boyscouts

cat...@cia.com

Nov 10, 1994, 12:51:38 PM11/10/94
There actually has been an attempt to institute a Pagan youth award in both
Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts in America. Covenant of the Goddess, of which I was
recently elected Publications Officer, has been working away at the issue for
about two years now. The effort has been led by Amber K, who was formerly
chair of a committee struck by CoG to study the issue, and is now First
Officer of the organization.

The award, called 'Hart and Crescent' is available to any youth who is active
in an Earth Religion, including Wicca, Native American Spirituality, and the
like. I don't know who designed the award, but from its drawings it looks
spectacular, rather like a medal than a badge.

An analogous award is available to youth group leaders in recognition of
distinguished service.

As of March of this year, Girl Scouts of America didn't want to get involved,
and were unwilling to tell their group leaders about the Hart and Crescent
Award. Boy Scouts of the USA are still mulling the matter over.

For more information contact Amber K directly at Box 1107, Los Alamos, New
Mexico 87544.

By the way, it's possible that it -was- Nybor who designed the award: he's a
brilliant artist and a fine gentleman.

I hope this information is helpful to those looking into the issue of Pagan
youth awards. The hard works has been done, but now we seem to be bogged down
in administrative processes.

Another by the way: Covenant of the Goddess is a congregational organization
of Wiccan covens. It does not purport to speak for all Pagans, nor for all
Witches.

Blessed be,

Gwyneth Cathyl-Bickford
Box 71, Kananaskis, Alberta T0L 2H0 Canada
cat...@cia.com