BOOK REVIEW - Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps

Mike

Aug 28, 2009, 1:11:41 PM8/28/09
Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps by Adam Selzer © 2009
Llewellyn ISBN: 978-0-7387-1557-5 266 pages Paperback $15.95
(U.S.) $18.50 (Canada)

As a former resident of Chicago, and an individual with a life-long
interest in the paranormal, I knew I had to order this book as soon as
I saw it in Llewellyn’s catalog. Besides, I couldn’t resist the
subtitle “True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter.” I mean really…an
ACCIDENTAL ghost hunter?

This is less about ghost stories, although there are a few in here,
than it is about the workings of Weird Chicago Tours (an organization
which runs tours on a bewildering variety of topics, most of which
have nothing to do with the paranormal) which the author helped to co-
found in 2006. This book provides some background on the individuals
responsible for that foundation and on some of the better-known ghost
stories circulating through the city.

Mr. Selzer also explains his take on ghosts and hauntings; what they
are and what they are not; how some of the stories got spread, and
some of the characters involved. It is, without a doubt, one of the
most irreverent, fun books I have read on ghost in many years. It was
easily one of the most entertaining books I have read this year. I
don’t agree with some of his conclusions, but that is hardly
surprising, given the background of his life.

My one regret is that he didn’t discuss a few of the points he
highlighted on the map which he included at the start of the book (Our
Lady of the Underpass, The Liar’s Club, and The Home of Bad, Bad Leroy
Brown). I’m not sure what he could have said about them, but I’m
reasonably sure it would have been amusing. You will certainly find a
few things between these covers that you don’t know about Chicago (and
a few other places Adam has lived).

This book is NOT all fun and games, however. He does take the time to
explain how easy it is to mistake common events and sights for those
inspired by unexplained circumstances. And he does conclude the book
by listing (and explaining) some of the equipment you might want to
have if you decide to do a little ghost hunting on your own. His
assessments appear to be logical and well thought out.

Granted that this book is going to promote his tour business, but at
$15.95 for the book (and only $30 for the tour), it seems to be well
worth the money. If I ever find myself back in Chicago, I know I will
be looking these guys up and taking their tour. If they are half as
entertaining in person as he makes them appear in this book, it will
be a real experience.

Evergreen

Sep 2, 2009, 10:25:42 PM9/2/09
Mike <gleaso...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps by Adam Selzer =A9 2009

> Llewellyn ISBN: 978-0-7387-1557-5 266 pages Paperback $15.95
> (U.S.) $18.50 (Canada)
>
> As a former resident of Chicago, and an individual with a
> life-long interest in the paranormal, I knew I had to order

> this book as soon as I saw it in Llewellyn=92s catalog.
> Besides, I couldn=92t resist the subtitle =93True Tales of an
> Accidental Ghost Hunter.=94 I mean really=85a= n ACCIDENTAL

> ghost hunter?
>
> This is less about ghost stories, although there are a few in
> here, than it is about the workings of Weird Chicago Tours
> (an organization which runs tours on a bewildering variety of
> topics, most of which have nothing to do with the paranormal)
> which the author helped to co- found in 2006. This book
> provides some background on the individuals responsible for
> that foundation and on some of the better-known ghost stories
> circulating through the city.
>
> Mr. Selzer also explains his take on ghosts and hauntings; what
> they are and what they are not; how some of the stories got
> spread, and some of the characters involved. It is, without a
> doubt, one of the most irreverent, fun books I have read on
> ghost in many years. It was easily one of the most entertaining

> books I have read this year. I don=92t agree with some of

> his conclusions, but that is hardly surprising, given the
> background of his life.
>

> My one regret is that he didn=92t discuss a few of the points

> he highlighted on the map which he included at the start of the

> book (Our Lady of the Underpass, The Liar=92s Club, and The
> Home of Bad, Bad Leroy Brown). I=92m not sure what he could
> have said about them, but I=92m reasonably sure it would have

> been amusing. You will certainly find a few things between

> these covers that you don=92t know about Chicago (and a few

> other places Adam has lived).
>
> This book is NOT all fun and games, however. He does take the
> time to explain how easy it is to mistake common events and
> sights for those inspired by unexplained circumstances. And he
> does conclude the book by listing (and explaining) some of the
> equipment you might want to have if you decide to do a little
> ghost hunting on your own. His assessments appear to be logical
> and well thought out.
>
> Granted that this book is going to promote his tour business,
> but at $15.95 for the book (and only $30 for the tour), it
> seems to be well worth the money. If I ever find myself back
> in Chicago, I know I will be looking these guys up and taking
> their tour. If they are half as entertaining in person as he
> makes them appear in this book, it will be a real experience.

There's no such thing as "the paranormal". That's a concept
invented by the priests of physical science who don't believe
that anything not visible to the physical senses (or technological
extensions thereof) exists.

And it's used by ordinary people who _believe_ that nonsense.

Nature _is_ supernatural. Inner and outer reality are the
same reality.

The idea that the 'paranormal' is "scary" is promoted by
the priests of physical science and the priests of christianity
because they don't want people to look within and learn the
truth for themselves.

Sid

--
Sidney Lambe