neutering for the sake of the rabbit was Re: Natural Only

1 view

Bunhome

Dec 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/14/96

Both you and Thorwald have put negative connotations to neutering,
intentional or not. It is true that having a domestic rabbit is usually a
selfish thing to do,but neutering a rabbit is not done only to alter
behavior (taking away sexual urges that a domestic rabbits does not have a
need for),there are other benefits to the rabbit as well which I have
already mentioned and which you choose to ignore.Much of what I said in
the statement you ignored is fact. You and Thorald, are stating your
opinions.I have no problem with you having your opinion, but I do think it
would be more fair if you acknowledged the factual information that you
read, even if you disagree with it.I reiterate, noone has proven how
neutering is harmful and noone has shown how the rabbit behavior is
changed not to benefit the rabbit.There are factual statements to support
neutering your rabbit and I have posted them here recently.All that said,
even in the face of opinion, I would rather see a rabbit neutered, than
euthanized or homeless because the owner wouldn't consider neutering as a
possibility.

paul strohm wrote:

> In article <32B168...@c-zone.net>, barn...@c-zone.net says...
> >
> >I disagree. Neither you or Thorald have provided any valid support for
> >you comments.
>
> Just what do I disagree with!? I am not debating the pros and cons of
neutering.
> I have merely stated that the behavior, mounting and spraying, which
annoys you
> and others is natural to the rabbit. When you neuter in an attempt to
alter
> tha animal's behavior you are acting in your own interest
> and not in the interest of the rabbit.
>
> >On the hand, I and others have repeatly provided factual
> >information in support of neutering.You just choose to ignore it in
> >favor of your own opinions and philosophies.
> >

> I have never seen a single FACT supporting neurtering AS A BENEFIT
> for the animal. BTW, I have no philosophy on debarking, declawing
> or whatever. I don't think organ removal is the preferred method of
> behavior modification. If you don't like the behavior
> of an animal, why get and keep the animal in the first place?

Janis

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

Bunhome says:
> even in the face of opinion, I would rather see a rabbit neutered, than
> euthanized or homeless because the owner wouldn't consider neutering as a
> possibility.

Finally, a sensible point. This whole conversation got started when a
bunny-owner got frustrated by the constant spraying of his unneutered
male bunny. By telling that person that the spraying is normal & should
be allowed to remain, the bunny in question may indeed end his life in a
shelter, let loose, or alone in a hutch in the backyard, taunted by kids
or dogs. That may be an exxageration, but the majority of rabbits that
are abandoned in these ways are abandoned by owners who are NOT willing
to just live with spraying bunnies!!!! That is not ignorance of the
facts. That is reality.

By saying that we are overly selfish to want to live with our bunnies IN
THE HOUSE as members of our families is a way of ignoring the real
problem. YES, people are ignorant of what they are getting into when
they buy that cute $10 bunny. BUT, those same people are ignorant of
the FACT that neutering will stop that behavior. The humping, many
people can deal with, but the spraying... well, not too many of us enjoy
urine-stained furniture, clothing, & walls. Besides, many people
condemn their male cats to outdoor lives when they start spraying, &
that is common knowledge (so is it common knowledge that neutering cats
usually stops that behavior), so why not put the bunny outside, too?
Neutering is an *easy* way to stop that rather inappropriate behavior
(if your child was *spraying* in the house, it would indeed be
considered inappropriate... noone would consider neutering the kid, but
behavior modification is possible in a species with the capacity to
reason with humans).

Once again, noone is saying that YOU have to neuter your bunny. If you
can live with the hormonally-induced, unattractive behaviors, then more
power to you!! I just don't think I would really get a good impression
of rabbits as household pets, if I visited your house. BUT, neutering
is an option for those of us who do want a house-rabbit who will use his
litterbox, snuggle instead of hump, & binky instead of spray.

And don't forget those who would like to have 2 bunnies.... without the
prospect of babies. I have a male & female, & they are beyond words
adorable. They snuggle and live VERY fulfilled lives, use the
litterboxes consistently, & do NOT live in cages. It would be cruel , I
think to have an intact male & a spayed female... the hormones would be
very one-sided, and the female might indeed get tired of the humping,
just like we humans do.

And then, there is the situation I see daily at the shelter I volunteer
at: intact males & females living in side-by-side cages. They are ALL
highly sexually frustrated, as is evidenced by the furious digging & the
spraying. You cannot tell me that neutering them wouldn't be the kinder
thing to do.

If you think about it, any house-pet is a bit selfish. But, humans are
notoriously selfish.

--
"When a thing exists which you really abhor, I wish you would remember
a little whether in letting it strictly alone you are minding your own

BlitzACD

Dec 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/27/96

No benefit to the animal with neutering or spaying? It is documented, in
all species actually, that neutering and spaying helps to lessen the want
of fighting, lessens the chances of getting diseases and lessens the
chance of reproductive cancers. Most importantly it lessons the chances
of unwanted babies being born - why create more if they will just be
abused, neglected or killed? It is difficult to find decent homes for
rabbits, dogs, cats, etc (including unwanted children!) It seems to me
that men in general find it appalling to neuter a male animal. This is
putting human emotions into something that is not human. Why do men
relate to an animals reproductivity? Does a neutered pet make a man feel
less like a man? I don't see a connection. This natural thing - we bring
animals into our homes because we enjoy them and want them to live full
lives. To be fully natural we wouldn't bring these animals in. They
would not be domesticated. Neuter your animals and do them and yourself a
favor!!