Database similar to MS Access for LInux?

JustMe

Dec 21, 2003, 6:11:59 AM12/21/03
Hi:

Is there any database similar to MS Access for Linux?

TIA

Bit Twister

Dec 21, 2003, 2:12:46 PM12/21/03
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:11:59 -0800, JustMe wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Is there any database similar to MS Access for Linux?

Sure, mysql, postgresql, oracle.

Broad questions get broad answers.

Michael Heiming

Dec 21, 2003, 5:16:29 PM12/21/03
JustMe <Ju...@me.com> wrote:
> Hi:

> Is there any database similar to MS Access for Linux?

Rekall? Not free!

http://www.thekompany.com/products/rekall/

A good overview over OpenOffice capabilities:

http://articles.linmagau.org/images/sections/pdf/230.pdf

There are the MDB tools to get your data out of *.mdb files:

http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/

Perhaps kexi is something to look at (haven't used it):

http://www.koffice.org/kexi/

Or:

http://hk-classes.sourceforge.net/

A comprehensive overview about M$ <--> Linux apps:

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/

Good luck

--
Michael Heiming

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

Werner Mahr

Dec 21, 2003, 5:16:15 PM12/21/03
Bit Twister wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:11:59 -0800, JustMe wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> Is there any database similar to MS Access for Linux?
>
> Sure, mysql, postgresql, oracle.

Similar to Access? You gave him the names of real databases. He asked
for a Prog which isn't standard conform, saves the data in a binary,
proprietary format.

The right answer would be:

No, for Linux there are some Databases, no Toys.

--
MfG usw

Werner Mahr

GPG-Key-ID 44B53C40
Registered-Linux-User: 303822 (http://counter.li.org)
ICQ-Nr. 317910541

Bit Twister

Dec 21, 2003, 5:43:36 PM12/21/03
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:16:15 +0100, Werner Mahr wrote:
> Bit Twister wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:11:59 -0800, JustMe wrote:
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> Is there any database similar to MS Access for Linux?
>>
>> Sure, mysql, postgresql, oracle.
>
> Similar to Access? You gave him the names of real databases. He asked
> for a Prog which isn't standard conform, saves the data in a binary,
> proprietary format.

Well, database is database. Does not matter about format, access and
what not. I did pause on "database similar". That was causing me
grief. Did the OP realy want one similar. :)

> The right answer would be:
>
> No, for Linux there are some Databases, no Toys.

I was waiting for the comback about, Where is the gui drag and drop.

Harry Phillips

Dec 21, 2003, 5:23:51 PM12/21/03
JustMe wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Is there any database similar to MS Access for Linux?

Anything as crap as MS Access does not even get off the ground in the
open source world, let alone be sold for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

To do my database stuff I bought a book on MySQL and then learnt PHP
from the internet.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips

Garry Knight

Dec 21, 2003, 6:48:16 PM12/21/03
JustMe wrote:

> Is there any database similar to MS Access for Linux?

Thankfully, no. But there are some much better ones. To get table and form
design with Basic glue, you're best bet is to use OpenOffice.org as a front
end either to a flatfile dBase-format database:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/garryknight/linux/oodbase.html
or to MySQL (or something like it):
http://openoffice.homelinux.org/docs/OOoMySQL.pdf

--
Garry Knight
garryknight<at>gmx.net ICQ 126351135

Wild Wizard

Dec 21, 2003, 9:55:02 PM12/21/03
Bit Twister wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:11:59 -0800, JustMe wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> Is there any database similar to MS Access for Linux?
>
> Sure, mysql, postgresql, oracle.

actually they would be more like ms sql server in windows

perhaps he wants rekall http://www.rekallrevealed.org/

--
You know you've been spending too much time on the computer when your
friend misdates a check, and you suggest adding a "++" to fix it.

JustMe

Dec 21, 2003, 3:29:02 PM12/21/03
Thank you everyone for the information. I will check up the suggestions
given.

"JustMe" <Ju...@Me.com> wrote in message

Harry Phillips

Dec 22, 2003, 12:03:26 AM12/22/03
Garry Knight wrote:
> or to MySQL (or something like it):
> http://openoffice.homelinux.org/docs/OOoMySQL.pdf

I would love to be able to use OOo as the database front end to MySQL
but the above link does not work, got one that does?

