CAPS LOCK

Johnny Zweig

Oct 31, 1989, 10:26:39 PM10/31/89
I don't know why it hasn't made it to alt.peeves yet, but one of my most
cherished and encouraged pet-peeves is the existence of such a useless,
stupid, nasty, treacherous and evil menace to the progress of humankind
is the CAPS LOCK KEY.

Anyone who has used vi will know that there is no easier way to fuck
up a document than to JJJJJ when you meant to jjjjj. And then there's
those times whEN YOU ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE SONOFABITCH IN THE MIDDLE OF
A SENTENCE. Or if you program in a language other than FORTRAN. Or if
you want to type command names in UNIX. Or.....

In my estimation, the only sensible place for a Caps Lock key would be in
a fairly deeply recessed hole in the back of the monitor, or, preferably,
in another room altogether.

I mean, what the hell is the point of equipping every goddamn keyboard on
the planet with a key that is only used deliberately about 1% of the
times it gets hit? Why not just a "Fuck Things Up Randomly" key? What kind
of stupid moron jackass would sell a piece of equipment with anything so
thoroughly evil right there on the important part? And while I'm in a mood
to name names, I think Sun should be shot for not only having this
abomination in the sight of the Lord on every keyboard, but it doesn't have
tactile-feedback (i.e. click-down/click-up like sensible keyboards), has
no LED to notify the unsuspecting typist of the shit s/he's just gotten
him/herself into. Just because they have nice workstations, people are willing
to put up with this nonsense. Christ! What the hell kind of twisted mind
would perpetrate a crime of such immense proportions on an unsuspecting
public? I suspect Foul Play, and corruption and treachery at very high
levels.

Then again, I just tell my Xdesktop to change the keyboard-mapping to return
to God's cherished mode in which hitting that stupid little fucker DOES
NOTHING AT ALL. SEE HOW NICE IT IS?

-Johnny When-I-want-caps-I'll-hit-the-fucking-Shift-key

Christopher K Davis

Oct 31, 1989, 11:06:01 PM10/31/89

Johnny> I don't know why it hasn't made it to alt.peeves yet, but one of my
Johnny> most cherished and encouraged pet-peeves is the existence of such a
Johnny> useless, stupid, nasty, treacherous and evil menace to the progress
Johnny> of humankind is the CAPS LOCK KEY.

You think *that's* bad? Try the SHIFT LOCK key on an IBM 3278... it's got
this cute little lock on it... and you don't unlock it by hitting it again,
no sir, no way, you hit the SHIFT key, just like a typewriter. Of course,
by this time it's turned my account number into SMGHY^C, right? Argh.
Another reason to hate IBM.

Johnny> Anyone who has used vi will know that there is no easier way to fuck
Johnny> up a document than to JJJJJ when you meant to jjjjj.

vi is a peeve unto itself, for me. Of course, there's a related category:
"people who use vi when they could be using emacs." :-)

Johnny> -Johnny When-I-want-caps-I'll-hit-the-fucking-Shift-key
--
Christopher Davis, BU SMG '90 <c...@bu-pub.bu.edu> <smg...@buacca.bitnet>
"Technology is dominated by those who manage what they do not understand."

David C Lawrence

Oct 31, 1989, 11:48:17 PM10/31/89
In <41...@bu-cs.BU.EDU> c...@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher K Davis) writes:
Chris> You think *that's* bad? Try the SHIFT LOCK key on an IBM
Chris> 3278... it's got this cute little lock on it... and you don't
Chris> unlock it by hitting it again, no sir, no way, you hit the
Chris> SHIFT key, just like a typewriter. Of course, by this time
Chris> it's turned my account number into SMGHY^C, right? Argh.

Not only that, it works even more like a real shift-lock; it does the
whole keyboard rather than just alphabetic characters.

I really loved that feature when I couldn't figure out how come our
3090 was rejecting my password. Since it has some digits in it, the
shift-lock was turning them into other symbols. Bleah.

