Novell buys SUSE!!

1 view

slackerama

Nov 4, 2003, 8:41:55 AM11/4/03
Novell buys SUSE! see for yourself at http://www.suse.com

TGGA

Nov 4, 2003, 8:50:59 AM11/4/03

"slackerama" <slack...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:a3f478eb.03110...@posting.google.com...

> Novell buys SUSE! see for yourself at http://www.suse.com

Novell buying anything is the death knell... I hope not

stephan beal

Nov 4, 2003, 9:08:01 AM11/4/03
slackerama wrote:

> Novell buys SUSE! see for yourself at http://www.suse.com

suse.com appears to be offline, but if you can read German the news is here:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/odi-04.11.03-000/

--
----- stephan beal
http://s11n.net/

kalev-

Nov 4, 2003, 9:20:48 AM11/4/03
>> Novell buys SUSE! see for yourself at http://www.suse.com
> suse.com appears to be offline, but if you can read German the news is
> here: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/odi-04.11.03-000/

"...slashdot:ed"..

jk
--
Every day above ground is a good day

Ann

Nov 4, 2003, 10:25:00 AM11/4/03
On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 15:20:48 +0100, kalev- wrote:

>>> Novell buys SUSE! see for yourself at http://www.suse.com
>> suse.com appears to be offline, but if you can read German the news is
>> here: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/odi-04.11.03-000/
>
> "...slashdot:ed"..
>
> jk

Really sorry to hear this. To at least this user who remembers the bad
old days of proprietary solutions, locking the os to hardware, and per
seat pricing, this is not good news.

jpb

Nov 4, 2003, 10:42:32 AM11/4/03

All Gates has to do now is buy 51% of Novell, we all go back to the stone
age.

pwr

Nov 4, 2003, 10:54:17 AM11/4/03
slackerama wrote:
> Novell buys SUSE! see for yourself at http://www.suse.com

or see here:

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5101680.html?tag=nefd_top

and take note, IBM is pumping 50 million into Novell..!

Friedrich Dimmling

Nov 4, 2003, 11:49:48 AM11/4/03
jpb wrote:

> All Gates has to do now is buy 51% of Novell, we all go back to the stone
> age.

Or to Debian linux.

Friedrich
--
Friedrich Dimmling, Berlin

Ann

Nov 4, 2003, 12:11:56 PM11/4/03

At least MS does still provide a (relatively) lengthy period of non-paid
support for its OSs. And it was MS who made home/small business
networking practical in the first place ... by including it "free".

Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic, but Novell's press release is all about
"enterprise-class". They do toss in "desktop" a few times, but in the
same context (enterprise).

spa

Nov 4, 2003, 12:24:27 PM11/4/03
Ann wrote:

> Really sorry to hear this. To at least this user who remembers the bad
> old days of proprietary solutions, locking the os to hardware, and per
> seat pricing, this is not good news.

Okay, time to change distro...
Thanks SUSE! it was fun from SuSE 6.2 to 8.2.

--
spa

Keith Clark

Nov 4, 2003, 12:24:27 PM11/4/03

Ditto here. I fear that this will be bad news for the average
non-orpoprate user used to paying a reaonable (or even free) price.

Novell has never cared about average users before except how much they
could charge for client licenses.

I think Linux is going monopolistic and I think it's a shame.

I just hope the GPL can be truly enforced.

--Keith

Peter Köhlmann

Nov 4, 2003, 12:30:30 PM11/4/03
jpb wrote:

Oh, SuSE is the last surviving linux distro out there? Mandrake, Fedora,
Gentoo or Debian and the others don't exist anymore? Did I sleep *that*
long?
--
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Roeland Th. Jansen

Nov 4, 2003, 12:19:13 PM11/4/03
Friedrich Dimmling <f.dim...@nospam.please> wrote:
> jpb wrote:
>

>> All Gates has to do now is buy 51% of Novell, we all go back to the stone
>> age.
>
> Or to Debian linux.

which is the same. gates could have boight suse -- would have been
cheaper.

--
Grobbebol's Home | Don't give in to spammers. -o)
http://www.xs4all.nl/~bengel | Use your real e-mail address /\

root/administrator

Nov 4, 2003, 12:38:17 PM11/4/03
jpb wrote:

Don't be such a looser, use other Linux distros ...

--
root/administrator

Anthony Edwards

Nov 4, 2003, 12:40:14 PM11/4/03
On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:30:30 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
<Peter.K...@t-online.de> wrote:

> Oh, SuSE is the last surviving linux distro out there? Mandrake, Fedora,
> Gentoo or Debian and the others don't exist anymore? Did I sleep *that*
> long?

I think that the issue is that SuSE is the first truly easy to install
Linux distribution. I will freely admit that the installation of a
Debian system (the only other distribution that I would really like
to try) is completely beyond my current level of technical Linux
knowledge, and given that I work an average 14-16 hour day there
really isn't time to spend the many hours that I suspect would be
required to gain the further understanding required to install Debian
on my workstations, both at home and at work.