JustMe

Dec 21, 2003, 5:00:49 PM12/21/03
"Harry Phillips" <ha...@hkjsfh.com> wrote in message

Hi:

Not to start any kind disharmony... but Access is really something. Just to
give you an idea of what I use Access for... I have just finished a huge
project that required 350 Million records to be processed and I did it in
Access. The size of the raw data was 180G. There are 792 SQL statements in
the application and they are run sequentially and the total time taken to
process the data was 70days on a P4 600GHz, 1G Ram. Others have tried doing
what I did with Oracle and SQL server and they have failed... of course it
is not the DB problem but the way they used it.

I also routinely use Access as my front-end to SQL Server and Oracle 8.

Which brings me to... Access isn't friendly, Access isn't flashy, Access
isn't free... etc. etc. And Access isn't crap.

I am new to Linux but most importantly I have no extreme likes or
dislikes... as long as it does the job properly, be it MS or Linux, I will
use what is necessary... the customer does not care what I use as long as
they get what they want. Of course, if it cost me nothing or a small
something, I would certainly use it.

Regards

Richard Steven Hack

Dec 22, 2003, 2:13:48 AM12/22/03
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:00:49 -0800, "JustMe" <Ju...@Me.com> wrote:

>Not to start any kind disharmony... but Access is really something. Just to
>give you an idea of what I use Access for... I have just finished a huge
>project that required 350 Million records to be processed and I did it in
>Access. The size of the raw data was 180G. There are 792 SQL statements in
>the application and they are run sequentially and the total time taken to
>process the data was 70days on a P4 600GHz, 1G Ram. Others have tried doing
>what I did with Oracle and SQL server and they have failed... of course it
>is not the DB problem but the way they used it.

600GHz and it took seventy DAYS? Wow! Talk about slow...:-)

Next time, try Oracle...

--
Richard Steven Hack
"Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger" -

Nils Petter Vaskinn

Dec 22, 2003, 3:01:27 AM12/22/03
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:00:49 -0800, JustMe wrote:

> Not to start any kind disharmony... but Access is really something. Just to
> give you an idea of what I use Access for... I have just finished a huge
> project that required 350 Million records to be processed and I did it in
> Access. The size of the raw data was 180G. There are 792 SQL statements in
> the application and they are run sequentially and the total time taken to
> process the data was 70days on a P4 600GHz, 1G Ram. Others have tried doing
> what I did with Oracle and SQL server and they have failed... of course it
> is not the DB problem but the way they used it.

That doesn't prove that they had the wrong tool, only that they couldn't
make it work. Access is OK enough for prototyping the database schema and
for making a GUI. But I wouldn't be surprised if your project had run
faster if the data had been on a real DBMS. (depending on the complexity
of the queries, if all you did was loop over the data in various ways you
might as well have used flat files)

> I also routinely use Access as my front-end to SQL Server and Oracle 8.

For which it's fine.

> Which brings me to... Access isn't friendly, Access isn't flashy,

Compared to typing SQL statements at a prompt it is.

> Access isn't free... etc. etc.

Which is a drawback

> And Access isn't crap.

Actually it's one of the "least crap" products from MS IMHO. Just don't
think that it's mdb format is suitable for large multiple-concurrent-users
databases.

> I am new to Linux but most importantly I have no extreme likes or
> dislikes... as long as it does the job properly, be it MS or Linux, I will
> use what is necessary... the customer does not care what I use as long as
> they get what they want. Of course, if it cost me nothing or a small
> something, I would certainly use it.

Look at mySql and postgresql. Different feature sets.

Define "Like Access". Do you need to graphically design your database and
queries, or is typing in "create table" queries enough for you? (there are
grephical frontends but I haven't tried them)

Do you use Access for the making a frontend? Both mySql and postgresql
databases can be accessed from almost all programming languages, and some
of them have draw-a-gui tools for you. Do you know any programming
languages (besides VBA which you obviously know if you made that big an
access db)

--
NPV

"the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away"
Tom Waits - Step right up

JustMe

Dec 21, 2003, 10:02:21 PM12/21/03

"Richard Steven Hack" <richa...@prontomail.com> wrote in message

I agree with using Oracle, but it was much easier to run it out of Access.
The 70days is long I realize that but you should see the amount of data it
had to process... I was reluctant to port it over as this was a one-off
exercise, anyway it was processing something like 10,000 records per
minute...

