Is this a real picture or CGI?

Doc

May 7, 2008, 5:51:25 PM5/7/08
Looks to me either like CGI or extremely enhanced by CGI. Seems to
have a sort of "plasic" patina to it. Is an actual photo of a pristine
new car not good enough anymore?

http://www.toyota.com/matrix/

Jer

May 7, 2008, 6:23:50 PM5/7/08

No, it's not. Advertising execs are all pressured to put pizz-azz on
the fast burn cycle. This way, they can lie as much as they want to
without so many people noticing. CGI gimmicks, cartoon drawings, etc -
anything but the honest truth. It's all so disgusting to me I no longer
pay any attention because if I wanted to be lied to, I coulda stayed
married.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Jürgen Exner

May 7, 2008, 6:55:12 PM5/7/08
Doc <docsa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Looks to me either like CGI or extremely enhanced by CGI. Seems to

CGI = Common Gateway Interface?

William Black

May 7, 2008, 7:04:02 PM5/7/08

"Doc" <docsa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Air brushed by the look of it.

There'll be a picture of a car somewhere under the effects.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

AKA gray asphalt

May 7, 2008, 8:02:33 PM5/7/08

"William Black" <willia...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

Looks CGI to me because it is so distorted, even more
than a wide angle lens, no? I am like so ignorant about this
that if I'm right it will be an accident. Imo, that is an ugly car.

Nervous Nick

May 7, 2008, 8:28:34 PM5/7/08

I feel sorry for you, and for anyone else who gives a good goddamn.

It's an ad, you fuckwit.

--
YOP...

Rob Morley

May 7, 2008, 9:23:37 PM5/7/08
In article <ffda67cc-fb55-4cc8-aae8-78487af0871e@
56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com>, Doc
docsa...@yahoo.com says...
It wouldn't really be right for the Matrix to be anything other than
CGI, would it?

Dave Platt

May 7, 2008, 9:44:32 PM5/7/08
In article <MPG.228c661a3...@news.individual.net>,
Rob Morley <nos...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> Looks to me either like CGI or extremely enhanced by CGI. Seems to
>> have a sort of "plasic" patina to it. Is an actual photo of a pristine
>> new car not good enough anymore?
>>
>> http://www.toyota.com/matrix/

>It wouldn't really be right for the Matrix to be anything other than
>CGI, would it?

## SPLORF ##

Two points, and a gold star on your term paper, sir!

--
Dave Platt <dpl...@radagast.org> AE6EO

Jeff

May 7, 2008, 11:09:03 PM5/7/08

It's a real photo that's been dodged and burned. It looks like the top
surfaces have been burned in. The rest is just superb lighting.

The way it is lit is just stunning. Take a look at the catch lights and
the shadowing and you'll see that the lighting is very simple, but it's
some of the best modeling I've ever seen. You can really feel the three
curves of it.

It appears to be one longish softbox almost directly overhead. A bit
of fill to soften the shadows.

Jeff

gpsman

May 7, 2008, 11:30:50 PM5/7/08
On May 7, 5:51 pm, Doc <docsavag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Looks to me either like CGI or extremely enhanced by CGI.

Seems like good guesses.

> Seems to
> have a sort of "plasic" patina to it. Is an actual photo of a pristine
> new car not good enough anymore?

No, and it never has been. Photo manipulation is as old as
photography itself, both post and pre-production. Nature of the
beast, I'm afraid.

Usually, I think, the goal is to express what the shooter feels as
much as sees. "Reality" often falls a tad short of doing that.

AAR, chances are good the basis of the image was directly related to
the cost of production. Scan a artist rendering; CGI it = no location
or studio shoot.

> http://www.toyota.com/matrix/
-----

- gpsman

tony cooper

May 7, 2008, 11:51:40 PM5/7/08
On Wed, 7 May 2008 20:30:50 -0700 (PDT), gpsman
<gps...@driversmail.com> wrote:

>On May 7, 5:51 pm, Doc <docsavag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Looks to me either like CGI or extremely enhanced by CGI.
>
>Seems like good guesses.
>
>> Seems to
>> have a sort of "plasic" patina to it. Is an actual photo of a pristine
>> new car not good enough anymore?
>
>No, and it never has been. Photo manipulation is as old as
>photography itself, both post and pre-production. Nature of the
>beast, I'm afraid.

A older photographer I talked to told me that he used to have cars
wiped down with kerosene before shooting them for car ads. It gave
the surface a "wet look".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

C J Campbell

May 8, 2008, 12:18:52 PM5/8/08

You are probably right. You see the reflection of the softbox in the
car windows, plus the reflection of a couple of spots on the front of
the car. Subtractive shadowing around the floor. The color has been
carefully calibrated to match an actual Matrix. One shot, no Photoshop.
It could easily be the work of Claude Jodoin or one of his students. He
does this sort of thing, although his i2i Studio has become more
oriented toward wedding and portrait photography. Claude does not dodge
and burn much (though he certainly might have here) but instead uses an
enormous collection of Scrim Jim panels to both highlight and screen
light where he wishes.

There are also rental studios in Detroit and elsewhere that have these
20 foot long softboxes suspended from the ceiling. You drive the car
(or other large object, even an airplane) right through the big doors
of the studio. The softbox is suspended from beams and can be easily
moved in any direction or tilted as needed.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

thepixelfreak

May 8, 2008, 12:35:03 PM5/8/08
On 2008-05-07 15:55:12 -0700, Jürgen Exner <jurg...@hotmail.com> said:

> Doc <docsa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Looks to me either like CGI or extremely enhanced by CGI. Seems to
>
> CGI = Common Gateway Interface?

