Asking for Tips??

Radder7643

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Tonight, when I got to work, the GM was really hot. I asked him what was
wrong, and he said he would tell me later, after he finished what he was doing.
He turned to the driver standing next to him and said, "Take this back to the
people, then go home, and report back tomorrow for work."

He then took me back to the office (I am a GM-in-training) and showed me a
write-up on the above mentioned driver. Evidently, when the driver got to the
door of one of our better customers (who had never to my knowledge stiffed a
driver) he quoted the price as $14.95 PLUS TIP (emphasis is customer's). The
customer did in fact tip as the check was already made out to include it, but
when the customer paid the driver, the driver didn't so much as say "Thanks,"
but instead turned around and got in his car and came back to the store. While
the driver was on his way back, the customer called and spoke with the GM and
told him that they would never order from us again. The GM listened and and
then promised to reprimand the driver, and gave the customer a coupon for a
free large pizza. The driver is on probation, and will be terminated with one
more offense.....

Before anyone jumps to a conclusion, both the customer and the driver gave
identical stories......
"Radster"
------------------------------
Remove "edy.net" from E-mail address to E-Mail me........

The Radical One

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99

Radder7643 <radde...@aol.comedy.net> wrote in message

> He then took me back to the office (I am a GM-in-training) and showed me a
> write-up on the above mentioned driver. Evidently, when the driver got to
the
> door of one of our better customers (who had never to my knowledge stiffed
> driver) he quoted the price as $14.95 PLUS TIP (emphasis is customer's).
The
> customer did in fact tip as the check was already made out to include it,
but
> when the customer paid the driver, the driver didn't so much as say
"Thanks,"
> but instead turned around and got in his car and came back to the store.
While
> the driver was on his way back, the customer called and spoke with the GM
and
> told him that they would never order from us again. The GM listened and
and
> then promised to reprimand the driver, and gave the customer a coupon for
> free large pizza. The driver is on probation, and will be terminated with
one
> more offense.....
>
> Before anyone jumps to a conclusion, both the customer and the driver gave
> identical stories......

As an owner, I would much rather a driver say something like "$14.95 plus
tip" or "Sir/Ma'am, I have your pizza here and it's XX.XX and that doesn't
include a tip". It's either that, or who knows...how about "Where's my tip,
ingrate?" or "Cheap son-of-a (walking back to car just loud enough for the
ass hole to hear)". I don't see nothing wrong with saying what the driver
said.

Then again, it was a good customer that never stiffs, so I can see how it
pissed them off. Was the driver new and did not know the customer tipped
all the time? Kinda of a location/personality call, but I would not have
had a problem with it if the driver was courteous.

ShadowStarÅ

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
>As an owner, I would much rather a driver say something like "$14.95 plus
>tip" or "Sir/Ma'am, I have your pizza here and it's XX.XX and that doesn't
>include a tip". It's either that, or who knows...how about "Where's my
tip,
>ingrate?" or "Cheap son-of-a (walking back to car just loud enough for the
>ass hole to hear)". I don't see nothing wrong with saying what the driver
>said.

It's a matter of decorum, more than anything else. Now, as much as I
understand how tips are a vital part of the driver's income, I need to point
out that a tip is a privilege, not a right. The customer is not obligated to
give a tip, but most decent people understand that it's proper etiquette to
tip somone who provides a PERSONAL service to them.

The issue I take with the "Ten bucks PLUS TIP" angle is that when I sit down
for a meal in a restaurant the waitress never once mentions a tip. I simply
know that it's proper to leave one and I leave one regardless of how good or
bad the service is. If the service is bad, the tip is a straight 15% and I
inform the manager about the level of the service we received. If the
service is good, I leave 20%. Never once have I seen a guest check with the
amount listed "plus tip." Sure there's that line on credit card receipts
where you can add a gratuity, but it's not your OBLIGATION to add it. That
line is there simply for your convenience.

The same principle holds true in a delivery situation. I know that tipping
is the decent thing to do so I do it. The "plus tip" line exhibits very
poor taste and it conveys a rather low opinion of the customer. If you get
the tip, great. If not, well... try to avoid the slip the next time they
call. If I was the customer and I had always tipped in the past, I'd
consider it a slap in the face to get the "plus tip" line.

As a matter of fact, talking about this brings back a memory: the only time
I didn't tip a pizza guy was one time in college when I got hit with that
line. I said, "Plus tip, huh? Okay. Here's the $10.70 for the pies..." I
had exact change for the pizza and 2 bucks for the tip. I then very
conspicuously tucked the $2 back in my pocket and said, "and here's your
tip: the next time you deliver to me, don't anticipate that I'm just another
dorm-dwelling scumbag. Any one of your co-workers will tell you that I tip
and probably tip better than the average student around here. That line was
un-called for and I recommend that you drop it from your script." Amazingly
he apologized (considering how smug he was with the tip line) but explained
that this particular dorm was notoriously tight-fisted. When I called the
following week he showed up with a smile, quoted me the price without the
line and again he got exact change and 2 crisp $1 bills... it was as if the
last encounter never happened and his service from that point on was
stellar. A couple weeks after that he came into the dorm (I didn't order
that time) and when he saw me he told me he was actually getting more tips
and BETTER tips from those who actually had tipped in the past since he
dropped that line.

StiffMeNot

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
I don't see a problem with the "plus tip" line if it was said after a pause in
speech. If the driver said it immediately, it makes it appear that the tip is
required. Of course you never say it to a good tipper. That driver must be
new or stupid. What are your thoughts about saying "plus tip" to a well-known
stiffer? I've never used it, but almost did on several occasions.
--------------
In case any extraterrestrials are reading this, I'm the leader. Everyone on
Earth has to obey me.

StiffMeNot
============
The artist formerly known as IHate...@aol.com
(AOL thought the screen name was offensive)

The Radical One

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

ShadowStarÅ  <NOwide_eyed...@vh.net> wrote in message

> >As an owner, I would much rather a driver say something like "$14.95 plus
> >tip" or "Sir/Ma'am, I have your pizza here and it's XX.XX and that
doesn't
> >include a tip". It's either that, or who knows...how about "Where's my
> tip,
> >ingrate?" or "Cheap son-of-a (walking back to car just loud enough for
the
> >ass hole to hear)". I don't see nothing wrong with saying what the
driver
> >said.
>

> It's a matter of decorum, more than anything else. Now, as much as I
> understand how tips are a vital part of the driver's income, I need to
point
> out that a tip is a privilege, not a right. The customer is not obligated
> give a tip, but most decent people understand that it's proper etiquette
> tip somone who provides a PERSONAL service to them.

True, but a lot of times a driver busts ass to get the pie to the address on
time, fresh and hot and still gets stiffed. Some people actually believe
that a Tip is a provence in China. Others genuinely appreciate the work a
driver does.

> The issue I take with the "Ten bucks PLUS TIP" angle is that when I sit
down
> for a meal in a restaurant the waitress never once mentions a tip. I
simply
> know that it's proper to leave one and I leave one regardless of how good
or
> bad the service is. If the service is bad, the tip is a straight 15% and I
> inform the manager about the level of the service we received. If the
> service is good, I leave 20%. Never once have I seen a guest check with
the
> amount listed "plus tip." Sure there's that line on credit card receipts
> where you can add a gratuity, but it's not your OBLIGATION to add it. That
> line is there simply for your convenience.

Well, how about the old 15% gratuity added for parties of XXX or more that
is on must menus? I personaly don't care how many people are in my party.
If the service sucked, I don't tip at all. If the service was excellent, I
may tip higher than 15% which screws over the server.

> The same principle holds true in a delivery situation. I know that tipping
> is the decent thing to do so I do it. The "plus tip" line exhibits very
> poor taste and it conveys a rather low opinion of the customer. If you
get
> the tip, great. If not, well... try to avoid the slip the next time they
> call. If I was the customer and I had always tipped in the past, I'd
> consider it a slap in the face to get the "plus tip" line.

It exhibits poor taste if you use it on someone that has never stiffed. To
use it on a stiffer is different. It's kinda like telling you kid or friend
to zip up his/her zipper. It would be better to tell them in private, but
sometimes you just gotta tell them in public even though it's in poor taste.

> As a matter of fact, talking about this brings back a memory: {snipped}

My memory...My wife and I were eating at a Thi restaurant in New Orleans.
The service was terrible, waiter had 3 day old stains on the apron, you had
to ask 4 or 5 time to get a water refill, the food was cold, the manager was
consulted nicely but the service got worse after speaking with him. So the
bill comes, and dinner for 2 was $110.00 not including the tip. I paid with
a credit card and put "NONE" in the tip line on the receipt. So the waiter
(the manager's son I found out) just shrugs and starts picking up plates as
we are leaving. He cleans off the table and when he figures out there is no
cash tip he gets pissed. Comes up to me yelling about "YOU GOTTA GIVE ME
THE TIP YOU AMERICAN". So I politely tell him that tip is zero because the
service was absolutely the worst, and that I've had better service at a
truck stop. I turn to leave (the restaurant is loaded with people) and the
waiter grabs me to turn me around yelling "GIVE ME TIP! GIVE ME TIP".

So, I tipped him...with a right hook that put him into the soup course of
the nearest table. The cops came, the manager wanted me arrested for
hitting his son, I wanted the FBI called and the manager arrested for
extortion and the waited arrested by NOPD for simple battery. The manager
started talking shit with his kid again to the cops, making up shit. So I
proceed to start asking the rudest questions, real loud. Like "Hey, didn't
I see a story about this place in the paper not to long ago? Something
about Health Department problems or something?" and "I thought the SPCA
said there was a stray dog problem in this neighborhood! I don't see any
dogs. Wonder where they all went!?!" The manager got the hint and he told
the cops not to worry about it. In the meantime something like 4 couples
left midway into their dinner.

I only stiff when necessary but when I tip, I usually do it to an extreme
(gave a lady a $5 tip for a $12 haircut) because I know what it's like to
deal with the public and stiffers.

ShadowStarÅ

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
>What are your thoughts about saying "plus tip" to a well-known
>stiffer? I've never used it, but almost did on several occasions.

It doesn't matter...refer to my response to The Radical One.

Bottom line: It's said in poor taste to anyone, but it's an insult to the
good customer and it stirs up the hornet's nest when said to a lousy
customer. The worst customers are usually the loudest complainers and the
absolute worst part of it is that managemet has an OBLIGATION to side with
the idiot customer... unless your name is Mackey in which case you just lay
down a whole load of smack on his deadbeat ass! :-)

ShadowStarÅ

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
>True, but a lot of times a driver busts ass to get the pie to the address
on
>time, fresh and hot and still gets stiffed. Some people actually believe
>that a Tip is a provence in China. Others genuinely appreciate the work a
>driver does.

And as much as it sucks, you learn to take the good with the bad. Be
cordial to the ones who stiff and be sincerely thankful to the ones who do
and go the extra mile to keep them happy.

>> The issue I take with the "Ten bucks PLUS TIP" angle is that when I sit
>down
>> for a meal in a restaurant the waitress never once mentions a tip. I
>simply
>> know that it's proper to leave one and I leave one regardless of how good
>or
>> bad the service is. If the service is bad, the tip is a straight 15% and
>> inform the manager about the level of the service we received. If the
>> service is good, I leave 20%. Never once have I seen a guest check with
>the
>> amount listed "plus tip." Sure there's that line on credit card receipts
>> where you can add a gratuity, but it's not your OBLIGATION to add it.
That
>> line is there simply for your convenience.
>>

>Well, how about the old 15% gratuity added for parties of XXX or more that
>is on must menus? I personaly don't care how many people are in my party.
>If the service sucked, I don't tip at all. If the service was excellent, I
>may tip higher than 15% which screws over the server.