Thanks, rgds

JustMe

Dec 21, 2003, 10:11:29 PM12/21/03

"Nils Petter Vaskinn" <n...@spam.for.me.invalid> wrote in message

Like Access: Yes, I would like to use a GUI... I find it easier to visualize
queries... drag and drop is really the way I want to go. Besides VBA, I use
VB.

I also use SQL Server, Foxpro and occasionally Oracle but at times a quick
and dirty with Access is just as good if not better. I'll take a look at
postgresql and see if it fits my purpose... Thanks.

Rgds

Nils Petter Vaskinn

Dec 22, 2003, 6:43:16 AM12/22/03
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:11:29 -0800, JustMe wrote:

> Yes, I would like to use a GUI... I find it easier to visualize
> queries... drag and drop is really the way I want to go. Besides VBA, I
> use VB.

> I also use SQL Server, Foxpro and occasionally Oracle but at times a
> quick and dirty with Access is just as good if not better. I'll take a
> look at postgresql and see if it fits my purpose... Thanks.

Postgresql is an SQL server and like MS SQL Server you will need a
frontend. You can use a grephical frontend which I don't know much about,
or you can make a frontend in a programming language.

Since any Access like frontend will have its own internal programming
language (which won't be VB or VBA) that you'll have to learn you might as
well learn a "real" programming language that can be used for other things
beside databased frontends.

Some combinations that will allow you to access databases and create a
gui without any platform dependencies are:

C++ + QT
C++ + wxwindows
Perl + databasemodule + guitoolkit
Python + databasemodule + guitoolkit

And with any luck others will reply to this with the combinations I don't
know about (yes that is a challenge to help the OP)

BTW when you reply, please cut the signature from your reply. You placed
your reply below my signature so when I hit followup everything below the
"dash dash space" was removed (that includes your post). Also if someone
has their newsreader set not to display signatures they might not see
anything in your post at all.

JustMe

Dec 22, 2003, 1:25:02 AM12/22/03

"Nils Petter Vaskinn" <n...@spam.for.me.invalid> wrote in message

Thanks... btw, what's OP?

"...please cut the signature from your reply..." Sorry, I hope I get it
right this time around.

Nils Petter Vaskinn

Dec 22, 2003, 10:10:16 AM12/22/03
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:25:02 -0800, JustMe wrote:

> Thanks... btw, what's OP?

Original Poster (that's you)
Original Post (the post that started the thread)

Which one it is depends on context.

Sybren Stüvel

Dec 22, 2003, 10:13:26 AM12/22/03
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:25:02 -0800, JustMe wrote:

> Thanks... btw, what's OP?

Original Poster - the one starting the thread.

> "...please cut the signature from your reply..." Sorry, I hope I get it
> right this time around.

Almost - you quoted every bit of text that you could. Why are you doing
that? Just quote the text you want to quote and leave out the rest.

Sybren
--
(o_ Q: God, root, what is difference?
//\ A: God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't.

JustMe

Dec 22, 2003, 2:39:55 AM12/22/03

"Michael Heiming" <michael...@www.heiming.de> wrote in message

Thank you, a very nice list. Regards

Davorin Vlahovic

Dec 22, 2003, 11:03:20 AM12/22/03
On 2003-12-21, JustMe <Ju...@Me.com> wrote:
> the application and they are run sequentially and the total time taken to
> process the data was 70days on a P4 600GHz, 1G Ram.
^^^^^^^^^-> This doesn't exist :) And
won't anytime soon...

BTW, this is S.L.O.W. :)

> Others have tried doing
> what I did with Oracle and SQL server and they have failed... of course it
> is not the DB problem but the way they used it.

Perhaps the knowledge (or lack of it) is the obstacle. ;)

> I am new to Linux but most importantly I have no extreme likes or
> dislikes... as long as it does the job properly, be it MS or Linux, I will
> use what is necessary...

