act.

In Broward County, where library computers thought to have been used
by some of the Sept. 11 hijackers were seized by FBI agents shortly
after the attacks, a county library administrator said the decision
about using the ACLU posters would rest with the County Commission,
which means patrons there are likely see the warnings.

The Broward County Commission is among 143 communities in 27 states
that have passed resolutions opposing the Patriot Act.

So far, only one other locale in Florida has - Alachua County.

Bravo ACLU!

Harry

MrNiceGuy

Jul 31, 2003, 10:01:36 AM7/31/03
The American Civil Liberties Union, ACLU, and their President, Nadine
Strossen, need to practice what they preach...FREE SPEECH! The
hypoctrites have been posted....

http://freespeechstore.com/public/274_ACLU_PRESIDENT_NADINE_STROSSEN_STIFLES_FREE_SPEECH_ONLINE!.htm

Anon And On And On

Aug 1, 2003, 6:31:44 AM8/1/03
In article <adda5345.03073...@posting.google.com>,
yesi...@hotmail.com (MrNiceGuy) wrote:

> The American Civil Liberties Union, ACLU, and their President, Nadine
> Strossen, need to practice what they preach...FREE SPEECH! The
> hypoctrites have been posted....
>
> http://freespeechstore.com/public/274_ACLU_PRESIDENT_NADINE_STROSSEN_STIFLES_F
> REE_SPEECH_ONLINE!.htm

(As mentioned below, the ACLU got tired of "free"speechstore's commercial advertisements.)

----- freespeechstore mini-FAQ -----
Also available in:
http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/freaspeachk00k.shtml

1. Who is Richard Morton Scoville aka Margaret Morice
aka Free aka FSS with email addresses including
freespe...@aol.com, cand...@aol.com, rurea...@aol.com,
fly...@swbell.net, mamo...@aol.com, KRi...@aol.com,
no-r...@freespeechstore.com and, most recently, as
zackso...@hotmail.com) doing business as
http://www.freespeechstore.com ?

a. Steve Linford refers to Richard M. Scoville
<freespe...@aol.com> as a "pathological harasser" and notes that
the IP address he uses to email for freespeechstore.com has been
blocked for spamming. See:

http://groups.google.com/groups?&selm=linford-3B0EC0.08452420062003%40news.supernews.com

b. It has been noted that "Dick" Scoville appears to be the person
that has been harassing samspade.org and their provider, using a
variety of email addresses "fly...@swbell.net, mamo...@aol.com,
KRi...@aol.com and a number of flynow??@aol.com addresses" and
aliases ("Margaret Morice"). His techniques have included
"mailbombing, obscene email, frivolous complaints to providers,
harassing phone calls, bogus police reports, threats of lawsuits and a
number of other things". See:

http://static.samspade.org/flynow.html

c. An example of a company that he harassed is documented here:

http://ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff60400.htm

d. He has been posting provocatively in several newsgroups (with a
variety of aliases, including freespe...@aol.com,
cand...@aol.com, rurea...@aol.com and zackso...@hotmail.com),
for several months, in what looks like a pathetic attempt to draw hits
to his website. His post are advertisements for his website,
unsolicited, and usually off-topic (hmmm.... seems like spam):

See http://www.interocitor.net/freespeechstore.html

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=freespeechstore&scoring=d

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030629183222.08084.00001208%40mb-m16.aol.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030612004901.23612.00000336%40mb-m27.aol.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030610074441.14248.00000723%40mb-m29.aol.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=telecom22.505.12%40telecom-digest.org

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030508120525.13779.00000039%40mb-m28.aol.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030426141632.18170.00000138%40mb-m29.aol.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030421171128.18970.00000333%40mb-m03.aol.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030301190611.05716.00000395%40mb-ba.aol.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030420211325.19060.00000401%40mb-m02.aol.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030422162014.19041.00000474%40mb-m06.aol.com

e. It has been suggested that he is attempting to draw people into
speaking out of turn, so that he can file a libel suit. He has done
the latter before, see:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F24B25815

f. At a minimum, he appears to be looking for reasons to send
form-letter (and inaccurate) complaints to providers and employers:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=bdo1cl0e11%40enews3.newsguy.com

g. He has threatened others with lawsuits, even demanding cash payouts
so that he would not sue:

http://obob.manilasites.com/2003/02/26

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=freespeechstore&selm=4efa061a.0307021457.71bf0b88%40posting.google.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=freespeechstore&selm=20030703121258.17929.00000052%40mb-m03.aol.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=freespeechstore&selm=20030516190723.06183.00000190%40mb-m10.aol.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=freespeechstore&selm=20030416194431.18950.00000022%40mb-m25.aol.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=freespeechstore&selm=20030407111239.00575.00000485%40mb-ch.aol.com

h. Even the ACLU has censored him (for posting commercial speech to a
non-commercial speech forum):

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=freespeechstore+ACLU

2. What should I do if I, my ISP, my school or my employer receives
unsolicited email from this guy?

a. Submit the email (with full headers) to SpamCop: http://spamcop.net

b. Email an abuse report to the ISP for his site, freespeechstore.com,
65.66.180.194: ab...@swbell.net

c. Email an abuse report to ICG for a AUP violation (if he uses is
ICG.NET dialup): ab...@icgcomm.com

d. Email an abuse report to AOL for a TOS violation (if he uses one of
his many AOL 'screen names'): tose...@aol.com, ab...@aol.com

3. What should I do if I feel that his Newsgroup (USENET) posts
violate his ISP's Acceptable Use Policy or the charter of a particular
newsgroup?

a. If posted from one of his AOL accounts, email a copy of his post
(with full headers) to tosu...@aol.com, ab...@aol.com

b. If posted from his Texas ICG.net dialup, email a copy of his post
(with full headers) to ab...@icgcomm.com

c. If posted using his hotmail.com alias, zackso...@hotmail.com,
email a copy to ab...@hotmail.com

d. If he uses Google, copy groups...@google.com

e. Submit a copy of his post (with full headers) to SpamCop:
http://spamcop.net

MrNiceGuy

Aug 1, 2003, 11:35:48 AM8/1/03
Well...it looks like these PUNKS of NANAE keep tabs on
http://freespeechstore.com because they have been posted there. You
note this guy attempts anonymity. I did a search at FSS (Free Speech
Store) and he is really Andrew at supernews.com, see...

http://freespeechstore.com/public/204_Andrew__Supernews.com_ENDORSES_FILTH!.htm
http://freespeechstore.com/public/146_UPDATE_WALL_OF_SHAME.htm

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=andrew%2Bnonews%40supernews.com+(Andrew+-+Supernews)&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=G&scoring=d
Then do a search at http://freespeechstore.com and use keyword NANAE
and see what pops up!

Andrew is suspected of hacking and other criminal activity at FSS and
other sites. Here are some other folks who can tell you about the
abusive people in NANAE, news.admin.net-abuse.email...

http://www.eff.org/
http://www.niba4u.com/
http://www.niba4u.com/
http://www.the-dma.org/

Beware of these folks..they are evil and according to FSS (Free Speech
Store) they are putting together a lawsuit to handle the illegal
activities, which they personally egg on!