I never eat at joints that write the tip into the check. It gives the
waitress and the rest of the staff license to be bitchy and uncordial and
they usually are. The service is almost ALWAYS sub-standard, which leads me
to believe that's why the policy was invoked in the first place.

>It exhibits poor taste if you use it on someone that has never stiffed. To
>use it on a stiffer is different. It's kinda like telling you kid or
friend
>to zip up his/her zipper. It would be better to tell them in private, but
>sometimes you just gotta tell them in public even though it's in poor
taste.

And then YOU lose face...not the customer. That idiot will go on with his
pathetic life unchanged and un-scarred by consequence. You, OTOH, have to
deal with the scorn of that idiot when he ultimately complains about YOU
becuase HE was an idiot. See how that works? It's never better to put
someone in his place who has the power to exact revenge on you. You only
serve to hurt yourself, make yourself look bad and give the idiot a few more
stupidity cells to plant deep in the unutilized grey matter.

>> As a matter of fact, talking about this brings back a memory: {snipped}
>
>My memory...My wife and I were eating at a Thi restaurant in New Orleans.
>The service was terrible, waiter had 3 day old stains on the apron, you had
>to ask 4 or 5 time to get a water refill, the food was cold, the manager
was
>consulted nicely but the service got worse after speaking with him. So the
>bill comes, and dinner for 2 was $110.00 not including the tip. I paid
with
>a credit card and put "NONE" in the tip line on the receipt. So the waiter
>(the manager's son I found out) just shrugs and starts picking up plates as
>we are leaving. He cleans off the table and when he figures out there is
no
>cash tip he gets pissed. Comes up to me yelling about "YOU GOTTA GIVE ME
>THE TIP YOU AMERICAN". So I politely tell him that tip is zero because
the
>service was absolutely the worst, and that I've had better service at a
>truck stop. I turn to leave (the restaurant is loaded with people) and the
>waiter grabs me to turn me around yelling "GIVE ME TIP! GIVE ME TIP".

So tell me, what makes that any different than "Ten bucks plus tip"? It was
a little more obnoxious, okay...a LOT more.... but it conveys the exact same
sentiment. I DESERVE THIS SO YOU BETTER GIVE IT TO ME!

>So, I tipped him...with a right hook that put him into the soup course of
>the nearest table.

I can't hold to this platform forever, I guess... if I were you I would have
done the same thing. There. I said it.

The cops came, the manager wanted me arrested for
>hitting his son, I wanted the FBI called and the manager arrested for
>extortion and the waited arrested by NOPD for simple battery. The manager
>started talking shit with his kid again to the cops, making up shit. So I
>proceed to start asking the rudest questions, real loud. Like "Hey, didn't
>I see a story about this place in the paper not to long ago? Something
>about Health Department problems or something?" and "I thought the SPCA
>said there was a stray dog problem in this neighborhood! I don't see any
>dogs. Wonder where they all went!?!" The manager got the hint and he told
>the cops not to worry about it. In the meantime something like 4 couples
>left midway into their dinner.

A wisecracking body-slammer... are you from the WWF, perchance?

>I only stiff when necessary but when I tip, I usually do it to an extreme
>(gave a lady a $5 tip for a $12 haircut) because I know what it's like to
>deal with the public and stiffers.

Good policy... I'm not *quite* that extreme because I'm a working class guy
myself, but when I indulge myself and my wife in a meal out or
something...anything that involves someone else doing something that's not
altogether pleasurable for them (like having to deal with me as the last
table of the night when her feet are aching and her face is sore from
holding the smile) so that I can have a good time I feel it's always
important to express my appreciation. I can't soothe the aching feet, but I
can add that 5%.

Jim Mackey

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article <7hg58i$1e...@enews4.newsguy.com>,
NOwide_eyed...@vh.net, otherwise known as ShadowStar©, came out
of the closet with...

> The worst customers are usually the loudest complainers and the
> absolute worst part of it is that managemet has an OBLIGATION to side with
> the idiot customer... unless your name is Mackey in which case you just lay
> down a whole load of smack on his deadbeat ass! :-)

Chiming in with a scammer story...

I only had one driver tonight - the other called in sick. It was slow
enough that I didn't have to help him out, but busy enough for him to be
constantly hurried.

At one point he returned to the store and told me he'd taken a check from
a customer that didn't match the delivery address, which is a big no-no.
He was in a rush, and didn't look at the check until he was on his way
back to the car. He went back and told the customer he couldn't take the
check; the customer basically told him to piss off.

As it turns out, I was the first person this customer talked to when he
placed his order. When I inquired how he planned to pay, he said check;
I explained our policy, and he said he wasn't sure, so he'd call back.
When he called back, someone else took the call, and the customer lied,
saying the check matched the delivery address.

So, of course, I called up the customer to tell him we'd need to return
his check and collect cash:

IC: "I don't see what the problem is. I live four houses down from here,
and I order from you 3 or 4 times a week."

Me: "That's irrelevant. Our policy states that the address preprinted on
the check *must* match the delivery address."

IC: "What's your problem? I order from you all the time! I can't see
why you're making a big deal out of this."

Me: "Okay, what's your phone number from where you usually order?"

IC: "xxx-xxxx."

I looked it up on the computer, and sure enough! This guy has ordered
from us 9 times in the last 3 months.

Me: "I'm sorry, but you've only ordered from us a few times before this.
We're just gonna have to collect cash."

IC: "Well, the pizza's already gone, so I don't think you can do anything
about it."

Me: "In that case, all I can say is don't bother calling here again, as
I'm going to block both of these accounts from delivery."

The IC then went on to give me some speech about how *I'm* the one losing
out in this deal.

Me: "Whatever..." *Yawn*

IC: *click*

--
Jim Mackey, GM, Ex-PTE
San Jose, CA

The Radical One

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99

> And as much as it sucks, you learn to take the good with the bad. Be
> cordial to the ones who stiff and be sincerely thankful to the ones who do
> and go the extra mile to keep them happy.

I learned that you take the good with the bad early in life. I also learned
that you can stretch it with most rude people. They know what they are
doing is wrong and impolite (most of them anyway). They should be expecting
what they get.

> I never eat at joints that write the tip into the check. It gives the
> waitress and the rest of the staff license to be bitchy and uncordial and
> they usually are. The service is almost ALWAYS sub-standard, which leads
me
> to believe that's why the policy was invoked in the first place.

Same thoughts here. I just don't go with large groups to restaurants that
do that. i will go with a small group, but not a large one.

> And then YOU lose face...not the customer. That idiot will go on with his
> pathetic life unchanged and un-scarred by consequence. You, OTOH, have to
> deal with the scorn of that idiot when he ultimately complains about YOU
> becuase HE was an idiot. See how that works? It's never better to put
> someone in his place who has the power to exact revenge on you. You only
> serve to hurt yourself, make yourself look bad and give the idiot a few
more
> stupidity cells to plant deep in the unutilized grey matter.

I gotta take exception on that one. You are starting to sound like my wife.
it's the old "Don't stoop to their level." The way I see it, some people
you gotta stoop down to if you're gonna get them to understand. And if they
refuse to understand, smack em around a little (verbaly, not physicaly). So
long as you can rise back to your original level afterwards. Deal with him
because he complains about me? Don't think so. That's the reason why I
don't provide freebies for charity anymore. They can get a discount, but no
more freebies.

Case in point...Last year the Head Start requested stuff for fundraisers. I
told them I would give them free pizzas to sell for profit. They said fine
and that they would call me when they needed them. They forgot to call, so
3 weeks or so later the woman that rund Head Start calls and tells me and my
wife that she wants the free pizzas for her after school party. No kids
were at the party, it was a private function at her house and sounded more
like a family reunion. I refused and it pissed her off. They no longer do
business with me (didn't do that much except beg for free shit anyway).
This Thursday (yesterday) there is a huge Dominoes sign on the
building...call them and go pickup your pizza, tell them you want the Head
Start special and the pizza is at regular price but 20% goes to Head Start.
Think I'm worried? I guess not. I pulled another $5.00 special with no
advertising. This time it was on a 12" pizza with unlimited toppings for
$5.00. from talking with my contacts at Big D, there were no orders for the
Head Start yesterday, and absolutely no orders from my area (usually we
loose 2 orders or so a night to Big D). I guess I was a big meanie because
I fucked up the Head Start's fund raiser. Good for me. Learn to support
your local business and local business will support you!

> So tell me, what makes that any different than "Ten bucks plus tip"? It
was
> a little more obnoxious, okay...a LOT more.... but it conveys the exact
same
> sentiment. I DESERVE THIS SO YOU BETTER GIVE IT TO ME!

The delivery dude simply stated (wrongly in this case) $XX.XX plus tip.
This wacko was chasing me in the restaurant and making a big scene. I can
understand the $XX.XX plust tip if you are saying it to a stiffer, and I can
understand stiffing if the driver/waiter is rude, really late or something
else. I think there is a big difference.

> I can't hold to this platform forever, I guess... if I were you I would
have
> done the same thing. There. I said it.

Don't hold things against your will. :-)

> A wisecracking body-slammer... are you from the WWF, perchance?

I didn't body slam him (I could have, little turd that he was) I punched him
in the jaw. No, no WWF. I rather the real stuff. That underground,
illegal shit like the ultimate fight or whatever you call it. "Let's get it
on!!" :-)

> Good policy... I'm not *quite* that extreme because I'm a working class
guy
> myself, but when I indulge myself and my wife in a meal out or
> something...anything that involves someone else doing something that's not
> altogether pleasurable for them (like having to deal with me as the last
> table of the night when her feet are aching and her face is sore from
> holding the smile) so that I can have a good time I feel it's always
> important to express my appreciation. I can't soothe the aching feet, but
> can add that 5%.

I'm working class. I just don't have that much time to go out is all. So
when I do, I kinda like to help out where I can. I big tip on my part might
make up for a stiffer's bad deed and turn a bad day into a good one.

Memory...I once went to this same woman to get my hair cut. A cute little
old lady was having a hard time deciding what to do with her hair. She saw
me kinda pacing and looking at her like "Hurry up old bitch". She proceeded
to get out of the chair and tell me "Young man, you look like you are in a
hurry. You go a head and I'll just wait." I was so shocked by this woman's
decency and genuine good nature that after my hair was cut and paid for, I
shocked myself....Me.."Do you know what she wants?" Stylist.."Yah, she
tries to decided on something but gets the same thing." Me..."OK, put it on
my credit card. But don't tell her my name or anything. Just tell her the
young man appreciated her kindness." The stylist almost dropped. She
couldn't believe it! And no, they did not charge her (I know the manager
and called her when I left to verify that they did not charge the old lady.)