Yup, that's the idea. Only...read the MS license first.... >:)

--
Q: What did Snow white say when told she was pregnant?
A: "I'd like to thank all the little people who made this possible..."

alex49201

Dec 22, 2003, 3:48:44 PM12/22/03
>> taken to process the data was 70days on a P4 600GHz, 1G Ram.
> ^^^^^^^^^-> This doesn't exist :)
> And won't anytime soon...

According to Moore's law, we only have wait about 12 years to reach
600gHz

--
-alex49201

Ivan Marsh

Dec 22, 2003, 4:04:18 PM12/22/03

Isn't that 6tHz anyway? or would that be 6000gHz?

--
i.m.

Harry Phillips

Dec 22, 2003, 4:23:56 PM12/22/03
Ivan Marsh wrote:

>>> ^^^^^^^^^-> This doesn't exist :)
>>> And won't anytime soon...
>>

>>According to Moore's law, we only have wait about 12 years to reach 600gHz
>

> Isn't that 6tHz anyway? or would that be 6000gHz?

If you added another zero to the end, yes 6000 GHz is 6 THz.

Garry Knight

Dec 22, 2003, 8:50:23 PM12/22/03
Harry Phillips wrote:

> Garry Knight wrote:
>> http://openoffice.homelinux.org/docs/OOoMySQL.pdf
>
> I would love to be able to use OOo as the database front end to MySQL
> but the above link does not work, got one that does?

Works for me. I just downloaded it all over again just to test that it was
working. What are you getting - a 404? If you continue to have problems
please feel free to e-mail me.

Richard Steven Hack

Dec 22, 2003, 10:56:20 PM12/22/03
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:02:21 -0800, "JustMe" <Ju...@Me.com> wrote:

>"Richard Steven Hack" <richa...@prontomail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:00:49 -0800, "JustMe" <Ju...@Me.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Not to start any kind disharmony... but Access is really something. Just
>> >give you an idea of what I use Access for... I have just finished a huge
>> >project that required 350 Million records to be processed and I did it in
>> >Access. The size of the raw data was 180G. There are 792 SQL statements
>in
>> >the application and they are run sequentially and the total time taken to
>> >process the data was 70days on a P4 600GHz, 1G Ram. Others have tried
>doing
>> >what I did with Oracle and SQL server and they have failed... of course
>it
>> >is not the DB problem but the way they used it.
>>
>> 600GHz and it took seventy DAYS? Wow! Talk about slow...:-)
>>
>> Next time, try Oracle...

>I agree with using Oracle, but it was much easier to run it out of Access.

>The 70days is long I realize that but you should see the amount of data it
>had to process... I was reluctant to port it over as this was a one-off
>exercise, anyway it was processing something like 10,000 records per
>minute...

I think you missed the joke there. You said "600GHz" - that's about

^^^
200 times faster than a current top of the line Pentium...

At 600MHz I can understand why it took seventy days, but as an
^^^
application (even a one-off), it makes no sense to do it. Of course,
since you did it and the client apparently didn't mind, I guess it's a
moot point.

Harry Phillips

Dec 22, 2003, 9:24:55 PM12/22/03
Garry Knight wrote:
> Harry Phillips wrote:
>

>>Garry Knight wrote:
>>
>>>http://openoffice.homelinux.org/docs/OOoMySQL.pdf
>>
>>I would love to be able to use OOo as the database front end to MySQL
>>but the above link does not work, got one that does?
>

> Works for me. I just downloaded it all over again just to test that it was
> working. What are you getting - a 404? If you continue to have problems
> please feel free to e-mail me.

I would but can you tell me if the doco is about OOo 1.0 or 1.1?

The database interface has change much in 1.1 and the doco for setting
it up using 1.0 will be useless to me.

JustMe

Dec 23, 2003, 3:46:49 AM12/23/03

"Richard Steven Hack" <richa...@prontomail.com> wrote in message

Oops... my apologies <Grin> Yes, the client actually liked it...

Garry Knight

Dec 23, 2003, 2:04:39 PM12/23/03
Harry Phillips wrote:

> can you tell me if the doco is about OOo 1.0 or 1.1?

It was written for use with 1.0.

> The database interface has change much in 1.1 and the doco for setting
> it up using 1.0 will be useless to me.

Oh, has it? I haven't played with databases in 1.1 yet so thanks for that
information.