Clone redhat 9 to larger disk; part 3, Eureka!

1 view

Ohmster

Apr 10, 2005, 10:54:27 PM4/10/05
[posted and mailed]

Okay for anyone following the "Clone redhat 9 to larger disk" saga, here
is the latest info...

...it is finished and working now!

I have the new 80Gb drive installed in the machine, used Ghost 8.0 to
copy the 27Gb original hard drive to the new 80Gb hard drive. The drive
appeared to copy successfully, however, grub would not boot the drive.

I started the machine with a knoppix live CD, used Alt-F1 to get out of
the graphical mode (Could not get back in again afterwards, not even with
Alt-F7), made a directory in /mnt called realroot...

cd /mnt
mkdir realroot

Mounted the new hard drive root partition at /mnt/realroot...

mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/realroot

chrooted the mounted drive partition...

chroot /mnt/realroot

Got my strange root prompt, changed directory to /sbin...

cd /sbin

Ran the grub console...

./grub

Told grub where to find the kernel...

root (hd0,0)

Got back the ok filesystem type response...

"Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83"

Told grub to install and setup...

setup (hd0)

...and kept my fingers crossed. It appeared to work! Quit the grub
console...

quit

Exited my chroot shell...

exit

Unmounted my hard disk partition...

umount /mnt/realroot

Halted the system...

halt

Took out the knoppix CD, closed the CD drawer, the unit powered down. I
turned it back on, keeping fingers crossed. Holy Crap, not only did it
boot, but I had my old grub menu back, complete with splash image and
both installed kernels! Wow, that really was not that hard at all.

Put the covers back on the computer and slid it back into place between
my wife and my desks. Here are the results...

Before the /home and / drives...

[ohmster@ohmster ohmster]$ df -h
/dev/hda2 27G 22G 4.2G 84% /
/dev/hda1 99M 15M 80M 15% /boot
/dev/hdb1 28G 18G 8.8G 67% /home
none 756M 1.4M 755M 1% /dev/shm
//missy/ohmster_music 74G 43G 31G 59% /mnt/ohmster_music
//cindy/cindy_music 26G 17G 9.3G 64% /mnt/cindy_music
[ohmster@ohmster ohmster]$

After the new drives...

[ohmster@ohmster ohmster]$ df -h
/dev/hda2 73G 22G 48G 31% /
/dev/hda1 99M 15M 80M 15% /boot
/dev/hdb1 74G 18G 53G 26% /home
none 756M 0 756M 0% /dev/shm
//missy/ohmster_music 74G 43G 31G 59% /mnt/ohmster_music
//cindy/cindy_music 26G 17G 9.2G 64% /mnt/cindy_music
[ohmster@ohmster ohmster]$

I am so happy that I could just crap. :)

Have to say thank you to everyone that tried to and did help very much.
Special thanks to Jason L. Woodruff who wrote this very informative
redhat disk copy HOWTO:
http://home.centurytel.net/jlw-tech/copy.htm

I already had the disk copied with Ghost, just needed to know what to do
about grub, that page gave me all I needed. Grub is pretty scary if you
never have messed with it before, lot of finger crossing here but it was
not that bad, not that bad, after all.

Cheers Maties!

--
~Ohmster
ohmster at newsguy dot com

Jason L. Woodruff

Apr 11, 2005, 3:01:34 AM4/11/05
> Have to say thank you to everyone that tried to and did help very much.
> Special thanks to Jason L. Woodruff who wrote this very informative
> redhat disk copy HOWTO:
> http://home.centurytel.net/jlw-tech/copy.htm

Your welcome! I'm glad it help. Good going on your succesful copy. Have
a good day!

