Windows 2000 Constantly Pausing

1 view

Si7

May 20, 2004, 12:31:20 PM5/20/04
Hi

I'm not sure if this is a Windows 2000 problem but I don't remember this
happening with Win 98. What happens, is that randomly, when I click on an
icon/shortcut/function, there is an annoying delay of about 5 - 6 seconds,
then it executes the command, this could be dropping down a menu, hitting a
program shortcut, minimizing a window, just about anything (I understand
there would be a delay say shutting a programme down) It can get very
annoying when working at speed, clicking, then re-clicking automatically as
nothing has happened, only to open two or three Explorers when it un-freezes
for instance.

It's only an XP1800 CPU, 256Mb Crucial DDR, Asus A7V266E but it used to be
pretty much as fast as I could want to go, certainly never stopped for 5 - 6
seconds every few mouse clicks, I end up slamming the mouse on the mat
uttering c'mon c'mon !! Really annoying.

I've :

Defragged
Virus Checked with McAfee latest DAT
Installed Service Pack 2
Ran Spybot for any background adware running etc

Thought about updating the VIA 4 in 1 drivers
Thought about updating the Video Card Drivers (TI4200 64Mb)

"Feels" like there is a hardware bottleneck somewhere, or maybe something
hogging the memory, but that's the extent of my knowledge, there are
"Services" running apparently in Windows 2000, not sure if these take some
sort of priority over what I want to do, so I have to wait ? Although the
whole machine seems to freeze during these delays and never used to. Machine
is ultra stable other than this constant problem.

Is there any analysis software or Windows Tools I can run or try ? Otherwise
I'm going to buy another computer as I get so annoyed with this, it's not
worth the blood pressure !

Many thanks

Si

Kay Archer

May 20, 2004, 1:49:17 PM5/20/04
> Thought about updating the VIA 4 in 1 drivers
> Thought about updating the Video Card Drivers (TI4200 64Mb)

Neither one would hurt.

I don't suppose you know what changed (Service Pack, new software) before it
started being slow?

> "Feels" like there is a hardware bottleneck somewhere, or maybe something
> hogging the memory, but that's the extent of my knowledge, there are
> "Services" running apparently in Windows 2000, not sure if these take some
> sort of priority over what I want to do, so I have to wait ? Although the
> whole machine seems to freeze during these delays and never used to.
Machine
> is ultra stable other than this constant problem.

To see the 'Processes' (many of them are services), Right-Click on the
Taskbar and select Task Manager, then click on the Processes Tab.

There is information about the Windows 2000 Services on this page:
http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm

My computer sped up a whole bunch (including booting faster) when I
cancelled a few 'choice' services.

It would help to know what programs are in Startup, if you have anything in
Config.sys or Autoexec.bat and what programs the registry is starting. You
can find all of these with a copy of msconfig.exe for Windows XP, but it
would be a violation of the EULA to install it on your system. There are
other startup managers available on the www as well.

Never mind, use Spybot to export the startup list:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=howto&detail=startup

Si7

May 20, 2004, 6:48:27 PM5/20/04

"Kay Archer" <kayhyphenarc...@antispam.com> wrote in message

Hi Kay

I can't think of anything that made a sudden change after an install etc,
just started to become more and more apparent.

I was going to try the latest VIA 4 in 1 this afternoon but VIA claimed that
these drivers were optimised for later chipsets and earlier drivers may work
better/faster with the older chipsets. Might still do it though, although
not had a problem for months and months with the current set, same with the
Video Card drivers.

I've done the Spybot Report thing, does anything look wrong here :

Thanks :)

May 20, 2004, 6:51:37 PM5/20/04

"Si7" <scine...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Oh, I think you said, "Startup List" I'll do some research on the processes
list site too, (http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm)

Thanks

Si

May 20, 2004, 8:10:54 PM5/20/04
I have the same problem on two different systems. The newer one is a
Dell laptop @ 1.4 GHz with 1 GB of RAM, running Win XP SP 1.

