Were ex-gays previously and actually gays ?

Kin...@iname.com

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
It makes no doubt that in the context of a right-wing society seeking
converts to heterosexuality,on top of all the adherents to hetro fiddling
it already possesses,we can no longer confine ourselves to a theoretical
and apolitical notion of gayness.

We must ask ourselves if those ex-gays were previously and effectively
gays.Because if they were not,we are not faced with converts to
heterosexuality.We are dealing with individuals who might have never
given any serious adhesion to same-sex love.Or who might have adhered to
it under such reservations that in their case homosexuality was essentially
devoid of social or political meaning.

The past record of ex-gays would certainly deserve to be thoroughly
documented,if only to know in which manure they originated.

The future being contained into the present,we should not be overly
surprised if many ex-gays of tomorrow were among the half-heteros of
today.

Cliff Hammond

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
Kin...@iname.com wrote:

> The past record of ex-gays would certainly deserve to be thoroughly
> documented,if only to know in which manure they originated.
>
> The future being contained into the present,we should not be overly
> surprised if many ex-gays of tomorrow were among the half-heteros of
> today.

I think you're on to something. I've been wondering if the "ex-gays" have been
assessed for mental disorder, particularly Borderline Personality Disorder.
This is serious pathology which can be exacerbated by sexual or physical abuse
or neglect at a very early age. One of the hallmarks of BPD which is a
disorder of the self (absence of any clearly defined sense of self) is sexually
acting-out and very often without regard for the sex of the partner. James
Masterson, one of the foremost experts on BPD, describes the disorder, as a
"devalued false self" presentation; that is, a false self is constructed as a
negative character role which is devalued (self-hatred) by him/herself and
others. What more appropriate pigeon for fundamentalist "salvation"?

A history of intense unstable relationships, acting-out, feelings of
abandonment, lack of a sense of self (beyond low self-esteem), history of
suicidal ideation and/or gestures and attempts, difficulty tolerating times of
being alone, clinging and enmeshment with partner in the relationship,
inability to delay gratification, often sets him/herself up to be victimized,
lability of mood, and uncontrolled rage are some of the features of this
personality disorder.

Remember that "gay" is considered an identity. An identity is exactly what
these poor souls lack, at least in any sense of the "true" self.

-- cliff

As a solid rock is not shaken by the wind,
so the wise are not shaken by blame and praise.
As a deep lake is clear and calm,
so the wise become tranquil after they listened to the truth.

--From the Dhammapada

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/cliffhammond/index.html
mailto:wycl...@swbell.net

x-no-archive: yes

Kin...@iname.com

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In article <35D7BB1B...@swbell.net>,

Cliff Hammond <ANTISPAMTR...@swbell.net> wrote:
> Kin...@iname.com wrote:
>
> > The past record of ex-gays would certainly deserve to be thoroughly
> > documented,if only to know in which manure they originated.
> >
> > The future being contained into the present,we should not be overly
> > surprised if many ex-gays of tomorrow were among the half-heteros of
> > today.
>
> I think you're on to something. I've been wondering if the "ex-gays" have
> been assessed for mental disorder, particularly Borderline Personality
> Disorder.

Could be a wide variety of factors,among those the one you`re mentionning.

It will be in any case impossible not to face and adress the problem posed
to us by the ex-gay movement,even if it draws only a few hundred or
thousand members.The impact of that movement in terms of anti-gay
propaganda could be out of proportion with its numbers.

The past history of ex-gays,especially their weakness of character,will
have to be studied.

We must also expect a certain number of ex-gays to be merely heterosexuals
claiming an homosexual past,which is plausible but does not prove that
they were gays.Most inmates in prison practice homosexuality but are not
gays,just to give you an example.

The Word of God

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
Kin...@iname.com wrote:

> We must also expect a certain number of ex-gays to be merely heterosexuals
> claiming an homosexual past,which is plausible but does not prove that
> they were gays.Most inmates in prison practice homosexuality but are not
> gays,just to give you an example.

Good Point. I wonder if there are any X-X-gays who would be willing to "stand
up and testify," like the two guys who founded Exodus x-gay ministries who fell
in love and eloped.

-- Cliff Hammond

As a solid rock is not shaken by the wind,
so the wise are not shaken by blame and praise.
As a deep lake is clear and calm,
so the wise become tranquil after they listened to the truth.

--Shakyamuni Buddha
From The Dhammapada