The Radical One

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99

> >What are your thoughts about saying "plus tip" to a well-known
> >stiffer? I've never used it, but almost did on several occasions.
>
> It doesn't matter...refer to my response to The Radical One.
>
> Bottom line: It's said in poor taste to anyone, but it's an insult to the
> good customer and it stirs up the hornet's nest when said to a lousy
> customer. The worst customers are usually the loudest complainers and the

> absolute worst part of it is that managemet has an OBLIGATION to side with
> the idiot customer... unless your name is Mackey in which case you just
lay
> down a whole load of smack on his deadbeat ass! :-)

Include me in that group with Mackey! I don't take shit from any customers.
I have good customer that I will treat a little more openly, but it seems
like everyone is trying to screw you now a days. Of course, what do you
expect when a first time customer comes back in the shop, throws the pizza
on the counter and announces to everyone in the place "THERE'S A PUSSY HAIR
IN MY PIZZA!" What do you expect? Thank you ma'am, I'll make you another?
Nope! "That's not a PUSSY hair, that a string of cheese, BITCH! Now get
the hell out!" Guess I'm just kinda jaded.

yankee17

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article <7hg58i$1e...@enews4.newsguy.com>,

"ShadowStarÅ " <NOwide_eyed...@vh.net> wrote:
> >What are your thoughts about saying "plus tip" to a well-known
> >stiffer? I've never used it, but almost did on several occasions.
>
> It doesn't matter...refer to my response to The Radical One.
>
> Bottom line: It's said in poor taste to anyone, but it's an insult to
the
> good customer and it stirs up the hornet's nest when said to a lousy
> customer. The worst customers are usually the loudest complainers and
the
> absolute worst part of it is that managemet has an OBLIGATION to side
with
> the idiot customer... unless your name is Mackey in which case you
just lay
> down a whole load of smack on his deadbeat ass! :-)

When I was a driver we had a great line at the door to the non-tipper.
"Was there something wrong with the service?". The customer replies
"no" or "?k%$". I then follow up with, "I notice that there was no
gratuity, and when that happens I want to make sure that bad service is
not the reason." Perfect. Sometimes the stiffer didn't know any
better, sometimes the stiffer is sufficiently embarrassed enough to
cough up their dear pennies, and sometimes they get pissed off enough to
not order again (Victory for the driver, of course). But they can't
call the manager, because what are they going to say "I want to
complain! Why? The driver asked me how the service was!!!!"

I have a great college story. I went to this dorm for like the 10th
time that night, and you guessed it, no tip. The tight-assed customer
said, "how's your night" or something like that, and I said, "You know,
it would be better but I've been to this dorm like 10 times and about 7
times I've been stiffed, like now" In front of a lobby full of
students, who then started giggling at him. He called the manager to
complain, and the manager basically laughed at him. (College students
don't have the self-control to not order pizza).

--
Check out my Yankees cards home page!
Listing over 15,000 Yankees cards!

JOHN HULL

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
I agree it's pretty bad form to say "plus tip". We had a driver who got
around this though. If he didn't get a tip, he would tell the customer:
" You may not know it, but I make my living on tips. When you don't tip
me, you're telling me my efforts don't matter to you". (or something to
that effect) He told me, and I said he could get fired for that.
Wouldn't you know, I looked at his tip sheet, and he had mostly three
and four dollar tips. I don't think I ever saw anything under two
dollars. Nobody ever called to complain either. I considered the same
tactic myself, but I would probably get one of our "mystery customers"
or one of the owners cousins who live in the area. I came back from a
run once and told the guys I delivered to a real bunch of a@@holes. The
owner was in the office and heard me. He came out with his shorts in a
twist and said to me :
"Swearing in the customer area John?"
(there were no customers) So I told him I was just talking about these
bozos I delivered to, and he said; "like YOUR relatives John?" Ooops!

John

The Radical One

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99

Bob Ward <bob...@gte.net> being full of fucking quips, wrote...
> On Fri, 14 May 1999 11:57:42 -0500, "The Radical One"
> <Gator...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>

> Is ESP really that common in Louisiana? I don't understand how a
> "$5.00 special with no advertising." is going to take away any
> business except your own. If it's not advertised, how do your
> competitor's customers know to order it? If people are already
> calling you to order a pizza, why would you want to give away the
> store to teach HeadStart a lesson?

No, Bob, ESp is not that common. I did no TV, radio or telephone
advertising. The only thing I did was put it on the "talker" sign outside
the shop (large, iluminated sign with the flashing arrow on top where you
can change letters). People read the sign because it changes at least 3
times a week to advertise specials and the like. People know that sometimes
I get a hair up my ass and do something wild to get the excitement going
again. After the $5.00 "Dominoes ass whipping special", my sales were up
50% for the next 3 weeks. Do something wild around here and for some reason
the people keep coming in even after the special is over. The same thing
goes for an unannounced closing. If sales are slow, all I gotta do is stay
home 1 or 2 days. When I reopen, the nosy people come out of the woodwork.
They come in, order, and then try to get in my business "What ya closed
for?" or "Family problems? Did someone get sick? Is everybody OK?". I
have no idea why, but it works like that. My sales for the next week or two
will double or go 2 1/2 times the previous week.

As far as the competition, I have none. Yah, I loose 2 orders a day to Big
D, so what? Those two orders are probably from the customers I fired for
being ass holes or for canceling an order. Head Start had a banner with the
Big D logo that was about 12 feet wide by 12 feet tall. "Call Dominoes and
mention Head Start and we will get 20% of your order. Call XXX-XXXX today!"
Do business with a local company and you won't get burned. Mafia mentality?
Sure!!! Why not? Business is business. Ya want to do a fund raiser, why
not do it with a company that the people know and who's product the people
like? Any small town resident will tell you that people protect their own.
Sometimes people think a big huge corporation will bring in more money in
the form of fund raisers, than the little guy. Sometimes that's true, but
not in this case.

You also have to understand that I have provided discounted or no cost
products for the Head Start program for about 3-4 years now. So when THEY
make a mistake (not calling me for the pizza) and then try to screw me (get
the "free pizzas" for a private function not involving Head Start), I'm
supposed to fold? What, I guess it's my fault that THEY fucked up and
forgot to call me (per our agreement). The way they see it, it's is my
fault. Don't think so. So if I do something to disrupt their fundraiser,
so be it.

Pat

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
Radder7643 wrote:

<snip story about driver saying "plus tip">

> Before anyone jumps to a conclusion, both the customer and the driver
> gave
> identical stories......

Oh I believe it. I have seen drivers say stuff like "How much change
you want?" after not even saying hello, and then not even saying thank
you! What kills me is that it seems to work! Everytime I witness this
barbarism, the driver gets about $3.

I remember a driver who got fired on the spot for crossing the line with
a customer, but it was a bit more soliciting tips. He was talking to a
kid, and said something about a tip, and the mom in the other room said
something. The driver responded "Shut up, I ain't talkin' to YOU,
bitch!" The customer called with some concern about that, and the
driver verified the story word for word!

Pat

Chemist

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99

> Is ESP really that common in Louisiana? I don't understand how a

Yes Bob, Louisiana is in fact the psychic vortex of the whole fucking
universe! Is this something new to you?

Jacob

The Radical One

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99

Bob Ward <bob...@gte.net> wrote in message

> Oh, I see... I thought when you said you did no advertising, I
> foolishly thought you meant you did no advertising. I didn't realize
> that placing it on a sign board did not constitute advertising in
> Louisiana.

Yah right! If you think one of those little arrow signs would be considered
advertisement, well, I feel for you.

Usually, when someone says advertisement, I think of TV, Radio, newspaper,
bulk mailers, road side/interstate billboards, etc. Kinda like mass
advertisement. If this is the advertisement you spoke of, the answer is no.
If you encompas putting flyers on cars at the Piggly Wiggly (I don't do that
cause I hate it myself) or posting something on the dry-rease board or arrow
sign as advertisement, then I guess I did advertise it.

The Radical One

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99

> On 15 May 1999 12:09:09 PDT, Pat <bee...@concentric.net> wrote:
>

> >The driver responded "Shut up, I ain't talkin' to YOU,
> >bitch!" The customer called with some concern about that, and the
> >driver verified the story word for word!

Sounds a little extreme, even for The Radical One's taste. Can't agree with
that one.

> That driver sounds about as smart as the purse snatcher mentioned in
> AFU the other day. When the cops caught him and took him back to the
> scene of the crime for a positive ID, he got out of the car, pointed
> to the victim, and said "That's her, officer - that's the woman I
> stole the purse from!"

Sounds about right. Hear about the guys that wanted a pizza delivered (on
the news a few days ago)? Two guys have a pizza delivered, driver can't
find the house and call via cellular. Perps meet him at a location and rob
him of food and cash. Driver gets back to the store, the perps had given a
GOOD deliver address! Cops go over and bust them, eating pizza while
counting money.

opti...@vbe.com

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
In article <7hhkst$qg6$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>,

"The Radical One" <Gator...@prodigy.net> wrote:
Of course, what do
you
> expect when a first time customer comes back in the shop, throws the
pizza
> on the counter and announces to everyone in the place "THERE'S A PUSSY
HAIR
> IN MY PIZZA!" What do you expect? Thank you ma'am, I'll make you
another?
> Nope! "That's not a PUSSY hair, that a string of cheese, BITCH! Now
get
> the hell out!" Guess I'm just kinda jaded.

Hair complaining people piss me off because not all the people cutting
the pizzas pay attention to that shit. And people are so fucking
stupid. There's a simple test to see if it's hair or not. Pick it up!
If it breaks apart, it was a string of burnt cheese. Besides, how
often do you SEE hair in your food? Don't you usually find it after it
ends up in your mouth? Do people think all restaurant employees have
black, immensely wide strands of hair?
--
Tim

opti...@vbe.com

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
In article <7hhtn1$ln6$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
yankee17 <yank...@my-dejanews.com> wrote:

>(College students don't have the self-control to not order pizza).

And they leave at the end of the year too.

BetRTimes

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
>Subject: Re: Asking for Tips??
>From: bob...@gte.net (Bob Ward)

dammed AOL...

killfiles just work off and on..

some idiot named BOB WARD, after ingesting too much leftover Easter Candy, got
a hold of a chocolate rabbit that made him shit out the following:

> I didn't realize
>that placing it on a sign board did not constitute advertising in
>Louisiana.

Bob....

there are a LOT of things you DON'T understand...

Louisiana is a state altogether different than whereever you are from... THANK
GOD..

Mark Hoffman
--
join onelist.com, and then come chat with my group at THE_LIONS_ROAR

#51 on the TOP 100 most active lists for May 1, 1999

BetRTimes

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
>Subject: Re: Asking for Tips??
>From: bob...@gte.net (Bob Ward)

>was it just the fact that you got so excited when you saw my name
>that you had an uncontrollable urge to post nonsense?

No.....

Actually,,, when I see your name,,, I get the uncontrollable urge to READ
nonsense

I can always count on you to come through

The Radical One

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99

> Mark, for someone who went out of his way to tell me in two different
> newsgroups, you seem to be having a hard time holding yourself to it.
> What is it that I've done that upsets you to this degree? At least
> when Chris and I tangle, it's usually because one of us has directed a
> comment to the other - but you seem to be more of a little lap dog,
> prone to bark and bark for no reason at all.
>
> You should seriously consider therapy... holding on to whatever it is
> that upset you can't be good for your mental state.

The Radical One responds to this and another post from Ward...

I certainly am proud of you Bob. I think you supprised all of us by being
able to quote the Dictionary. But, as is the case with many things in life,
the Dictionary only sets a GENERAL guideline. To prove the point, show me
any dictionary that defines "Bitch" as a word that is taken as a COMPLIMENT
by some women. Call my wife a bitch and she says thank you. I'm sure some
of the female posters in this NG will tell you the same thing.

Like I said in my last post to you...I did not do MASS ADVERTISING. I do
not consider putting some words on a 6' X 4' iluminated sign advertising.
In your opinion, it might be considered advertising. In my opinion it is
not.

As far as the lap dog that's prone to bark for no reason...lap dogs are
sometimes the most vicious when you really start to pisss them off. It
might just sit htere and bark, but I bet you'll think twice before going any
further. Prehaps the lap dog can smell someone that's not quite all there
or just "knows" things about people. Just a thought :-)

Chemist

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
BetRTimes wrote:

> Bob....
>
> there are a LOT of things you DON'T understand...
>
> Louisiana is a state altogether different than whereever you are from... THANK
> GOD..
>
> Mark Hoffman
> --

Yes it is! A very interesting place to live, unlike a lot of other areas
of the country.

