Gore's Clear, Concise Declarations Of Intent

cracked_...@my-deja.com

Aug 18, 2000, 2:44:31 AM8/18/00
Gore made Dumbya's 'speech' look like a used car salesman's pitch

Gore cites prosperity, outlines agenda for working families

Democratic convention closes shop on sustained, exuberant note

By Ian Christopher McCaleb and Matt
Smith/CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/08/18/convention.wrap/index
.html
LOS ANGELES (CNN) --
Vice President Al Gore accepted the Democratic Party's 2000
presidential nomination Thursday night by avoiding outright attacks
against his Republican rival in favor of concise declarations of intent
on issues varying from health care to campaign finance reform.

In his straightforward, 51-minute acceptance address-interrupted
numerous times by thunderous cheers and the raucous sound
of feet stomping on the floor of the Staples Center sports complex-the
vice president sought to step out of President Clinton's long shadow by
declaring himself an independent thinker.

"I'm here to talk seriously about the issues," Gore said. "I believe
people deserve to know specifically what a candidate proposes to do. I
intend to tell you tonight. You ought to be able to know, and then
judge for yourself."

Gore wielded a heavy rhetorical sword Thursday night and struck out to
slay some of the dragons that have harassed him in the election year:
his ability to lead; his connections to the president; and his
willingness to stand on principled ground.

"We're entering a new time, we're electing a new president, and I stand
here tonight as my own man. I want you to know me for who I truly am."

Building upon introductory efforts mounted throughout the four-day
Democratic National Convention by numerous friends and family members,
Gore spun a tapestry of family lore coupled with an agenda intended to
"better the lives of working families"-an agenda he said would actively
avoid skating though bountiful economic times.

The complex, carefully crafted address was aimed at both the Democratic
faithful in the convention hall, whose affectionate reception brought
tears to Gore's eyes as he entered the delegate seating area en route
to the podium, as well as at the hundreds of thousands of undecided
voters who could hold the key to his election, or a victory by GOP
nominee George W. Bush.

The separation

In the first minutes of his speech, Gore credited Clinton's two terms
in office for planting the seeds of the nation's record economic
prosperity and the creation of 22 million new jobs, saying "millions of
Americans will live better lives for a long time to come because of the
job that's been done by President Bill Clinton."

That was the first and last time the charismatic president's name would
be invoked on the stage by Gore.

Rather, he insisted that Clinton leaves office with much work left to
be done, and he and running mate Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman are
determined to get all of that work done in the course of the next few
years.

"For all of our good times, I am not satisfied," Gore declared.
"How and what we do for all of you-the people who pay the taxes, bear
the burdens, and live the American dream-that is the standard by which
we should be judged," he said.

The better part of Gore and Lieberman's fight as a new administration,
Gore insisted Thursday night, would be predicated on what he framed as
a classic battle between the "people and the powerful." Special
interests, Gore said, stand in the way of universal health care, fair
wages and a return of the Democratic process to the people of the
United States.

"Big tobacco, big oil, the big polluters, the pharmaceutical companies,
the (health maintenance organizations). Sometimes you have to be
willing to stand up and say no-so families can have a better life," he
said.

The Democrats' new nominee called repeatedly for the addition of a
prescription drug benefit to the federal Medicare health insurance
program; the implementation of a fair universal health care system;
more police on the streets and a reduction in crime rates; the creation
of a "crime victims' bill of rights; and getting cigarettes away from
minors.

He dwelled for a handful minutes on the passage of a medical patients'
bill of rights, which would allow individuals to sue their health
maintenance organizations in instances when needed medical treatment is
denied.

Such a bill has fallen into a quagmire in Congress this year, as vast
differences between competing House and Senate versions have likely
spelled its doom.

"...Bean-counters at HMOs don't have a license to practice medicine and
don't have a right to play God," he said.

He also sought to turn aside criticism leveled two weeks ago by Bush
and his running mate, former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney, who savaged
the Clinton administration's defense record, saying military
build-downs have brought American levels of readiness to perilously low
levels and destroyed the morale of the nation's service members.

National security will be enhanced, he added, by strengthening
America's military alliances, bolstering nuclear non-proliferation
efforts, and broadening free trade arrangements.

"I will keep America's defenses strong. I will make sure our armed
forces continue to be the best-equipped, best-trained, and best-led in
the entire world," he pledged.

The extent of the attack

Gore's response to Bush and Cheney on the issue of military readiness
characterized the level to which he was willing to hit back at the
strident criticisms aired in Philadelphia two weeks ago.

Gore mentioned neither Bush nor Cheney by name, and steered well away
from direct attacks against the Republicans, choosing instead to paint
broad pictures of policy differences between the parties that could not
only apply to the GOP presidential ticket, but to the Republican
Congress.

He pledged to preserve a woman's right to choose to obtain an abortion,
saying, "The last thing this country needs is a Supreme Court that
overturns Roe v. Wade."

And he centered on sharp philosophical differences on tax policy,
saying he would prefer targeted tax cuts to the blanket, five-year,
$483 billion plan advanced by the Texas governor.

"I will not go along with a huge tax cut for the wealthy at the expense
of everyone else and wreck our good economy in the process," he said.
"Under the tax plan the other side has proposed, for every $10 that
goes to the wealthiest 1 percent, middle class families would get one
dime. And lower-income families would get one penny."

The Bush campaign operation, which remained relatively silent during
the duration of the Democratic gathering, responded within just a few
short minutes of Gore's closing lines.

Bush spokeswoman Karen Hughes framed Gore's address as a blueprint for
new vision of big government, and turned many of his proposals on their
ear by pointing out that many of them had been floating around
Washington for some time.