That said, I suspect that this had to come, sooner or later. I do not
think it unrealistically pessimistic to hypothesise that Novell will,
probably sooner rather than later, can the "retail" SuSE distributions
and move to an "enterprise only" paid for distribution model, following
Red Hat's recent lead. I sincerely hope that I am wrong; but I doubt
it.

--
Anthony Edwards
ant...@catfish.nildram.co.uk

root/administrator

Nov 4, 2003, 12:55:21 PM11/4/03
Anthony Edwards wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:30:30 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
> <Peter.K...@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>> Oh, SuSE is the last surviving linux distro out there? Mandrake, Fedora,
>> Gentoo or Debian and the others don't exist anymore? Did I sleep *that*
>> long?
>
> I think that the issue is that SuSE is the first truly easy to install
> Linux distribution. I will freely admit that the installation of a
> Debian system (the only other distribution that I would really like
> to try) is completely beyond my current level of technical Linux
> knowledge, and given that I work an average 14-16 hour day there
> really isn't time to spend the many hours that I suspect would be
> required to gain the further understanding required to install Debian
> on my workstations, both at home and at work.

Agreed.

> That said, I suspect that this had to come, sooner or later. I do not
> think it unrealistically pessimistic to hypothesise that Novell will,
> probably sooner rather than later, can the "retail" SuSE distributions
> and move to an "enterprise only" paid for distribution model, following
> Red Hat's recent lead. I sincerely hope that I am wrong; but I doubt
> it.

Agreed

--
root/administrator

root/administrator

Nov 4, 2003, 12:55:39 PM11/4/03
spa wrote:

Ditto.

--
root/administrator

root/administrator

Nov 4, 2003, 12:56:47 PM11/4/03
TGGA wrote:

Like Un*x?

--
root/administrator

Darren

Nov 4, 2003, 1:02:51 PM11/4/03
root/administrator wrote:

> Ditto.

Does that mean you are unsubscribing? From what I can gather I'm sure most
in here would be gutted to see you go but if that's the way it has to
be.....

:-)

--
Darren
At least something positive has come out of this!

Niels Ringelmann

Nov 4, 2003, 1:31:21 PM11/4/03

> That said, I suspect that this had to come, sooner or later. I do not
> think it unrealistically pessimistic to hypothesise that Novell will,
> probably sooner rather than later, can the "retail" SuSE distributions
> and move to an "enterprise only" paid for distribution model, following
> Red Hat's recent lead. I sincerely hope that I am wrong; but I doubt
> it.

I don't think that the personal edition of SuSE will stopp. Especially
due to the subject, that red hat stopped their personal edition and SUSE
is the last big distribution for private people.

Rod

Nov 4, 2003, 1:51:49 PM11/4/03

"pwr" <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:3fa7cb94$1...@news.bluewin.ch...

> slackerama wrote:
> > Novell buys SUSE! see for yourself at
> and take note, IBM is pumping 50 million into Novell..!

Only got my first Suse (9.0) yesterday. Now I read this. Time to learn Slackware?

Rod

spa

Nov 4, 2003, 1:59:49 PM11/4/03
Rod wrote:

> Only got my first Suse (9.0) yesterday. Now I read this. Time to learn
> Slackware?

It is pretty clear why they announce it a few weeks after a new release.

--
spa

jpb

Nov 4, 2003, 2:09:06 PM11/4/03

There is no way I'd go back to Windoze, not that big of a looser. :-))

Just wonder is the Germany exactness will be replaced with the American
way of doing things.

jpb

Nov 4, 2003, 2:18:46 PM11/4/03

I feel like I'm jinxing the this whole thing. I bought a sinclair, QL
Because the OS was way better than DOS. Where did that go? I then bought a
RiscPC because that OS was Lightyears ahead of Windoze. What happened
there?? I then switched to SuSe Linux because of ease and dependabality
the XP doesn't have. now ??

I wonder what would happen if I did a 180 and jumped on the Windoze
bandwagen? :-)))

Stig Mogensen

Nov 4, 2003, 2:19:07 PM11/4/03
> Just wonder is the Germany exactness will be replaced with the American
> way of doing things.

Replace german thoroughness, with gunplay and lawsuits? ;-)
Hardly....

/Stig
--
* Registered Linux user #291266, with http://counter.li.org.*

Chris Wall

Nov 4, 2003, 2:30:47 PM11/4/03

"spa" <spa...@welho.com> wrote in message

Seems they got the better of a lot of people on the pre-order of 9.0!

Niels Ringelmann

Nov 4, 2003, 3:06:05 PM11/4/03
Darren wrote:

> root/administrator wrote:
>

>>Ditto.
>

> Does that mean you are unsubscribing? From what I can gather I'm sure most
> in here would be gutted to see you go but if that's the way it has to
> be.....
>
> :-)

some words from a german nerd: there is now a big discussion in the
german linux comunity ... the opinions are quite diverse. But the press
conference this day in Utah was quite interesting: Novell will continue
the Brand SuSE and also the development in Nuernberg (SuSE headquarter).
Novell want to become the first linux player with the knowledge and
good reputation of SuSE. SuSE want to play now a important part on the
us american market, where it still play a minor role (it's the first
distribution in europe). Some people are quite excited, because now one
of the big players went into the linux market ... even more then SUN and
IBM with their little steps. They think, that will push the development
of linux. Especially ... because we think .... the novell lawyers have
obviously the opinion, that sco can cause no problem to linux at all!

sorry for the funny english!

