AArrgh!!

Kimberly Landrum

May 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/8/96

My rabbit just chewed through another phone cord.
This time I was on the phone. This was the 4th cord
in the time Frank's been with us. My question is
does anyone know how to salvage the phone cord?
It's really long and I'd rather save it than throw it
away.

Thanks,

Kim! & Frank (just jealous, I'd like to use
the phone, too!)

A. Majack

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

On Wed, 8 May 1996 03:08:38 LOCAL, lan...@mail.sdsu.edu (Kimberly
Landrum) wrote:

>My rabbit just chewed through another phone cord.
>This time I was on the phone. This was the 4th cord
>in the time Frank's been with us. My question is
>does anyone know how to salvage the phone cord?
>It's really long and I'd rather save it than throw it
>away.

You can splice it, like you would a stereo wire, but it's more
difficult. If you don't know how to splice two wires you can e-mail
me, and I'll explain how. It may take you a couple of tries because
phone wire is really delicate, but it's better than having to buy a
new cord. Also phone cords carry an electric current, so you probably
want to do something to keep Frank from chewing on it. Wouldn't want
him to get hurt.
Anne

Victoria

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

Have you tried covering your phone cords with clear flexible plastic
tubing? You can get it at the hardware store and you can use a utility
knife to slice it lengthwise and then you just slip it on. In our bunny
area we have a portable and one phone up on a desk, but I slipped last
month with that one and Jack clipped through it with one bite. When I
replace it you can bet that wire will be covered!

In sympathy, Victoria

Elizabeth TeSelle

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96
to lan...@mail.sdsu.edu

lan...@mail.sdsu.edu (Kimberly Landrum) wrote:
>My rabbit just chewed through another phone cord.
>This time I was on the phone. This was the 4th cord
>in the time Frank's been with us. My question is
>does anyone know how to salvage the phone cord?
>It's really long and I'd rather save it than throw it
>away.

It's cheaper to buy a new one. But you also need to cover ALL your cords
-- phone and electrical -- with polyethelene tubing, or you may end up
with a dead rabbit and a burned-up house. Poly tubing is available at
home supply places (Home Depot, Lowes) in the plumbing or electrical
sections (varies). You get the white kind, not the clear kind, and slit
it all the way down its length with a utility knife, then pop the cord
in. Tape it with duct tape at the plug. Another option for some cords
is CordMold, which I love -- it's off-white and pre-slit, and it attaches
onto the wall above the baseboard with double-stick tape. Looks very
nice.

Spending a few hours bunny-proofing is much better than replacing cords
all the time and WAY, WAY better than losing your rabbit due to your
error.

Good luck --

Elizabeth

Greg Bullough

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

In article <landrum.15...@mail.sdsu.edu> lan...@mail.sdsu.edu (Kimberly Landrum) writes:
>My rabbit just chewed through another phone cord.
>This time I was on the phone. This was the 4th cord
>in the time Frank's been with us. My question is
>does anyone know how to salvage the phone cord?
>It's really long and I'd rather save it than throw it
>away.

To the cost of having rabbits roaming add:

Phones, cordless, (1-n): $20.00-$120.00

Greg

Anna-Maria Nordman MUSI

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

Well, that's life! I don't know why rabbits LOVE phone cords and electric
cords, but they sure do! Try to put the cord into something, a hose for
example. Make a cut with a sharp knife along the side of the hose, put in
the cord and close the opening with insulating tape. That will help, at least
for a time... :)
A-M and Minus (who has lost the count of things he has destroyed)

Kimberly Landrum (lan...@mail.sdsu.edu) wrote:
: My rabbit just chewed through another phone cord.

: This time I was on the phone. This was the 4th cord
: in the time Frank's been with us. My question is
: does anyone know how to salvage the phone cord?
: It's really long and I'd rather save it than throw it
: away.

:
: Thanks,

Miriam Olazabel

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Kimberly Landrum (lan...@mail.sdsu.edu) wrote:
: My rabbit just chewed through another phone cord.
: This time I was on the phone. This was the 4th cord
: in the time Frank's been with us. My question is
: does anyone know how to salvage the phone cord?
: It's really long and I'd rather save it than throw it
: away.

: Thanks,

: Kim! & Frank (just jealous, I'd like to use
: the phone, too!)

