Pissed at my Linux newsreader, Sylpheed-claws

Cybe R. Wizard

Sep 20, 2006, 8:36:56 AM9/20/06

In the drop-down menu, "Tools," it says, "check for new messages in all
folders."
I /have/ new messages in all folders but haven't yet recieved a check.

What could possibly be wrong? Is it PEBKAC?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
"Wize(ned) Wizard," A.P.F-P-Y.

Pashkin Rob

Sep 20, 2006, 11:07:36 AM9/20/06
Scribbled on a tatty piece of sub-atomic ether,

Cybe R. Wizard at <Cybe_R_Wizard@WizardsTower> wrote:

> In the drop-down menu, "Tools," it says, "check for new messages in
> all folders."
> I /have/ new messages in all folders but haven't yet recieved a check.
>
> What could possibly be wrong? Is it PEBKAC?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

I just want a better newsreader than OE6. Any suggestions? It must be
free/shareware and have good filtering... I musta tried a good half dozen
different ones, and I didn't find anything useful.

Cybe R. Wizard

Sep 20, 2006, 12:14:29 PM9/20/06
"Pashkin Rob" <I.a...@home.net> said:
> I just want a better newsreader than OE6. Any suggestions? It must be
> free/shareware and have good filtering... I musta tried a good half
> dozen different ones, and I didn't find anything useful.

Is Free Agent still available?
<google, google>

"Free Agent

Forté has offered Free Agent for more than 10 years. With the release
of Agent 4.0 we have decided to retire Free Agent and focus on
providing Agent customers with exciting new features and timely
upgrades."

Nope, sorry, I haven't any other suggestions except Linux programs
which, sadly, you won't be able to use with Windows.

Unknown

Sep 20, 2006, 12:49:35 PM9/20/06
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:07:36 +0100, "Pashkin Rob" <I.a...@home.net>
wrote:

Overfield the netcop cunt.

Tim Jackson

Sep 20, 2006, 12:47:00 PM9/20/06
Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> "Pashkin Rob" <I.a...@home.net> said:
>
>>I just want a better newsreader than OE6. Any suggestions? It must be
>>free/shareware and have good filtering... I musta tried a good half
>>dozen different ones, and I didn't find anything useful.

What's wrong with Mozilla Thunderbird? It's free and it works OK.

Tim Jackson

Buff

Sep 20, 2006, 10:05:25 PM9/20/06
Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> In the drop-down menu, "Tools," it says, "check for new messages in
> all folders."
> I /have/ new messages in all folders but haven't yet recieved a check.
>
> What could possibly be wrong? Is it PEBKAC?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

This is a classic example of the English language corruption leading to
misinformation! "Check" is to revise and renew something ... "Cheque" is a
piece of paper worth money! LOL

--
Buff

Steve L Ferris

Sep 20, 2006, 10:57:57 PM9/20/06

One of the mysteries to me..

How do you spell chequeing account... or chequing account.. or....

steve

Cybe R. Wizard

Sep 20, 2006, 11:22:29 PM9/20/06

cybe@WizardsTower:~$ dict check
7 definitions found

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48
[gcide]:

Check \Check\ (ch[e^]k), n. [OE. chek, OF. eschec, F. ['e]chec,
a stop, hindrance, orig. check in the game of chess, pl.
['e]checs chess, through Ar., fr. Pers. sh[=a]h king. See
{Shah}, and cf. {Checkmate}, {Chess}, {Checker}.]
[...]
5. A written order directing a bank or banker to pay money as
therein stated. See {Bank check}, below.
[1913 Webster]
[...]
{Bank check}, a written order on a banker or broker to pay
money in his keeping belonging to the signer.

cybe@WizardsTower:~$ dict cheque
2 definitions found

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48
[gcide]:

Cheque \Cheque\ (ch[e^]k), n.
See {Check}.
[1913 Webster]

From WordNet (r) 2.0 (August 2003) [wn]:

cheque
n : a written order directing a bank to pay money; "he paid all
his bills by check" [syn: {check}, {bank check}]
v : withdraw money by writing a check [syn: {check out}]

Looks like both mean a paper instrument of financial transfer.

Then again, gcide is a work in progress and based on a 1913 US
dictionary. Your own dictionaries will probably differ there, eh?

What I want to know is why nobody has questioned PEBKAC yet.

Buff

Sep 20, 2006, 11:31:23 PM9/20/06

With the "e" in it ... I told you, it's English! Actually, I think it was
originally French, but the Poms adopt lots of things so I think it is /now/
English!

--
Buff

Buff

Sep 20, 2006, 11:35:12 PM9/20/06

OK ... I'll accept any paper money ... if you're offering. I won't care
whether it's a cheque or a check ...

> Then again, gcide is a work in progress and based on a 1913 US
> dictionary. Your own dictionaries will probably differ there, eh?

Yes ... although it depends on which one I use <g>

> What I want to know is why nobody has questioned PEBKAC yet.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Ahhhh .. I thought I'd be thought of a dumb if I asked? ;-)

--
Buff

Robb C. Overfield

Sep 21, 2006, 3:52:53 AM9/21/06
On a tatty piece of sub-ether Tim Jackson at t...@tim-jackson.co.uk
said...