"Without intending to ... he offered a laundry list of the policy
failures of his own administration: From failing to prescribe
prescription drug coverage for seniors, to failing to enact a patient's
bill of rights, to failing to improve public schools," Hughes said in a
statement.

A rebirth for Gore?

Gore's closing sentiments struck a particular chord with delegates. The
president doesn't necessarily have to be telegenic and charismatic-two
words that are not often applied to the vice president-he has to have
the willingness, experience and ability to lead.

"The presidency is more than a popularity contest. It's a day-by-day
fight for people. Sometimes, you have to choose to do what's difficult
or unpopular," he said.

"I think the key lines are that 'I'm my own man' and that the
presidency is not a photo op," said New Jersey delegate Sandra Silber.
"He doesn't have to be a rock star."

"I know where Al Gore is now. I really know where he is," said Bill
English, a Minnesota delegate from Minneapolis. "You don't have to
guess what he's going to do. I didn't hear that out of Philadelphia."

Monica reappears

Thursday was not without its difficulties here in Los Angeles.
As the convention was gaveled to order earlier in the day, news swept
the delegate floor in front of the event's main podium that the office
administered by Independent Counsel Robert Ray in Washington had, some
time within the last month, convened a new grand jury to further
investigate President Clinton's actions involving former White House
intern Monica Lewinsky, with whom he had a well-documented
relationship.

Clinton was accused by former Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr of
obstructing justice by attempting to cover up his relationship with
Lewinsky as the Paula Jones sexual harassment lawsuit ran its course.

A report issued by Starr to the House Judiciary Committee led to an
impeachment vote in the House, and Clinton's eventual acquittal during
a subsequent Senate trial.

Rep. Jerrold Nadler of New York sat on the House Judiciary Committee
during the lengthy hearings on the Starr report, and voted against
impeachment in committee and on the House floor. He was visibly
agitated on the convention floor Thursday, saying the day's revelations
were "disgusting."

"The timing is highly suspect," Nadler said. "Starr investigated this.
There is no evidence of anything new, and Starr decided that there is
nothing to indict."

"...And it leaks today in the middle of the Democratic national
Convention?" an exasperated Nadler said.

Gore ignored the development in his speech, and many delegates regarded
the news as indication that Republicans would continue to campaign
against Gore based on Clinton's moral missteps.

Some of those closest to the vice president voiced defiance, and
expressed hope that the GOP would battle Gore into November using such
a strategy.

"Bill Clinton's not running," said delegate Betty Fraley, from Gore's
home state of Tennessee. "Do they not realize that? He's already beat
them three times," she said, referring to 1992, 1996, and the 1998
midterm elections, "And he'd probably beat them again if he ran."

"So let them keep running against Bill Clinton," she said.
Such a strategy on the part of the GOP, others said, was emblematic of
the Republican ways of the past, and a continuation of the Democrats'
vision of the future.

As Ohio delegate Erin Sullivan said as she took a drag from her
cigarette, "It's just like learning to drive. If you want to go
forward, you put it in D. If you want to go backward, you put it in R."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

cracked_...@my-deja.com

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00
And here of course, is the pitiful three-paragraph 'response' from the
used-car salesman's camp :

Bush campaign rips Gore's speech
August 18, 2000
http://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/08/18/bush.reax/index.html
Web posted at: 12:29 a.m. EDT (0429 GMT)
AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) -- Republican George W. Bush's presidential
campaign wasted little time on Thursday night weighing in on Al Gore's
acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles,
saying it was replete with "more cliches than convictions."
Karen Hughes, communications director for the Bush campaign,
released the following statement:

"The working families of America will not be
well-served by more fighting in Washington.
Yet Vice President Gore tonight offered more of the same old language
of class warfare, partisanship and division.

"Without intending to, he also offered a laundry list of the policy
failures of his own administration-from failing to provide prescription

drug coverage for seniors, to failing to enact a patient's bill of

rights, to failing to improve public schools, to failing to eliminate
the marriage penalty in the tax code.

"Despite his promises, he offered few specific policy details and
instead went through a laundry list that had more clichis than
convictions. Tonight's speech underscores the need for Americans to
elect a president who is a strong leader with a vision to unite our
party and work with Republicans and Democrats for the best interests of
working families."

PlanoTxGuy20

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00
I didnt notice anything, but a bunch of sizzle and no steak.

Bush touched on the topics, while Gore thanked Clinton or 15 min!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am a Ticket Head Listener... 1310 Am The Ticket. Http://www.TheTicket.com
Ticket# 13105263501 Favorite Ticket Head Show: Musers in the Morning 5:30am
to 10:00 pm on your am dial!

cracked_...@my-deja.com

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00
In article <20000818031351...@ng-bd1.news.cs.com>,

planot...@cs.comHRSports (PlanoTxGuy20) wrote:
> I didnt notice anything, but a bunch of sizzle and no steak.
>
> Bush touched on the topics, while Gore thanked Clinton or 15 min!
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gore mentioned Clinton once, lasting about two sentences.

All Bush did was continue the campaign AGAINST Bill Clinton, the most
successful, highest average job-approval rated president in US history,
who is retiring soon..

And Mr. Bush gave *NO* specifics on *ANY* issue.

Please at least watch the presentation next time ~~~

C_S

Lupe

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00
Are you quoting the same CNN whose viewership is down by about
66% in the last couple of years,thanks to Peter Arnett and other
"unbiased" journalists?

cracked_...@my-deja.com

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00
In article <399D3A59...@isp.com>,

Lupe <nos...@isp.com> wrote:
> Are you quoting the same CNN whose viewership is down by about
> 66% in the last couple of years,thanks to Peter Arnett and other
> "unbiased" journalists?

Well then, who may you suggest is 'un-biased'?
Rush? Drudge? NEWSMAX? Lucianne Goldberg?

LOL.

C_S