On Thu, 20 May 2004 17:31:20 +0100, "Si7" <scine...@yahoo.co.uk>

Kay Archer

May 20, 2004, 11:51:50 PM5/20/04
[snipped a bunch]

What type of internet conneciton do you have?
http://www.2-spyware.com/file-mobsync-exe.html

> Located: HK_LM:Run, WINDVDPatch
> file: CTHELPER.EXE

Is your DVD player made by Creative Labs?

> Located: HK_LM:Run, UpdReg
> file: C:\WINNT\UpdReg.EXE
> MD5: C419DF63E0121D72411285780C2FC6CC

I don't recognise this, Googled for updreg.exe and it is a reminder to
register your Creative Labs product. I'm sure you don't need it.

> Located: HK_LM:Run, Jet Detection
> file: C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe
> MD5: 9968CF1B18868E6EED001696C7F78F05

Something for SoundBlaster

> Located: HK_LM:Run, CTStartup
> file: C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run

Just what we need, more delays in booting up.

> Located: HK_LM:Run, POINTER
> file: point32.exe

You apparantly have a MS keyboard and mouse. If you don't why are you

> Located: HK_LM:Run, Microsoft IntelliType Pro
> file: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\speedkey.exe"

MS keyboard stuff, this is the most likely problem area. Do you remember
what "Speedkey" is doing for you?

> Located: HK_LM:Run, Zone Labs Client
> file: C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zapro.exe
> MD5: 2499725CE3D87440B16CB3FC53DDA463

Keep it updated.

> Located: HK_LM:Run, NvCplDaemon
> file: RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize

This is very suspicious, which version of Spybot are you using?
It comes with Nvidia, but some classify it as scumware.

> Located: HK_LM:Run, nwiz
> file: nwiz.exe /install

Wow! 32 virtual desktops? More Nvidia stuff. Maybe Windows is pausing to
decide which desktop you are in when you are clicking?

> Located: HK_LM:Run, NeroCheck
> file: C:\WINNT\system32\NeroCheck.exe
> MD5: 3E4C03CEFAD8DE135263236B61A49C90

And just what is Nero wasting time checking for? Don't you know when you
insert a blank disk?

> Located: HK_LM:Run, QuickTime Task
> file: "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

The program starts when you double-click an AVI file, why does it need to be
loaded all the time?

> Located: HK_LM:Run, NetLimiter
> file: C:\Program Files\NetLimiter\NetLimiter.exe /s

You don't need this. Possible scumware.

> Located: Startup (common), Freeserve Connection Kit.lnk
> file: C:\freeserve\freeserveconnectionkit\atdialler1.exe
> MD5: 00A0269D9C4A1322E05D30E867351AE0

No idea what it is, move it from startup to the desktop and double-click it
if you need it.

> Located: Startup (common), Microsoft Office.lnk
> file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
> MD5: BA25C7A6DB78C12DE2C820CD9F6AE045

Probably part of the problem. Again move it from startup to the desktop and
double-click it if you need it

> Located: Startup (user), Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk
> file: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma
> Loader.exe
> MD5: 015F1D9DF5AD1730EB56C734E03C949D

Are you really into graphics so much that this needs to be loaded all the
time?

Si7

May 21, 2004, 11:40:04 AM5/21/04
Hi Kay

I have searched for a "Startup Manager" and found :

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

and used it to switch off all of the startup potential problems that you
identified, re-booted, all fine still, everything works the same, but much
quicker ! and PAUSING seems to have stopped !!!!! I can click on stuff as
fast as I can and it follows perfectly glitch free, VERY pleased !

Thanks very much !

Have a nice weekend :)

Si

"Kay Archer" <kayhyphenarc...@antispam.com> wrote in message

Kay Archer

May 21, 2004, 1:06:23 PM5/21/04

> Hi Kay
>
> I have searched for a "Startup Manager" and found :
>
> http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
>
> and used it to switch off all of the startup potential problems that you
> identified, re-booted, all fine still, everything works the same, but much
> quicker ! and PAUSING seems to have stopped !!!!! I can click on stuff as
> fast as I can and it follows perfectly glitch free, VERY pleased !

Now you can turn on items one at a time and find what was causing the
problem.