Chemist

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
Snippity snip.....from Chris's response to Bob (correct attributions used!)

> Like I said in my last post to you...I did not do MASS ADVERTISING. I do
> not consider putting some words on a 6' X 4' iluminated sign advertising.
> In your opinion, it might be considered advertising. In my opinion it is
> not.

Bob,

The town where Chris is located is basically a strip surrounded by water.
There is one road that everyone has to go down, this is where Chris is
located.
So his illuminated roadside sign effectively reaches everyone that he
delivers
to. So in his case advertising is defined differently if you want to take
it
as such. And yes, Louisiana is still the psychic vortex of the whole
fucking
universe! I'm thinking about petitioning that as our new state logo? Who
needs those pesky pelicans!

jacob

Jim Mackey

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
In article <374f8925....@news.gte.net>, bob...@gte.net, otherwise
known as Bob Ward, came out of the closet with...

> You should seriously consider therapy... holding on to whatever it is
> that upset you can't be good for your mental state.

Hmmm... a while back, you, I and some other guy were Mark's "Big Three
Hated." He doesn't seem to have a problem with me anymore, but he's
still pissed at you. So what did I do to deserve this? Where did I go
wrong?

:)

Jim Mackey

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
In article <7ho83d$1lea$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>,
Gator...@prodigy.net, otherwise known as The Radical One, came out of
the closet with...

> Bob Ward <bob...@gte.net> wrote in message
>
> > At least
> > when Chris and I tangle, it's usually because one of us has directed a
> > comment to the other - but you seem to be more of a little lap dog,
> > prone to bark and bark for no reason at all.
>
> The Radical One responds to this and another post from Ward...
>
> As far as the lap dog that's prone to bark for no reason...lap dogs are
> sometimes the most vicious when you really start to pisss them off. It
> might just sit htere and bark, but I bet you'll think twice before going any
> further. Prehaps the lap dog can smell someone that's not quite all there
> or just "knows" things about people. Just a thought :-)

Chris, you don't know Mark. Bob is right about this one. Mark *is* the
"little lap dog;" he barks and barks because he has an inferiority
complex. But as soon as a "big dog" makes a threatening gesture towards
him, Mark runs away with his tail between his legs - yipping all the way.

The Radical One

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99

> So you are taking the position that words only mean what YOU want them
> to mean, and there is no need for a dictionary?

When speaking of MY service area and MY business, yes. IE..the same way
people think that tapes are due back by 10Pm on their watch. 10PM is kinda
like saying normal. What is exactly 10PM? When I say 10PM it's by my
computer's time (updated to the Nuke Clock in Denver).

> If you will reread my message, you will see that I made no mention of
> mass advertising - just pointed out that an UNadvertised special would
> only cannibalize your own sales, because the customers who aren't
> calling you to order aren't aware of it. There's NO WAY that you can
> take business away from the competition without making the special
> known to the public.

You seem to like technical things, Bob. Or at least you try to be
technical. True, in the city, an unadvertised special would be more for
current customers, not for the people you are trying to attract. That's not
a good way to increase sales.

But, like I said, in this small community, there is no need for advertising
as *I* take it (mass). Put the special on the board for a night or two and
people call about it for a week after you take it down. During our infamous
$5.00 special on the 14" unlimiteds, all we did was put it on the board on
Monday and Tuesday. People were holding on till Friday to take advantage of
it. On the other hand, look at the TRUE advertising the national chains are
doing. Papa with the anniversary sale and TV ads. Dominoes with the huge
banners that stay up for weeks at a time at individual stores. THAT is what
I call advertising in my part of town. If you don't like that my idea
doesn't fit you dictionary's definition, so be it.

JOHN HULL

Lurker Below

May 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/20/99
On Mon, 17 May 1999 16:59:11 -0500, "The Radical One"
<Gator...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Bob Ward <bob...@gte.net> wrote in message

>> So you are taking the position that words only mean what YOU want them
>> to mean, and there is no need for a dictionary?

>When speaking of MY service area and MY business, yes. IE..the same way
>people think that tapes are due back by 10Pm on their watch. 10PM is kinda
>like saying normal. What is exactly 10PM? When I say 10PM it's by my
>computer's time (updated to the Nuke Clock in Denver).

Oh? Which program do you use to set this? I use 'Atomtime 1.4',
myself.

>> If you will reread my message, you will see that I made no mention of
>> mass advertising - just pointed out that an UNadvertised special would
>> only cannibalize your own sales, because the customers who aren't
>> calling you to order aren't aware of it. There's NO WAY that you can
>> take business away from the competition without making the special
>> known to the public.

>You seem to like technical things, Bob. Or at least you try to be
>technical.

<snort>

Bob is only 'technical' when the mood strikes him. He was awfully
quick with the dictionary for a guy who can't admit, even when
_confronted with hard evidence_, that SBC offers ADSL with a 384K
minimum guarantee, despite whatever it is that GTE offers in Wausau.
--
"The trick is to stop thinking it is `your' money."
- IRS auditor

Lurker Below

May 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/20/99
On 15 May 1999 12:09:09 PDT, Pat <bee...@concentric.net> wrote:

>Radder7643 wrote:

><snip story about driver saying "plus tip">

>> Before anyone jumps to a conclusion, both the customer and the driver
>> gave identical stories......

>Oh I believe it. I have seen drivers say stuff like "How much change

>you want?" after not even saying hello, and then not even saying thank
>you! What kills me is that it seems to work! Everytime I witness this
>barbarism, the driver gets about $3.

'Barbarism'?!? Geez...seems a bit much for the 'offense'. I frequently
don't say hello (although I don't ask how much change they want) and I
don't generally thank them - I _do_ invite them to 'Enjoy their meal'
as I get ready to turn and leave, but I'm providing _them_ a service
and they are telling me how much they like/value that service by their
tip. The average 'at the door' experience for me runs - 1) Ring
doorbell/Knock on door 2) Present food to customer 3) Inform customer
of cost 4) Make change. I generally average between $2 and $2.50 per
address on a nightly basis.

I've had people get all bent out of shape when I did the small talk
thing and I've had fewer get bent out of shape by my sparsity of
words. It seems to waste less time, for them and for me.
--
"If you don't accept that, go crawl back under your rock,
you cantankerous troglodyte."

StiffMeNot

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
John wrote: [...]

>So I told him I was just talking about these
>bozos I delivered to, and he said; "like YOUR relatives John?"

Reply, "Well, they didn't tip, so they are bozos (or insert stronger word
here). Tell them they're supposed to tip. There's no excuse for this."

Tonight, I got stiffed by the husband of a waitress. She used to work in my
store. I can't understand how he would not know about tipping.

--------------
In case any extraterrestrials are reading this, I'm the leader. Everyone on
Earth has to obey me.

StiffMeNot
============
The artist formerly known as IHate...@aol.com
(AOL thought the screen name was offensive)

Chemist

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
> run once and told the guys I delivered to a real bunch of a@@holes.
Fell free to write 'assholes, dipshits... or whatever other of the dirty
words you can't say on TV' here!'

The
> owner was in the office and heard me. He came out with his shorts in a
> twist and said to me :
> "Swearing in the customer area John?"

> (there were no customers) So I told him I was just talking about these

> bozos I delivered to, and he said; "like YOUR relatives John?"

> Ooops!
> John

You should come to our store and witness the carnage there. I'm sure you
would be shocked. Swearing in the customer area? Oh my....snigger..

Lurker Below

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
On Fri, 21 May 1999 06:53:19 GMT, bob...@gte.net (Bob Ward) wrote:

>On Thu, 20 May 1999 16:10:13 GMT, lur...@below.com (Lurker Below)
>wrote:

>>Bob is only 'technical' when the mood strikes him. He was awfully
>>quick with the dictionary for a guy who can't admit, even when
>>_confronted with hard evidence_, that SBC offers ADSL with a 384K
>>minimum guarantee, despite whatever it is that GTE offers in Wausau.

>You sure like to carry a grudge, don't you?

No, I just remember when people are idiots. It helps me deal with them
properly later on.

>As I said then, >I< have
>a hard time believing that they can or will back up this guarantee - I
>wasn't suggesting (had no intention of suggesting, at least) that you
>should share my belief.

>I've moved on to other thoughts, other subjects since then... perhaps
>it's time that you should, as well.

Moving on doesn't mean that one forgets, Bob, especially when past
behavior is generally so instructive as to what future behavior will
be.

HTH
HAND
--
"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your
intelligence."

Lurker Below

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
On Fri, 21 May 1999 18:09:05 GMT, bob...@gte.net (Bob Ward) wrote:

>On Fri, 21 May 1999 15:36:40 GMT, lur...@below.com (Lurker Below)
>wrote:

>>>As I said then, >I< have

>>>a hard time believing that they can or will back up this guarantee - I
>>>wasn't suggesting (had no intention of suggesting, at least) that you
>>>should share my belief.

>>>I've moved on to other thoughts, other subjects since then... perhaps
>>>it's time that you should, as well.

>>Moving on doesn't mean that one forgets, Bob, especially when past
>>behavior is generally so instructive as to what future behavior will
>>be.

>Looks like we agree here...

You wish...

>I posted something that I had a personal
>opinion about, and you came unglued and ranted and raved for a month,

YM I posted facts about it, facts that you refused to accept.

>and STILL can't accept the fact that my opinion differed from yours.

Considering that I didn't _give_ an opinion, that I just posted SBC's
factual material which blew your 'opinion' out of the water, you're
out to lunch, Bob.

It's pretty telling that you can't separate facts and evidence from
opinions there, Bob. That probably explains the reaction you had. I
suggest you learn the difference quickly - it may straighten out your
inability to interact well with others.

>It's pretty obvious that we can continue to expect such irrational
>behavior from you in the future.

<snort>

YM it's obvious that we can expect 'Bob Ward' to ignore proven facts
and try and blame others for this failing of his.

HTH
HAND
--
"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument."
- William G. McAdoo

Steve Horvath

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Assuming the $14.95 included the tip, the driver would have no business making
the statement made below. If however the driver was itemizing the bill, that
may be a different story. Perhaps the driver meant the food was $14.95 plus
the tip for a total of whatever. As for not saying thanks, well that's kind of
trite if I may say so. A bit rude, but how was the driver treated? Also, does
the driver have a history of being rude? How does the driver interact with
co-workers? Look at the person overall. Is the driver a good performer who
isn't easily replaced? If the driver really is beyond hope that's one thing,
but try working the interpersonal side first.

: ------------------------------
: Remove "edy.net" from E-mail address to E-Mail me........

--
___ _
/ // _/_

Range

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
In article <7j364v$5si$1...@gail.ripco.com>, chgo...@ripco.com says...

>Assuming the $14.95 included the tip, the driver would have no business
making
>the statement made below. If however the driver was itemizing the bill, that
>may be a different story. Perhaps the driver meant the food was $14.95 plus
>the tip for a total of whatever. As for not saying thanks, well that's kind
of
>trite if I may say so. A bit rude, but how was the driver treated? Also, does
>the driver have a history of being rude? How does the driver interact with
>co-workers? Look at the person overall. Is the driver a good performer who
>isn't easily replaced? If the driver really is beyond hope that's one thing,
>but try working the interpersonal side first.

Reminds me of what finally got one of our real losers fired. He took a
delivery for something like $11.97. The customer gave him a $20, and he
turned around and started to walk back to the car. Customer yells "Hey,
where's my change!?" so the driver goes back up and hands them $7 (instead of
$8) and then stands there. Customer asks "What are you waiting for?" Driver
replies "My tip."

