Bush Administration blasted for silence on nuclear threat.

Harry Hope

Mar 5, 2002, 11:19:41 AM3/5/02

From The New York Daily News, 3/5/02:
http://www.nydailynews.com/2002-03-05/News_and_Views/City_Beat/a-143409.asp

By DAVE SALTONSTALL
Daily News City Hall Bureau Chief

New York's top elected leaders -- plus former Mayor Rudy Giuliani --
unleashed a barrage of criticism yesterday at the Bush
administration's decision to withhold information about a suspected
nuclear attack on the city.

The doomsday threat, received by top federal officials in October, was
kept under wraps because of concerns it might panic an already
terror-ravaged city, Time magazine reported this week.

But state and city officials -- from Gov. Pataki to Mayor Bloomberg to
leaders in Congress -- criticized the information blackout yesterday
as a serious breach that underscored the need for better communication
among law enforcement agencies.

"That is a dereliction of duty on the part of whomever in the federal
government knew about this alleged threat," said Sen. Hillary Clinton
(D-N.Y.), visibly angry.

"And I am asking for -- demanding -- an explanation about this.

"I don't need to be told before the mayor and the police," she added.

"But for them not to be told is just incomprehensible to me."

Mayor Bloomberg said he thought "the New York City government should
have been told -- and it was not."

Strange. The Bushies won't inform New York government officials of
threats but they'll make all kinds of nationwide announcements and
vague warnings to the public. Figure that one out.

Harry