Who is Glenn Campbell? (Repost part 1, to understand Huff's response)

Gene Huff

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

From: gu...@ix.netcom.com(Gene Huff)
Newsgroups: alt.conspiracy.area51,alt.paranet.ufo,alt.alien.visitors
Subject: Who is Glenn Campbell? (Repost so you know what Gene Huff is
talking about)

Who Is Glenn Campbell?
by Marsha Spader

My investigation of Glenn Campbell began with speaking with most
of the players in this story (Glenn Campbell included) and has taken
quite a long time to complete. It turned out to be much more deeply
involved than I originally anticipated. Glenn Campbell's behavior
reflected some very deep problems so, for those of you who are short on
time, here's the short course:

Is Glenn Campbell a paid government disinformation agent as Huff /
Lazar's web page hints to? Absolutely not, and you're insulting the
U. S. Government by suggesting such a thing.

Is Glenn Campbell a stalker? He certainly meets the criteria for one.

Is Glenn Campbell a child molester? He certainly meets the criteria for
one. Is Glenn Campbell the unofficial spokesperson for Area 51 and the
librarian of ufology? Only in the cyberworld he's created and
"lie"brarian would be much more apropos.

The long course follows:

Ufology in the 1990s

To understand the real story surrounding Glenn Campbell, one needs to
know the recent history of the Bob Lazar story.

As the story goes, in 1989, Lazar went public with the fact that
he had been part of a team that had "back engineered" ET craft at a
base known as S4, some 15 miles south of Area 51 at Groom Lake, Nevada.
Lazar went public, on television, to protect himself from
oppressive security agents who were harassing him after his security
clearance had been revoked due to some circumstances in Lazar's
personal life. By going public, Lazar forced the U. S. Government to
adopt a "hands off" policy regarding Lazar since incarcerating him or
killing him would confirm Lazar's allegations.

George Knapp, a news anchor at the CBS affiliate in Las Vegas,
broadcast Lazar's story on the evening news. Excerpts from that
broadcast were picked up all over the United States and in numerous
foreign countries.

Mainly due to Knapp's efforts with Lazar, "ufology" exploded into the
mainstream. Tour buses carried people from all over this planet to the
outskirts of Area 51 so visitors could take their chances on viewing on
of Lazar's "flying discs" in the night sky. The only business in
Rachel, Nevada, the rural town closest to Area 51, changed it's name
from the Rachel Bar and Grill to The Little Ale' Inn. The owners, Pat
and Joe Travis, became gracious hosts to the worlds' travelers.

In the early 1990s, The Little Ale' Inn was the site of numerous UFO
conventions. UFO researchers, like chemist Gary Schulz, pioneered
climbs into the mountains surrounding the Area 51/Groom Lake area and
found legal vantage points where visiting hikers could view the Area 51
base. Once Schulz's efforts became known, scores of people followed in
his path. A UFO researcher/writer named Sean Morton would later lead
guided tours into the mountains so the visitors could view the base and
the night sky. Rachel, Nevada had become the Mecca of ufology and the
hundreds, maybe thousands, of signatures in Pat and Joe Travis's guest
book included people from all over the world.

Enter Campbell

By 1993 a new visitor arrived named, Glenn Campbell. Campbell took a
room in one of the mobile homes rented as motel rooms by Pat and Joe
Travis. Campbell, an odd looking, odd sounding, bespectacled, balding,
little guy said he had come there specifically because of Bob Lazar.
Pat and Joe befriended him as they do any of their customers and they
allowed him to spend time in their bar. Campbell claimed to be a
computer programmer from the Boston area who had sold some product back
east and acquired stocks/annuities which allowed him some minimal
financial freedom.

Campbell seemed to have no ties from Boston. According to people at the
Little Ale' Inn, Campbell seemed to have no friends or family who
really cared that he had moved some 3,000 miles out into the middle of
the Nevada desert. He received little mail and no phone calls and
seemed to be a sad little man. His only friend was his computer and he
kept a lap top with him at all times. Soon, those in Rachel would know
why.