BM

Nov 4, 2003, 3:28:49 PM11/4/03

OK... being form the Windows corporate world, I'm not too thrilled with
the news myself. I have dealt with Novell as an administrator, and I do
feel that they gave up on NweWare 5. But before we bail out on the
distro that brings us all together, can we at least see what happens
with 9.1? It may not be bad... shoot it could be worse. BUT let us
check it out what is happening with SUE after January 1, and enjoy it
durring the raminder of this year.

Bill

Ernest

Nov 4, 2003, 3:38:31 PM11/4/03
Niels Ringelmann wrote:

IBM is a huge proponent of Linux, and I wouldn't call their steps "little"
in any way, shape, or form.

As for Novell's purchase of Suse, I have very mixed feelings. I know that
they (Suse) have been struggling for some time but I certainly do not want
them to close down or significantly change their business focus from a
mixed desktop/server to server only focus the way that RedHat has done
recently. I moved from Redhat to Suse because Redhat lost interest in the
desktop, and now I worry that Novell will push Suse in that direction as
well. Now that Redhat is out of the desktop market, Suse has an opportunity
to fill the gap in the US market and I sincerely hope that Novell will
leverage that potential and allow the Suse developers continue to work on
improving their Linux desktop. In my opinion, Suse is the only "user
friendly" desktop that is a viable alternative to Windows, and Novell could
really build on that now that Redhat is out. Mandrake has had one foot in
the grave for some time and I don't expect them to survive much longer, and
the other options like Debian, Gentoo, and the various BSDs are well
outside the beginner's capabilities. Suse is the only realistic choice for
ordinary home users right now. I hope that Novell doesn't axe the Suse
desktop. I would be very disappointed if that happened.

E.

Mike Gratis

Nov 4, 2003, 3:44:59 PM11/4/03
root/administrator wrote:

So just becuase Suse changes hands or merges with another company, people
start bailing out? Curious.... I'll stick with it until I see an OBVIOUS
reason to change. ;-)

--

Mike Gratis

NitrousHHH

Nov 4, 2003, 3:54:51 PM11/4/03
On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 05:41:55 -0800, slackerama wrote:

> Novell buys SUSE! see for yourself at http://www.suse.com

so what might be good and what might be bad ???

I think its a shame cutting edge european comapany has been dragged to
to the US.

Will the SUSE PRO and personal editions disappear ???
will SUSE be hit with the DMCA and DRM ???
Will the next release be able to play mp3s ???
Or will there just be corperate desktop and pro server editions ?

One of the things I like about SUSE was it free of US madness unlike redhat.

Probably great for Linux adoption on the corperate environment but what
about everyone who gave their time to help put it there and those hopeful
it might hit mainstream.

You can easily imagine a home desktop concept being droppped like a hot potato.

so can we have some comments from people in the know. Hopefully some
positive thoughts to cheer me up ;-)

will suse just head corperate and the only chance of your mum dropping
windows will be Mandrake ???

This was a follow-up so hopefully won't cause any trouble.

regards Nitroushhh.

Robt. Miller

Nov 4, 2003, 3:52:30 PM11/4/03
In article <a7Upb.105215$HS4.880505@attbi_s01>, Ernest wrote:

> IBM is a huge proponent of Linux, and I wouldn't call their steps "little"
> in any way, shape, or form.

I'll call their steps "little" until they put SuSE on thei pc's, which
may actually happen now.

--

(o< |)
//\ Powered by SuSE Linux /\obt.

Edwin van Woerkens

Nov 4, 2003, 4:09:24 PM11/4/03
Ernest wrote:

> .... Suse is the only realistic choice for

> ordinary home users right now. I hope that Novell doesn't axe the Suse
> desktop. I would be very disappointed if that happened.

Novell NetWare is a server-only OS and lacks the availability of a
desktop OS.

With SuSE and Ximian they have it *all*:
Linux distro server and client, Ximian desktop, GroupWise server/client
with MS Exchange Server connectivity, eDirectory to offer a complete
distro they never had with NetWare.

I really hope Novell can boost Linux into highest gear.

Edwin

NitrousHHH

Nov 4, 2003, 4:27:08 PM11/4/03

but a coporate focused company now owns ximian evolution, ximian connector
(to ms exchange) and SUSE Openxchange server. And ximain desktop2.

So will they still serve open desktops and the home user ???

Nitroushhh

Niels Ringelmann

Nov 4, 2003, 4:34:38 PM11/4/03
NitrousHHH wrote:

Maybe Novell search for Revange because M$ attacked their market -
especially because Ballmer had made jokes about Novell, when he
explained how to stop linux ....

