Debate the causes

已查看 2 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

henness...@hotmail.com

未读,
2006年10月16日 19:39:432006/10/16
收件人
Following on to the post where we arwe posed with the hypothetical
quested; "if there was a homosexual off switchm would you choose to use
it?", why dont we instead do something much more constructive, and
debate the possible causes of homosexuality?

SteLancashire79, u150766

Games that I like to play (and have recently become obsessed with )

href=http://www.gamestotal.com/>Strategy Games</a><br><a
href=http://uc.gamestotal.com/>Unification Wars</a> - <a
href=http://uc.gamestotal.com/>Massive Multiplayer Online
href=http://www.stephenyong.com/runescape.htm>Runescape</a><br><a
href=http://www.stephenyong.com/kingsofchaos.htm>Kings of chaos</a><br>

Strife767

未读,
2006年10月16日 23:09:022006/10/16
收件人
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:39:43 -0400, <henness...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Following on to the post where we arwe posed with the hypothetical
> quested; "if there was a homosexual off switchm would you choose to use
> it?", why dont we instead do something much more constructive, and
> debate the possible causes of homosexuality?

That probably wouldn't be too constructive, considering that there is no
way anyone here could make more headway than all of the scientists doing
the hard work to try and answer the same question.

--
____________ _____________ __________________
__ ___/_ /__________(_)__ __/____/__ /_ ___/__ /

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月17日 02:08:452006/10/17
收件人
In article <1161041983.3...@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
henness...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Following on to the post where we arwe posed with the hypothetical
> quested; "if there was a homosexual off switchm would you choose to use
> it?", why dont we instead do something much more constructive, and
> debate the possible causes of homosexuality?
>

> SteLancashire79, u150766
>

> Games that I like to play (and have recently become obsessed with ?)

> href=http://www.gamestotal.com/>Strategy Games</a><br><a
> href=http://uc.gamestotal.com/>Unification Wars</a> - <a
> href=http://uc.gamestotal.com/>Massive Multiplayer Online
> href=http://www.stephenyong.com/runescape.htm>Runescape</a><br><a
> href=http://www.stephenyong.com/kingsofchaos.htm>Kings of chaos</a><br>

There probably are no causes of homosexuality. In order to prove that
something was a cause of homosexuality (and it doesn't matter if the
thing in question was a gene, a combination of genes, a certain level of
prenatal exposure to hormones, a certain way of being raised by your
parents) you'd have to prove that it was present only in homosexuals.

(If it were present in even one heterosexual, you couldn't say that it
caused homosexuality, as the heterosexual in question obviously wouldn't
be heterosexual in that case). This has never been done. The longer
scientists go on not succedding in finding anything that does cause
homosexuality, the more likely it will seem that no such thing exists.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月17日 02:33:172006/10/17
收件人
In article <op.thjppcy45i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:39:43 -0400, <henness...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Following on to the post where we arwe posed with the hypothetical
> > quested; "if there was a homosexual off switchm would you choose to use
> > it?", why dont we instead do something much more constructive, and
> > debate the possible causes of homosexuality?
>
> That probably wouldn't be too constructive, considering that there is no
> way anyone here could make more headway than all of the scientists doing
> the hard work to try and answer the same question.

They're making no real headway whatsoever, because the questions they
are asking are largely misconceived. The scientific search for the
origins of sexual orientation is bound to end in failure.

Jeff North

未读,
2006年10月17日 09:05:092006/10/17
收件人
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:08:45 +1300, in alt.politics.homosexuality
Qazfez <qaz...@o.com>
<qazfez-0E06B5....@lust.ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>| In article <1161041983.3...@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
>| henness...@hotmail.com wrote:
>|
>| > Following on to the post where we arwe posed with the hypothetical
>| > quested; "if there was a homosexual off switchm would you choose to use
>| > it?", why dont we instead do something much more constructive, and
>| > debate the possible causes of homosexuality?

[snip sig]

>| There probably are no causes of homosexuality. In order to prove that
>| something was a cause of homosexuality (and it doesn't matter if the
>| thing in question was a gene, a combination of genes, a certain level of
>| prenatal exposure to hormones, a certain way of being raised by your
>| parents) you'd have to prove that it was present only in homosexuals.
>|
>| (If it were present in even one heterosexual, you couldn't say that it
>| caused homosexuality, as the heterosexual in question obviously wouldn't
>| be heterosexual in that case). This has never been done. The longer
>| scientists go on not succedding in finding anything that does cause
>| homosexuality, the more likely it will seem that no such thing exists.

To add further to this 'confusion' the scientists would need to then
discover the 'bisexual gene'.
jnor...@yourpantsyahoo.com.au : Remove your pants to reply

Strife767

未读,
2006年10月17日 11:51:292006/10/17
收件人
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 02:33:17 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:

> In article <op.thjppcy45i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:39:43 -0400, <henness...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Following on to the post where we arwe posed with the hypothetical
>> > quested; "if there was a homosexual off switchm would you choose to
>> use
>> > it?", why dont we instead do something much more constructive, and
>> > debate the possible causes of homosexuality?
>>
>> That probably wouldn't be too constructive, considering that there is no
>> way anyone here could make more headway than all of the scientists doing
>> the hard work to try and answer the same question.
>
> They're making no real headway whatsoever,

...you haven't really been paying attention, have you?

> because the questions they
> are asking are largely misconceived. The scientific search for the
> origins of sexual orientation is bound to end in failure.

lol, oh, you're one of those people, huh?

Strife767

未读,
2006年10月17日 12:22:142006/10/17
收件人
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 02:08:45 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:

> In article <1161041983.3...@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
> henness...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> Following on to the post where we arwe posed with the hypothetical
>> quested; "if there was a homosexual off switchm would you choose to use
>> it?", why dont we instead do something much more constructive, and
>> debate the possible causes of homosexuality?
>>

>> SteLancashire79, u150766
>>
>> Games that I like to play (and have recently become obsessed with ?)

>> href=http://www.gamestotal.com/>Strategy Games</a><br><a
>> href=http://uc.gamestotal.com/>Unification Wars</a> - <a
>> href=http://uc.gamestotal.com/>Massive Multiplayer Online
>> href=http://www.stephenyong.com/runescape.htm>Runescape</a><br><a
>> href=http://www.stephenyong.com/kingsofchaos.htm>Kings of chaos</a><br>
>
> There probably are no causes of homosexuality. In order to prove that
> something was a cause of homosexuality (and it doesn't matter if the
> thing in question was a gene, a combination of genes, a certain level of
> prenatal exposure to hormones, a certain way of being raised by your
> parents) you'd have to prove that it was present only in homosexuals.