Needless to say, that was his last day.

dgr...@cs.csubak.edu

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Steve Horvath <chgo...@ripco.com> wrote:

> Radder7643 (radde...@aol.comedy.net) wrote:

> : Tonight, when I got to work, the GM was really hot. I asked him what was
> : wrong, and he said he would tell me later, after he finished what he was doing.
> : He turned to the driver standing next to him and said, "Take this back to the
> : people, then go home, and report back tomorrow for work."

> : He then took me back to the office (I am a GM-in-training) and showed me a
> : write-up on the above mentioned driver. Evidently, when the driver got to the
> : door of one of our better customers (who had never to my knowledge stiffed a
> : driver) he quoted the price as $14.95 PLUS TIP (emphasis is customer's). The
> : customer did in fact tip as the check was already made out to include it, but
> : when the customer paid the driver, the driver didn't so much as say "Thanks,"
> : but instead turned around and got in his car and came back to the store. While
> : the driver was on his way back, the customer called and spoke with the GM and
> : told him that they would never order from us again. The GM listened and and
> : then promised to reprimand the driver, and gave the customer a coupon for a
> : free large pizza. The driver is on probation, and will be terminated with one
> : more offense.....
>

> Assuming the $14.95 included the tip, the driver would have no business making
> the statement made below. If however the driver was itemizing the bill, that
> may be a different story. Perhaps the driver meant the food was $14.95 plus
> the tip for a total of whatever. As for not saying thanks, well that's kind of
> trite if I may say so. A bit rude, but how was the driver treated? Also, does
> the driver have a history of being rude? How does the driver interact with
> co-workers? Look at the person overall. Is the driver a good performer who
> isn't easily replaced? If the driver really is beyond hope that's one thing,
> but try working the interpersonal side first.

Responding primarily to Radder7643 because AOL is his post is propogating
slowly...

People who are that tactless piss me off to no end. A few months ago, I
had a run going to a motel which would be paid by credit card. Unusual
for us, but not unheard of and is something to be expected of travelers.
When I got to the motel room, the exchange went something like this:

Me: Good evening. The total is 20.36 and it looks like you'll be paying
with a credit card.

Customer: <confused> Yeah. Uh, the girl on the phone asked me if I wanted
to add a tip to the credit card.

[It's clear on the order slip and credit ticket that no tip was added to
the credit card.]

Me: <thinking> Oh, shit. There goes my tip. Time to chew out the rookie
phone girl.

[Customer fiddles some ones out of his wallet. I am slightly relieved.]

Me: <aloud> Uhm. Yes, if you wish, you can do that. Just between you and
me, that phone girl really wasn't supposed to do that. It scares people,
you know... I thank you very much for the extra, sir.

I got back to the store and discovered that it was a rookie __ASSISTANT__
__MANAGER__ who did this amazingly stupid thing that could have easily
left me with a pissed off residential customer that I would have had the
sole pleasure of dealing with in person. Radder, I think you know who I'm
talking about here. Justifying myself with seniority, I proceeded to chew
this AM out about how important it is not not do things that are very
likely to piss off customers and that I, as the one who delivers the
goods, must deal with them. Her sole defense was that she was managing at
the time and she can do whatever she feels like doing. <shoom!> <over the
head> She disappeared a couple months later. I don't know if she quit or
was transferred.

--
David Griffith Keeper of the
dgr...@cs.csubak.edu alt.pizza.delivery.drivers FAQ

DOGJUDGE

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Range wrote:

> Reminds me of what finally got one of our real losers fired. He took a
> delivery for something like $11.97. The customer gave him a $20, and he
> turned around and started to walk back to the car. Customer yells "Hey,
> where's my change!?" so the driver goes back up and hands them $7 (instead of
> $8) and then stands there. Customer asks "What are you waiting for?" Driver
> replies "My tip."
>
> Needless to say, that was his last day.

Now thats just stupid, rude and totally lacking in class....When I am
in that situation, I do this: If the order is, say, $11.65 and they give
me a 20, I hand them a five and 3 singles. Not all singles since this
will easily drain my single supply since 99 times out of 100 on an order
that price they wont tip more than 3$ anyways...anyways, I hand them the
change and then wait for them to make a move. 2$ or more gets my nice
personable 'thanks a lot, you have a great day/night', 1$ gets a
somewhat cold 'have a good day/night' and a stiff gets nothing....I just
turn around and leave without a word....Now naturally every delivery is
different so this doesnt happen exactly as I told it every time, but it
comes close.

Jon Hartman

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
Boy, do you ever need an attitude change. Its the customer thats doing you a
service, by providing you with a job. Know what would happen if your store
suddenly wasn't there? The world wouldn't end, PEOPLE WOULD GO SOMEWHERE
ELSE.

If you want to know how much your "service" would be missed, put your finger
in a glass of water, take it out, and tell me how big of a hole you left.

Lurker Below wrote:

> On 15 May 1999 12:09:09 PDT, Pat <bee...@concentric.net> wrote:
>
> >Radder7643 wrote:
>
> ><snip story about driver saying "plus tip">
>

> >> Before anyone jumps to a conclusion, both the customer and the driver
> >> gave identical stories......

Bleech_

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:56:12 GMT, Jon Hartman <ca...@cyberspace.org>
spewed forth:

>Boy, do you ever need an attitude change. Its the customer thats doing you a
>service, by providing you with a job.

Sorry, my boss's accountant (the lady who prints and signs my checks)
won't even eat here anymore. So I guess you're wrong.
MEMBER, FLAT EARTH SOCIETY | http://bleechworld.cjb.net
To e-mail me, nevermind the BOLLOCKS | FERRIGNO IN '00

"When no one was looking, Alex squeezed the teddy bear!"

Floyd Code : v1.2a r TW 0/0/ FD 0- 0 Animals 17 86 13.7% <5jun99>

Randy Vice

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
On Wed 16-Jun-1999 12:56p, ca...@cyberspace.org wrote:
c> Boy, do you ever need an attitude change. Its the customer thats doing you
c> a
c> service, by providing you with a job. Know what would happen if your store
c> suddenly wasn't there? The world wouldn't end, PEOPLE WOULD GO SOMEWHERE
c> ELSE.

c> If you want to know how much your "service" would be missed, put your
c> finger
c> in a glass of water, take it out, and tell me how big of a hole you left.

No, the problem is once this industry becomes unpopular for people to work
because of lousy tips, your going to see a cascade effect of problems cropping
up. Can't get drivers? Pizzas are late. Pizzas are late, lousy tips. Lousy
tips, drivers (who by in large are getting screwed by their employeer and
stick around for tips) quit. Even more lates since there is a drastic
shortage of drivers, customers begin to call other stores, but they too have
driver shortages. Pizza shops close up leaving only a few and the remaining
pizza shops don't care how their pizzas look/taste nor delivery times since
they are the only ones left and have the customer by the balls. In the end,
customer gets screwed.

: damo...@nostromo.gate.net : Bruce Morrow,a man before and after his time:
:"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the :
:United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." :
: - Samuel Adams : Morrow Project Recon - The Expendable Ones :

Lurker Below

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
wrote:

>Boy, do you ever need an attitude change. Its the customer thats doing you a

>service, by providing you with a job.

You need to go back and look at your dictionary.

>Know what would happen if your store suddenly wasn't there? The world wouldn't
>end, PEOPLE WOULD GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Which has exactly _zero_ to do with whether or not I'm providing a
service.

>If you want to know how much your "service" would be missed, put your finger

>in a glass of water, take it out, and tell me how big of a hole you left.

Actually, given the dominance of this franchise in this market, it
would be considerable under the terms you define.

In any case, if pizza places suddenly quit providing the service of
delivery, I bet the impact would be greater than you think. Would life
go on? Yes it would. But people get used to and attached to their
conveniences.

>Lurker Below wrote:

>> On 15 May 1999 12:09:09 PDT, Pat <bee...@concentric.net> wrote:

>> >Radder7643 wrote:

>> ><snip story about driver saying "plus tip">

>> >Oh I believe it. I have seen drivers say stuff like "How much change
>> >you want?" after not even saying hello, and then not even saying thank
>> >you! What kills me is that it seems to work! Everytime I witness this
>> >barbarism, the driver gets about $3.

>> 'Barbarism'?!? Geez...seems a bit much for the 'offense'. I frequently
>> don't say hello (although I don't ask how much change they want) and I
>> don't generally thank them - I _do_ invite them to 'Enjoy their meal'
>> as I get ready to turn and leave, but I'm providing _them_ a service
>> and they are telling me how much they like/value that service by their
>> tip. The average 'at the door' experience for me runs - 1) Ring
>> doorbell/Knock on door 2) Present food to customer 3) Inform customer
>> of cost 4) Make change. I generally average between $2 and $2.50 per
>> address on a nightly basis.

>> I've had people get all bent out of shape when I did the small talk
>> thing and I've had fewer get bent out of shape by my sparsity of
>> words. It seems to waste less time, for them and for me.

Overall, it is not 'barbarism'.
--
"When you're old and grey you will remember what they said,
Two girls are too many, three's crowd and four you're dead."

Joseph L. Hart

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
Jon Hartman wrote:

> Boy, do you ever need an attitude change. Its the customer thats doing you a

> service, by providing you with a job. Know what would happen if your store

> suddenly wasn't there? The world wouldn't end, PEOPLE WOULD GO SOMEWHERE
> ELSE.
>

> If you want to know how much your "service" would be missed, put your finger
> in a glass of water, take it out, and tell me how big of a hole you left.

.....this one isn't even worth a response, folks.....everybody just move
along.....nothing to see here.....

joe

Jim Mackey

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
In article <3767B974...@cyberspace.org>, ca...@cyberspace.org,
otherwise known as Jon Hartman, came out of the closet with...

> Boy, do you ever need an attitude change. Its the customer thats doing you a
> service, by providing you with a job.

Here we go again... it's another "customer" who thinks he's always right.
*Chuckle*

> Know what would happen if your store suddenly wasn't there?

You wouldn't get your pizza?

> The world wouldn't end, PEOPLE WOULD GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

And get worse service than they got from me. And so on, and so on... the
"world" of pizza delivery would come to an end.

> If you want to know how much your "service" would be missed, put your finger
> in a glass of water, take it out, and tell me how big of a hole you left.

Seriously, don't bother trying to prove some point to *us*. If you're
happy with shitty service, that's your choice. By all means, keep
stiffing. It makes little difference to us - we'll just keep making sure
you wait a good long time for a cold pizza, while we service the *good*
customers.

Oh, since you're new here, I suppose I should point out that I'm a
general manager, not a driver - which means calling me to complain
about "poor service" would get you nowhere.

Don Ertman

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99

Jim Mackey wrote:

> In article <3767B974...@cyberspace.org>, ca...@cyberspace.org,
> otherwise known as Jon Hartman, came out of the closet with...

[snip troll's drooling rant and Jim's come backs]

> > If you want to know how much your "service" would be missed, put your finger
> > in a glass of water, take it out, and tell me how big of a hole you left.
>
> Seriously, don't bother trying to prove some point to *us*. If you're
> happy with shitty service, that's your choice. By all means, keep
> stiffing. It makes little difference to us - we'll just keep making sure
> you wait a good long time for a cold pizza, while we service the *good*
> customers.
>
> Oh, since you're new here, I suppose I should point out that I'm a
> general manager, not a driver - which means calling me to complain
> about "poor service" would get you nowhere.
>
> --
> Jim Mackey, GM, Ex-PTE
> San Jose, CA

God, don't you love those morons who think the world revolves around them.