... but in the end, we can not know now, only hope ...

TGGA

Nov 4, 2003, 5:32:53 PM11/4/03

"root/administrator"
<ro...@dev.null.dnsalias.net,admini...@dev.null.dnsalias.net> wrote in
message news:zLRpb.75736$mZ5.481375@attbi_s54...

Nope Unix went off to SCO, Novell never owned it long before selling it on.
But check out the trail of destruction that Novell have left behind.

Big Daddy

Nov 4, 2003, 6:02:59 PM11/4/03
Chris Wall vomitted:

> Seems they got the better of a lot of people on the pre-order of 9.0!

Why? It's a great distro. Just enjoy it...

Big Daddy

Nov 4, 2003, 6:06:15 PM11/4/03
BM vomitted:

> OK... being form the Windows corporate world, I'm not too thrilled with
> the news myself. I have dealt with Novell as an administrator, and I do
> feel that they gave up on NweWare 5. But before we bail out on the
> distro that brings us all together, can we at least see what happens
> with 9.1? It may not be bad... shoot it could be worse. BUT let us
> check it out what is happening with SUE after January 1, and enjoy it
> durring the raminder of this year.

For all we know, with Novell's connection to Ximian, it could really give
SuSE a kick in the rump and give us a distro that is beyond anything we can
imagine right now. Honestly, with Red Hat out of the desktop Linux horizon,
SuSE stands poised to dominate it. I don't even see Mandrake for sale in
CompUSA and BestBuy anymore - only SuSE and what's left of Red Hat.

Big Daddy

Nov 4, 2003, 6:08:57 PM11/4/03
Edwin van Woerkens vomitted:

> Ernest wrote:
>
>> .... Suse is the only realistic choice for
>> ordinary home users right now. I hope that Novell doesn't axe the Suse
>> desktop. I would be very disappointed if that happened.
>
> Novell NetWare is a server-only OS and lacks the availability of a
> desktop OS.
>
> With SuSE and Ximian they have it *all*:
> Linux distro server and client, Ximian desktop, GroupWise server/client

This is something I won't want to see - the preference of Gnome over KDE.
With Ximian onboard, I'm afraid that may happen.

Keith Clark

Nov 4, 2003, 6:40:49 PM11/4/03

Big Daddy wrote:

But you're free to use either one. It's a trivial matter to make either KDE
or Gnome your default login environment. Not worth wasting bandwidth or
changing distributions over.

KDE and Gnome both have their places. I use KDE and Gnome apps every day.
I've been a long time Gnome fan, but KDE is getting to the point where I use
it more and more, but both desktops have needed apps that the others don't. I
like Evolution and K3b. One requires Gnome, one requires KDE.

Shrug...

--Keith

baskitcaise

Nov 4, 2003, 6:52:17 PM11/4/03
TGGA wrote:

I wonder if IBM who are going to invest $50 million into Novell to help with
this venture will keep them in check.

Puys a nice spin on the SCO thungy as well :)

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.

ToolPackinMama

Nov 4, 2003, 9:45:56 PM11/4/03
Niels Ringelmann wrote:

> some words from a german nerd: there is now a big discussion in the
> german linux comunity ... the opinions are quite diverse. But the press
> conference this day in Utah was quite interesting: Novell will continue
> the Brand SuSE and also the development in Nuernberg (SuSE headquarter).
> Novell want to become the first linux player with the knowledge and
> good reputation of SuSE. SuSE want to play now a important part on the
> us american market, where it still play a minor role (it's the first
> distribution in europe). Some people are quite excited, because now one
> of the big players went into the linux market ... even more then SUN and
> IBM with their little steps. They think, that will push the development
> of linux.

Well, at least you have something positive to say. I am amazed at all
the strong negativity against Novell + SUSE. Did it never occur to some
of you that SUSE would infect Novell, instead of the reverse?

ToolPackinMama

Nov 4, 2003, 9:48:40 PM11/4/03
Ernest wrote:

> As for Novell's purchase of Suse, I have very mixed feelings. I know that
> they (Suse) have been struggling for some time but I certainly do not want
> them to close down or significantly change their business focus from a
> mixed desktop/server to server only focus the way that RedHat has done
> recently. I moved from Redhat to Suse because Redhat lost interest in the
> desktop, and now I worry that Novell will push Suse in that direction as
> well. Now that Redhat is out of the desktop market, Suse has an opportunity
> to fill the gap in the US market and I sincerely hope that Novell will
> leverage that potential and allow the Suse developers continue to work on
> improving their Linux desktop.

Exactly. There is a huge potential in that market. Bill Gates is only
getting more insane, and SUSE could be the salvation of many desktop
users, but SUSE (or somebody) has to have faith and show leadership.