Dave
--
(setq mail '("ta...@pawl.rpi.edu" "ta...@ai.mit.edu" "ta...@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

Doug Perlich

Nov 2, 1989, 5:04:30 PM11/2/89
In article <41...@bu-cs.BU.EDU> c...@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher K Davis) writes:
>Johnny> Anyone who has used vi will know that there is no easier way to fuck
>Johnny> up a document than to JJJJJ when you meant to jjjjj.
>vi is a peeve unto itself, for me. Of course, there's a related category:
>"people who use vi when they could be using emacs." :-)

emacs sucks, vi is cool. And don't argue. :-)

-Doug

Phillip Garding

Nov 2, 1989, 11:08:45 AM11/2/89
Well, the previous poster certainly had a picturesque way of communicating
his frustration, eh?

I must agree, in part. The CAPS LOCK key is seldom used by most typists,
and certainly even less by others who use computers. Why are keyboard
manufacturers putting the CAPS LOCK key in a prime use position??? In
particular, why is where the CONTROL key has traditionally been?? The
CONTROL key is now either on the far side of the CAPS LOCK lock, or below
the shift key, which is not a comfortable reach for my little finger, thank
you. Of course, moving the CONTROL key below the shift key pushes the ALT
key toward the shift bar, making it harder to hit. All so that the CAPS
LOCK is more easily accessable. Which is more important, getting to the
CAPS LOCK or getting to the CONTROL and ALT keys?

That is why I use a TSR on my Compaq to rebind the CAPS LOCK to another
CONTROL key. I don't know what I'm going to do when I start using OS/2
(in a couple of days). I guess I'll have to adapt, and that is really a
peeve.

You can call me Phil or you can call me Phillip or you can call me
Phillip Garding, but you doesn't have to call me phillipg@microsoft.

Scott Yelich

Nov 1, 1989, 7:06:38 PM11/1/89
> I don't know why it hasn't made it to alt.peeves yet, but one of my most
> cherished and encouraged pet-peeves is the existence of such a useless,
> stupid, nasty, treacherous and evil menace to the progress of humankind
> is the CAPS LOCK KEY.
>
> Then again, I just tell my Xdesktop to change the keyboard-mapping to return
> to God's cherished mode in which hitting that stupid little fucker DOES
> NOTHING AT ALL. SEE HOW NICE IT IS?

It is good that you use X...
find some poor soul that is still using sunview and press the F1 key AND
press the Caps key.

They will most likely have to call for help.
(This is especially great if the person does not have HEADER bars... and/or
if the person has never seen this done before)

Scott D. Yelich sc...@cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''

Joe Wells

Nov 5, 1989, 8:26:54 PM11/5/89
In article <6...@cogent.UUCP> do...@cogent.UUCP (Doug Perlich) writes:

emacs sucks, vi is cool. And don't argue. :-)

-Doug

Emacs is a way of life. VI is an editor. They're not in the same class.

--
Joe Wells <j...@bucsf.bu.edu>
jbw%bucsf....@bu-it.bu.edu

Kenny Crudup

Nov 6, 1989, 10:12:58 AM11/6/89
In article <JBW.89No...@bucsf.bu.edu> j...@bucsf.bu.edu (Joe Wells) says:
>Emacs is a way of life. VI is an editor. They're not in the same class.

Jonestown was a way of life. Baptism is a religion. They're not in the same
class.

--
Kenneth R. Crudup, Contractor, Interactive Systems Co.(386/ix), Cambridge MA
I can't feel that great about a state whose first letters are "massa"....

James D. Oliver III

Nov 10, 1989, 5:29:09 PM11/10/89
In article <15...@haddock.ima.isc.com>, ke...@haddock.ima.isc.com (Kenny
Crudup) writes:
>Jonestown was a way of life. Baptism is a religion. They're not in the same
>class.

Baptism is a ceremony. Baptist is a denomination. You need to go back to
class.

(Hey, Kenny, how come I always run into you in the fringe newsgroups?
We just started getting this alt.peeves stuff. What a howl! Much better
than alt.flame.)
Jim Oliver
oli...@athena.mit.edu
oliver%mitwccf...@MITVMA.MIT.EDU