The left has nothing against torture. It just wants to choose the victims.

Dionysus

Apr 23, 2009, 6:57:58 AM4/23/09
FROM THE NY POST

HEAD: PROSECUTING PATRIOTS, THE LEFT'S LOVE OF SHOW TRIALS

SUB-HEAD: Obama must resist calls for witch hunts of America's protectors.

WITH the ugly sanctimony of those who never had to make hard decisions, the
American left demands show trials of those who kept us safe after 9/11.
Wrapping themselves in repugnant self-righteousness, the MoveOn.org set
wants political prosecutions. Should President Obama acquiesce, he won't be
furthering the rule of law, but dismantling it.

Show trials have long been popular with leftists. Those who don't conform to
each jot of doctrine become "enemies of the people." From Stalin down to
Putin, and from Mao to Castro, vengeance disguised as law has been a
mega-hit.

Those on the left don't want justice. If they did, they'd be protesting the
murderous torture prevalent in Iran, the Gaza Strip, Syria, Cuba, Venezuela
and Russia. Instead, our leftists want us to show the leaders of those
terror states more respect.

The left is out for revenge. It always is. Hatred of those who think
differently is the left's unifying principle. Leftists don't need God, but
they see devils everywhere.

When President-for-Life Hugo Chavez called President George W. Bush "el
Diablo," our leftists agreed. Hatred of the last administration grew so
irrational that any terrorist, no matter how monstrous, became no more than
a victim of Bush-Cheney.

Now the left wants an Inquisition for heretics who failed to share its
worldview. Men and women who, in their capacity as public servants, wrestled
with difficult legal issues in the course of our battle with terrorists are
now to be tried and shamed because the left disagreed with their legal
opinions and actions. No matter that most Americans wouldn't view the
methods of our interrogators as torture when applied to hardened terrorists
(despite the media's ceaseless effort to convince us otherwise). No matter
that foreign leaders championed by the left use vastly more brutal
techniques.

No matter that interrogators differ on the utility of "harsh" methods or
that the information gleaned indisputably saved American lives. No matter
that our system of government functioned as it was designed to.

The left just didn't like the results the system produced. Law has nothing
to do with this cry for vengeance. This is purely about political
differences. During the Bush administration, leftists warned repeatedly that
actions they didn't like put our country on a "slippery slope." Well, once
we initiate show trials of government officials who did their best to
protect us, we'll have skipped the slippery slope and leapt to the bottom.

If Obama agrees to any form of show trial, he and his own team will live to
regret it. His party won't always be in power, and he'll have set a hideous,
un-American precedent.

If the Obama administration fails to keep us safe and our citizens are
attacked at home or abroad, shall we then prosecute those who dismantled our
safeguards and gutted our intelligence effort?

As countless leftists learned in the course of the 20th century, today's
witness for the prosecution is tomorrow's enemy of the people.

The rule of law is paramount. When we pervert the law for political ends, we
attack our deepest foundations. Where would such show trials stop? Will we
try Supreme Court justices for issuing legal opinions with which a future
administration disagrees?

There are plenty of genuine crimes worth prosecuting in Washington, DC.
Corruption abounds. Not a few members of Congress -- from both parties --
should be in jail. But corruption isn't taken seriously. Politics are.

If the left gets its People's Court to destroy the lives of patriots who did
their human, imperfect best to defend us (and who succeeded in that effort
for seven years), we will do more damage to the United States than all the
dictators our president longs to embrace could do together.

The left has nothing against torture. It just wants to choose the victims.

Meanwhile, that great bogeyman beloved of left-wing propagandists and
Hollywood (sorry for being redundant), Sen. Joseph McCarthy, is grinning
from ear to ear in hell: He's become the left's new role model.
***************
Good stuff, eh! It's why the Left loons will ultimately lose.

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to
be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty." --John
Adams (1735-1826)

"It's all about ME-E-E-E-E!!!" --B.O., The Narcissistic Fascist

Dionysus

solon fox

Apr 23, 2009, 9:21:33 AM4/23/09

I thought it was the Constitution. It is the Constitution that is
being tortured.

jane....@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2009, 10:57:29 AM4/23/09

The constitution hasn't been tortured. It has been locked up in a
sealed box and ignored for decades.

There is an interesting article about the states retaliation against
the uncontrolled Federal government. The article can be found at:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124044199838345461.html

Jane.

solon fox

Apr 23, 2009, 11:00:13 AM4/23/09
> Jane.- Hide quoted text -

Ahhh... solitary confinement.

zzpat

Apr 24, 2009, 9:34:48 AM4/24/09
Dionysus wrote:
> FROM THE NY POST
>
> HEAD: PROSECUTING PATRIOTS, THE LEFT'S LOVE OF SHOW TRIALS
>
> SUB-HEAD: Obama must resist calls for witch hunts of America's
> protectors.

Is torture illegal? Yes. Did the US torture? Yes. Did the Bush White
House lie about torture? Yes. Did they lie to the American people, the
congress and our courts? Yes.

You call prosecuting lawlessness a show trial. I call it justice.

--
The Legacy of Bush and Conservatism
http://zzpat.tripod.com/cvb/

Google Custom Search Engine:
http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=012146513885108216046:rzesyut3kmm

Dionysus

Apr 24, 2009, 9:17:04 PM4/24/09

"zzpat" <zzpa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Dionysus wrote:
>> FROM THE NY POST
>>
>> HEAD: PROSECUTING PATRIOTS, THE LEFT'S LOVE OF SHOW TRIALS
>>
>> SUB-HEAD: Obama must resist calls for witch hunts of America's
>> protectors.
>>

> Is torture illegal? Yes.

Did the US torture? Yes.

***************
Prove it!

Did the Bush White House lie about torture? Yes.

Prove it!!

Did they lie to the American people, the congress and our courts? Yes.

Prove it!!!

l prosecuting lawlessness a show trial.

What? Ya wanna try that one again? This time try keeping the spittle spewing
under control. Use a drool bucket, if you must (with apologies to Monty
Python).

"Beware the fallacies into which undisciplined thinkers most easily
fall--they are the real distorting prisms of human nature." --Francis Bacon

"Irresponsible power is inconsistent with liberty, and must corrupt those
who exercise it." --John Calhoun (1782-1850)

Dionysus