It didn't take Campbell long to see what he had happened upon. A
perpetual stream of visitors, some of them media, from around the world
would show up weekly, if not daily, at the Little Ale' Inn. None of
these people knew that Campbell was just a visitor who didn't know
anything about Nevada or UFOs and Campbell began testing the water like
the true con man he is. He drove the dirt roads out in that area and
hiked the trails into the mountains that Gary Schulz and Sean Morton
had pioneered. Campbell then started parroting the commentary and
insight from more knowledgeable people such as Bob Lazar, George Knapp,
Lazar's friend and business partner Gene Huff, and UFO researcher John
Lear.

After Campbell became more adept at mimicking his idol, Bob Lazar, he
typed up a primitive book called the "Area 51 Viewer's Guide". The book
was filled with simple drawings of the dirt roads in the area, as well
as commentary from those actually involved with ufology, and Campbell
was allowed to sell the book at the Little Ale' Inn. Campbell then took
over Sean Morton's role of hiking up into the mountains with the
endless stream of visitors. During these hikes Campbell would fill the
visitors heads with valid commentary and insight he had remembered from
those more knowledgeable than he, and the unsuspecting visitors thought
this was original thought on Campbell's part. The undeserved respect
that Campbell's unwitting hikers gave him actually bolstered the
confidence of this sad little man that had been socially and sexually
rejected during the course of his life. His future writings would
confirm that.

Campbell's new found confidence went to his head and he became more and
more obnoxious and insufferably cocky. His harsh criticisms of everyone
and everything caused Campbell to be kicked out of the Little Ale' Inn
as the customers couldn't stand to be around him. He was obviously
bitter about his life and he lashed out at all. Now that he had finally
gotten some respect, it was time for him to pay back every jock who had
ever "pantsed" him and every girl who had laughed at him as he walked
by. His behavior was reminiscent of a comedy skit by comedian Steve
Martin in which Martin portrayed the Elephant Guy. It was a parody on
the Elephant Man in which the Elephant Man had gotten too much
attention and was walking around in a smoking jacket thinking that he
was cool, while forgetting that he was a repulsive aberration. This was
exactly what had happened to Campbell. He was a laughing stock and
didn't know it. Unfortunately, neither did the visiting tour groups and
media.

After being barred from the Little Ale' Inn, Campbell rented a single
wide trailer in Rachel and put a makeshift sign outside which read,
"Area 51 Research Center". Campbell was there with his only friend, his
computer, and he typed away creating a cyberworld in which he was the
central cog. This is a common by-product of lonely people, many
literally rejects, as they spend much of their time writing in journals
and diaries. When they've seen extensive evidence that they are nothing
special, they tend to create a scenario in which they can be, and this
is exactly what Campbell did.

As time wore on, Campbell called himself "Psychospy" which was
partially appropriate. He had nothing to do with spying, but he proved
to be much more than a simple psycho. He even put the Psychospy name on
his letterhead. He also started the Area 51 Oversight Council and
ultimately labeled himself the Director of the Area 51 Research center.
He wrote articles about Glenn Campbell, Psychospy, the "Director", the
"Webmaster", and a host of other names. All of these names were simply
him. One lonely little oddball, creating characters and dialogues and
filling a non-existent cyberworld in which he was the king. He
ultimately created his "Desert Rat Newsletter" and later went on line
with a web page. He could not compete on the Usenet groups as people
quickly saw that he had no firsthand knowledge of anything. Campbell
would later only write articles on his web page so he could censor the
mail and make it filled with people applauding him. The real email was
not so supportive. He perpetually parroted the original thoughts and
observations of Lazar, Knapp, Huff, Lear, and many others, but as
these people were not on line in the cyberworld, none of the readers
knew that it was all a farce.

