masm for Ubuntu?

Paminu

Nov 13, 2005, 8:57:52 AM11/13/05
Is it possible to install masm for Ubuntu?

Sybren Stuvel

Nov 13, 2005, 9:25:36 AM11/13/05
Paminu enlightened us with:

> Is it possible to install masm for Ubuntu?

Do you mean the Microsoft assembler? If so, why would you want to?

Sybren
Frank Zappa

Mark Hobley

Nov 13, 2005, 10:08:03 AM11/13/05
Paminu <jada...@asd.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to install masm for Ubuntu?

Hmmm, what do you mean by "masm" ?
Do you mean MASM as in the Microsoft Macro Assembler or do you mean something
else ?

Please advise.

Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
393 Quinton Road West

Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
International: 0044 121 247 1596

http://markhobley.yi.org/

Mark Hobley

Nov 13, 2005, 11:08:03 AM11/13/05
Sybren Stuvel <sybr...@yourthirdtower.com.imagination> wrote:

> Do you mean the Microsoft assembler?

I'm wondering the same.

> If so, why would you want to?

Microsoft Macro Assembler was a really good piece of software. I used to write
everything using MASM.

I hope one day to a have a Linux variant of this.

Davorin Vlahovic

Nov 13, 2005, 12:37:44 PM11/13/05
On 2005-11-13, Mark Hobley <markh...@hotpop.deletethisbit.com> wrote:
>> If so, why would you want to?
>
> Microsoft Macro Assembler was a really good piece of software. I used to
> write everything using MASM.

Too much red tape.

> I hope one day to a have a Linux variant of this.

nasm exists for some time now :)

--
Uspjesne regije, tvrtke, muskarci i zene znaju da je uvijek bolje biti
prvorazredna verzija sebe nego drugorazredna verzija nekog drugog.

Mark Hobley

Nov 13, 2005, 3:08:03 PM11/13/05
Davorin Vlahovic <nr...@ylf.krs.ref.rh> wrote:

> nasm exists for some time now :)

Yeah, I know.

It is not like MASM though.

MASM offers a friendly way of addressing stack variables, structures, unions,
and procedure naming.

All the tools are friendly too: programmers workbench, codeview, etc

You have to know MASM to appreciate it fully.

I have written full applications, such as games, accounts packages, databases,
spreadsheets, compilers, etc, using MASM. This would be a nightmare in nasm.

Off topic, I want to do some serious development work on Linux, but I have lots
of problems. The GNU C toolchains are nasty on Linux. I need host independent
binaries, but the compiler embeds library pathnames, and I get AMD 686
instructions in my binaries, even though the machine that I wish to deploy them
on will be a classic pentium machine, and will have a different directory
structure, and different libraries. I don't know how to use the debug tool on a
full application. (Especially if I wish to emulate the package being invoked
with a specific command line.)
(I am starting with a Debian Source package, and wish to modify the source to
make a modified application.) I wish to use tcc instead of gcc. I think the
Makefiles needs patching to achieve this. I wish to split some of the package
suites into seperate packages, and I have a load of projects that I am waiting
to start:

http://markhobley.yi.org:8000/LinProjects