-Jason

--
Registered Linux user #339721
Visit me @ http://home.centurytel.net/jlw-tech

Ohmster

Apr 11, 2005, 9:41:41 AM4/11/05
"Jason L. Woodruff" <damnspamhas...@spam.net> wrote in news:Fb-
dnS990asE...@centurytel.net:

> Your welcome! I'm glad it help. Good going on your succesful copy. Have
> a good day!
>
> -Jason
>

> --
> Registered Linux user #339721
> Visit me @ http://home.centurytel.net/jlw-tech

Dude,

Your html resume gives a "404 page not found" error. Not good for any
computer techie looking for an html job. Samba page looks good. What
would be totally excellent, if you have the time, is to make your disk
copy and samba pages indexed at the top. Each line of the index would
have a URL to a named anchor on the page. So for me to find the grub
portion of your copy page, I could click on the grub line and go right to
that section. Same for formatting, partitioning, etc. Plus this would
make the page more useful for newsgroup posting to specific references,
e.g.: one could post a URL directly to the grub section of your document.
Such good docs, would want them more available for people that need them.

So you are a counterstrike player? This is not the new one that comes
with Half Life 2, is it? I played the game, gave it to my nephew, he
played, formatted, reinstalled, and we don't remember the password.
Arrrgh, this makes a $65 game useless and those bastards over at steam
don't email the password back. My nephew had to buy a new copy of the
game and he gave the old one back to me. What frustration, I think that
steam really went over the line on this game protection.

I am just so freaking happy about my server being updated now with larger
hard disks. I think that I will have to take another machine and clone
this server as a backup, I have a few other lightweight machines around.
The redhat server is only a PIII 800Mhz. Then if I have to work on it, I
can just plug in the backup so the wife can play and then I really have
time to try out some of your in depth tutorials like the disk copy from
scratch one.

Nice talking to you, gotta go to work now. See ya!

imotgm

Apr 11, 2005, 12:03:42 PM4/11/05
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 02:54:27 +0000, Ohmster wrote:

> I am so happy that I could just crap. :)

Please don't do that. It draws flys, and little kids with spoons. ;-P

--
imotgm

Jason L. Woodruff

Apr 11, 2005, 3:28:02 PM4/11/05

> Dude,
>
> Your html resume gives a "404 page not found" error. Not good for any
> computer techie looking for an html job.

LOL! Yeah, this website is very incomplete (intentionally). That was
more of a test than anything.

< Samba page looks good.

Thank you. Actually that is very badly out of date. Samba is alot easier
to setup than that now.

> What would be totally excellent, if you have the time, is to make your disk
> copy and samba pages indexed at the top. Each line of the index would
> have a URL to a named anchor on the page. So for me to find the grub
> portion of your copy page, I could click on the grub line and go right to
> that section.

I couldn't agree more! You are correct, that needs to have some
indexing. It would help the reader more. I appreciate the suggestion.
I'll try to work on that in the future. Time is factor, as it is with many.

> So you are a counterstrike player? This is not the new one that comes
> with Half Life 2, is it?

Yes it is. I love playing Counter-Strike! Unfortuantly, I really suck at
it! I love mapping too, but talking about time-consuming. That map
download on my website is out-of-date too! Thanks for checking it out!

> I am just so freaking happy about my server being updated now with larger
> hard disks.

I'm glad you got it done!

> Nice talking to you, gotta go to work now. See ya!

You too! Don't work(ed) to hard! Now I'm off to work!

Ohmster

Apr 11, 2005, 9:05:38 PM4/11/05
imotgm <imotg...@invalid-yahoo.com> wrote in

> Please don't do that. It draws flys, and little kids with spoons. ;-P

Heh! :P

Hey Imotgm, your help was "dead on target", I did exactly what you said and
it was so easy, I was pulling my hair out on this for two days and you had
exactly what I needed. Thank you very much and I will keep my poop to
myself. :)

Ohmster

Apr 11, 2005, 11:06:48 PM4/11/05
"Jason L. Woodruff" <damnspamhas...@spam.net> wrote in

Hi Jason,

Gosh, you are like "a friend" already. That's cool.

> LOL! Yeah, this website is very incomplete (intentionally). That was
> more of a test than anything.
>
> < Samba page looks good.
>
> Thank you. Actually that is very badly out of date. Samba is alot
> easier to setup than that now.