One of Campbell's first attempts to fit in came when he came up with
the idea to steal USGS radio signals from near Area 51. He used his
Psychospy letterhead and wrote letters to Lazar, Huff, Knapp, Lear,
etc. and asked them to participate in or financially contribute to a
simple form of espionage. He was soundly rejected by everyone. They all
told him it was a stupid idea, not mention that they had no idea who he
was to begin with. They all chastised him for being stupid enough to
solicit complete strangers for espionage on his own letterhead. This
rejection reminded Campbell of the rest of the rejection he had
experienced throughout his life. It's tough for those who can't seem to
fit in anywhere. The world is unkind in that respect and there is even
a part of me that still feels sorry for him.

Even though none of the mainstream people, if there can be such a thing
in ufology, would associate with Campbell, he became a central clearing
house for other misfits who had no lives except that of the cyberworld.
They read Campbell's commentary and swarmed to him as though he was a
magnet. Strange cyber creatures who were all rejected one way or
another now made UFO pages. They, like Campbell, had nothing to do with
ufology but found that as the Internet became more and more popular,
they could make themselves the focus of attention for the first time in
their sad and lonely lives. Even people surfing the net were
unsuspecting and had no idea that, while searching for some actual UFO
information and especially information on Bob Lazar, they had fallen
into a sea of lunatics who had woven a web of unsubstantiated lies an
innuendo that was rivaled only by modern day religions.

It was truly the "Revenge of the Nerds" time on the Internet and Gene
Huff likened Campbell to the "Booger" character from the Revenge of
the Nerds movie because of his poor hygiene and odd looks. As to not
steal the name directly from the movie, they switched the b and the g
around and nicknamed Campbell "Goober". The Goober nickname stuck and
this infuriated Campbell. Even Campbell's in-laws from his recent,
curious, marriage call him Goober in present day, behind his back, if
not to his face. This was the last straw as Campbell, now known as
Goober, had faced all of the rejection he could stand. He began
fabricating stories about Lazar at a record pace. He could only go so
far as his greed outweighed his need for notoriety and revenge. He
would always attack Lazar but stop short so he could still sell Lazar
merchandise out of his catalogue. The fact was that without
Bob Lazar, Goober was the same friendless, unloved, reject who had
moved to Nevada and Goober could not bear to sink back into the
obscurity he had been in throughout his life. No one liked him, but
through Goober's eyes, some attention is better than no attention, even
if the attention is negative. The attention Goober received from his
Cyber buddies helped him to ignore the rejection he was still
experiencing in real life.

Goober's sickness was obvious to everyone and in a gesture of pity,
Gene Huff allowed Goober to attend "Desert Blast", Bob Lazar's secret
summer fireworks blowout. Huff thought that if he allowed Goober to
actually see and meet Bob Lazar in a social setting, he would see that
Lazar was a friendly and magnetic individual who did not deserve the
unwarranted attacks that Goober had fabricated for the Internet. After
all, Goober did not even know Lazar or anything about Lazar or ufology.
All of his commentary was to and from a cyber world which had no
connection to reality and didn't really exist.

It worked. In fact, it worked so well that the balance had completely
gone the other direction. Goober now acted as though he and Lazar were
good friends and started writing articles offering insight on Bob Lazar
and his friends and, in actuality, he had said no more than one
sentence to any of them. Goober had rounded up Lazar's email address
and phone number from elsewhere and started trying to communicate on an
ongoing basis. Lazar didn't really browse the net at that point in
time, at least UFO related sites, and had met so many people at Desert
Blast, Lazar didn't even know who Goober was. The solicitations became
so numerous that they were psychotic and Lazar had to change his phone
number and email address to get away from Goober.

Bob Lazar was pretty much a media recluse by this point in time and his
friend Gene Huff followed suit. John Lear was busy flying around the
world and the only one left to be interviewed was George Knapp. Knapp
would give the world media as much time as he could, but this was very
limited as Knapp was a mainstream news anchor. Occasionally, Lazar
would give an interview, but he and Huff would always turn the world
media down when they wanted an escort out to the Area 51/Rachel area as
it's a 150 mile one way trip from Las Vegas. They'd simply send the
press out to the Little Ale' Inn to take their chances.