I managed to get MicroPlanet Gravity v2.5 to work quite nicely, and
managed to get the filters going to my satisfaction too. I gather there
is an unofficial v2.6 out there but I'll stick with this for my text
based groups. For the binaries, I'll manage with OE...
--
Rob C Overfield
"Some people will do anything for the sheer fascination of doing it,

Tim Jackson

Sep 21, 2006, 4:00:31 AM9/21/06
Buff wrote:

> Steve L Ferris wrote:
>
>>How do you spell chequeing account... or chequing account.. or....
>>

> With the "e" in it ... I told you, it's English! Actually, I think it was
> originally French, but the Poms adopt lots of things so I think it is /now/
> English!

English? I don't think so. In England it is spelt "current account".
There is no verb "to cheque" in English. This is as far as I know an
American perversion, and so can be freely spelt the American way.

Tim

Buff

Sep 21, 2006, 5:07:02 AM9/21/06

Timothy, dear boy ... what do you call the little piece of paper that you
write on to /send/ money? You know, the "cheque is in the mail" thing??
Check or Cheque? Me ... my money is in my Cheque Account, according to my
Bank. Well ... at least, the amount they let me keep after all charges to
/keep/ the Cheque Account are taken out by the Bank. Bluidy Westpac!

--
Buff

Tim Jackson

Sep 21, 2006, 10:14:15 AM9/21/06
That is a *noun*, "a cheque". It can be used adjectivally as in "cheque
account". It isn't a verb, so one can't construct participles from it,
and "chequ(e)ing" isn't English as we know it. However "checking
account" is perfectly valid American English AFAIK, but means "auditing"
in English English. In American it seems that almost any noun can be
used as a verb.

Some of my money is in a current account, on which I can draw cheques.
Some is in a savings account, where I can only make transfers to and
from my current account. Both pay *me* for keeping my money there, but
the saving account pays more.

Tim

Jeanie

Sep 21, 2006, 12:27:26 PM9/21/06

I think in the term "checking account" the word checking is an adjective,
refering to the type of account that it is. Using "check" and "checking" as
a verb would be phrased "checking an account" or "check the account." We
write a check (refering to the little piece of paper). I personally have
never heard another American use the words "cheque" or "chequeing."

Jeanie

Tim Jackson

Sep 21, 2006, 5:31:40 PM9/21/06
Jeanie wrote:
> Tim Jackson wrote:
>
>>Buff wrote:

>>>Timothy, dear boy ... what do you call the little piece of paper
>>>that you write on to /send/ money? You know, the "cheque is in the
>>>mail" thing?? Check or Cheque? Me ... my money is in my Cheque
>>>Account, according to my Bank.

>>That is a *noun*, "a cheque". It can be used adjectivally as in
>>"cheque account". It isn't a verb, so one can't construct
>>participles from it, and "chequ(e)ing" isn't English as we know it.
>>However "checking account" is perfectly valid American English AFAIK,
>>but means "auditing" in English English. In American it seems that
>>almost any noun can be used as a verb.
>>

> I think in the term "checking account" the word checking is an adjective,
> refering to the type of account that it is. Using "check" and "checking" as
> a verb would be phrased "checking an account" or "check the account." We
> write a check (refering to the little piece of paper). I personally have
> never heard another American use the words "cheque" or "chequeing."
>
> Jeanie

Almost anything ending in -ing is a present participle (apart from short
words like thing, ping, etc). A participle is indeed grammatically an
adjective, but it is a tense of a verb, formed by adding -ing to the
infinitive of the verb.

An example where the verb is also a noun would be "whipping cream"
(although it would have little to do with an actual whip), whereas
"pouring cream" does not imply the existence of a noun "a pour". In
both cases the adjective is a participle referring to he action (verb)
expected to be performed on the cream.

This implies that when you use a checking account, you check: I check,
You check, He She or It checks, I checked, I have checked, I am checking
etc., a verb referring to the process of transfer of promissory notes.

I agree that Americans do not use the spelling "cheque". I also
maintain that the English do not use the verb "to cheque" at all.

Therefore the question of how one spells "chequeing" cannot be answered
on the basis that it is an English word. It is probably an Australian
derivation from the American usage and the English spelling.

Tim

Michael Hudson

Sep 21, 2006, 6:49:54 PM9/21/06
In article <451304bc$0$2692$ed26...@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
Tim Jackson <t...@tim-jackson.co.uk> wrote:

Nope, you all got it wrong. These days it's called a debit card and
the bank pays my bills with fund transfers. I still have a checkbook
but I think I've written three this year.

Checking is what hockey players do to each other.

Later
Mike

--
"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical
atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is

Cybe R. Wizard

Sep 21, 2006, 8:52:46 PM9/21/06
/Everyone/ has it wrong; checking is what one does out to girls.
In fact, over my right shoulder I'm checking one out right now.

Buff

Sep 22, 2006, 12:06:48 AM9/22/06

Gotcha! Sorry ... I agree with the verbalisation (???) of nouns by the
Americans, but I thought (and I should have read it a bit more!) you were
saying that "Check" was the bit of paper ...

Me bad (and silly and careless and suffering Senior moments these days)

--
Buff

Buff

Sep 22, 2006, 12:10:04 AM9/22/06

You're a bloody *English teacher*, aren't you??? LOL You're even more
pernickerty than I am ...

--
Buff

Tim Jackson

Sep 23, 2006, 5:30:54 AM9/23/06
Buff wrote:

> You're a bloody *English teacher*, aren't you??? LOL You're even more
> pernickerty than I am ...

No, a one-time technical author & editor. I did an awful lot of proof
reading in those days. But I do admit to coming from a family with a
strong tendency towards the teaching profession.

Tim

Buff

Sep 24, 2006, 12:45:49 AM9/24/06

I know the feeling! <g>