Mmmm. Well I tell ya, samba was not that easy to setup back in the day. I
got mine working really well but it was not easy when I did it, it was a
real project, but a fun and rewarding project. You could touch it up a
bit and modernize it, if you have the time, but leave the basic "how to
do it all" page as there are many linux users that come to linux because
they have an old Pentium laying around that is just of no use in this day
and age of very large files and broadband. These folks hate to throw away
the old computer, especially when they paid a lot for it at the time. So,
they want to do something useful with it and often times the user will
pick an older version of linux because of the hardware requirements. Even
a very old, low powered computer makes a Jim Dandy file and print server
for any home or small LAN. If it is a real low power, low memory machine,
the installer is encouraged to skip the x server (Yeah I know, that is a
really hard point to make with a new linux user.) and just go for a CLI
server unit. Put a printer on it and share it out to the network, and
then anyone can print right to the printer from anywhere in the house.
This is especially important when the user has a wireless network for the
laptop, now they can print out reports or recipes from out on the lawn
chair. The user can put a very large, bargain hard drive in the unit and
it makes a great file server, just put all of your archive, big stuff on
there and it don't take up your "real hard drive" space, yet it is
immediately available to anyone on the network. This is absolutely the
best thing to do with an old, outdated computer. Heck, when I bought my
PII 400Mhz computer with 1Gb of SDRAM and 21" monitor, I paid three
thousand five hundred dollars for it! The machine is grossly underpowered
for todays applications and especially for games, so I got new ones
since. Built them myself and got the stuff at the computer show. But
still, I don't have it in my heart to throw out the old machine. I have
since upgraded it to a PIII 800Mhz Coppermine and upped the RAM to 1.5Gb,
but it is still too underpowered for me today. *That* machine, *is* my
beloved redhat linux server/gateway/firewall.

>> What would be totally excellent, if you have the time, is to make
>> your disk copy and samba pages indexed at the top. Each line of the
>> index would have a URL to a named anchor on the page. So for me to
>> find the grub portion of your copy page, I could click on the grub
>> line and go right to that section.
>
> I couldn't agree more! You are correct, that needs to have some
> indexing. It would help the reader more. I appreciate the suggestion.
> I'll try to work on that in the future. Time is factor, as it is with
> many.

Yeah the indexing would be easy to do if you pop the page into
Dreamweaver. I love Dreamweaver and use it all the time. It makes things
so easy and it does not add or alter your code like Front Page will.
Heck, just opening an HTML document and saving it again without doing
anything will kill your scripts on Front Page. I will never use Front
Page again for this reason. If you are a die hard linux fan, there is a
wysiwyg editor, similar to Dreamweaver (Well, not really but it is a
wysiwyg editor.) that you can download for free, here:

http://www.nvu.com/

At the top of the how-to page, you put like 5-10 title lines and
highlight them in DW or Nvu, and put in the named anchor points. Then at
the specific points in the doc, you add the named anchor tags and they
are invisible. Very easy to do with DW and with Nvu too, I would imagine.

Your docs are totally excellent and concise, but you might want to give a
time saver option on the docs, like mention that Ghost will copy the
drives properly and will save a great deal of time with disk copying, all
one has to do afterwards is to add the grub loader. Yeah it is a
commercial product but it will work and it will do it quickly, if one
needs that kind of time element. I think that you can download Ghost as
trial ware and use it to get the job done, not sure though, see the link:

http://www.downseek.com/download/4401.asp

Other products like Drive Image will do it as well, and Partition Magic
too, although it is a bit more pain in the ass to copy each partition
over rather than just ghost the drive. And for samba, you could update
that a little in an update section for modern linux versions, but keep
the original drive copy and samba pages as they are very good, for those
that want to know or have older versions on hand.

Yeah I know, I know, who has the time. Well, sooner or later, you might
have the time. The anchor links could be done in like 15 minuets with
Dreamweaver and Nvu so that is not so bad.

>> So you are a counterstrike player? This is not the new one that comes
>> with Half Life 2, is it?
>
> Yes it is. I love playing Counter-Strike! Unfortuantly, I really suck
> at it! I love mapping too, but talking about time-consuming. That map
> download on my website is out-of-date too! Thanks for checking it out!