What they found when they arrived was Campbell, now dressed in
camouflage fatigues, begging to take them for a hike into the
mountains. Campbell knew that he could get the ear of the media and if
he was lucky, he could get to do a short interview for them on camera
or get in a picture for the print media. When these news teams returned
to Las Vegas and talked to Lazar, Huff, Lear, or Knapp, they would
always comment on how strange and uninformed Campbell was and describe
him as "odd", "gay", "funny little fellow", "idiot savant" and a host
of other negative descriptions too numerous to type here. They had no
idea that Campbell had only been in Nevada since 1993 and that, in
actuality, he had no idea what he was talking about.

With more and more attention, Campbell became more confident, meaner,
and more critical of everything surrounding him. Campbell soon suffered
from "URS" or UFO Researchers' Syndrome. This is a syndrome in which
some small minded individual makes an actual contribution to ufology
and comes to adore the limelight. When the applause dies down, and
they've run out of true things to say, the stretch the truth or
actually fabricate a story to make themselves become important again.
This happened to Campbell, to say the least.

Face to Face with Goober

It was around this time that I traveled to Rachel and met Campbell face
to face. I really had no idea who he was but I had inadvertently seen a
couple of copies of his Desert Rat Newsletter. No mainstream people
knew who he was or thought he was relevant, and in hindsight I now see
that they were absolutely right. I saw Bob Lazar, George Knapp, Gene
Huff, John Lear, and others on television and I wanted to make the trip
to Rachel. I met Pat and Joe Travis at the Little Ale' Inn and they
were very nice and good humored. They had nothing bad to say about
Campbell and, in fact, didn't mention him at all. I asked them what the
deal was with the trailer down the street that had the Area 51 Research
Center sign on it and they told me I ought to go take a look for
myself. What I found was surprising, more surprising than any UFO
research could ever provide.

As I walked down the gravel road toward the trailer it was so quiet
that you could literally hear the wind blow as there was no traffic on
the desolate two lane highway. The front door of the trailer wasn't
open and, though there was a car in the driveway, I sensed that no one
was probably there. As I walked around the side I got a partial view of
a man standing inside of a small window. As I walked nearer, not being
particularly quiet, I was a little shocked by what I saw. There was the
man who would later be identified for me as Glenn Campbell,
masturbating while looking at a magazine. His face was red, his
forehead was sweaty, and his shorts were down around his ankles. It's
important that I state here that the only reason I mention this is that
this incident goes a long way to help understand Goober and his
accompanying psychoses. I am middle aged and I am not shocked
that a single man who thought he was alone in the privacy of his own
trailer in the middle of the desert would be masturbating. I wouldn't
think that is terribly uncommon, especially for someone like him.
I inadvertently kicked some gravel and he heard me, but didn't look at
me. Then an even more unusual thing happened. He didn't pull his pants
up, but frantically concentrated on hiding the magazine. I said,
"Excuse me" and walked back to the Little Ale' Inn, wondering the whole
time why a man caught masturbating would be more worried about hiding
his magazine than pulling his pants up, especially a man who looked
that comical with his pants down! I think I now know why, it was
probably the type of porn that no one wants to get caught with.

As I had a beer at the Little Ale' Inn, Campbell entered. I think he
was looking for his surprise visitor and, although I was not aware that
he had actually seen me at all, the scarcity of patrons during the day
at the Little Ale' Inn, especially unknown visitors, made me easy to
find. He obviously didn't want to do an about face and leave as I might
then have to explain the reason why to Pat and Joe. He sat down and had
a soda. He wouldn't look at me but after I had my beer, I became brave
and I walked over to him and introduced myself. He wasn't very
friendly. At that time I didn't know if he was always that way or if he
was just too embarrassed to open up. No matter what he said, I couldn't
help but stare at how odd he looked. His voice was also very odd. The
most unusual thing about him is that his entire body was flaccid, not
fat, just no muscle, much less muscle tone. This man literally had no
muscles in his legs. After all the hikes I had read about him taking, I
simply couldn't understand how he could have climbed anywhere on those
legs. The icing on the cake was his breath. I have never smelled such a
foul odor come out of any human body, from any orifice, much less
someone's mouth. I actually had to cut the conversation short because
his breath was gagging me. He didn't mind that I left his table and,
believe me, I didn't mind leaving.