ToolPackinMama

Nov 4, 2003, 9:49:57 PM11/4/03
Mike Gratis wrote:

> So just becuase Suse changes hands or merges with another company, people
> start bailing out? Curious.... I'll stick with it until I see an OBVIOUS
> reason to change. ;-)

I will remain faithful for now. IMHO all the changes so far have been
for the better. Give the SUSE guys some credit.

ToolPackinMama

Nov 4, 2003, 9:52:53 PM11/4/03
NitrousHHH wrote:

> I think its a shame cutting edge european comapany has been dragged to
> to the US.

Excuse me? Please clarify that remark.

> Will the SUSE PRO and personal editions disappear ???

I hope not.

> will SUSE be hit with the DMCA and DRM ???

I hope not.

> Will the next release be able to play mp3s ???

I hope so.

> One of the things I like about SUSE was it free of US madness unlike redhat.

"US Madness?" I can't imagine what you mean.

> You can easily imagine a home desktop concept being droppped like a hot potato.

I hope not!

ToolPackinMama

Nov 4, 2003, 9:53:48 PM11/4/03

I think that is the idea. If so, it is an exciting idea. :)

ToolPackinMama

Nov 4, 2003, 9:54:34 PM11/4/03
Niels Ringelmann wrote:

> Maybe Novell search for Revange because M$ attacked their market

LOL!

ToolPackinMama

Nov 4, 2003, 9:55:29 PM11/4/03
Big Daddy wrote:

> BM vomitted:
>
> > OK... being form the Windows corporate world, I'm not too thrilled with
> > the news myself. I have dealt with Novell as an administrator, and I do
> > feel that they gave up on NweWare 5. But before we bail out on the
> > distro that brings us all together, can we at least see what happens
> > with 9.1? It may not be bad... shoot it could be worse. BUT let us
> > check it out what is happening with SUE after January 1, and enjoy it
> > durring the raminder of this year.
>
> For all we know, with Novell's connection to Ximian, it could really give
> SuSE a kick in the rump and give us a distro that is beyond anything we can
> imagine right now.

Gosh, I hope so! That would be absolutely grand.

ToolPackinMama

Nov 4, 2003, 9:56:37 PM11/4/03
Big Daddy wrote:

> This is something I won't want to see - the preference of Gnome over KDE.

I can't imagine why anyone would think that is a bad thing. Please
explain?

ToolPackinMama

Nov 4, 2003, 9:57:34 PM11/4/03
Keith Clark wrote:

> KDE and Gnome both have their places.

I thought the old KDE vs. Gnome thing was old news.

Jim Trice

Nov 4, 2003, 11:03:59 PM11/4/03
jpb wrote:

<snip>

> I feel like I'm jinxing the this whole thing. I bought a sinclair, QL
> Because the OS was way better than DOS. Where did that go? I then bought a
> RiscPC because that OS was Lightyears ahead of Windoze. What happened
> there?? I then switched to SuSe Linux because of ease and dependabality
> the XP doesn't have. now ??
>
> I wonder what would happen if I did a 180 and jumped on the Windoze
> bandwagen? :-)))

I think that only works if you're sincere about it. :-)

Regards
Jim

Charles Thorpe

Nov 4, 2003, 11:26:33 PM11/4/03
jpb wrote:

> I feel like I'm jinxing the this whole thing. I bought a sinclair, QL
> Because the OS was way better than DOS. Where did that go?

Ah! Fond memories of the QL despite its bad reputation. Wrote a full stock
control package for a hotel for it.
Did all the hotels word processing and invoicing too, it certainly worked
for a living!

Back to Novell, I certainly hope they don't change SuSE too much, but most
of all, I hope that all the SuSE guys retain their jobs.

--
Regards, Charles

cthorp at globalnet dot co dot uk
"I really cannot tolerate intolerance"

BM

Nov 5, 2003, 1:09:06 AM11/5/03
ToolPackinMama wrote:

I just checked out the online tour of DX2... if that is what you are
referring too... then all I can say is "OH MY" that would be AWSOME!!!!!!!!!

Bill

pioe[rmv]

Nov 5, 2003, 4:17:08 AM11/5/03
jpb wrote:

> I wonder what would happen if I did a 180 and jumped on the Windoze
> bandwagen? :-)))

You would experience the latest in vendor lock-in, Digital Rights
Management and Product Activation.

What I wrote is as true as it was when I wrote it:

http://www.efn.no/free-desktop.html

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway

roodw...@core.com

Nov 5, 2003, 5:05:22 AM11/5/03
Niels Ringelmann wrote:

> sorry for the funny english!

Better than the English most Americans write.

--Rod

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answered for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.

jpb

Nov 5, 2003, 5:11:16 AM11/5/03

no fun!!