Not true. Different things can have different effects on different people.

> (If it were present in even one heterosexual, you couldn't say that it
> caused homosexuality, as the heterosexual in question obviously wouldn't
> be heterosexual in that case). This has never been done. The longer
> scientists go on not succedding in finding anything that does cause
> homosexuality, the more likely it will seem that no such thing exists.

You are obviously unaware of the steps closer that have been taken in
recent years.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月17日 18:05:222006/10/17
收件人
In article <op.thkqfbsk5i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 02:08:45 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <1161041983.3...@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
> > henness...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> Following on to the post where we arwe posed with the hypothetical
> >> quested; "if there was a homosexual off switchm would you choose to use
> >> it?", why dont we instead do something much more constructive, and
> >> debate the possible causes of homosexuality?
> >>

> >> SteLancashire79, u150766
> >>
> >> Games that I like to play (and have recently become obsessed with ?)

> >> href=http://www.gamestotal.com/>Strategy Games</a><br><a
> >> href=http://uc.gamestotal.com/>Unification Wars</a> - <a
> >> href=http://uc.gamestotal.com/>Massive Multiplayer Online
> >> href=http://www.stephenyong.com/runescape.htm>Runescape</a><br><a
> >> href=http://www.stephenyong.com/kingsofchaos.htm>Kings of chaos</a><br>
> >
> > There probably are no causes of homosexuality. In order to prove that
> > something was a cause of homosexuality (and it doesn't matter if the
> > thing in question was a gene, a combination of genes, a certain level of
> > prenatal exposure to hormones, a certain way of being raised by your
> > parents) you'd have to prove that it was present only in homosexuals.
>
> Not true. Different things can have different effects on different people.

So what? That has nothing to do with what I said. The issue is that the
same things can have different effects on different people, which makes
it impossible to determine any cause of homosexuality or heterosexuality.

> > (If it were present in even one heterosexual, you couldn't say that it
> > caused homosexuality, as the heterosexual in question obviously wouldn't
> > be heterosexual in that case). This has never been done. The longer
> > scientists go on not succedding in finding anything that does cause
> > homosexuality, the more likely it will seem that no such thing exists.
>
> You are obviously unaware of the steps closer that have been taken in
> recent years.

More assertion. You are obviously unaware of the basic problems involved
in determining any "cause" of sexual orientation. These problems are
obvious and can be explained quite simply. The researchers are never
going to solve them properly.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月17日 18:07:432006/10/17
收件人
In article <op.thkoz2u45i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 02:33:17 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <op.thjppcy45i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> use
> >>
> >> That probably wouldn't be too constructive, considering that there is no
> >> way anyone here could make more headway than all of the scientists doing
> >> the hard work to try and answer the same question.
> >
> > They're making no real headway whatsoever,
>
> ...you haven't really been paying attention, have you?

I have been paying a fair bit of attention. Sexual orientation research
is a dying area of science, a failing area of science, an area of
science rational scientists should stay away from for self-protection.

> > because the questions they
> > are asking are largely misconceived. The scientific search for the
> > origins of sexual orientation is bound to end in failure.
>
> lol, oh, you're one of those people, huh?

What are you talking about?

Strife767

未读,
2006年10月17日 21:10:402006/10/17
收件人
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:07:43 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:

> In article <op.thkoz2u45i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 02:33:17 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:

>> is no
>> doing
>> >
>> > They're making no real headway whatsoever,
>>
>> ...you haven't really been paying attention, have you?
>
> I have been paying a fair bit of attention. Sexual orientation research
> is a dying area of science, a failing area of science,

!!!

No, you have _not_ been paying attention to the significant breakthroughs
that have happened in just the last few years, or you would not say
something so ludicrous!

> an area of
> science rational scientists should stay away from for self-protection.

Unlike you and your ilk, scientists have no fear of looking for the
answers to the 'hard questions.' And it's paid off continuously.

>> > because the questions they
>> > are asking are largely misconceived. The scientific search for the
>> > origins of sexual orientation is bound to end in failure.
>>
>> lol, oh, you're one of those people, huh?
>
> What are you talking about?

Don't worry about it--you wouldn't understand if I tried to explain it to
you.

Strife767

未读,
2006年10月17日 21:14:002006/10/17
收件人
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:05:22 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:

> In article <op.thkqfbsk5i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 02:08:45 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:
>>
>> > In article <1161041983.3...@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
>> > henness...@hotmail.com wrote:

>> > There probably are no causes of homosexuality. In order to prove that
>> > something was a cause of homosexuality (and it doesn't matter if the
>> > thing in question was a gene, a combination of genes, a certain level
>> of
>> > prenatal exposure to hormones, a certain way of being raised by your
>> > parents) you'd have to prove that it was present only in homosexuals.
>>
>> Not true. Different things can have different effects on different
>> people.
>
> So what?

So, if one such cause happens to not have a significant effect on a given
person, that is not enough to throw it out, as you suggested.

> That has nothing to do with what I said.

Oh, but it does.

[snip]

>> You are obviously unaware of the steps closer that have been taken in
>> recent years.
>
> More assertion.

What was it, like less than a year ago that scientists gained the ability
to change the sexual orientation of fruit flies by manipulating their
genes? Try to keep up.

> You are obviously unaware of the basic problems involved
> in determining any "cause" of sexual orientation. These problems are
> obvious and can be explained quite simply. The researchers are never
> going to solve them properly.

So says someone woefully unaware of the progress that has been made even
recently, not to mention the vast difference between today and a few
decades ago.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月17日 21:19:512006/10/17
收件人
In article <op.thlev0ni5i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Fire away, man. Say whatever the hell you like. I could say the same
damn thing back to you. You're proving nothing this way, except that you
can't understand the somewhat obvious point I made about why causes for
homosexuality will prove impossible to isolate and likely don't exist.

> > an area of
> > science rational scientists should stay away from for self-protection.
>
> Unlike you and your ilk, scientists have no fear of looking for the
> answers to the 'hard questions.' And it's paid off continuously.

Oh? You mean that scientists found the cause or causes of homosexuality?
How lovely. Well, I guess now that they've done that, all research on
sexual orientation can stop, right? So presumably no more books are ever
going to be written on this subject, and the researchers who have been
researching it can stop doing that and study something else, perhaps?

