The Great North American Pirate War of 2011

Marconi's Ghost

Apr 13, 2011, 1:52:43 AM4/13/11
What an utter crock of shit. None of you are any better than the other
guy at this point, so you can climb down from your high horse and stop
pointing the finger of self-righteousness.

Congratulations to you all for your part in fragmenting the community;
Riley Hollingsworth probably pops a boner and jizzes himself on the
hour, every hour at the mere thought of your exceptional efficiency in
this regard.

At this point, who said what or provoked whomever else really just
doesn't fucking matter. You're all running around like a bunch of
gossipy junior high school kids playing Chinese whispers and taking the
outcome of that game seriously.

Quit being butthurt, quit being antagonistic, and put this petty shit
aside. It's bad enough that the FCC wasn't shut down last Friday along
with pretty much every other government agency, but if you're going to
make their job easier you may as well just go the whole hog and turn
yourselves in. At least that'll save some of our tax dollars before the
inevitable hits if things continue the way they are.

- MG.

John Poet

Apr 13, 2011, 11:33:56 AM4/13/11

To create a 'false moral equivalance' is what you are proposing here.
Sorry, but that's not the way it is.

One side in this war has a history of witch hunts, endless propoganda
campaigns, exposing people's personal information on the internet,
attempting to reveal the location of 'enemy' operators, and using
multiiple sock-puppets to gang up on anyone voicing any dissent and
trying to shut them up, wear them out or chase them away.

And it goes further than that.

My email box is becoming full of the stories of people who have been
persecuted by one 'side' in this war, going back years.... on the FRN
and off of it... harassment campaigns conducted by anonymous Email...
and people thanking me for standing up to the sock-puppets and trying
to shut them up, because they fear "being banned" if they post, or
having their personal information leaked, because both things have
been done before.

Some of those who scream the loudest about 'cowards who make their
attacks while hiding behind the internet' now appear to be the most
guilty of that, and to a sickening degree which I never imagined
possible.

So no, I can't agree that 'one side is no better than the other.'

John Poet
The Crystal Ship
The TCS Blog http://tcsshortwave.blogspot.com/

H.F. Underground: Pirate & Shortwave Loggings & Forums
http://www.hfunderground.com/board/

Pirates Week Podcast:
http://www.piratesweek.info

The Free Radio Weekly: A weekly Email publication with the most
current pirate loggings and information now being published anywhere!
and tell 'em that we sent ya!

Free Radio Network. Message Boards: http://www.frn.net/vines/

Marconi's Ghost

Apr 18, 2011, 9:19:07 AM4/18/11
On 4/13/11 11:33 AM, John Poet wrote:

> To create a 'false moral equivalance' is what you are proposing here.

No, that is not what I am proposing.

When I say that one side is not better than the other, that is an
observation based on what is possible to ascertain is happening from the
available information. Further to that:

> Sorry, but that's not the way it is.

I'm willing to accept that there may very well be a clear aggressor and
a clear victim in this, but based on the available information there's
no real conclusion that can be reached at this time other than it's a
private pissing war that has spilled out into the public eye.
Continuing on from that:

> One side in this war has a history of witch hunts, endless propoganda
> campaigns, exposing people's personal information on the internet,
> attempting to reveal the location of 'enemy' operators, and using
> multiiple sock-puppets to gang up on anyone voicing any dissent and
> trying to shut them up, wear them out or chase them away.
>
> And it goes further than that.

All of which I am again willing to accept. But at this time there is
nothing to openly demonstrate that that is the case, or to lay out who
is responsible for what actions. All anyone can really see are two
vaguely-defined camps taking potshots at each other over... Something.

Further to the above:

> My email box is becoming full of the stories of people who have been
> persecuted by one 'side' in this war, going back years.... on the FRN
> and off of it... harassment campaigns conducted by anonymous Email...
> and people thanking me for standing up to the sock-puppets and trying
> to shut them up, because they fear "being banned" if they post, or
> having their personal information leaked, because both things have
> been done before.

I'm in 100% agreement that these are not acceptable things to have
happening. So wouldn't it make sense to completely expose those
responsible and essentially drive them out of the community? If they're
causing problems to the degree that it sounds as though they are, then
they should be excised so that the community as a whole doesn't have to
suffer.

> Some of those who scream the loudest about 'cowards who make their
> attacks while hiding behind the internet' now appear to be the most
> guilty of that, and to a sickening degree which I never imagined
> possible.

True, but without knowing who or what it specifically is that's the
issue here, there's no way for anyone to come to an informed opinion
about it. Clearly you are privy to information that I (and most others)
are not; would it not make sense to bring this information to light so
that house cleaning of those problem children can begin?

> So no, I can't agree that 'one side is no better than the other.'

I'm sorry, but without knowing in toto what both sides may or may not
have done to each other, I can't agree with your assertion. Note that I
do not say this to be dismissive of the points you raise; I do believe
that there is validity to them. But there's also nothing to back them
up, and it's hard to know who to support when the best reason in favor
of doing so is, "those guys suck" from one side and, "they're evil" from
the other.

- MG.