32 month old urinating in his room! HELP!

Stardanser

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
Although my son is potty trained he has been peeing in his room either at
night or when he gets sent to his room for punishment. I am sick of spot
cleaning the carpet daily. Does anyone have suggestions on how to break him
of this?

Tessa
Mother to Jacob, 12/13/97; Kiersten, 05/30/99; and Cordele, 8/1/00

jennifer

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
Put the potty in his room?

Mike and Sharon Hays

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00

Stardanser <ju...@gte.net> wrote in message

> Although my son is potty trained he has been peeing in his room either at
> night or when he gets sent to his room for punishment. I am sick of spot
> cleaning the carpet daily. Does anyone have suggestions on how to break
him
> of this?
>
> Tessa
> Mother to Jacob, 12/13/97; Kiersten, 05/30/99; and Cordele, 8/1/00

Make him clean it. He is old enough to put a paper towel down and step on
it till it soaks up all the urine. He is old enough to spray some cleaner
on the carpet and blot that out too. Don't make it a punishment sort of
thing. Just a consequence of his own actions. If he spilled juice, you
would ask him to wipe it up. If he strung toys all over the living room, he
would be expected to pick them up. Treat this the same way. Remind him
that pee goes in the toilet. But it sounds like he is doing it as a spite
sort of thing and not an accident. (especially when he does it during a
time out.) Once he realizes he is going to have to do the clean up job, he
may stop on his own. We did this for potty accidents when we were potty
training both kids. Worked really well.

Too you might think about moving his time out spot to a common area of the
house. I know you want to isolate him for the time out. But if he is just
in a corner of the living room or where ever you are in the house, I would
bet he wouldn't try it there. He is out of Mom's sight when he does it now.
He would most likely not be bold enough to do it if he was within your
eyesight. And too if he tried it, you would see him moving his clothes out
of the way in time to tell him to stop.

Good luck!

Sharon

JT

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
Stardanser wrote:

> Although my son is potty trained he has been peeing in his room either at
> night or when he gets sent to his room for punishment. I am sick of spot
> cleaning the carpet daily. Does anyone have suggestions on how to break him
> of this?

32 months? Why not say "almost 3"? He can clean it up himself.

-- Jack Tarkaan -- mailto:tar...@bigfoot.com
-- Return address intentionally broken. Remove NOSPAM to reply.

TwinMom

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
We did this (actually still do!) for potty accidents. The last time, one of
the boys said it was "gross" and I told him that I thought so too and I
certainly didn't like cleaning up somebody else's urine. The bathroom has
been much cleaner (well, as good as can be expected with 4 yo's!) ever
since - no more peeing on the floor. ~L

"Mike and Sharon Hays" <NOhays...@aye.net> wrote in message

> Stardanser <ju...@gte.net> wrote in message

> > Although my son is potty trained he has been peeing in his room either
at
> > night or when he gets sent to his room for punishment. I am sick of
spot
> > cleaning the carpet daily. Does anyone have suggestions on how to break
> him
> > of this?

Christie Prentice

Aug 28, 2000, 8:07:40 PM8/28/00

Stardanser <ju...@gte.net> wrote in message
> Although my son is potty trained he has been peeing in his room either at
> night or when he gets sent to his room for punishment. I am sick of spot
> cleaning the carpet daily. Does anyone have suggestions on how to break
him
> of this?

We went through this too, with night time wettings and peeing on the floor
and in clothes and we did a combination of those things as well as
minimizing the attention he got after an accident... he still has his potty
in his room, and if he can't get all the way to the bathroom he uses it, but
we ask/help him to dump it after too, and we put baby decorated sheets on
his big boy bed one week when both his were soiled- which he did not like...
it is livable, not perfect yet, but what is three months in the grand scheme
of things!

Christie

Sarah

Aug 28, 2000, 11:33:07 PM8/28/00

JT <tarkaan...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> Stardanser wrote:
> >
> > Although my son is potty trained he has been peeing in his room either
at
> > night or when he gets sent to his room for punishment. I am sick of
spot
> > cleaning the carpet daily. Does anyone have suggestions on how to break
him
> > of this?
>
> 32 months? Why not say "almost 3"? He can clean it up himself.
>
> -- Jack Tarkaan -- mailto:tar...@bigfoot.com
> -- Return address intentionally broken. Remove NOSPAM to reply.

I was doing the math in my head right when I read your post.......no doubt
huh....*S*

Sarah

mElmo

Aug 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/29/00
SOunds like you've already broken him quite well, if he's peeing when
disciplined. Pretty sad. He's not a dog, not that treating a dog like this
is any better either. You've turned your child into a submissive peer.

AJPDLA

"Stardanser" <ju...@gte.net> wrote in message

> Although my son is potty trained he has been peeing in his room either at
> night or when he gets sent to his room for punishment. I am sick of spot
> cleaning the carpet daily. Does anyone have suggestions on how to break
him
> of this?

mElmo

Aug 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/29/00
"JT" <tarkaan...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Stardanser wrote:
> >
> > Although my son is potty trained he has been peeing in his room either
at
> > night or when he gets sent to his room for punishment. I am sick of
spot
> > cleaning the carpet daily. Does anyone have suggestions on how to break
him
> > of this?
>
> 32 months? Why not say "almost 3"? He can clean it up himself.
>
> -- Jack Tarkaan -- mailto:tar...@bigfoot.com
> -- Return address intentionally broken. Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Totally.

Rowyn Wood

Sep 1, 2000, 10:41:54 PM9/1/00
>But it sounds like he is doing it as a spite
> sort of thing and not an accident. (especially when he does it during a
> time out.)

When I was at least 4 (I don't remember how long this went on) I wet the bed
at night (or peed my pants) because there was a table of plants outside my
room and I was afraid to go by them to go to the bathroom.

When I was 5 or 6 I also wet the bed because my dad remarried a bitch (sorry
to be so blunt) and if I had to go and she was still up I would have to walk
by her to go to the bathroom and I was more afraid of that than of wetting
the bed (I always hoped I'd somehow get away with it)

Maybe he's afraid? Or a deep sleeper? There are plenty of children who are
potty trained during the day but take much longer for night time training.

He may pee in the bedroom when sent there for punishment because he's afraid
to ask to go to the washroom or thinks he's not allowed out and does not
have the control to hold it? Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious to
children, especially little ones. Is he upset during these times? This may
also make him have to go.

In my opinion, your lucky that he's potty trained at his age. Especially
being a boy, who are supposed to be a little slower at it. I had one
daughter who was trained on her 2nd birthday so expected the same from my
second. She will be 3 the end of Sept. and she just peed in her doll little
carriage yesterday (a first and only I hope, but call me sick, I thought it
was kind of funny in an ironic sort of way.) But seriously, she's still not
trained although I've pulled my hair out and I know she knows what she
should do. Very slowly she's getting better. Many people say don't expect
perfection until they're at least 3. (Speaking of lucky, I have a niece who
was a holy terror and once she pooped on the bathroom counter on everybody's
toothbrushes. No, she's not spiteful or retarded, she's 8 now and a perfect
little lady.)

Maybe the potty in the bedroom is a good idea. There is a potty training
newsgroup or bb somewhere I could try to look up if anyone is interested.

Peace be with you,
Rowyn

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Villa/6347
Reiki, Parenthood, Books