> >> lol, oh, you're one of those people, huh?
> >
> > What are you talking about?
>
> Don't worry about it--you wouldn't understand if I tried to explain it to
> you.

Smartass.

Strife767

未读,
2006年10月17日 21:34:352006/10/17
收件人

*shakes head* I wish people weren't so willfully ignorant. Here's just one
example of a brand-new, and pretty big, step in that direction that is
barely a year old:

"...experts said they were both awed and shocked by the findings. "The
results are so clean and compelling, the whole field of the genetic roots
of behavior is moved forward tremendously by this work," said Dr. Michael
Weiss, chairman of the department of biochemistry at Case Western Reserve
University. "Hopefully this will take the discussion about sexual
preferences out of the realm of morality and put it in the realm of
science."

He added: "I never chose to be heterosexual; it just happened. But humans
are complicated. With the flies we can see in a simple and elegant way how
a gene can influence and determine behavior."

The finding supports scientific evidence accumulating over the past decade
that sexual orientation may be innately programmed into the brains of men
and women. Equally intriguing, the researchers say, is the possibility
that a number of behaviors - hitting back when feeling threatened, fleeing
when scared or laughing when amused - may also be programmed into human
brains, a product of genetic heritage.

"This is a first - a superb demonstration that a single gene can serve as
a switch for complex behaviors," said Dr. Gero Miesenboeck, a professor of
cell biology at Yale."
--http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/03/science/03cell.html?ex=1275451200&en=ab3fa239e94d393c&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

>> > an area of
>> > science rational scientists should stay away from for self-protection.
>>
>> Unlike you and your ilk, scientists have no fear of looking for the
>> answers to the 'hard questions.' And it's paid off continuously.
>
> Oh? You mean that scientists found the cause or causes of homosexuality?

They're getting ever closer. It won't be long now.

> How lovely. Well, I guess now that they've done that, all research on
> sexual orientation can stop, right? So presumably no more books are ever
> going to be written on this subject, and the researchers who have been
> researching it can stop doing that and study something else, perhaps?

>> > What are you talking about?
>>
>> Don't worry about it--you wouldn't understand if I tried to explain it
>> you.
>
> Smartass.

Careful--wouldn't want to prove my point inadvertently.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月17日 21:34:502006/10/17
收件人
In article <op.thle1m1d5i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:05:22 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <op.thkqfbsk5i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> of
> >>
> >> Not true. Different things can have different effects on different
> >> people.
> >
> > So what?
>
> So, if one such cause happens to not have a significant effect on a given
> person, that is not enough to throw it out, as you suggested.

What do you mean 'happens to not have a significant effect'? If
something is a cause of something else, then it causes it, or should
cause it, in all cases. Just like that. To say that a cause might
'happen not to have a significant effect' in a particular case implies
that whatever the supposed cause is, it cannot cause something
automatically and by itself but that something else must also occur for
it to have its effect - ie, that it is not a real cause at all.

> > That has nothing to do with what I said.
>
> Oh, but it does.
>
> [snip]
>
> >> You are obviously unaware of the steps closer that have been taken in
> >> recent years.
> >
> > More assertion.
>
> What was it, like less than a year ago that scientists gained the ability
> to change the sexual orientation of fruit flies by manipulating their
> genes? Try to keep up.

Since when are humans fruit flies?

> > You are obviously unaware of the basic problems involved
> > in determining any "cause" of sexual orientation. These problems are
> > obvious and can be explained quite simply. The researchers are never
> > going to solve them properly.
>
> So says someone woefully unaware of the progress that has been made even
> recently, not to mention the vast difference between today and a few
> decades ago.

More assertion.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月17日 21:48:092006/10/17
收件人
In article <op.thlfzw0b5i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

[snip]

> > Fire away, man. Say whatever the hell you like. I could say the same
> > damn thing back to you. You're proving nothing this way, except that you
> > can't understand the somewhat obvious point I made about why causes for
> > homosexuality will prove impossible to isolate and likely don't exist.
>
> *shakes head* I wish people weren't so willfully ignorant. Here's just one
> example of a brand-new, and pretty big, step in that direction that is
> barely a year old:
>
> "...experts said they were both awed and shocked by the findings. "The
> results are so clean and compelling, the whole field of the genetic roots
> of behavior is moved forward tremendously by this work," said Dr. Michael
> Weiss, chairman of the department of biochemistry at Case Western Reserve
> University. "Hopefully this will take the discussion about sexual
> preferences out of the realm of morality and put it in the realm of
> science."
>
> He added: "I never chose to be heterosexual; it just happened. But humans
> are complicated. With the flies we can see in a simple and elegant way how
> a gene can influence and determine behavior."
>
> The finding supports scientific evidence accumulating over the past decade
> that sexual orientation may be innately programmed into the brains of men
> and women. Equally intriguing, the researchers say, is the possibility
> that a number of behaviors - hitting back when feeling threatened, fleeing
> when scared or laughing when amused - may also be programmed into human
> brains, a product of genetic heritage.

It doesn't do anything of the kind, because it is a study on flies, not
a study on humans. Telling that it should be in insects that they find
something like this, and not in mammals, or primates, let alone humans.

The fact that human sexual orientation can shift independently of any
genetic manipulation could be taken to show that there is no gene or
cluster of genes that determines it. This is a much better argument than
the one you are using, because uses the experience of our own species.

The only alternative to this interpretation - I've only ever found one
person foolish enough to suggest it - would be that if a person's sexual
orientation shifts, it was biologically preprogrammed to do that. This
is possible only in the sense that anything is possible. One can't prove
absolutely that it's not the case, but there is no reason to believe
that it is the case. The most plausible interpretation of shifting
sexual orientation in humans is that sexual orientation is not inborn.

> "This is a first - a superb demonstration that a single gene can serve as
> a switch for complex behaviors," said Dr. Gero Miesenboeck, a professor of
> cell biology at Yale."
> --http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/03/science/03cell.html?ex=1275451200&en=ab3fa
> 239e94d393c&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

> >> Unlike you and your ilk, scientists have no fear of looking for the
> >> answers to the 'hard questions.' And it's paid off continuously.
> >
> > Oh? You mean that scientists found the cause or causes of homosexuality?
>
> They're getting ever closer. It won't be long now.