I thought maybe M$ would follow the other companies I supported. :-))

roodw...@core.com

Nov 5, 2003, 5:13:59 AM11/5/03
Anthony Edwards wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:30:30 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
> <Peter.K...@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>> Oh, SuSE is the last surviving linux distro out there? Mandrake, Fedora,
>> Gentoo or Debian and the others don't exist anymore? Did I sleep *that*
>> long?
>
> I think that the issue is that SuSE is the first truly easy to install
> Linux distribution. I will freely admit that the installation of a
> Debian system (the only other distribution that I would really like
> to try) is completely beyond my current level of technical Linux
> knowledge, and given that I work an average 14-16 hour day there
> really isn't time to spend the many hours that I suspect would be
> required to gain the further understanding required to install Debian
> on my workstations, both at home and at work.
>
> That said, I suspect that this had to come, sooner or later. I do not
> think it unrealistically pessimistic to hypothesise that Novell will,
> probably sooner rather than later, can the "retail" SuSE distributions
> and move to an "enterprise only" paid for distribution model, following
> Red Hat's recent lead. I sincerely hope that I am wrong; but I doubt
> it.

Well, if you do decide to do that you can install Debian easier with a
Knoppix disk. Go to the Knoppix web site. There are links to actually
install it.

Dave Clarke

Nov 5, 2003, 7:55:55 AM11/5/03

When a small innovative company gets taken over by a big corporation, how
long does the innovation usually last?

I hope this won't be the case with SuSE.

--
Dave Clarke

Rick and Sue Deschene

Nov 5, 2003, 10:04:39 AM11/5/03
I have been using SuSE since 6.4, and made a point of finding Linux
apps that filled my needs and after a few weeks work (B.Sc.
microbiology, not Comp.Sci.), I'd developed an understanding of Linux
and found I had no need to boot into Windows anymore. I chose SuSE
then, and continued to chose it for my upgrades, because of the
increasingly good hardware detection and the "more ironed out" program
setups. Things like browser plug-ins being included and working
properly, etc., not having to struggle getting printing or dialup or
DSL to work (I've made good choices in hardware too!), and so on.

I've also found that, for the most part, with every version upgrade
I've purchased the hardware detection and setup just get better and
better. Almost like I'm getting something for buying a boxed set and
there's continuous improvement; quite unlike many other distros.

So I'm not planning on giving up on SuSE, however, Novell as a company
has done many short-sighted and greedy moves in the past. And that is
something I can and will guard myself against. After all, Linux is
(mostly) Linux so the apps and desktop I've become accustomed to are
available on other distros and I can setup GRUB for even more
multi-booting as I test alternatives to SuSE. Just in case.

Libranet sounds promising...

Rick D.
Brockville, Canada

Anthony Edwards

Nov 5, 2003, 11:23:00 AM11/5/03
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 05:13:59 -0500, roodw...@core.com
<roodw...@core.com> wrote:

> Well, if you do decide to do that you can install Debian easier with a
> Knoppix disk. Go to the Knoppix web site. There are links to actually
> install it.

I have actually decided to learn to install (Debian) Linux properly. It
should be an interesting exercise.

--
Anthony Edwards
ant...@catfish.nildram.co.uk

Ernest

Nov 5, 2003, 1:26:36 PM11/5/03

"Big Daddy" <No...@NoWhere.com> wrote

> I don't even see Mandrake for sale in CompUSA and BestBuy anymore
> - only SuSE and what's left of Red Hat.

Besides, Mandrake is a french company anyway, and we all know how popular
the french are with Americans. I wonder if that's why Bestbuy isn't carrying
it anymore?

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Keith Clark

Nov 5, 2003, 1:35:45 PM11/5/03

ToolPackinMama wrote:

I did too. Apparently not, though. I really enjoy using Gnome 2.4, but
when I tried KDE 3.14 I really enjoyed that a lot too. I like having
them both on my system.

--Keith

Keith Clark

Nov 5, 2003, 1:54:58 PM11/5/03

Charles Thorpe wrote:

> Back to Novell, I certainly hope they don't change SuSE too much, but most
> of all, I hope that all the SuSE guys retain their jobs.

Unfortunately that's not likely to happen. The Novell guys have said there's
some "overlap" in the administrative areas which probably means headcount
reductions in Marketing and Sales. Personally I think the headcount reductions
would be better made at Novell, since they can't afford to get rid of the
people who have made SuSE the successful product that it is. But American
companies can be very short-sighted and stupid when it comes to mergers (I've
been through too many myself - four re-orgs in two years at the company I work
for).

Anyway, this may be interesting :

http://www.newsforge.com/business/03/11/04/1854241.shtml?tid=85

--Keith

Keith Clark

Nov 5, 2003, 2:06:34 PM11/5/03

Dave Clarke wrote:

Well, they took over Ximian a while back, and so far it hasn't hurt Ximian
(except to clutter their website with a bunch of Novell propaganda ;->).

--Keith

Ernest

Nov 5, 2003, 2:10:55 PM11/5/03

"Rick and Sue Deschene" <rdes...@ripnet.com> wrote in message

I would probably look more closely at Gentoo but who knows. I no longer get
any sort of thrill from setting up a new computer so I'm all about easy and
simple installs. Suse is super easy to setup, and their package selection is
fantastic.