You are talking the original Counter-Strike, right? I have not played
that in a long time, might have to give the new one a try that comes with
Half Life 2, Counter Strike Source. My nephew went out and bought the
game again after forgetting the password on it, just so that he could
play Counter Strike Source, he never even played Half Life 2 all the way
or even half way through. Do you play Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield
1942, and especially the new mods for them like Point Of Existence or the
old Desert Combat mod? OMFG, they are so good, Desert Combat freaking
kicks stinking behind, dude! I have not had the time to play the new
Point Of Existence one yet but it looks very good, fly modern jet
aircraft and whoop behind. What is good about the battlefield games and
mods is that you can fly, drive, or pilot just about anything in the
game, even the big battleships, and use the weapons and that the flying
is not so freaking hard like real flight sim games. You can just jump
into a jet and fly over enemy territory and fire away with rockets,
missiles, and guns! And it is not hard to fly them, very much fun and
excitement there, dude. The helicopters are hard for me, I always crash
them in like 30 seconds for some reason.

Hah, back when Counter-Strike was really hot, my wife and I were playing
it and she joined an online game. The game was an added on map and while
she was playing, she went into an area that was strewn with open Playboy
magazines scattered on the ground. She got offended and never played
since. :P

She wanted "clean" games so I got her Harry Potter, how much cleaner can
you get than that? She played about 15 minutes until she realized that
the game was a bunch of repetitious "jumping, getting killed, try again"
stuff, like the Tomb Raider games, and that was the end of that. I loved
Lara Croft but even that go to be too much with jump, miss, get killed,
try again stuff so I quit the Lara stuff after that and never finished
the game after making it 3/4 of the way through in TR4, the first one to
come out with "really good graphics".

>> I am just so freaking happy about my server being updated now with
>> larger hard disks.
>
> I'm glad you got it done!
>
>> Nice talking to you, gotta go to work now. See ya!
>
> You too! Don't work(ed) to hard! Now I'm off to work!

K, gotta go now, take care Jason.

print...@mytrashmail.com

Apr 13, 2005, 5:51:38 PM4/13/05
Thanks for the information. I had a heck of a time moving harddrives
from one pc to another, I think this would help for that also.

Ohmster

Apr 13, 2005, 6:44:16 PM4/13/05
print...@mytrashmail.com wrote in news:1113429098.822014.44310
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Thanks for the information. I had a heck of a time moving harddrives
> from one pc to another, I think this would help for that also.

Kewl. That is why I did the step by step info. Most linux folks would find
that redundant but because it was so hard for me to find out *exactly* what
to do, I repeated the steps in the event that someone would google for it
one day. I sure would have tried to google for that one and I did, did not
get lucky enough though.

Cloning linux drives is not that hard, really. I had one 27Gb linux drive,
then I started running out of room in the /home directory. I got help from
the newsgroups and it was suggested to just add another hard disk and mount
it on top of the /home directory, copying everything over to the new drive
first. This was a brilliant idea, I now had a /home directory with 27Gb of
space just for itself and you could not tell anything different in the
system, the new drive just added to the home directory seamlessly. No
problems at all with this method. These linux people are so freaking
helpful and smart, what a great bunch of people reside here!

Then I started running out of room in my root (/) directory as I have an
FTP server running in /var/ftp, and I was putting a lot of large (iso)
files there for my friends and family. Also, my /home directory (drive)
started filling up again as I started adding files to my personal
public_html directory and added a family photo album (uploadable, very
good, check out Coppermine! http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/) and was
running out of space again in the /home directories. Now what to do, I have
two 27Gb drives that are running low?

I used Ghost 8.0 to copy the /home hard drive to a new 80Gb drive,
jumper-ed the new drive as slave, removed the old 27Gb drive, screwed in
the new drive and copied, 80Gb drive, and it was perfect, nothing else to
do with that. Booted right up, no difference other than a lot of space in
the /home directories. Excellent!