You're deluding yourself, at the very least because homosexuality would
have to have multiple causes, if it had any causes at all, which I don't
accept. Science hasn't found even one cause of homosexuality in humans.

[snip]

ScottyFLL

未读,
2006年10月17日 22:10:242006/10/17
收件人

Qazfez wrote:

> There probably are no causes of homosexuality.

So, homosexuality just exists. There is no cause.

I don't have a problem with that. Let's assume it is true.

WHAT IS THE ISSUE, THEN?

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月17日 22:16:212006/10/17
收件人
In article <1161137424.0...@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"ScottyFLL" <1sc...@lycos.com> wrote:

The issue is that certain scientists and journalists have proclaimed
that it is indisputably true or overwhelmingly likely to be true that
homosexuality is biologically determined. This is a corruption of
science and poses a political problem.

ScottyFLL

未读,
2006年10月17日 22:18:422006/10/17
收件人

Qazfez wrote:

> The issue is that certain scientists and journalists have proclaimed
> that it is indisputably true or overwhelmingly likely to be true that
> homosexuality is biologically determined. This is a corruption of
> science and poses a political problem.

Aren't they doing that in order to dispel the notion that it is
"chosen" (in other words, to prove that choice is not the cause)?

Andrealphus

未读,
2006年10月17日 22:21:472006/10/17
收件人
In News qazfez-92B9CE....@lust.ihug.co.nz,, Qazfez at
qaz...@o.com, typed this:

Which counters the agressive arguments from the religious nut cases that it
is indisputably true (not even as wishy washy as overwhelmingly likely to be
true) that homosexuality must be chosen. This isn't a corruption of
religion though, that's how they've operated for thousands of years, only to
be proven wrong in such matters time and again, but it still doesn't slow
them down.

--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if there be
one, he must more approve the homage of reason than that of blindfolded

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月17日 22:29:242006/10/17
收件人
In article <1161137922.2...@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
"ScottyFLL" <1sc...@lycos.com> wrote:

That's not exactly it. They take the idea that homosexuality is not a
choice for granted, which they can do only because they think that it's
obvious what a 'choice' is. Actually it's far from obvious.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月17日 22:30:262006/10/17
收件人
In article <%cgZg.15405$UG4....@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Andrealphus" <NOREAL...@THISADDRESS.FOAD> wrote:

> In News qazfez-92B9CE....@lust.ihug.co.nz,, Qazfez at
> qaz...@o.com, typed this:
>
> > In article <1161137424.0...@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

> >> So, homosexuality just exists. There is no cause.
> >>
> >> I don't have a problem with that. Let's assume it is true.
> >>
> >> WHAT IS THE ISSUE, THEN?
> >
> > The issue is that certain scientists and journalists have proclaimed
> > that it is indisputably true or overwhelmingly likely to be true that
> > homosexuality is biologically determined. This is a corruption of
> > science and poses a political problem.
>
> Which counters the agressive arguments from the religious nut cases that it
> is indisputably true (not even as wishy washy as overwhelmingly likely to be
> true) that homosexuality must be chosen. This isn't a corruption of
> religion though, that's how they've operated for thousands of years, only to
> be proven wrong in such matters time and again, but it still doesn't slow
> them down.

Actually they haven't been proven wrong. It's not obvious that
homosexuality is not a choice because it's not obvious what a choice is.

Dionisio

未读,
2006年10月17日 23:12:472006/10/17
收件人
Qazfez wrote:

>The issue is that certain scientists and journalists have proclaimed
>that it is indisputably true or overwhelmingly likely to be true that
>homosexuality is biologically determined. This is a corruption of
>science and poses a political problem.

So take it out of the hands of the scientists and journalists and give
it to the politicians already!

(Just be sure to have the checkbook handy.)

Oh, wait. The politicians seem to be rather distracted with numerous and
various scandals at the moment. Perhaps we shouldn't overload their
plates... You do know that porking has it's proper place and time, yes?

--
"If Christians want us to believe in a Redeemer, let them act redeemed."
--Voltaire

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月17日 23:25:252006/10/17
收件人
In article <PYgZg.16646$pq4....@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
Dionisio <moc-rr-t...@5ellimd.com> wrote:

> Qazfez wrote:
>
> >The issue is that certain scientists and journalists have proclaimed
> >that it is indisputably true or overwhelmingly likely to be true that
> >homosexuality is biologically determined. This is a corruption of
> >science and poses a political problem.
> >

> So take it out of the hands of the scientists and journalists and give
> it to the politicians already!
>
> (Just be sure to have the checkbook handy.)
>
> Oh, wait. The politicians seem to be rather distracted with numerous and
> various scandals at the moment. Perhaps we shouldn't overload their
> plates... You do know that porking has it's proper place and time, yes?

All that I am suggesting is that scientists be a little more honest, and
much more modest, in what they are willing to claim.

Andrealphus

未读,
2006年10月17日 23:31:112006/10/17
收件人
In News qazfez-F44F5A....@lust.ihug.co.nz,, Qazfez at
qaz...@o.com, typed this:

> In article <%cgZg.15405$UG4....@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> "Andrealphus" <NOREAL...@THISADDRESS.FOAD> wrote:
>
>> In News qazfez-92B9CE....@lust.ihug.co.nz,, Qazfez at
>> qaz...@o.com, typed this:

>>> The issue is that certain scientists and journalists have proclaimed
>>> that it is indisputably true or overwhelmingly likely to be true
>>> that homosexuality is biologically determined. This is a corruption
>>> of science and poses a political problem.
>>
>> Which counters the agressive arguments from the religious nut cases
>> that it is indisputably true (not even as wishy washy as
>> overwhelmingly likely to be true) that homosexuality must be chosen.
>> This isn't a corruption of religion though, that's how they've
>> operated for thousands of years, only to be proven wrong in such
>> matters time and again, but it still doesn't slow them down.
>
> Actually they haven't been proven wrong.

Obviously, they have.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月17日 23:37:152006/10/17
收件人
In article <3ehZg.8594$Lv3....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Andrealphus" <NOREAL...@THISADDRESS.FOAD> wrote:

Obviously you can't do anything to support that claim.

Andrealphus

未读,
2006年10月17日 23:43:002006/10/17
收件人
In News qazfez-C79EEB....@lust.ihug.co.nz,, Qazfez at
qaz...@o.com, typed this:

Obviously, history has supported it quite well. You're just another in a
long line of religionists that claims that science can't solve something.
From before Galileo to the present day, each and every time a religionist
has made the claim that science can't solve a problem, science eventually
solves it. This is no different.

