Myself

Paul Austin

Sep 5, 2003, 10:59:30 PM9/5/03
There's a new affectation sweeping the nation, the faux genteel
"please call myself when you get a chance..."

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam

Sep 5, 2003, 11:10:22 PM9/5/03
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:59:30 -0400, something compelled "Paul
Austin" <pfau...@bellsouth.net>, to say:

>There's a new affectation sweeping the nation, the faux genteel
>"please call myself when you get a chance..."

I don't think I know anyone who would say that.

This is not a peeve.

rhymewriter

Sep 5, 2003, 11:11:37 PM9/5/03

No. God, no.

If anyone says this to me I swear I'll cut his tongue out and nail it
to his forehead.

{ Kindly remove your hat before replying }

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam

Sep 6, 2003, 10:36:20 AM9/6/03
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 06:51:59 -0500, something compelled Peggy
Currid <cur...@tele.com>, to say:

>I don't hear it, either. But frequently I *do* hear or read it used in
>sentences with a compound object: "If you have any more questions, please
>contact Bob or myself."

Somehow that doesn't jar quite so much. Not at all, in fact. I
don't know if that's because I've heard it so often that it
sounds right to me, or if it's actually the proper use of the
language. "Bob or me" is simpler; perhaps I'll try to use it
from now on.

>Peeve: Lately I've been seeing titles in which the word "using" isn't
>capitalized, as in: "Discovery and Negotiation using Genetic Algorithms."

It's verbism, I tell ya'.

Nathan Nagel

Sep 6, 2003, 12:06:57 PM9/6/03
Paul Austin wrote:

> There's a new affectation sweeping the nation, the faux genteel
> "please call myself when you get a chance..."

I don't think I've ever heard that... is that some sort of
bastardization related to the use of "himself" or "herself" as
subjective?

nate

Paul Austin

Sep 6, 2003, 4:10:49 PM9/6/03

"Peggy Currid" wrote

> Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam wrote:
>
> > "Paul Austin" to say:

> >>There's a new affectation sweeping the nation, the faux genteel
> >>"please call myself when you get a chance..."
> >
> > I don't think I know anyone who would say that.
> >
> > This is not a peeve.
>
> I don't hear it, either. But frequently I *do* hear or read it used
in
> sentences with a compound object: "If you have any more questions,
please
> contact Bob or myself."

I first heard it this week on our answering machine, then on the radio
(approximately) "Dear Miss Manners, myself and my three girlfriends
are playing buff the muffin this weekend and we'd like to know who's
supposed to peel and slice the cucumbers for salad afterwards?"

Paul Austin

Sep 6, 2003, 4:13:39 PM9/6/03

"Nathan Nagel" wrote

My tom cat is Himself but he doesn't insist on an obeisance, just a
belly scratch.

Goethe Helen Waite

Sep 6, 2003, 5:21:32 PM9/6/03
In article <Oer6b.817$E6....@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,

Calling one's companion Himself or Herself is an old Irish usage.

I used to call my very demanding old cat Herself, but the new young
cat is not Himself. He has not slowed down enough to exhibit much
personality and has not learned that meowing has anything to do with
food. (Thank God. I'd like to keep it that way, too.)

ObPeeve: Here we go, drifting to housepets.

--
"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics - even
if you win you're still retarded."

Deirdre Sholto-Douglas

Sep 6, 2003, 6:30:13 PM9/6/03

Goethe Helen Waite wrote:

> I used to call my very demanding old cat Herself, but the new young
> cat is not Himself. He has not slowed down enough to exhibit much
> personality and has not learned that meowing has anything to do with
> food. (Thank God. I'd like to keep it that way, too.)

Mine are convinced there's a correlation, but they're
having a hard time with it since their bipedal, pink
servant obviously takes no pride in her work.

It's so hard to find good help these days.

> ObPeeve: Here we go, drifting to housepets.

You'd prefer firearms and exhaust systems?

Deirdre

Le Grande Raoul

Sep 6, 2003, 7:46:43 PM9/6/03
In article <3F5A5FF4...@rcn.com>, Deirdre Sholto-Douglas
<finch.e...@rcn.com> wrote:

Or Knives! Yes, Knives. And cool tools!

Just bought two old wood planes- a small finger plane and a 8 inch jack
plane. $5 for the smaller, $14 for the larger.