Computer Generated Imagery

--

thepixelfreak

Ken Hart

May 8, 2008, 12:53:42 PM5/8/08

"Doc" <docsa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Check the original negative and compare it to the finished print.

Ken Hart

May 8, 2008, 12:57:35 PM5/8/08

"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Plus, if you didn't have enough light in the studio, you could just strike a
match!

Jürgen Exner

May 8, 2008, 1:48:47 PM5/8/08

Thanks. Those TLAs are really confusing.

jue

Ali

May 8, 2008, 2:18:56 PM5/8/08
It could be either. CGI is very common in automotive photography now-a-days
and with big budgets, are done very well by truly amazing artists. It's
actually closer to movie production than still photography.

For me though, this image looks more photography than CGI, compared to a lot
other photos I have seen. But you never know, because at the end of the
day, the final image has to look like a real product whether GC or
Photoshopped.

"Doc" <docsa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Jeff

May 8, 2008, 4:06:32 PM5/8/08
krishnananda wrote:
> In article <g3f624l77o900hsbk...@4ax.com>,
> TDS (TLA Disambiguation Service)

I have a friend that spent some time in the military and across his
desk used to come paper work stamped "UNA". What did "UNA" stand for?
Why, "use no abbreviations", of course.

Jeff

> CGI
>
> CGI may mean:
> € Cape Girardeau Regional Airport (IATA airport code: CGI) in Cape
> Girardeau, Missouri, United States
> € Catholic Guides of Ireland, a girl guide association
> € Cell Global Identify, unique identifier of a cell site in cellular
> networks such as GSM and UMTS
> € CGI Group, an information technology and business process services
> company.
> € Consultative Group on Indonesia, a former gathering of donors to
> the Indonesian government.
> € CGI Records, a Gospel music record label.
> € CGI-IUGS, Commission for the Management and Application of
> Geoscience Information. A commission of the International Union of
> Geological Sciences.
> € CGI.pm, a Perl module used for dealing with Common Gateway
> Interface
> € Championship Gaming Invitational, a Video Game tournament themed
> show shown on DirecTV
> € Clinical Global Impression, a scale to assess treatment response
> associated with mental disorders
> € Clinton Global Initiative, a forum created by former President
> Bill Clinton to discuss global problems
> € Coast Guard Intelligence, the intelligence branch of the United
> States Coast Guard.
> € Common Gateway Interface, a technology used in web servers to
> delivery dynamic content
> € Computer graphics interface, a low-level interface between the
> Graphical Kernel System and the hardware
> € Computer-generated imagery, application of computer graphics to
> special effects in films, television programs, etc.
> € Corrugated Galvanised Iron, molded sheet-metal
> € Cuerpo Guardia de Infantería, an Argentine police riot control
> service
> € Stratified Charged Gasoline Injection, a gasoline direct injection
> by the German automobile and truck manufacturer DaimlerChrysler for
> Spark-ignition-Engines
> € compacted graphite iron used for engines.

T Shadow

May 8, 2008, 5:51:09 PM5/8/08
"Jeff" <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote in message

> I have a friend that spent some time in the military and across his
> desk used to come paper work stamped "UNA". What did "UNA" stand for?
> Why, "use no abbreviations", of course.
>
> Jeff

Sure, but SNAFU is always in force so no stamp is needed for it.

Chris H

May 9, 2008, 2:07:40 AM5/9/08
In message <xuWdnewgvs7XwL7V...@earthlink.com>, Jeff
<jeff@spam_me_not.com> writes

>krishnananda wrote:
>> In article <g3f624l77o900hsbk...@4ax.com>,
>> Jürgen Exner <jurg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks. Those TLAs are really confusing.
>>>
>>> jue
>> TDS (TLA Disambiguation Service)
>>

> I have a friend that spent some time in the military and across his
>desk used to come paper work stamped "UNA". What did "UNA" stand for?
>Why, "use no abbreviations", of course.

In the UK military we had a term "unserviceable" that was abbreviated to
"US" . For a period I was in on a base shared with American
personnel. Who were always slightly miffed that al our broken kit was
labelled "US"

Peter

May 9, 2008, 8:26:31 AM5/9/08
"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> A older photographer I talked to told me that he used to have cars
> wiped down with kerosene before shooting them for car ads. It gave
> the surface a "wet look".

It used to be done with food all the time

--
Peter
Don't eat the props

Martin

May 10, 2008, 4:54:41 AM5/10/08
yes, you are right, my opinion is exactly the same,
it's a real photos but burned and dodged with strong color variations,
I take pictures of cars for catalog and often use similar techniques.
There are a few details which are helpful to recognize is it CGI or photo
(eg. front light or wheels)

Best Regards
Martin
www.gorgolewski.com

Uzytkownik "Jeff" <jeff@spam_me_not.com> napisal w wiadomosci

Jeff

May 10, 2008, 5:41:56 AM5/10/08
Martin wrote:
> yes, you are right, my opinion is exactly the same,
> it's a real photos but burned and dodged with strong color variations,
> I take pictures of cars for catalog and often use similar techniques.

Yes, I see. Some very nice work in there.

> There are a few details which are helpful to recognize is it CGI or photo
> (eg. front light or wheels)

Can you elaborate on that a bit...

I find some of the comments in this thread interesting. The automatic
assumption has been that it's all CGI and is no longer photography, and
then a bit of sniffing...

Photography has a long history of superb lighting. When you look at
photography from the 20's you can see that lighting was well developed
by then. I think we've gotten away from the techniques of lighting and
just assume it was all created digitally.

I look at this and try to figure out how it is done, not that I will
be shooting such stuff, but it should be something every photographer
should do. Craft should be something we all care about.

Jeff