Suse really is in a great position to dominate the US market for people who
want to use Linux, if Novell is willing to fight a little for it. There are
several points for why Novell should keep pushing the Suse desktop:

1. Most sys admins that I know, who use installed Linux at work, chose to
install the distro that they were familiar with. Many admins in the US
started with Redhat, and so they pushed for Redhat at their offices because
they were familiar with it. Linux is a growing market, especially on college
campus'. Now that Redhat is out of the desktop market, a new distro can fill
that gap for young computer techs. If that distro is Suse, then these young
techs will carry their experiences to their future workplaces. If they know
Suse, then they will likely push for Suse at their offices too.

2. Most business' are not Fortune 500 companies. Smaller companies do not
usually need expensive Enterprise level servers to run their company
networks. A distro like Suse Pro on x86 hardware is usually more than enough
to cover their ordinary server needs. The nice thing about Suse Pro is it
can function as a desktop, workstation, and server and that is perfect for
smaller companies.

3. One of the things that I always liked about using both Windows and Linux
is that, as a sys admin, I can use them both at work and at home. The
computer that I am using right now has Win2k pro, Server, Advanced Server,
and XP on it. I also have a computer here that has Suse, Redhat, and FreeBSD
on it. That means that I can spend more time running tests, etc, at home
rather than having to live at the office. I'm not going to run Netware,
HPUX, or OS400 at home, ever.

4. Usually, the people who use Redhat, Suse, and Mandrake like those distros
because they are easy to use. Now that Redhat and Mandrake are basically out
of the running, the folks who were using those distros will likely move to
Suse. That means more energy (for lack of a better word) in the overall Suse
development area. If more people are using Suse, then there will me more
interest and enthusiasm for it. That potentially means more and faster
development, and possibly more overall standardization.

If Novell is smart about marketing Suse, they could come out of this deal in
really fantastic shape. Can you imagine how much better the Suse products
would be if they had more money to work with?

Novell could really be in a fantastic position now that they have Evolution
and Suse. Can you imagine

Bernard Peek

Nov 5, 2003, 3:49:22 PM11/5/03
In message <a7Upb.105215$HS4.880505@attbi_s01>, Ernest
<leuco...@seanet.NOSPAM.com> writes

>As for Novell's purchase of Suse, I have very mixed feelings. I know that
>they (Suse) have been struggling for some time but I certainly do not want
>them to close down or significantly change their business focus from a
>mixed desktop/server to server only focus the way that RedHat has done
>recently. I moved from Redhat to Suse because Redhat lost interest in the
>desktop, and now I worry that Novell will push Suse in that direction as
>well. Now that Redhat is out of the desktop market, Suse has an opportunity
>to fill the gap in the US market and I sincerely hope that Novell will
>leverage that potential and allow the Suse developers continue to work on
>improving their Linux desktop.

Red Hat isn't out of the desktop market, they are out of the domestic
and SoHo desktop market. They are still selling corporate desktop
systems. I'm pretty sure that they will step back into the home market
in a few years. It's just that they have run out of steam. The
predictions were that Linux would be user-friendly enough to be used by
inexperienced people. That's in sight but we aren't there yet. Red Hat
can't afford the support infrastructure of a mass-market product without
mass-market sales.

--
Bernard Peek

Anthony Edwards

Nov 5, 2003, 7:51:13 PM11/5/03
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:54:58 -0800, Keith Clark
<clarkpho...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately that's not likely to happen. The Novell guys have said there's
> some "overlap" in the administrative areas which probably means headcount
> reductions in Marketing and Sales. Personally I think the headcount reductions
> would be better made at Novell, since they can't afford to get rid of the
> people who have made SuSE the successful product that it is.

Quite, not to mention the fact that, in my experience at least,
Novell's sales and marketing departments are completely and utterly
clueless. During the period from late 1998 until mid-2000 I worked
for a large UK software reseller, specialising in national and local
government and enterprise class accounts.

One of my roles was to write most of the software related content for
the bi-monthly company magazine, which went to every significant
contact at each customer site we had. This was an excellent
opportunity for each software vendor to get their products, and/or
new deals in front of prospective purchasers, and I used to contact
our software houses for copy a few weeks before each issue was due
to go to press.

I had a great deal of affection and respect for Novell technically,
and always attempted to give them the first crack of the whip, and
would contact their marketing folks on each occasion with a request
for information, news and interesting copy. I was never in all that
time successful in obtaining the information that I needed, so their
profile in our magazine was always a great deal lower than it could
or should have been (and our magazine was a significant generator of
incoming calls and sales leads).

In contrast, any time I asked Microsoft for assistance or copy, it
would appear on my desk within 24 hours, usually with some suggestions
or angles that could be used to enhance the article I intended
to write. Of course, the inevitable result was that Microsoft's
profile was a great deal higher than it would otherwise have been,
and they tended therefore to be one of the main beneficiaries of the
leads that the magazine's circulation generated.

If I were Novell, I would retain both SuSE's technical and sales and
marketing folks, and leverage the benefits of the excellent team of
people that they have just acquired.