The total Glenn Campbell I met that day was probably the most
repulsive person I've ever met in my life. I'm a very reasonable person
and no one has ever gone through their life without having a case of
morning breath. Not everyone has powerful leg muscles. Not every man is
Tom Selleck, and not every man has a voice like Michael Caine. Many
times someone with no good looks or muscles at all can be charming and
intelligent and/or attractive via their intellect. Glenn Campbell, on
that day, did not have one redeeming quality. There was no personal
magnetism and he was so effeminate that I would have thought he was gay
if it wasn't for the fact that every gay man I've ever met has had
average or better personal hygiene habits. How this person could have
interacted with visitors from other areas and media people smelling,
looking, and acting like he did is unbelievable to me to this day. Both
of my juvenile sons are infinitely more interesting and intelligent
than Glenn Campbell is in real life. He was nothing like he portrays
himself to be in his newsletters and on the Internet.

Shortly after this I started browsing the net and I could clearly see
that Campbell was sinking lower and lower into this psychosis of
buildinga non-existent cyberworld around him based on non-existent
facts. No matter what article he wrote, or what the subject matter was,
Campbell always used his writings to attack someone who had rejected
him. Campbell's sickness didn't worsen just because he was a liar and a
dreamer, it worsened because he had committed the worst crime of all,
he was lying to himself. He was delusional about himself and his
position in the world.

Because of the attention given to him by people on the Internet, who
didn't know he was a liar and a psycho, Campbell actually thought he
held a lofty position in ufology, and still does to this day. Whenever
I attended a UFO event in Las Vegas which would include UFO notables
like George Knapp, Bud Hopkins, Linda Howe, John Lear, Jacques Vallee,
Zecharia Sitchin, Bill Moore, Don Ecker, etc., and I would ask them
about Glenn Campbell, they would always answer, "Who's Glenn Campbell?"
Glenn had become so crazy that when Dean Devlin, the writer and
driving force behind the movie "Independence Day", did not ask Campbell
to be a consultant, Campbell tried, unsuccessfully, to boycott the
film. Devlin explained that he had simply visited Area 51 to get the
ambiance of the area and when Campbell first approached him, he thought
Campbell was there to park his car! The suggestion that he would even
remotely care what Glenn had to say about anything was ludicrous to
Devlin. Campbell even tried to sabotage the get together held by the
Nevada Governor at the dedication at which the name of highway 375,
the highway near Area 51, was changed to the "Extraterrestrial
Highway". Campbell and some of his juvenile, idiot, friends fooled a
bus driver into making a wrong turn out near Area 51. The poor driver
didn't know where he was going and, from the celebration Glenn had on
the net, you would think he had personally won a world war. The name
change of the highway was specifically because of the Bob Lazar story,
but Campbell thought he was the reason for the attention and was
insulted when he didn't get it. The result was that ID4 made a billion
dollars world wide and Campbell was alone in a trailer, as usual, after
having been rejected, as always.

Ultimately, the Department of Defense grabbed the land surrounding Area
51 and Campbell's ego fulfilling, self-deluded dream was over. He found
a new vantage point to gaze down on the base, but it was so far away
and such a climb that few people were any longer interested. There's
not much left for him to say and now the small window in his life in
which he was able to fool strangers into thinking he was "somebody" is
over. His web page has also degenerated. There simply isn't enough
information about ufology to support a web page and he has now gone the
same way as the "Sightings" television program. Sightings started out
as a UFO show, but when they found there simply isn't enough real
information to support such a project, they sunk down into ghost
stories, werewolves, etc. Campbell's page now includes Princess Di
conspiracies and anything else Goober can muster to try and gain some
attention for himself.

Rudy Joe

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

I like Bob Lazar and Gene Huff, as I feel they bring something unique
and interesting to the topic of UFOs, whether they have been discredited
by the major UFO organisations or not. I also like Glen Campbell web
page as well.

