Can rabbits have Diabetes ?

1 view

Robert Benner

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

Our 10 yr old+ male holland lop Pogo is peeing up a storm!!! (we are
talking major amounts) It started about 2 months ago. Only thing we
could think of (other than his age) is diabetes. He is perfect
otherwise. He even gets the energy up to do a binky once or so a week!

Can anyone shed any light on this. Maybe a bunny diaper with a hole
for the tail (Just kidding)

Robert Benner
m...@idirect.com
http://web.idirect.com/~moo

Troy Denkinger

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

In article <322bad03...@news.servtech.com>, m...@idirect.com (Robert Benner) wrote:
>Our 10 yr old+ male holland lop Pogo is peeing up a storm!!! (we are
>talking major amounts) It started about 2 months ago. Only thing we
>could think of (other than his age) is diabetes. He is perfect
>otherwise. He even gets the energy up to do a binky once or so a week!

Talk to your vet about this. This could be a bladder infection or some such
problem. I'm sure rabbits can get diabetes but it's not at all common.
Rabbits can certainly experience incontinence just as humans can and at age 10
he's getting up there. I'm not sure what a binky is, but I suspect it's a
good thing.

>Can anyone shed any light on this. Maybe a bunny diaper with a hole
>for the tail (Just kidding)

This is not all that odd. There are a number of rabbits in HRS foster homes
and in regular homes who are diapered. Often a paralysed rabbit will require
a diaper.

Good luck,

Troy Denkinger -- Internet Developer & Rabbit Wrangler
http://www.webcom.com/hrs/

Nichole Taylor

Sep 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/4/96

I would hate to think this, but considering this rabbit's age..10
years..he very well could be suffering
from kidney failure. The over production of urine could account for
this-hopefully it is only a urinary infection, but please see a vet
about it soon. We had a very aged dog once (over 20 years old) and this
is precisely what happened when his kidneys started to go.

I Never Met A Chocolate I Didn't Like

Sep 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/4/96

In article <322bad03...@news.servtech.com>, m...@idirect.com (Robert Benner) writes:
> Hi,

> Our 10 yr old+ male holland lop Pogo is peeing up a storm!!! (we are
> talking major amounts) It started about 2 months ago. Only thing we
> could think of (other than his age) is diabetes. He is perfect
> otherwise. He even gets the energy up to do a binky once or so a week!
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this. Maybe a bunny diaper with a hole
> for the tail (Just kidding)

I had a diabetic bunny. While it's rare, it's not unheard of - I knew of
one or two others. If you can get a urine sample to your vet, he can use a
little test-strip thingy to determine if there is sugar in the urine. That's
what we did to determine that my bun had it. Apparently a blood test isn't
definitive, as stress can up the glucose reading. Is he drinking a lot too?
Losing weight?

Another thing that can cause lots of peeing is a bladder or urinary tract
infection. Definitely have a vet check him out!

Debbie