ObThread: I shall name the smaller, "Weenie" and the larger, "Himself".

raoul

> Deirdre

Paul Austin

Sep 6, 2003, 8:04:54 PM9/6/03

"Goethe Helen Waite" wrote

> Paul Austin wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't think I've ever heard that... is that some sort of
> >> bastardization related to the use of "himself" or "herself" as
> >> subjective?
> >
> >My tom cat is Himself but he doesn't insist on an obeisance, just a
> >belly scratch.
> >

> Calling one's companion Himself or Herself is an old Irish usage.
>
> I used to call my very demanding old cat Herself, but the new young
> cat is not Himself. He has not slowed down enough to exhibit much
> personality and has not learned that meowing has anything to do with
> food. (Thank God. I'd like to keep it that way, too.)
>
> ObPeeve: Here we go, drifting to housepets.

Anyone have any ideas about the etymology of Himself? It's alway
seemed odd to me. In a related (non-pussycat) offshoot, I remember
reading that the construction on to be used by American Blacks ("Jim
be gone") is 17th century Irish English.

Paul Austin

Sep 6, 2003, 8:08:21 PM9/6/03

"Deirdre Sholto-Douglas" wrote

Pussycats driving a glasspacked 289 Cobra, shooting roadsigns with a
Remington pump...

Rich

Sep 6, 2003, 9:50:09 PM9/6/03
rhymewriter <rhymewrit...@hotmailyourhat.com> wrote in

> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:59:30 -0400, "Paul Austin"
> <pfau...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>There's a new affectation sweeping the nation, the faux genteel
>>"please call myself when you get a chance..."
>>

> No. God, no.
>
> If anyone says this to me I swear I'll cut his tongue out and nail it
> to his forehead.

Better than that. I got an email memo yesterday that simply said "If you
have any questions, please contact myself at the below number..."

Too bad he's several layers up the food chain. And has the keys to the
door I'd like to get my foot in next. Can I live with myself [note the
correct usage] if I ignore this egregious violation of grammar?

Rodger Whitlock

Sep 7, 2003, 12:32:33 PM9/7/03
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 20:04:54 -0400, Paul Austin wrote:

> ...In a related (non-pussycat) offshoot, I remember

> reading that the construction on to be used by American Blacks ("Jim
> be gone") is 17th century Irish English.

Meow. Ya gotta beware such commentary. It's one thing to find
that both AB's and 17CIrish used the same construction, it's
quite another to demonstrate that the one group owed their use of
it to the other.

IIRC, imported slaves from a given tribe were, as far as
possible, separated from their tribesmen and mixed with imports
from other tribes speaking other languages. The purpose was to
prevent communication in their native languages, as an
anti-uprising measure. They had to develop a pidgin to manage
their affairs -- and modern AB dialect owes some of its features
to the pidginization/creolization process. (I always get these
mixed up so anyone who thinks I'm confused can bite me.)

Linguistic studies have shown that creoles, no matter what the
base language, have remarkably similar grammars, and "Jim be
gone" could have easily arisen in this context.

Perhaps the same construction in the Irish is traceable to the
imposition of English on *them* and the same linguistic process
being followed.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Paul Austin

Sep 7, 2003, 6:31:42 PM9/7/03

"Rodger Whitlock" <totototo...@mail.pacificcoast.invalid> wrote
in message news:3f5b5c3d...@news.newsguy.com...

And an alternative explanation might revolve around Irish transportees
sent to...Georgia and other Southern colonies where they had contact
with new-caught slaves who spoke no English at all.

Rich

Sep 7, 2003, 7:14:53 PM9/7/03
Peggy Currid <cur...@tele.com> wrote in

> Of course, the subtlety of that approach might be lost on some people.

Based on the results I've gotten with that approach in the past (and don't
think I haven't tried) I'd hazard a guess you should substitute "most" for
"some."

More's the pity.

Roy G. Ovrebo

Sep 7, 2003, 9:05:38 PM9/7/03

I've been somewhat involved in training at work, and I say you're right.

Some people will be watching for ways to do things right.
Those people are cool to work with.

Most people will be doing things wrongly - until it's pointed out to them.
Some of these are grateful, others grumble about it.

Some people will do things wrongly - until you get them to repeat word for
word the right way to do it, possibly by garrotting them slowly.
Those people are cattle. (See also: cow-orker)

Anyone who is able to compose a phrase like 'contact Bob or myself' is
likely to belong to that third group.

--
Roy

Goethe Helen Waite

Sep 7, 2003, 11:13:14 PM9/7/03
In article <3F5A5FF4...@rcn.com>,

Deirdre Sholto-Douglas <finch.e...@rcn.com> wrote:

>Goethe Helen Waite wrote:
>
>> ObPeeve: Here we go, drifting to housepets.
>
>You'd prefer firearms and exhaust systems?

Shh!