Hi Kim! and Frank (the omnivorous bunny)!!

Someone suggested that I use shower curtain rod covers. They are already
slit plus they come in assorted colors. I got get some. Chloe has chewed
my lamp cords, telephone cord, and cellular phone recharger cord,
etc.etc.etc.
\ / \ / || ||
(@@) (@@) (@@) (--)(--) (@@)
Moka, Chloe & Miriam Moka, Chloe & Miriam
watching the X-Files watching U2 videos
Miriam Olazabel
d028...@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us

Dana Flamenbaum

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

My 4 month old bunny is quite fond of wires too. (telephone,
electrical...you name it.) My big question is, how
DANGEROUS is this habbit of my furry friend?

Sure, buying new telephone wires and moving the bed to
check power lines is a pain in the butt-but not nearly as stress-
ful (or painful) as losing (another) bunny.

Although Nana is allowed free time to run, I fear letting her out
of sight for even a minute-as I am afraid of electrified bunny.
I would like to eventually let her have run of my home- for
more than a few minutes (or hours) at a time- and she is basically
good, but..........

Any input/suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks- 'nana's mom.

Howard Price

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Telephone wires probably carry too little current to hurt...

My question is, do they chew cords more when they're carring
electricity? If so, how do they sense it?

kri...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

Howard Price (hpr...@girch301.med.uth.tmc.edu) wrote:
: Telephone wires probably carry too little current to hurt...

How I wish that this were true, but it is NOT! When the phone is not in
use, or when a conversation is happening, the current is very low and
unlikely to do harm. HOWEVER, when the phone rings, a larger current is
passed, and can definitely do serious harm to the bunny that is in
contact with it via his little mouth! Trust me on this, I worked over
20yrs designing telephone systems and I KNOW!

Do whatever you can to get the cords up and out of reach, or cover them.
Apparently there are special wraps available from Radio Shack, etc.

You might also go to an electrical supply house and buy flexible metal
conduit. But for this you will have to take the cord off your appliance,
or the plug off the cord, thread it thru' the conduit and then reconnect.
This would be the most armor plating solution, tho' expensive and not
pretty. But then neither is a dead bun a pretty sight.

Even if the bun doesn't get hurt, or the cord is only frayed, you and
your entire household could end up in trouble if the frayed cord started
a fire. Better safe than sorry.

Now everybody go check each and every phone and electrical cord in the
house. Replace any damaged ones and protect them all one way or another
from future chewing.

Lynn
&
Plink (Yeah, she's a real safety nut! But you should've seen her jump
when she was putting in a new phone jack and the phone rang! Human binky!)
--
L D Bandura Edmonton, AB, Canada email:kri...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

J. Bergstrom

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

Miriam Olazabel wrote:

> Kimberly Landrum (lan...@mail.sdsu.edu) wrote:
> : My rabbit just chewed through another phone cord.
> : This time I was on the phone. This was the 4th cord
> : in the time Frank's been with us. My question is
> : does anyone know how to salvage the phone cord?
> : It's really long and I'd rather save it than throw it
> : away.

I can't tell you how to salvage that cord, but I discovered - after
Byte the Bunny chewed through my (VERY expensive PCMCIA) cord, that I
had just replaced after Brindle Bunny had done the same thing - that
screaming very loudly is cathartic.

Jerice

Troy Denkinger

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

Dana,

In article <4neilv$g...@madeline.INS.CWRU.Edu>, dx...@po.CWRU.Edu (Dana

Flamenbaum) wrote:
>My 4 month old bunny is quite fond of wires too. (telephone,
>electrical...you name it.) My big question is, how
>DANGEROUS is this habbit of my furry friend?

Yes it is dangerous. Not only is there the fear of electrical shock that
could kill, there is the danger of a whole lot of copper wire bits being
ingested. I know my own vet has seen one rabbit with this problem, and the
rabbit didn't live through it unfortunately.

Even phone cords, should your rabbit bite through or be chewing when the phone
rings, can electricute.

I have covered cords with hard plastic tubing that comes split and can be
found at large hardware stores. It's made for this very purpose. I know of
one of our adopters who actually rewired all of their appliances, lamps, etc
with heavy duty metal conduit to protect the cords inside.

Use the plastic; it's inexpensive and easy to do.

Good luck,

Troy