"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to
claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."

Cardinal Bellarmine,
[1615, during the trial of Galileo]

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月18日 02:48:462006/10/18
收件人
In article <8phZg.8614$Lv3....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Andrealphus" <NOREAL...@THISADDRESS.FOAD> wrote:

Why don't you try addressing my argument as to why homosexuality is
unlikely to be biologically determined?

Andrealphus

未读,
2006年10月18日 06:09:012006/10/18
收件人
In News qazfez-A1F909....@lust.ihug.co.nz,, Qazfez at
qaz...@o.com, typed this:

I have. Just because you don't like the answer is no consequence.
Science will eventually solve the sexual orientation question, one way or
the other. In either event, environment or genetic, or a combination of
the two, it is irrelevant to the political issues regardless.

Dionisio

未读,
2006年10月18日 08:00:222006/10/18
收件人
Qazfez wrote:

>Dionisio <moc-rr-t...@5ellimd.com> wrote:
>

>>So take it out of the hands of the scientists and journalists and give
>>it to the politicians already!
>>
>>(Just be sure to have the checkbook handy.)
>>

>All that I am suggesting is that scientists be a little more honest, and
>much more modest, in what they are willing to claim.

Now how does one get more honest than: "This is what I was curious
about, so I did such and such, recorded the results, speculated on what
they mean, and then published everything for others to critique." About
the only thing they leave out is the name of the manufacturer of the
number 2 pencils they used. (And sometimes they even include that.)

The only way they could be more open is on an autopsy table.

(Unless you're talking about pseudo-scientific shysters.)

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月18日 17:19:432006/10/18
收件人
In article <13nZg.12897$o71....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Andrealphus" <NOREAL...@THISADDRESS.FOAD> wrote:

When? Where? I think I missed your response to my argument, or were you
not sure what it was?

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月18日 17:21:502006/10/18
收件人
In article <qHoZg.15749$OE1....@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
Dionisio <moc-rr-t...@5ellimd.com> wrote:

> Qazfez wrote:
>
> >Dionisio <moc-rr-t...@5ellimd.com> wrote:
> >

> >>So take it out of the hands of the scientists and journalists and give
> >>it to the politicians already!
> >>
> >>(Just be sure to have the checkbook handy.)
> >>

> >All that I am suggesting is that scientists be a little more honest, and
> >much more modest, in what they are willing to claim.
> >

> Now how does one get more honest than: "This is what I was curious
> about, so I did such and such, recorded the results, speculated on what
> they mean, and then published everything for others to critique."

So who has used those exact words?

Andrealphus

未读,
2006年10月18日 17:22:192006/10/18
收件人
In News qazfez-16A42A....@lust.ihug.co.nz,, Qazfez at
qaz...@o.com, typed this:

Read for comprehension and you will find it.

Strife767

未读,
2006年10月18日 19:44:442006/10/18
收件人

lol, so do you think that all of the study _not_ done on humans (mostly
because of ethical concerns), but other animals instead, have contributed
_nothing_ (you said "doesn't do anything," remember) to medicine or other
branches of science having to do with humans specifically?

Get a grip.

> Telling that it should be in insects that they find
> something like this, and not in mammals, or primates, let alone humans.
>
> The fact that human sexual orientation can shift independently of any
> genetic manipulation could be taken to show that there is no gene or
> cluster of genes that determines it.

No one is claiming that there is a 'gene switch' for humans, but there is
reason to think that there is at least a genetic component which would
cause at least a tendency.

> This is a much better argument than
> the one you are using, because uses the experience of our own species.

You are arguing against a straw man.

> The only alternative to this interpretation - I've only ever found one
> person foolish enough to suggest it - would be that if a person's sexual
> orientation shifts, it was biologically preprogrammed to do that. This
> is possible only in the sense that anything is possible. One can't prove
> absolutely that it's not the case, but there is no reason to believe
> that it is the case. The most plausible interpretation of shifting
> sexual orientation in humans is that sexual orientation is not inborn.

The only alternative? Is it too complex for your mind that it might just
be a _combination_ of factors? You're just in the process of building
another straw man here.

>> "This is a first - a superb demonstration that a single gene can serve
>> as
>> a switch for complex behaviors," said Dr. Gero Miesenboeck, a professor
>> of
>> cell biology at Yale."
>> --http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/03/science/03cell.html?ex=1275451200&en=ab3fa
>> 239e94d393c&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

>> self-protection.

>> > Oh? You mean that scientists found the cause or causes of
>> homosexuality?
>>
>> They're getting ever closer. It won't be long now.
>
> You're deluding yourself, at the very least because homosexuality would
> have to have multiple causes, if it had any causes at all, which I don't
> accept.

The existence of multiple factors does not depend on your acceptance.

> Science hasn't found even one cause of homosexuality in humans.

We've sure narrowed it down a hell of a lot more than it's been merely a
few decades ago. This is just argument from incredulity again--just
because it's not something we know _exactly_ now doesn't at _all_ mean
that it is something we will never know.

Fallacy after fallacy--you should really be a bit more humble, instead of
speaking so confidently with such skewed logic.

Strife767

未读,
2006年10月18日 19:49:322006/10/18
收件人

I mean if a given "cause" has no effect on a given person, that is not
reason to discount it entirely. I'd think that'd be exceedingly obvious.

> If
> something is a cause of something else, then it causes it, or should
> cause it, in all cases. Just like that.

You think far too black/white to understand the topic at hand. You sorely
need to inform yourself better about the intricacies of human biology and
psychology, as you're making it clear just how little a grasp you have of
how things work when it comes to humans

>> > More assertion.
>>
>> What was it, like less than a year ago that scientists gained the
>> ability
>> to change the sexual orientation of fruit flies by manipulating their
>> genes? Try to keep up.
>
> Since when are humans fruit flies?
>
>> > You are obviously unaware of the basic problems involved
>> > in determining any "cause" of sexual orientation. These problems are
>> > obvious and can be explained quite simply. The researchers are never
>> > going to solve them properly.
>>
>> So says someone woefully unaware of the progress that has been made even
>> recently, not to mention the vast difference between today and a few
>> decades ago.
>
> More assertion.