You'd think they were the only ones in the world that orders food and that if they
stop the world just might end.

I love being "just" a driver now and being able to flip the occasional customer a
little attitude and coming back to the store to hear the story told to my GM (who
I worked for as a GM, she was my DM), it is priceless, and of course it gives the
opportunity to post on apdd.

--
Don Ertman
Ex-GM, PTE

Steve Doherty

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99

> And if you want to know how much YOU, as a non-tipping customer, would
> be missed, stick your finger up your ass, then pull it out and stick
> it in your mouth, because that's the only food you deserve to have
> delivered.

Nice comeback.

Steve Doherty
Menace to society
----
"Fist held high in the land of hypocrisy"
- Rage against the Machine

Jim Mackey

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
In article <3769204B...@olywa.net>, ert...@olywa.net, otherwise
known as Don Ertman, came out of the closet with...

> God, don't you love those morons who think the world revolves around them.
>
> You'd think they were the only ones in the world that orders food and that if they
> stop the world just might end.

I arrived at work on Tuesday after five days off, and read about a funny
scenario in my "managers' book."

Last Saturday, the new shift manager worked day shift, and delivery went
ballistic for some reason. Since I normally run only one driver on
weekend days, delivery time quickly rose to one hour plus.

Apparently a "customer" agreed to this delivery time, then called after
45 minutes, all heated, demanding to know where his pizza was. The SM
explained that the pizza was on its way, and still within the quoted
time; the "customer" would have none of the that. He told her my store
is run by "dickhead employees," and demanded a free pizza. Not sure what
to do, the SM said she could send him a free pizza, but it would *still*
take an hour or more to get there. The "customer" canceled the order,
and promised the SM that he would be in touch with me on Tuesday (when
the SM said I would be back). It's Friday now, and I'm still awaiting
that call...

At the bottom of the page was the tag from the order. I instantly
recognized the address - I remember it well from my driving days. This
is a guy who runs a tune-up shop downtown here. He always pays by
company check, but he never has it prepared; he makes the driver stand
around for ten minutes while he writes the check - always for the exact
amount, of course.

Before I saw the delivery tag, my attitude about this story was "this guy
isn't making a strong case for himself..." After I saw the tag, my
attitude changed to "fuck this asshole."

I decided to make this story the point of my weekly management meeting on
Wednesday. I went over the following points on how to deal with irate
customers, for the new shift manager's benefit, and as a "reminder" for
the more experienced managers:

1) It's best to bring this kind of situation to me. Even if I don't know
the recent (since I gave up driving) stiffers/assholes, I'm pretty good
at sniffing them out.

2) If a customer agrees to a delivery time, then calls to complain before
that time is up, he/she has no right to ask for a discount or freebie.

3) If a customer uses foul language, his credibility is instantly shot,
and he is no longer a customer. If a customer starts cussing, I just
hang up the phone. "Customers" who cuss and scream have no leg to stand
on when it comes to "filing a complaint."

Chris Young

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99

Jon Hartman <ca...@cyberspace.org> wrote in message

> Boy, do you ever need an attitude change. Its the customer thats doing you
> service, by providing you with a job. Know what would happen if your store
> suddenly wasn't there? The world wouldn't end, PEOPLE WOULD GO SOMEWHERE
> ELSE.
>

> If you want to know how much your "service" would be missed, put your
finger
> in a glass of water, take it out, and tell me how big of a hole you left.

I'm guessing you got you food late last night or maybe he got there while
you were at an important point on your new Playstation game. Either way you
seem to have an attitude problem too. Do us all a favor and either pick-up
or learn to enjoy frozen pizza just like in the cafeteria. Don't worry,
schools only a few months away.

--
I weep for the poor soul who eats cold food, gets
slow service and blames us without knowing why.

Don Ertman

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99

[snip story of dumbass customer]

> 3) If a customer uses foul language, his credibility is instantly shot,
> and he is no longer a customer. If a customer starts cussing, I just
> hang up the phone. "Customers" who cuss and scream have no leg to stand
> on when it comes to "filing a complaint."
>
> --
> Jim Mackey, GM, Ex-PTE
> San Jose, CA

Now in the continuing game of "I can top that...",

Last Saturday I took an out of area order as part of a triple, it fit right in the
middle without too much problem so I told the phone guy (who was in my crew at this
store when I was an Ass't Manager) that I'd take it this time, but to check with a
driver the next time he wasn't sure about the delivery area.

So I get to the house and knock, no answer. I ring the bell, again, no answer. I knock
again, loudly, still no answer. So, as a last resort, I pull out my personal cel phone
and call the house, answering machine. I leave a message saying; "I was here, you
weren't, yada yada yada, it is such and such time.".

I finish the triple and go back to the store. The GM asks; "The Morons called, they want
to know where their pizza is." I tell her that the story. She says take this remake out
to them. So I take the pie out to the morons. They promptly tear me a new asshole. Their
kids are starving, the dog is traumatized by my red car, my exhaust is depleting the
ozone, etc. etc. etc. I ask them did they listen to the answering machine, they say and
I quote "Huh?". They listen, they look stupid, Don is triumphant, hooray!!

I get back to the store, the GM asks, "What the hell did you do now?". I say and I
quote, "Huh?". These wastes of flesh called up to scream at the GM and demand my job and
my head on a silver platter. Apparently, I had screamed at THEM. I had used every swear
word known to man and a few known only to sailors, I had kicked their dog, grabbed the
wife's ass, spit on the husband, and pissed on their flower bed all the while singing a
song that went something like this: "You are fucking stupid, you are cheap ass bastards,
and I hope you die, la la la la la."

All I could do was laugh.

Sometimes assholes just aren't worth the effort of smacking the snot out of them with my
bigass Maglite. (please note this is a joke; I wouldn't smack a moron with my bigass
Maglite, I might hurt the Maglite)

Rick Gallipeau

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:02:01 -0700, Don Ertman <ert...@olywa.net>
wrote:

>[snip story of dumbass customer]

<snip two of them even...mostly>

>I get back to the store, the GM asks, "What the hell did you do now?". I say and I
>quote, "Huh?". These wastes of flesh called up to scream at the GM and demand my job and
>my head on a silver platter. Apparently, I had screamed at THEM. I had used every swear
>word known to man and a few known only to sailors, I had kicked their dog, grabbed the
>wife's ass, spit on the husband, and pissed on their flower bed all the while singing a
>song that went something like this: "You are fucking stupid, you are cheap ass bastards,
>and I hope you die, la la la la la."

Hehehehehehehe, I need the lyrics to that song, I will start singing
it to the worst offenders in our area :) And, I wouldn't blame you at
this point if you went back to the shit heads house and did all that!

Big Ricky G.
Big Ricky G.

EvulHawk-OSH-BK lvl 35 rogue

"Kill the bawwal's, Kill the BAWWAL'S!" -- Elmer Fudd gone hunting.

Potato

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
Good point.

A0702986...@hotmail.com
ICQ 33232292

Potato

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
Actually, the world of pizza delivery does revolve around the customers.
What exactly do you think you'd do without them?

A0702986...@hotmail.com
ICQ 33232292

Potato

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
This is interesting given your above "fuck this asshole" comments.

A0702986...@hotmail.com
ICQ 33232292

David

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 15:08:10 -0500, "Potato"
<A070298649015571@#removethis#hotmail.com> said:

>Actually, the world of pizza delivery does revolve around the customers.
>What exactly do you think you'd do without them?

Deliver to other ones.

Bleech_

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 15:04:25 -0500, "Potato"
<A070298649015571@#removethis#hotmail.com> spewed forth:

>Good point.

Hey Potato ? You ever consider getting a hobby, so you'll have
something ELSE to do on the the weekends other than trolling ?

MEMBER, FLAT EARTH SOCIETY | http://bleechworld.cjb.net
To e-mail me, nevermind the BOLLOCKS | FERRIGNO IN '00

Your fantasies are unlikely. But beautiful.

OsbourneO

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
>I get back to the store, the GM asks, "What the hell did you do now?". I say
>and I
>quote, "Huh?". These wastes of flesh called up to scream at the GM and demand
>my job and
>my head on a silver platter. Apparently, I had screamed at THEM. I had used
>every swear
>word known to man and a few known only to sailors, I had kicked their dog,
>grabbed the
>wife's ass, spit on the husband, and pissed on their flower bed all the while
>singing a
>song that went something like this: "You are fucking stupid, you are cheap
>ass bastards,
>and I hope you die, la la la la la."
>
>All I could do was laugh.
>
>Sometimes assholes just aren't worth the effort of smacking the snot out of
>them with my
>bigass Maglite. (please note this is a joke; I wouldn't smack a moron with my
>bigass
>Maglite, I might hurt the Maglite)
>
>--

That is the funniest shit I have ever heard. Thanks for the laughs.

OsbourneO

Joseph Nicholson

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
David wrote:

Actually, it's been my experience that in every store there are a few
customers you can afford to lose. Sometimes it takes more than one or two
incidents with the same customer before the manager decides to blacklist
them ;-). People who cuss don't get very far. I can deal with non tippers
who are at least polite, but at the PJ's I work at, next to a college
campus; we get a lot of jerks who say things like "keep the penny as your
tip." Ditto for a few of the ghettos nearby. The only reason why I've stayed
at that store for 3 years is because we do such a high volume I'm making
more money there than any suburban store I've worked in. It's nice that our
average miles per order is around 1 mile, but you better believe there's a
lot of stress at times dealing with people who act very condescending to us.

Regards,

_Joe

--
// PoWeReD bY: Linux 2.0.35, TurboSpeed ADSL & KDE Now!
// AOL inst msngr Joey6565 | Yahoo msngr joeynick99

OsbourneO

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
>Actually, the world of pizza delivery does revolve around the customers.
>What exactly do you think you'd do without them?

Stop blowing so much money on Aspirin.

OsbourneO

OsbourneO

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
>Good point.

Hey Potato...you are a fucking PIG!!!!

Think about it...are there more delivery customers or drivers? More customers
right? The ratio is probably something around 2500:1. At least in my area.
SO anyways...which one seems to be using the service more? The customers,
right? So who is getting the bigger service the customers....or the drivers.
well we dont have 25000 drivers, but we do have 25000 customers. So what would
the customer do without the service of a delivery driver on those cold 10
degree below zero days where there is a snow emergency and everyone is warned
to stay off the road? But you dont see it that way....we as drivers do. Put
yourself in our position, and you would feel the same way. We have put
ourselves in yours. Im sure all of us drivers have ordered delivery
before....I bet we all tip the driver, also.

OsbourneO

PS now ask yourself who provides who with the service.

David

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 03:42:02 -0500, Joseph Nicholson
<joey...@diespam1.net> said:

>David wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 15:08:10 -0500, "Potato"
>> <A070298649015571@#removethis#hotmail.com> said:
>>

>> >Actually, the world of pizza delivery does revolve around the customers.
>> >What exactly do you think you'd do without them?
>>

>> Deliver to other ones.
>
>Actually, it's been my experience that in every store there are a few
>customers you can afford to lose. Sometimes it takes more than one or two
>incidents with the same customer before the manager decides to blacklist
>them ;-). People who cuss don't get very far. I can deal with non tippers
>who are at least polite, but at the PJ's I work at, next to a college
>campus; we get a lot of jerks who say things like "keep the penny as your
>tip."

When they do that, smile real big and say you knew they were going to
do that, then tell them (with a really evil smirk) that you hope they
enjoy their pizza. They'll be afraid to eat it, but can't hardly call
the store and complain that the driver told them to enjoy their meal.

It's funny as hell.

