Clinton's remedial reading plan

Allan Best

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

If our government schools are so good at what they do and they should be
after spending 1/4 of a Trillion $ last year; right? Why then has Mr. Clinton
proposed spending 2-1/2 Billion $ and a host of volunteers to teach our kids
to read before they leave the third grade? What have I missed here? I've read
that some states spend as much as $6,000 per student per year to provide a
public education for our kids. These are tax dollars involuntarily taken from
our wages -- at least from those of us who earn a living -- to provide an
education for our kids; even when we don't have any kids.

I can only conclude that Mr. Clinton has admitted (or thinks) that the
government school system in this country is a failure. His response to this
very serious problem is typical, he does what's best for Bill Clinton and
not what's best for the people or for the country. What a fraud he is.

Bill

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

In article <50n2ie$b...@nonews.col.hp.com>, a...@col.hp.com says...

I agree..If you want to feel even worse about it, currently the state of
New York is averaging $12,000 per student in their public system, and
California $9,000... This equates to $360,000 per classroom of 30
students in New York. Compare that with the cost of private or parochial
education, and we could save money by paying for all the kids to go
private.

This entire boondoggle is merely Clinton's way to say "gracias" to the
teachers unions, under the guise of doing something great for the kids
(after all, it isn't politically correct to criticize the children in the
Village). We now add an extra layer of paid staff to an already bloated
system ... the union members do less work, the parents will continue to
not be held accountable for their offspring, and the government gets
another whopping program.... So why isn't everybody happy? Guess some of
us paying the bills are just ingrates...:(

Bill
It appears that Dick Morris decided to hitch a ride with Ted Kennedy
across the bridge to the future.

Magnanr

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

But you missed the important point--The NY Times (AKA Pravda on the
Hudson) reports that there are about 50,000 students in NYC schools who
don't have classrooms.

Per Clintonian logic, thats 50,000 X $12,000, or $600,000,000 (SIX HUNDRED
MILLION) that we SAVED since its $360,000 per classroom, and the kids dont
have classrooms!!!

Next, I'll explain the numbers behind the success of the Brady Bill.