What I don't like is this type of vile and despicable attack on Glen
Campbell. This kind of artlice does nothing to improve the standing of
either parties. Its a disgrace! No one should be smeared like that. I
don't care what the reason is. Shame, shame, shame, for a good writer to
waste their time in writing an article like that. A talented writer like
that should be spending their time writing more edifying articles.

One thing I'm certain of is that Glen Campbell would't stoop so low.

Rudy Joe

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

It looks like a lot of dirty laundry to me. O.K. I really don't know all
that much about it. But, I want to learn more. I'm going to pursue this,
and get all the information I can on this. Perhaps Goober is getting
what he deserves? I don't know, but it certainly would be very
interesting to see how all this plays out.

Bill Uhouse

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97
to rud...@topsecret.org
a clarification. One has to be caught in the middle on this caper to
know what its all about.Actually if you follow the paper trail
you will understand how the BARB throwing was initiated, and as with
anyone else who pick sides with out knowing the truth should stand down.

BTW

Dave Bethke

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

Bill Uhouse wrote:

> a clarification. One has to be caught in the middle on this caper to
> know what its all about.Actually if you follow the paper trail
> you will understand how the BARB throwing was initiated, and as with
> anyone else who pick sides with out knowing the truth should stand down.

I hadn't thought of your position as being in the middle of this, but
yes, it certainly is. Huff supports your story of Jarod, probably
because it supports Lazar's story. Campbell also supports your story,
most likely because of the publicity he's given it. What ever the
reasons, your position is unique.

I don't have a paper trail to follow, but the electronic trail seems
to indicate that Campbell's "Theory #1" post started this latest round.
Huff probably did NOT write the Spader post, but from the content, it
appears that much of Spader's research consisted of talking to Gene.

In the only previous post that I made on this subject I asked the
question, "Who is Marsha Spader?" The question is still unanswered.

--
Dave Bethke - on the fringe of Houston

Dr Pepper

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

-----------------------drivele snipped----------------------------

>One thing I'm certain of is that Glen Campbell would't stoop so low.

Ya wanna bet?
Just read his ragings about the folks at the Little-alie-inn.

Rudolphobia

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

Yea, well, the more I look into this, the more I realize why Goober
calls himself the "Desert Rat." It looks like he's giving rats a bad
name.

Nick Humphries

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

Aren't you at least a _little_ intrigued by the fact that *NO* evidence was
given to back up all those claims?

Nick Humphries, ni...@the-den.clara.net, at your service
If the Truth is Out There, what's In Here?
The Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years
http://www.the-den.clara.net/ys/cover.htm

Colleen Allen

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

I was thinking "geez, glad I'm not Glenn Campbell" ... I felt badly
for the guy.
Maybe I'm one of those who thought he was this one great connection
to Area 51.
I remember Glenn premiering on "Encounters", and how he reported how
-staged- he felt the show was. Since I had just gone through my own
taping with the show, I emailed him my thoughts of dread and how I
worried about their editing 4 hours worth of conversation into a few
minutes.

He responded back to me, and, yes, I felt sort of special that
he talked to *me* in person. I didn't know who you other folks were,
Bob Lazar, Art Bell .... no one.

I'm not in this newsgroup to figure out if there's water on god-damned
Europa's moon, or whatever the hell you folks argue about all the
time. I just want to read about other UFO sightings, experiences, etc.
and Glenn always remained on topic.

I would have liked to have seen more response to this paper, that
such 'dirty laundry' doesn't belong here.

Colleen.

Nick Humphries

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

For those who are wondering why Huff went apeshit at Campbell may want to look
at Campbells website for a flame war between Huff, John Lear and Tom Mahood
which started with Mahood asking too many questions about Zeta Reticulum Corp
(or whatever) that Bigelow was involved with. Huff dodged the questions in his
usual way by stating that Mahood knew nothing about Bigelow so shouldn't be
asking any questions.

Anyone have more info regarding Bigelow's dealing with Lazar and Huff?