David

Potato

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
I'm afraid you misunderstand. The very concept of "without customers" means
no customers whatsoever; therefore, there cannot possibly be "other ones."

A0702986...@hotmail.com
ICQ 33232292
David wrote in message <376d0de6....@news.ionet.net>...

>Deliver to other ones.

Potato

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99

A0702986...@hotmail.com
ICQ 33232292

>Hey Potato...you are a fucking PIG!!!!

Really? hmm.

>ourselves in yours. Im sure all of us drivers have ordered delivery
>before....I bet we all tip the driver, also.

Get another job if you don't like it. You obviously like the job or you
wouldn't stick around to whine about it.

>OsbourneO
>
>PS now ask yourself who provides who with the service.

You should also brush up on your grammar. This sentence should read "Now as
yourself who provides whom with the service."

Jim Mackey

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
In article <7kgt7k$2cma$1...@newssvr01-int.news.prodigy.com>,
A070298649015571@#removethis#hotmail.com, otherwise known as Potato, came
out of the closet with...

[I wrote]

> >3) If a customer uses foul language, his credibility is instantly shot,
> >and he is no longer a customer. If a customer starts cussing, I just
> >hang up the phone. "Customers" who cuss and scream have no leg to stand
> >on when it comes to "filing a complaint."
>

> This is interesting given your above "fuck this asshole" comments.

Which was my train of thought as I read about a situation somebody else
had dealt with, as I clearly stated in my post. I guess you have a
problem with comprehension?

You really oughtta think things through before making an ass out yourself
like this.

Jim Mackey

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
In article <7kk52u$he6$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>,
A070298649015571@#removethis#hotmail.com, otherwise known as Potato, came
out of the closet with...

> A0702986...@hotmail.com
> ICQ 33232292
> >Hey Potato...you are a fucking PIG!!!!
>
> Really? hmm.
>
> >ourselves in yours. Im sure all of us drivers have ordered delivery
> >before....I bet we all tip the driver, also.
>
> Get another job if you don't like it. You obviously like the job or you
> wouldn't stick around to whine about it.

He had a valid point, and you conveniently ignored it, attempting some
lame insult instead. Keep this up, and you'll fail Trolling 101.

> >PS now ask yourself who provides who with the service.
>
> You should also brush up on your grammar. This sentence should read "Now as
> yourself who provides whom with the service."

Another black mark against you. You may has well have written "I can't
think of a comeback to your post, and since I have nothing valid to say
anyway, I'm just going to reach for small grammatical errors."

Jim Mackey

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
In article <3772ca56....@news.gte.net>, bob...@gte.net, otherwise
known as Bob Ward, came out of the closet with...

> On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:16:44 -0700, sa...@hell.org (Jim Mackey) wrote:
>
> >Another black mark against you. You may has well have written "I can't
^^^
> To say nothing of the fact that the stupid fuck screwed up himself...
> at least when I screw up and include a typo when I flame someone
> else's spelling, I call attention to it myself.
>
> Perhaps he meant to say "now axe yourself..."

ARGH!

And here I was patting myself on the back for coming up with such a "good
flame"...

David

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
>David wrote in message <376d0de6....@news.ionet.net>...
>>
>>Deliver to other ones.

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:39:14 -0500, "Potato"
<A070298649015571@#removethis#hotmail.com> said:

>I'm afraid you misunderstand. The very concept of "without customers" means
>no customers whatsoever; therefore, there cannot possibly be "other ones."

Sorry, but it is you who misunderstand. You see, the context of the
original point, made by someone who said........

>Actually, the world of pizza delivery does revolve around the customers.
>What exactly do you think you'd do without them?

.......was them replying to another point from someone who was
speaking of specific customers who are assholes. It is them we can do
without.

I had a little fun tonight myself. When a customer told me I could
keep the change, all 17 cents of it, he then asked if I had any
parmesan or peppers in my car. I told him I did. Then I left.

David

OsbourneO

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
>>PS now ask yourself who provides who with the service.
>You should also brush up on your grammar. This sentence should read "Now as
>yourself who provides whom with the service."

Dont you mean "Ask", not "as yourself"--You are an idiot!!! If you are going
to play English professor, at least spell right when you are correcting my
grammar....bitch.

Sincerely,

Osbourne

Gene Yuh

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Potato wrote:

> This is interesting given your above "fuck this asshole" comments.

If he were to say that to the customer, then his credibility would be
lost, too. However, he didn't say that to the customer. It was, instead,
his train of thought.

What the hell are you, anyway? Are you that desperate for attention?
Learn to read in context, and people won't think you're as stupid as you
really are.

Gene Yuh

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Potato wrote:

> Actually, the world of pizza delivery does revolve around the customers.
> What exactly do you think you'd do without them?
>

> A0702986...@hotmail.com
> ICQ 33232292
> >
> >God, don't you love those morons who think the world revolves around them.

Actually, you're both wrong. Both are equally important. One is not more
important than the other. There's something to be expected from both parties.

Pizza place: Expected to give the highest quality of service and the
greatest amount of customer satisfaction. When it comes to getting their
pizza, the world does revolve around them, within reasonable expectation.

Customer: Expected to pay pizza place and conform to custom and standard
prevalent (aka tipping driver), as well as conduct oneself in a courteous
manner.

The argument that the delivery driver is just doing his job and does not
deserve a tip is ridiculous. The custom and standard prevalent is that drivers
get tipped, typically $2 a delivery. If the tip was not expected from the
customer, then the driver would have to make more than minimum wage to
compensate for the usage of the vehicle, gas, maintenance, etc. Higher
compensation from the employer's end would result in a more expensive pizza, or
a delivery charge. More expensive pizza or delivery charge would result in
Potato/Administrator/other-assorted-losers bitching more often than they do
now.

-Gene Yuh

Gene Yuh

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Potato wrote:

> I'm afraid you misunderstand. The very concept of "without customers" means
> no customers whatsoever; therefore, there cannot possibly be "other ones."

What we seem to have here is a fundamental ignorance to the world of
economics. If there is a demand, then people will rise to the opportunity to
supply. I'll put it in simple terms, so that even you can understand it:

As long as people like pizza, there will be customers. As long as there are
customers, there will be pizza places. As long as there are delivery drivers,
there will be morons like you. As long as there are morons like you, there will
be cold pizza.

Gene Yuh

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Potato wrote:

> Good point.

You really contributed to THIS discussion. "Good point." Your typical
pat-yourselves-on-the-back-while-wasting-hard-drive-space-on-stupid-quotes-and-contributing-absolutely-nothing
comments.

> >service, by providing you with a job. Know what would happen if your store
> >suddenly wasn't there? The world wouldn't end, PEOPLE WOULD GO SOMEWHERE
> >ELSE.

And if our store suddenly wasn't there? The world woudn't end, DRIVERS
WOULD GO WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE. You'll still have to deal with the same driver.
Only difference? The name of the pizza place.

> >If you want to know how much your "service" would be missed, put your
> finger
> >in a glass of water, take it out, and tell me how big of a hole you left.

That point could be applied to customers like yourself, too.

-Gene Yuh

Gene Yuh

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Potato wrote:

> >PS now ask yourself who provides who with the service.
> You should also brush up on your grammar. This sentence should read "Now as
> yourself who provides whom with the service."

"Now as yourself..."? Are you for real?

-Gene Yuh

Don Ertman

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99

Gene Yuh wrote:

> Potato wrote:
>
> > Actually, the world of pizza delivery does revolve around the customers.
> > What exactly do you think you'd do without them?
> >
> > A0702986...@hotmail.com
> > ICQ 33232292
> > >
> > >God, don't you love those morons who think the world revolves around them.
> > >

> Actually, you're both wrong. Both are equally important. One is not more
> important than the other. There's something to be expected from both parties.

[snip salient thoughts from Gene]

Actually Gene, I'm not wrong, I expressed an opinion. If I had said, "All customers
are morons, and they think the work revolves around them.", then yes I would be
wrong.

Sorry for being so anal, but I don't think that all customers are morons. For the
most part they are polite and tip. It's just the ones who DO believe the world
revolves around them really can get under your skin.

Joseph L. Hart

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Potato wrote:

> >OsbourneO

> >PS now ask yourself who provides who with the service.
> You should also brush up on your grammar. This sentence should read "Now as
> yourself who provides whom with the service."

ROFL!!!

this is great stuff......i love it when someone goes to correct someone, only to
make an even bigger ass of himself

keep it up, Pothead, i need the laughs.....

joe

Joseph L. Hart

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Jim Mackey wrote:

> In article <7kk52u$he6$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>,
> A070298649015571@#removethis#hotmail.com, otherwise known as Potato, came

> out of the closet with...

> > >PS now ask yourself who provides who with the service.
> >
> > You should also brush up on your grammar. This sentence should read "Now as
> > yourself who provides whom with the service."
>

> Another black mark against you. You may has well have written "I can't

> think of a comeback to your post, and since I have nothing valid to say
> anyway, I'm just going to reach for small grammatical errors."

Jim, you forgot:
"....and make an error of my own, just to prove what a fucking idiot i am."

joe

Jon Hartman

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
hahaha

I stand corrected. :)

Bleech_ wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:56:12 GMT, Jon Hartman <ca...@cyberspace.org>
> spewed forth:
>
> >Boy, do you ever need an attitude change. Its the customer thats doing you a

> >service, by providing you with a job.
>

> Sorry, my boss's accountant (the lady who prints and signs my checks)
> won't even eat here anymore. So I guess you're wrong.

> --
> MEMBER, FLAT EARTH SOCIETY | http://bleechworld.cjb.net
> To e-mail me, nevermind the BOLLOCKS | FERRIGNO IN '00
>

> "When no one was looking, Alex squeezed the teddy bear!"

Jon Hartman

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Yeah. Keep it moving...

"Joseph L. Hart" wrote:

> Jon Hartman wrote:
>
> > Boy, do you ever need an attitude change. Its the customer thats doing you a

> > service, by providing you with a job. Know what would happen if your store
> > suddenly wasn't there? The world wouldn't end, PEOPLE WOULD GO SOMEWHERE
> > ELSE.
> >

> > If you want to know how much your "service" would be missed, put your finger
> > in a glass of water, take it out, and tell me how big of a hole you left.
>

> .....this one isn't even worth a response, folks.....everybody just move
> along.....nothing to see here.....
>
> joe

Jon Hartman

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
My reference isn't to the pizza industry in general. It would flat-out suck, if all
of them immediately quit delivering. My comments were more directed at the imbecile
who forgot that a free markets dictates that if he quits providing a service, and
there's still a demand for that service, someone else will provide it.

Lurker Below wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:56:12 GMT, Jon Hartman <ca...@cyberspace.org>

> wrote:
>
> >Boy, do you ever need an attitude change. Its the customer thats doing you a
> >service, by providing you with a job.
>

> You need to go back and look at your dictionary.

> >Know what would happen if your store suddenly wasn't there? The world wouldn't
> >end, PEOPLE WOULD GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
>

> Which has exactly _zero_ to do with whether or not I'm providing a
> service.