--
Anthony Edwards
ant...@catfish.nildram.co.uk

Larry Murphy

Nov 5, 2003, 8:30:29 PM11/5/03

"Rick and Sue Deschene" <rdes...@ripnet.com> wrote in message

I run three different Linuxs now ( have run more) but you can't hardly tell
them apart at the desktop. Gentoo has great installation instructions and
you don't have to compile the whole thing if you don't want to. It's worth a
look if SuSE is changed for the worst or done away with. I'm also using 8.2
which is great. For my use I couldn't tell much difference rom 8.1 and 8.2
by the time I added all the upgrades. I'm not a wiz at Linux but I have
found SuSE, Gentoo, Debian and RH all fairly easy to install and they all
have their own way to do things. My two favorites are SuSE and Gentoo. I
hope SuSE stays around, my sons building a 64 bit workstation and wants to
put SuSE on it. I'm looking forward to see what it can do and yes I wrote
this in OE my other monitor died acouple of days ago and I'm getting tired
of swithching this one back and forth.
Larry

Wiseguy

Nov 6, 2003, 1:46:50 AM11/6/03
slack...@yahoo.com (slackerama) tried to express:
> Novell buys SUSE! see for yourself at http://www.suse.com

After 18 years in the IT industry I have NEVER seen a buyout of
an entrepenurial technology firm that proved to be positive for the
technology or for the company employees. The owners of the company
sell out for big bucks, and then the technology falls into obscurity.

RIP, SuSe...

With RedHat dropping their consumer oriented Linux product line I suppose
it's time for a new kid on the block to step up so we can spend the
next five years learning yet another layer of useless application and
system mangement tools.

I'm pretty much fed up with commercial distros. I think it's time to get
back to basics and build things from scratch. Since so few (l)users actually
have any concept of building and configuring code maybe the skill will become
marketable again in the future.

Chris Cox

Nov 6, 2003, 1:46:27 PM11/6/03
Wiseguy wrote:
> slack...@yahoo.com (slackerama) tried to express:
>
>>Novell buys SUSE! see for yourself at http://www.suse.com
>

> After 18 years in the IT industry I have NEVER seen a buyout of
> an entrepenurial technology firm that proved to be positive for the
> technology or for the company employees. The owners of the company
> sell out for big bucks, and then the technology falls into obscurity.

Perhaps you need a few more years.

Microsoft
BEA
Veritas
etc, etc... on and on..

> RIP, SuSe...

Doubt this seriously. Even if Novell botches the job, IBM will
take it all over... not a problem.

> With RedHat dropping their consumer oriented Linux product line I suppose
> it's time for a new kid on the block to step up so we can spend the
> next five years learning yet another layer of useless application and
> system mangement tools.

Arguably, RHL was dropped a long time ago. But if it makes you feel
better... fine... it's dropped. IMHO, Fedora is better than RHL.. at
least there is some kind of support (even if it's only for 6 months or
so at a time).

> I'm pretty much fed up with commercial distros. I think it's time to get
> back to basics and build things from scratch. Since so few (l)users actually
> have any concept of building and configuring code maybe the skill will become
> marketable again in the future.

It is always an option to consider. For me, I can't afford to roll my own...
so I'll stick with the best... SUSE.

Anthony Edwards

Nov 6, 2003, 2:24:18 PM11/6/03
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:46:27 -0600, Chris Cox
<ccox_nop...@airmail.net> wrote:

> Doubt this seriously. Even if Novell botches the job, IBM will
> take it all over... not a problem.

Additionally, I read a credible posting from a SuSE employee
who I respect on the suse-linux-e mailing list yesterday strongly
hinting that SuSE would not have survived much longer had the Novell
acquisition not taken place, presumably due to cash flow issues.

Assuming that to be genuinely the case, it appears that Novell may
have prolonged our ability to use SuSE Linux, rather than reduced it.

--
Anthony Edwards
ant...@catfish.nildram.co.uk

Big Daddy

Nov 6, 2003, 5:31:32 PM11/6/03
Ernest vomitted:

Well, the German's aren't fairing any better in our eyes, but they're not
quite as low as the French. That's one reason I'll never buy Mandrake
again. SuSE works great for me.

Big Daddy

Nov 6, 2003, 5:34:47 PM11/6/03
ToolPackinMama vomitted:

I hate the Gnome environment. I like some apps like Nautilus (though I use
KMail) and Gimp is okay, but the K Desktop is light years ahead of Gnome.
Gnome is just dreary and ugly to look at. KDE is refreshing and pleasant. I
find myself around KDE much easier.

Anthony W. Youngman

Nov 7, 2003, 6:18:02 PM11/7/03
In article <3FA86609...@lauragoodwin.org>, ToolPackinMama
<la...@lauragoodwin.org> writes
>> One of the things I like about SUSE was it free of US madness unlike redhat.
>
>"US Madness?" I can't imagine what you mean.

I think you forgot the smiley :-)

Cheers,
Wol
Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in. "Let
me through. I'm a nosey person.", she said, employing both elbows.
Maskerade : (c) 1995 Terry Pratchett