I then used Ghost 8.0 to copy the main linux drive over to a new 80Gb
drive, with all three partitions on it; /boot, /, and linux swap. The copy
went well, took about an hour or hour and fifteen minutes. Removed the old
drive, screwed in the new drive, jumper-ed it for master, and booted. No
dice, the computer would not boot at all. I got the word "grub" on a black
screen and that was all. Damn. :(

The copy seemed to go quite well, but the grub boot loader had to be
reinstalled on the new drive. This was impossible for me to figure out and
for the next two days, I had the old / hard drive in the computer, hanging
by the cables so that I could get back on the Internet. With the help I got
from this newsgroup, I booted to a knoppix CD, created a new directory in
the knoppix /mnt directory, mounted the new / partition of the new drive on
this new directory (/mnt/realroot), chrooted to the new /mnt/realroot
directory, then changed directories to /sbin, and ran grub. I then showed
grub where the kernel and boot files were, root (hd0,0), and setup grub,
"setup (hd0)". I then quit grub (quit), unmounted the new hard drive,
halted the computer. I then rebooted and the computer booted right to my
old grub screen and booted perfectly!

Remember, this is really not hard at all, especially if you use a product
like Ghost. If it is not the boot drive, you just copy with Ghost, remove
the old drive, screw in the new and copied one, and then boot up.

If it is the boot drive, do the same thing, only, before you boot to the
new drive, re-run your boot loader, lilo or grub, whatever you use, and
then the computer will boot right up, with all of that luxurious space!

If you want to do this "the linux way", or just learn a lot about linux
file systems and drives (You will learn a lot this way, really do this if
you have the time. If you don't have the time, then use a disk copying
program like Ghost and just reinstall the boot loader.), use Jason's
wonderful, step-by-step tutorial that you can find here:

http://home.centurytel.net/jlw-tech/copy.htm

This will really help you and will work for moving from one machine to
another, unless they are really different machines, i.e.: one is an Intel
machine and one is an AMD.) If that is the case, then this might not work
as the hardware is different and you really will need a fresh install, then
copy yer stuff over to the new install by backing up yer stuff onto a CD(s)
and then mounting the CD in the new install, copy yer stuff back. Glad to
be of service, Mervis! ;>)

Linux is great stuff. I don't MS bash and use both OSs, but I think that
linux whoops the crap outta MS products for networking, especially
considering the price, thousands of dollars v.s. free and some of your
time. What fun this is, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (happy camper)

imotgm

Apr 13, 2005, 6:52:51 PM4/13/05
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 01:05:38 +0000, Ohmster wrote:

> Hey Imotgm, your help was "dead on target", I did exactly what you said and
> it was so easy, I was pulling my hair out on this for two days and you had
> exactly what I needed.

I noticed that, from your posts, and because it's so simple, was surprised
that nobody had mentioned it before.

> Thank you very much and I will keep my poop to myself. :)

Your welcome, and you do that; sanitation you know. ;-)

--
imotgm

Ohmster

Apr 13, 2005, 6:56:55 PM4/13/05

> I noticed that, from your posts, and because it's so simple, was
> surprised that nobody had mentioned it before.
>
>> Thank you very much and I will keep my poop to myself. :)
>
> Your welcome, and you do that; sanitation you know. ;-)

Yeah really, I am surprised as well. It was really just a grub thing. Thank
goodness that you picked up on it, saved me from pulling out all of my
hair. I replied to the newsgroup with thanks and also a step-by-step on
what I did so that it will go into the google archive, might help someone
else one day.

...and about that poop, perhaps some things are just better off, left
unsaid. ;>)

imotgm

Apr 13, 2005, 7:25:23 PM4/13/05
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:56:55 +0000, Ohmster wrote:

> I replied to the newsgroup with thanks and also a step-by-step on
> what I did so that it will go into the google archive, might help someone
> else one day.

Been there, done that too.

> ...and about that poop, perhaps some things are just better off, left
> unsaid. ;>)

Check, and double check. ;-P

--
imotgm