> >If you want to know how much your "service" would be missed, put your finger
> >in a glass of water, take it out, and tell me how big of a hole you left.
>

> Actually, given the dominance of this franchise in this market, it
> would be considerable under the terms you define.
>
> In any case, if pizza places suddenly quit providing the service of
> delivery, I bet the impact would be greater than you think. Would life
> go on? Yes it would. But people get used to and attached to their
> conveniences.
>
> >Lurker Below wrote:

> >> 'Barbarism'?!? Geez...seems a bit much for the 'offense'. I frequently
> >> don't say hello (although I don't ask how much change they want) and I
> >> don't generally thank them - I _do_ invite them to 'Enjoy their meal'
> >> as I get ready to turn and leave, but I'm providing _them_ a service
> >> and they are telling me how much they like/value that service by their
> >> tip. The average 'at the door' experience for me runs - 1) Ring
> >> doorbell/Knock on door 2) Present food to customer 3) Inform customer
> >> of cost 4) Make change. I generally average between $2 and $2.50 per
> >> address on a nightly basis.
>
> >> I've had people get all bent out of shape when I did the small talk
> >> thing and I've had fewer get bent out of shape by my sparsity of
> >> words. It seems to waste less time, for them and for me.
>
> Overall, it is not 'barbarism'.
> --
> "When you're old and grey you will remember what they said,
> Two girls are too many, three's crowd and four you're dead."
> Raymond Douglas Davies

Jon Hartman

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
I don't believe he said without some of the customers, I believe he said
without the customers. Without them, you WOULDN'T be delivering to other
customers, because there wouldn't be any.

Moron.

David wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 15:08:10 -0500, "Potato"
> <A070298649015571@#removethis#hotmail.com> said:
>

> >Actually, the world of pizza delivery does revolve around the customers.
> >What exactly do you think you'd do without them?
>

> Deliver to other ones.

Jon Hartman

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
I don't consider myself a phenomal tipper, but on a $13 order, I'll typically tip
$2-$3. I worked as a server for Crapplebee's, and that job sucked hardcore, but I
never took on the attitude that I was doing the customers a favor. There's plenty
of other places they can go. Its the staff that develop an attitude problem that
cause a store to go down.

Jim Mackey wrote:

> In article <3767B974...@cyberspace.org>, ca...@cyberspace.org,
> otherwise known as Jon Hartman, came out of the closet with...

> > Boy, do you ever need an attitude change. Its the customer thats doing you a
> > service, by providing you with a job.
>

> Here we go again... it's another "customer" who thinks he's always right.
> *Chuckle*

> > Know what would happen if your store suddenly wasn't there?
>

> You wouldn't get your pizza?

> > The world wouldn't end, PEOPLE WOULD GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
>

> And get worse service than they got from me. And so on, and so on... the
> "world" of pizza delivery would come to an end.

> > If you want to know how much your "service" would be missed, put your finger
> > in a glass of water, take it out, and tell me how big of a hole you left.
>

> Seriously, don't bother trying to prove some point to *us*. If you're
> happy with shitty service, that's your choice. By all means, keep
> stiffing. It makes little difference to us - we'll just keep making sure
> you wait a good long time for a cold pizza, while we service the *good*
> customers.
>
> Oh, since you're new here, I suppose I should point out that I'm a
> general manager, not a driver - which means calling me to complain
> about "poor service" would get you nowhere.

Jon Hartman

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
As long as there are morons like you, there will be stores going out of business,
and competitors eating up your territory.

Jon Hartman

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
School pizza sucked, but oh... those chicken-n-noodles...

Served with mashed potatoes and gravy and a roll, with chocolate milk. They beat
the tar out of any pizza you could possibly make.

Chris Young wrote:

> Jon Hartman <ca...@cyberspace.org> wrote in message

> > Boy, do you ever need an attitude change. Its the customer thats doing you

> > service, by providing you with a job. Know what would happen if your store
> > suddenly wasn't there? The world wouldn't end, PEOPLE WOULD GO SOMEWHERE
> > ELSE.
> >

> > If you want to know how much your "service" would be missed, put your
> finger
> > in a glass of water, take it out, and tell me how big of a hole you left.
> >

> I'm guessing you got you food late last night or maybe he got there while
> you were at an important point on your new Playstation game. Either way you
> seem to have an attitude problem too. Do us all a favor and either pick-up
> or learn to enjoy frozen pizza just like in the cafeteria. Don't worry,
> schools only a few months away.
>
> --
> I weep for the poor soul who eats cold food, gets
> slow service and blames us without knowing why.

Jon Hartman

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Thanks. :)

Potato wrote:

> Good point.
>
> A0702986...@hotmail.com
> ICQ 33232292

Jon Hartman

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
You must live in China.

OsbourneO wrote:

> >Good point.

> Hey Potato...you are a fucking PIG!!!!
>

> Think about it...are there more delivery customers or drivers? More customers
> right? The ratio is probably something around 2500:1. At least in my area.
> SO anyways...which one seems to be using the service more? The customers,
> right? So who is getting the bigger service the customers....or the drivers.
> well we dont have 25000 drivers, but we do have 25000 customers. So what would
> the customer do without the service of a delivery driver on those cold 10
> degree below zero days where there is a snow emergency and everyone is warned
> to stay off the road? But you dont see it that way....we as drivers do. Put
> yourself in our position, and you would feel the same way. We have put

> ourselves in yours. Im sure all of us drivers have ordered delivery
> before....I bet we all tip the driver, also.
>

> OsbourneO

Jon Hartman

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
I hope so. It was pretty dang hilarious.

Gene Yuh wrote:

> Potato wrote:
>
> > >PS now ask yourself who provides who with the service.

> > You should also brush up on your grammar. This sentence should read "Now as
> > yourself who provides whom with the service."

Jon Hartman

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
(Shrug) They can job-hop fourty or fifty times for all I care.

Gene Yuh wrote:

> Potato wrote:
>
> > Good point.
>
> You really contributed to THIS discussion. "Good point." Your typical
> pat-yourselves-on-the-back-while-wasting-hard-drive-space-on-stupid-quotes-and-contributing-absolutely-nothing
> comments.
>

> > >service, by providing you with a job. Know what would happen if your store
> > >suddenly wasn't there? The world wouldn't end, PEOPLE WOULD GO SOMEWHERE
> > >ELSE.
>

> And if our store suddenly wasn't there? The world woudn't end, DRIVERS
> WOULD GO WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE. You'll still have to deal with the same driver.
> Only difference? The name of the pizza place.
>

> > >If you want to know how much your "service" would be missed, put your
> > finger
> > >in a glass of water, take it out, and tell me how big of a hole you left.

Skreach

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:42:58 -0500, "Potato"
<A070298649015571@#removethis#hotmail.com> wrote:

>>OsbourneO

>>PS now ask yourself who provides who with the service.
>You should also brush up on your grammar. This sentence should read "Now as
>yourself who provides whom with the service."

There's nothing funnier than an IDIOT trying to "correct" someone's
grammar. Nice job Potato.....or should that be Potatoe????
Skreach
aka TripDecker
bgb...@indy.net
http://www.bgbowl.com

Gene Yuh

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Jon Hartman wrote:

> I don't believe he said without some of the customers, I believe he said
> without the customers. Without them, you WOULDN'T be delivering to other
> customers, because there wouldn't be any.
>
> Moron.

Doesn't matter what he said. There will always be customers. People won't
suddently STOP liking pizza.

--
--Gene Yuh
In the beginning the Universe was created.

Potato

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
No, I do believe it is you who needs to think some things through. You said
cursing earns no respect, yet you curse in your postings; think that makes
me respect you?

--

A0702986...@hotmail.com
ICQ 33232292
>You really oughtta think things through before making an ass out yourself
>like this.

Potato

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
You actually seem to understand. As long as there are customers, there will
be pizza delivery drivers. If you don't like your $1.00 tip, quit. There
will be more than enough people waiting for your job when you pick up your
last check.

--

A0702986...@hotmail.com
ICQ 33232292

Potato

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Exactly, and likewise there will always be pizza delivery drivers.

--

A0702986...@hotmail.com
ICQ 33232292

Potato

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Thought/said, whatever. He is cursing in his messages; therefore, he is
just as bad as the customer, and has no credibility as far as I'm
concerned.

--

A0702986...@hotmail.com
ICQ 33232292

Potato

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
The original post is irrelevant here. I said

>>Actually, the world of pizza delivery does revolve around the customers.
>>What exactly do you think you'd do without them?

To which you ignorantly replied "deliver to other ones."

Learn to use logical thought processes.

--

A0702986...@hotmail.com
ICQ 33232292

Potato

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
I don't remember any of you *ever* having a valid point. If you're going to
whine about only getting $1-$2 then you don't deserve the job anyway.

I also had a valid point, and "you conveniently ignored it, attempting..."
to sound like you are an intellectual.

I do believe it was your good friend "Lurker Below" who criticizes spelling
errors when in an arguement? You don't seem to be insulting him. There's
no WAY you could be biased, though, is it?

--

A0702986...@hotmail.com
ICQ 33232292

>He had a valid point, and you conveniently ignored it, attempting some

Potato

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
Oh no! You called me "bitch," that makes me so mad! <Sarcasm> Haha, it's
always great when you argue someone to the point that they have nothing to
say, so they resort to cursing and total frustration.

--

A0702986...@hotmail.com
ICQ 33232292

>..bitch.

Potato

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
It appears none of you are smart enough to see my use of "irony," "sarcasm,"
or "wit."

Jim Mackey

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
In article <376ECAD7...@cyberspace.org>, ca...@cyberspace.org,
otherwise known as Jon Hartman, came out of the closet with...

> I don't consider myself a phenomal tipper, but on a $13 order, I'll typically tip
> $2-$3.

Any driver would be happy with that - even ihatebubba/stiffmenot.

> I worked as a server for Crapplebee's, and that job sucked hardcore, but I
> never took on the attitude that I was doing the customers a favor.

And we have?

Jim Mackey

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
In article <7kmqs5$5qt8$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>,
A070298649015571@#removethis#hotmail.com, otherwise known as Potato, came
out of the closet with...

[I wrote]

> >You really oughtta think things through before making an ass out yourself
> >like this.
>

> No, I do believe it is you who needs to think some things through.

You *really* made yourself look dumb this time! Let's have a look:

I did? Hmmm... I wrote:

> If a customer uses foul language, his credibility is instantly shot,
> and he is no longer a customer. If a customer starts cussing, I just
> hang up the phone. "Customers" who cuss and scream have no leg to stand
> on when it comes to "filing a complaint."

How do you interpret this as me saying "cursing earns no respect?"
Jesus, what are you, in kindergarten?

> yet you curse in your postings;

So I use "bad words" here and there. What does this have to do with
anything?

> think that makes me respect you?

LOL... what on earth possessed you to think that I give a shit whether
you respect me or not?

Now, to give you some small benefit of the doubt: I think you truly
thought you were making a logical argument in your post. Unfortunately
for you, your "logic" was about on par with the following:

"So... if she weighs the same as a duck... she's made of wood! And
therefore... a witch!"

Jim Mackey

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
In article <7kmqvi$58v0$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>,
A070298649015571@#removethis#hotmail.com, otherwise known as Potato, came
out of the closet with...

> Thought/said, whatever. He is cursing in his messages; therefore, he is

> just as bad as the customer, and has no credibility as far as I'm
> concerned.

Oh, ok. Let me get this straight: since I use swear words randomly in my
posts, I have no credibility with you (like I care).

The only reason you feel this way is because you are incapable of coming
up with your own arguments or logic, so you're stealing my argument to
"use" against me.

I said this before: give it up, boy. You have no hope of competing here.
And again, that's a piece of friendly advice.

Jim Mackey

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
In article <7kmr3k$5odu$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>,
A070298649015571@#removethis#hotmail.com, otherwise known as Potato, came
out of the closet with...

> The original post is irrelevant here. I said

> >>Actually, the world of pizza delivery does revolve around the customers.
> >>What exactly do you think you'd do without them?
>
> To which you ignorantly replied "deliver to other ones."
>
> Learn to use logical thought processes.

What the fuck are you talking about?

It is loading more messages.