GUI for MySQL

Maury Kilby

Jan 24, 2003, 3:18:56 PM1/24/03
Hi:

OS -SuSE 8.1
KDE 3.0.4

Looking for a GUI for MySQL that will have the functionality of MS Access.
Have searched using Google but found nothing that looked promising.

Would like it to be KDE based.

What should I take a look at? Is there some other database program for
Linux that is similar to MS Access that I should be checking out??

I am a little surprised that more GUI's for MySQL are not available. When
you switch to Linux the lack of applications is a real problem.

Regards,

Maury

Fish

Jan 24, 2003, 4:46:03 PM1/24/03
"Maury Kilby" <mwk...@Mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Hi:
>
> OS -SuSE 8.1
> KDE 3.0.4

My understanding is that the mysql website has fairly comprehensive lists of
the tools available, including gui's. Have you checked it out?

Eg: http://www.mysql.com/products/mysqlcc/index.html

:)

Fish

Michael Duergner

Jan 25, 2003, 3:06:11 AM1/25/03
Maury Kilby wrote:

> What should I take a look at? Is there some other database program for
> Linux that is similar to MS Access that I should be checking out??

AFIAK is there a possibility to include a database, i.e. MySQL into Open
Office so that you will have things like you have in MS Access. But I don't
really know because I've never tried it myself. Just google for mysql an
open office. Should work.

--
Michael Duergner
Informatik-Student

Gerhard Fuehrer

Jan 25, 2003, 5:06:25 AM1/25/03
Michael Duergner <mic...@duergner.com> schrieb:

>> Linux that is similar to MS Access that I should be checking out??
>
> AFIAK is there a possibility to include a database, i.e. MySQL into Open
> Office so that you will have things like you have in MS Access. But I don't

I installed it some days before according to ...
http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/OOoMySQL.pdf
First impression was good, but till now i didn't worked with it ...

greetinx fg

--
Linux is for Network
Mac is for Artwork

Thulemanden

Jan 25, 2003, 7:51:02 AM1/25/03
"Maury Kilby" <mwk...@Mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<b0s73i$196$1...@slb6.atl.mindspring.net>...
> Hi:
>
> OS -SuSE 8.1
> KDE 3.0.4
>

> Looking for a GUI for MySQL that will have the functionality of MS Access.
> Have searched using Google but found nothing that looked promis

As statet above check out the many options on Mysql website.

Also you can work through StarOffice (Linux) in Microsoft database
style:

http://support.staroffice.com/index.php?act=ST&f=17&t=929&hl=mysql&s=1faed1d83e334c657553cbcd6023c962

(requires free registration)

Richard

Jan 24, 2003, 6:57:17 PM1/24/03
On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:18:56 +0000, the voice of Maury Kilby echoed
through the empty void and this is what I heard:

> Hi:

> Looking for a GUI for MySQL that will have the functionality of MS
> Access. Have searched using Google but found nothing that looked
> promising.

Well, it's nothing like Access but the best gui for MySql would have to
be phpMyAdmin.

MySql is nothing like Access. If you really wanted to compare it to a
Microsoft product then SQL Server would probably be the most accurate
comparison. However, phpMyAdmin is a very nice tool - both user friendly
and powerful. Mind you, it isn't KDE based - being a php program you
access it via your web browser. Though, if you use konqueror I suppose
you could claim a KDE link that way ;o)

Richard

--
Authors (and perhaps columnists) eventually rise to the top of whatever
depths they were once able to plumb.

Moritz Franosch

Jan 27, 2003, 10:57:20 AM1/27/03

"Maury Kilby" <mwk...@Mindspring.com> writes:

> Looking for a GUI for MySQL that will have the functionality of MS Access.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/knoda/?topic_id=66%2C68%2C57
http://www.knoda.org/

But I don't know whether is can compete with MS Access. I haven't yet
tried it, so I'd be interested to hear from you what you think in case
you try knoda.

> Would like it to be KDE based.

Knoda is.

> I am a little surprised that more GUI's for MySQL are not available. When
> you switch to Linux the lack of applications is a real problem.

Yes, database GUI frontends are a problem.

There is also Rekall
http://www.thekompany.com/products/rekall/
(http://www.thekompany.com/projects/rekall/ ?)
It's KDE based, probably with more functionality than knoda, but not
free.

There is a demo version
http://www.thekompany.com/products/rekall/demo.php3
but I have not tried that either.