I already cited the results of a minute of Googling--if you won't budge at
all to inform yourself anymore, then there is no hope for you to
understand. Read some scientific literature once in a while before you
make such baffling statements again, for your own sake.

Strife767

未读,
2006年10月18日 19:50:362006/10/18
收件人
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:16:21 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:

> In article <1161137424.0...@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> "ScottyFLL" <1sc...@lycos.com> wrote:
>
>> Qazfez wrote:
>> >
>> > There probably are no causes of homosexuality.
>>
>> So, homosexuality just exists. There is no cause.
>>
>> I don't have a problem with that. Let's assume it is true.
>>
>> WHAT IS THE ISSUE, THEN?
>
> The issue is that certain scientists and journalists have proclaimed
> that it is indisputably true or overwhelmingly likely to be true that
> homosexuality is biologically determined.

Proof? All I see are weasel words.

> This is a corruption of
> science and poses a political problem.

If indeed it's even true.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月18日 21:04:122006/10/18
收件人
In article <op.thm5sthj5i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

What should be obvious is that if something cannot cause something else
by itself, but requires something else to happen in order to cause that
thing, it cannot by itself be considered a cause: only that thing +
whatever else it takes to cause something else would be a cause.

> > If
> > something is a cause of something else, then it causes it, or should
> > cause it, in all cases. Just like that.
>
> You think far too black/white to understand the topic at hand. You sorely
> need to inform yourself better about the intricacies of human biology and
> psychology, as you're making it clear just how little a grasp you have of
> how things work when it comes to humans

That is not a real argument and does not answer the point I made.

> >> What was it, like less than a year ago that scientists gained the
> >> ability
> >> to change the sexual orientation of fruit flies by manipulating their
> >> genes? Try to keep up.
> >
> > Since when are humans fruit flies?

> >> So says someone woefully unaware of the progress that has been made even
> >> recently, not to mention the vast difference between today and a few
> >> decades ago.
> >
> > More assertion.
>
> I already cited the results of a minute of Googling--if you won't budge at
> all to inform yourself anymore, then there is no hope for you to
> understand. Read some scientific literature once in a while before you
> make such baffling statements again, for your own sake.

Once again: humans are not fruit flies. Behaviour of fruit flies shows
nothing about human behaviour.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月18日 21:04:422006/10/18
收件人
In article <fWwZg.11206$Y24....@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Andrealphus" <NOREAL...@THISADDRESS.FOAD> wrote:

You didn't respond to my argument and asserting otherwise won't help.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月18日 21:08:222006/10/18
收件人
In article <op.thm5ktj45i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

[snip]

> lol, so do you think that all of the study not done on humans (mostly

> because of ethical concerns), but other animals instead, have contributed

> nothing (you said "doesn't do anything," remember) to medicine or other

> branches of science having to do with humans specifically?
>
> Get a grip.

You're not answering my point. Humans are not fruit flies and the fact
that something is true of fruit flies does not show that it is true of
humans.

> > Telling that it should be in insects that they find
> > something like this, and not in mammals, or primates, let alone humans.
> >
> > The fact that human sexual orientation can shift independently of any
> > genetic manipulation could be taken to show that there is no gene or
> > cluster of genes that determines it.
>
> No one is claiming that there is a 'gene switch' for humans, but there is
> reason to think that there is at least a genetic component which would
> cause at least a tendency.

'A genetic component which could cause at least a tendency' is vague,
and doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as saying that homosexuality
is biologically determined.

> > This is a much better argument than

> > the one you are using, because uses the experience of our own species.
>
> You are arguing against a straw man.

What straw man?

> > The only alternative to this interpretation - I've only ever found one
> > person foolish enough to suggest it - would be that if a person's sexual
> > orientation shifts, it was biologically preprogrammed to do that. This
> > is possible only in the sense that anything is possible. One can't prove
> > absolutely that it's not the case, but there is no reason to believe
> > that it is the case. The most plausible interpretation of shifting
> > sexual orientation in humans is that sexual orientation is not inborn.
>
> The only alternative? Is it too complex for your mind that it might just

> be a combination of factors? You're just in the process of building
> another straw man here.

What might be a combination of factors? What are you talking about? How
is that meant to answer the argument I just offered?

> >> "This is a first - a superb demonstration that a single gene can serve
> >> as
> >> a switch for complex behaviors," said Dr. Gero Miesenboeck, a professor
> >> of
> >> cell biology at Yale."
> >> --http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/03/science/03cell.html?ex=1275451200&en=ab
> >> 3fa
> >> 239e94d393c&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

> >> self-protection.

> >> homosexuality?
> >>
> >> They're getting ever closer. It won't be long now.
> >
> > You're deluding yourself, at the very least because homosexuality would
> > have to have multiple causes, if it had any causes at all, which I don't
> > accept.
>
> The existence of multiple factors does not depend on your acceptance.

So?

> > Science hasn't found even one cause of homosexuality in humans.
>
> We've sure narrowed it down a hell of a lot more than it's been merely a
> few decades ago. This is just argument from incredulity again--just

> because it's not something we know exactly now doesn't at all mean

> that it is something we will never know.
>
> Fallacy after fallacy--you should really be a bit more humble, instead of
> speaking so confidently with such skewed logic.

I have used a number of perfectly logical arguments and you have ignored
or failed to respond to them.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月18日 21:15:422006/10/18
收件人
In article <op.thm5umpf5i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:16:21 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <1161137424.0...@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

> >> So, homosexuality just exists. There is no cause.
> >>
> >> I don't have a problem with that. Let's assume it is true.
> >>
> >> WHAT IS THE ISSUE, THEN?
> >
> > The issue is that certain scientists and journalists have proclaimed
> > that it is indisputably true or overwhelmingly likely to be true that
> > homosexuality is biologically determined.
>
> Proof? All I see are weasel words.

Just read Chandler Burr's website, or his book. Guy's a hardened
ideologue, and one much less smart than he likes to think.

Andrealphus

未读,
2006年10月18日 21:34:262006/10/18
收件人
In News qazfez-F9409A....@lust.ihug.co.nz,, Qazfez at
qaz...@o.com, typed this:

Yes, I did, and asserting otherwise won't help.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月18日 21:46:222006/10/18
收件人
In article <CCAZg.15668$UG4...@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Andrealphus" <NOREAL...@THISADDRESS.FOAD> wrote:

Do you have any good reason for thinking that the view of people you
refer to as 'religious nutcases', eg that homosexuality is a choice, has
been disproven?

Andrealphus

未读,
2006年10月18日 22:33:282006/10/18
收件人
In News qazfez-F542C5....@lust.ihug.co.nz,, Qazfez at
qaz...@o.com, typed this:

Think about it for a while, it may come to you.

Strife767

未读,
2006年10月18日 23:32:282006/10/18
收件人
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:08:22 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:

> In article <op.thm5ktj45i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> lol, so do you think that all of the study not done on humans (mostly
>> because of ethical concerns), but other animals instead, have
>> contributed
>> nothing (you said "doesn't do anything," remember) to medicine or
>> other
>> branches of science having to do with humans specifically?
>>
>> Get a grip.
>
> You're not answering my point. Humans are not fruit flies and the fact
> that something is true of fruit flies does not show that it is true of
> humans.

No one said there was direct correlation, but the fact that we are talking
genetics of two animal species, shows that it _is_ significant.

After all, rats are the test subjects for most of the stuff that ends up
being used on/for humans, and they're not exactly equal either.

>> > Telling that it should be in insects that they find
>> > something like this, and not in mammals, or primates, let alone
>> humans.
>> >
>> > The fact that human sexual orientation can shift independently of any
>> > genetic manipulation could be taken to show that there is no gene or
>> > cluster of genes that determines it.
>>
>> No one is claiming that there is a 'gene switch' for humans, but there
>> is
>> reason to think that there is at least a genetic component which would
>> cause at least a tendency.
>
> 'A genetic component which could cause at least a tendency' is vague,
> and doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as saying that homosexuality
> is biologically determined.

It doesn't matter that it doesn't mean the same thing, because no
reputable source has claimed that homosexuality is wholly biological.

>> > This is a much better argument than
>> > the one you are using, because uses the experience of our own species.
>>
>> You are arguing against a straw man.
>
> What straw man?

The claim of "homosexuality is biologically determined." You seem to have
trouble arguing in anything but extremes.

>> > The only alternative to this interpretation - I've only ever found one
>> > person foolish enough to suggest it - would be that if a person's
>> sexual
>> > orientation shifts, it was biologically preprogrammed to do that. This
>> > is possible only in the sense that anything is possible. One can't
>> prove
>> > absolutely that it's not the case, but there is no reason to believe
>> > that it is the case. The most plausible interpretation of shifting
>> > sexual orientation in humans is that sexual orientation is not inborn.
>>
>> The only alternative? Is it too complex for your mind that it might just
>> be a combination of factors? You're just in the process of building
>> another straw man here.
>
> What might be a combination of factors? What are you talking about? How
> is that meant to answer the argument I just offered?

*sighs* This is obviously over your head, as you have just demonstrated.
I'm done wasting time with you on this.

[snip]

Strife767

未读,
2006年10月18日 23:35:422006/10/18
收件人
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:46:22 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:

> Do you have any good reason for thinking that the view of people you
> refer to as 'religious nutcases', eg that homosexuality is a choice, has
> been disproven?

Hall, J. A. Y. and D. Kimura, "Dermatoglyphic Asymmetry and Sexual
Orientation in Men," Behavioral Neuroscience 108 (1994): 1203-1206.

Hamer, Dean and Peter Copeland. The Science of Desire. New York: Simon and
Schuster, 1994.

LeVay, Simon. The Sexual Brain. Cambridge: MIT Press, 1993.

Matthews, John. "Supporting the Biological Link." ASU Research (1994): n.
pag. Online. Internet. 4 November 1997.

Wertz, Dorothy C. "Genetics and Homosexuality," The Gene Letter 1 (1996):
n. pag. Online. Internet. 4 November 1997.

http://www.apa.org/topics/orientation.html#choice

http://www.psych.org/public_info/HOMOSE~1.HTM

http://www.theatlantic.com/atlantic/issues/97jun/burr2.htm

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/facts_mental_health.html

Strife767

未读,
2006年10月18日 23:38:032006/10/18
收件人
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:15:42 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:

> In article <op.thm5umpf5i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:16:21 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:

>> > The issue is that certain scientists and journalists have proclaimed
>> > that it is indisputably true or overwhelmingly likely to be true that
>> > homosexuality is biologically determined.
>>
>> Proof? All I see are weasel words.
>
> Just read Chandler Burr's website, or his book.

He's a journalist, and _not_ a scientist.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption you have no _real_ evidence.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月19日 02:23:372006/10/19
收件人
In article <op.thngdoe45i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:15:42 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <op.thm5umpf5i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Proof? All I see are weasel words.
> >
> > Just read Chandler Burr's website, or his book.
>
> He's a journalist, and _not_ a scientist.
>
> I think it's a pretty safe assumption you have no _real_ evidence.

Just see above. I said "scientists and journalists", and yes, I'm well
aware that Burr is a journalist.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月19日 02:24:282006/10/19
收件人
In article <YtBZg.9130$Lv3....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Andrealphus" <NOREAL...@THISADDRESS.FOAD> wrote:

Yeah, the reason is that you have an ideological motivation to believe
what you believe. It suits your self-interest.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月19日 02:25:052006/10/19
收件人
In article <op.thnf9sx75i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:46:22 -0400, Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote:
>
> > Do you have any good reason for thinking that the view of people you
> > refer to as 'religious nutcases', eg that homosexuality is a choice, has
> > been disproven?
>
> Hall, J. A. Y. and D. Kimura, "Dermatoglyphic Asymmetry and Sexual
> Orientation in Men," Behavioral Neuroscience 108 (1994): 1203-1206.
>
> Hamer, Dean and Peter Copeland. The Science of Desire. New York: Simon and
> Schuster, 1994.
>
> LeVay, Simon. The Sexual Brain. Cambridge: MIT Press, 1993.
>
> Matthews, John. "Supporting the Biological Link." ASU Research (1994): n.
> pag. Online. Internet. 4 November 1997.
>
> Wertz, Dorothy C. "Genetics and Homosexuality," The Gene Letter 1 (1996):
> n. pag. Online. Internet. 4 November 1997.
>
> http://www.apa.org/topics/orientation.html#choice
>
> http://www.psych.org/public_info/HOMOSE~1.HTM
>
> http://www.theatlantic.com/atlantic/issues/97jun/burr2.htm
>
> http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/facts_mental_health.html

Oh please, not all that again. I've already seen that list.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月19日 02:26:082006/10/19
wrote:

> http://www.theatlantic.com/atlantic/issues/97jun/burr2.htm

That URL doesn't work, incidentally.

Supreme Ayatollah of the Discordian Meme

未读,
2006年10月19日 02:49:022006/10/19
收件人
Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote in message
<qazfez-18A050....@lust.ihug.co.nz>...

> In article <op.thnf4dy05i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> The claim of "homosexuality is biologically determined." You seem to
>> have trouble arguing in anything but extremes.
>

> The point I'm making is that homosexuality is not biologically
> determined or determined any other way.

Current scientific thinking has a relationship between homosexual male
children and homosexuality-increased fertility in females, which is passed
down via the female line on the X chromosome. The only real problem with the
idea is that it ignores cultural and environmental influences on the
homosexual. In short, homosexuality may be caused by nature, or it may be
caused by nurture, or both.

> The problem is that you aren't making any sense.

That's because you're an idiot.

--
Supreme Ayatollah of the Discordian Meme (Furiae Plasmator) and
Ordained Priest of the Paratheo-anametamystikhood of Eris Esoteric.

HAIL ERIS! -><- KALLISTI -><- ALL HAIL DISCORDIA!

We are a tribe of philosophers, theologians, magicians, scientists,
artists, clowns, and similar maniacs who are intrigued with ERIS,
GODDESS OF CONFUSION, and with Her Doings.

Talis est drama humanus species: Primordia universum es fio victus
quod conscius, ergo cogitationis poenam sulum humanus; sapientia emo
procul valde carus.

The earth-centered model of the universe, developed by astronomer
Claudius Ptolemy in AD 200, is a fine example of intellectual
brilliance not being any kind of guarantee against being dead wrong.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月19日 03:01:502006/10/19
收件人
In article <45371fe3$0$47401$892e...@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,

<exsisto.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote in message
> <qazfez-18A050....@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
>
> > In article <op.thnf4dy05i5s70@chris>, Strife767 <stri...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> The claim of "homosexuality is biologically determined." You seem to
> >> have trouble arguing in anything but extremes.
> >
> > The point I'm making is that homosexuality is not biologically
> > determined or determined any other way.
>
> Current scientific thinking has a relationship between homosexual male
> children and homosexuality-increased fertility in females, which is passed
> down via the female line on the X chromosome.

That's speculative and implausible. Anyway, what do you mean "current
scientific thinking"? Are you implying that all scientists think that?
If not, just say that proponents of one particular theory think this.

>The only real problem with the
> idea is that it ignores cultural and environmental influences on the
> homosexual. In short, homosexuality may be caused by nature, or it may be
> caused by nurture, or both.

There's no good reason to think that homosexuality has any specific
cause or causes.

> > The problem is that you aren't making any sense.
>
> That's because you're an idiot.

No, i'm actually really smart.

Supreme Ayatollah of the Discordian Meme

未读,
2006年10月19日 03:20:082006/10/19
<qazfez-21D308....@lust.ihug.co.nz>...

> In article <45371fe3$0$47401$892e...@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,
> "Supreme Ayatollah of the Discordian Meme"
> <exsisto.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote in message
>> <qazfez-18A050....@lust.ihug.co.nz>...

>>> The point I'm making is that homosexuality is not biologically
>>> determined or determined any other way.
>>
>> Current scientific thinking has a relationship between homosexual
>> male children and homosexuality-increased fertility in females,
>> which is passed down via the female line on the X chromosome.
>
> That's speculative and implausible. Anyway, what do you mean "current
> scientific thinking"? Are you implying that all scientists think that?
> If not, just say that proponents of one particular theory think this.

I will say whatever I feel like saying in whatever way I choose to say it.

>> The only real problem with the
>> idea is that it ignores cultural and environmental influences on the
>> homosexual. In short, homosexuality may be caused by nature, or it
>> may be caused by nurture, or both.
>
> There's no good reason to think that homosexuality has any specific
> cause or causes.

Your illogic also excludes determination by simple act of personal choice.

>>> The problem is that you aren't making any sense.
>>
>> That's because you're an idiot.
>
> No, i'm actually really smart.

Are you really? Smart people do not dismiss forthright assertions with
"That's speculative and implausible"; they ask for citations and references.
You didn't ask for either so you're far from smart. You are an idiot.

Qazfez

未读,
2006年10月19日 03:27:062006/10/19
收件人
In article <4537272e$0$47412$892e...@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,

<exsisto.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote in message
> <qazfez-21D308....@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
>
> > In article <45371fe3$0$47401$892e...@auth.newsreader.octanews.com>,
> > "Supreme Ayatollah of the Discordian Meme"
> > <exsisto.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote in message
> >> <qazfez-18A050....@lust.ihug.co.nz>...

> >> Current scientific thinking has a relationship between homosexual
> >> male children and homosexuality-increased fertility in females,
> >> which is passed down via the female line on the X chromosome.
> >
> > That's speculative and implausible. Anyway, what do you mean "current
> > scientific thinking"? Are you implying that all scientists think that?
> > If not, just say that proponents of one particular theory think this.
>
> I will say whatever I feel like saying in whatever way I choose to say it.

OK. Go ahead. But what you said makes you look pretty foolish.

> >> The only real problem with the
> >> idea is that it ignores cultural and environmental influences on the
> >> homosexual. In short, homosexuality may be caused by nature, or it
> >> may be caused by nurture, or both.
> >
> > There's no good reason to think that homosexuality has any specific
> > cause or causes.
>
> Your illogic also excludes determination by simple act of personal choice.

That looks like a linguistic point. If it's a linguistic point, and you
think that's important, you might try expressing yourself a little more
clearly.

> >> That's because you're an idiot.
> >
> > No, i'm actually really smart.
>
> Are you really? Smart people do not dismiss forthright assertions with
> "That's speculative and implausible"; they ask for citations and references.
> You didn't ask for either so you're far from smart. You are an idiot.

Say, shouldn't you have provided some citations and references in the
first place, if you think so much of them, so then you wouldn't be in
the position of making statements without support? You are an idiot.

Supreme Ayatollah of the Discordian Meme

未读,
2006年10月19日 03:36:502006/10/19
收件人
Qazfez <qaz...@o.com> wrote in message
<qazfez-75E8FF....@lust.ihug.co.nz>...

Yet it was you who dismissed a forthright assertion with "That's
speculative and implausible" and failed to ask for citations and