Kernel desktop or kernel default

Vahis

Mar 14, 2010, 4:57:20 AM3/14/10
I made a new installation of 11.2.
I chose the pattern LAMP server among others.
I didn't pay attention to the kernel version and
2.6.31.12-0.1-desktop x86_64 got installed.

I took a look at this and in the description it says:
This kernel is optimized for the desktop.

It is configured for lower latency and has many of the features
that aren't usually used on desktop machines disabled.

What disabled features do they mean here?

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
Linux 2.6.31.12-0.1-desktop x86_64

WLS

Mar 16, 2010, 1:23:57 PM3/16/10
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 08:57:20 +0000, Vahis wrote:

> I made a new installation of 11.2.
> I chose the pattern LAMP server among others. I didn't pay attention to
> the kernel version and 2.6.31.12-0.1-desktop x86_64 got installed.
>
> I took a look at this and in the description it says: This kernel is
> optimized for the desktop.
>
> It is configured for lower latency and has many of the features that
> aren't usually used on desktop machines disabled.
>
> What disabled features do they mean here?
>
> Vahis

Well, I can't help, but tried to find a comparison through a Google
search and didn't find anything.

It appears that nobody else has an answer to your question. Kind of
curious to know the differences myself, now that you brought it up.

I'm also on the desktop kernel, and don't recall having an option to
select which kernel I wanted on install. With 11.1 it was the pae kernel.

Regards

--
openSUSE 11.2x86_64 (Gnome 2.28.2) | AMD Athlon(tm) 64 3000+ | 2GB RAM

Vahis

Mar 16, 2010, 2:07:09 PM3/16/10
It looks like it has all the features to run a basic LAMP server, mine
works just as it did with 11.0 default kernel.

But I ran into something else, maybe nothing to do with kernel version.

I've installed and run vmware server 1.x.x successfully through several
versions of openSUSE. Using my own notes on my site to install.

I decided to try virtualbox. I ran into a wall trying to get USB

I decided to go on with vmwareserver.
I couldn't compile the modules anymore.
I tried the 2.x and 1.x versions both, no cigar.
I installed the player and it runs fine, with usb support.

I may try those with the default kernel later. Or I may not, I only need the
virtual XPee for one thing, Nokia PCSuite, so I'm pretty cool with just the
player.

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.12-0.1-desktop

David Bolt

Mar 16, 2010, 2:42:42 PM3/16/10
On Sunday 14 Mar 2010 08:57, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Vahis painted this mural:

> I made a new installation of 11.2.
> I chose the pattern LAMP server among others.
> I didn't pay attention to the kernel version and
> 2.6.31.12-0.1-desktop x86_64 got installed.
>
> I took a look at this and in the description it says:
> This kernel is optimized for the desktop.
>
> It is configured for lower latency and has many of the features
> that aren't usually used on desktop machines disabled.
>
> What disabled features do they mean here?

If you have the kernel sources installed, diff is your friend :-)

And because I can be kind, here's a quick look at the .config
differences between kernel-desktop and kernel-default. You'll want
to have a non-proportional font to view this properly:

desktop/.config default/.config
=======================================|=======================================
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-0.3-desktop" CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-0.3-default"

# CONFIG_GROUP_SCHED is not set CONFIG_GROUP_SCHED=y
CONFIG_FAIR_GROUP_SCHED=y
CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED=y
# CONFIG_USER_SCHED is not set
CONFIG_CGROUP_SCHED=y
# CONFIG_CGROUPS is not set CONFIG_CGROUPS=y
# CONFIG_CGROUP_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_CGROUP_NS=y
CONFIG_CGROUP_FREEZER=y
CONFIG_CGROUP_DEVICE=y
CONFIG_CPUSETS=y
CONFIG_PROC_PID_CPUSET=y
CONFIG_CGROUP_CPUACCT=y
CONFIG_RESOURCE_COUNTERS=y
CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR=y
# CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR_SWAP is not set
CONFIG_MM_OWNER=y
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y # CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set

# CONFIG_HZ_250 is not set CONFIG_HZ_250=y
CONFIG_HZ_1000=y # CONFIG_HZ_1000 is not set
CONFIG_HZ=1000 CONFIG_HZ=250

CONFIG_NET_CLS_CGROUP=y

# CONFIG_USB_TEST is not set CONFIG_USB_TEST=m

# CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT is not set

# CONFIG_PREEMPT_TRACER is not set

This will give you the full differences:

diff -ur /usr/src/linux-obj/x86_64/de{sktop,fault} | less

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3M3 32b

Vahis

Mar 16, 2010, 2:54:12 PM3/16/10
On 2010-03-16, David Bolt <blackl...@davjam.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 14 Mar 2010 08:57, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
> Vahis painted this mural:
>
>> I made a new installation of 11.2.
>> I chose the pattern LAMP server among others.
>> I didn't pay attention to the kernel version and
>> 2.6.31.12-0.1-desktop x86_64 got installed.
>>
>> I took a look at this and in the description it says:
>> This kernel is optimized for the desktop.
>>
>> It is configured for lower latency and has many of the features
>> that aren't usually used on desktop machines disabled.
>>
>> What disabled features do they mean here?
>
> If you have the kernel sources installed, diff is your friend :-)

I was thinking of that but being clueless as for kernels among other things
I just asked here :)

> And because I can be kind, here's a quick look at the .config

I've noticed you always are :)

> differences between kernel-desktop and kernel-default. You'll want
> to have a non-proportional font to view this properly:

<snipped kernel diffs>

Do I understand that some groups stuff is disabled?
In a lot of instructions for vbox the group settings seemed crucial...

Also usb stuff missing?
Missing things in those two could explain it.
Maybe I'll try with the default kernel then.

> This will give you the full differences:
>
> diff -ur /usr/src/linux-obj/x86_64/de{sktop,fault} | less

Thanks, I'll have a look :)

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.12-0.1-desktop

20:47pm up 2 days 10:37, 13 users, load average: 0.25, 0.31, 0.44

David Bolt

Mar 16, 2010, 3:29:39 PM3/16/10
On Tuesday 16 Mar 2010 18:54, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Vahis painted this mural:

>> And because I can be kind, here's a quick look at the .config
>
> I've noticed you always are :)

Not always. I regularly get told "you can be a cruel bugger" :-)

> Do I understand that some groups stuff is disabled?

If you're thinking about the CONFIG_CGROUP_* options, those control the
kernel scheduler. The options chosen in the default kernel are much
more suitable for a server than a desktop. There's some more info about
that here:

<http://www.hotaboutlinux.com/2010/01/tuning-the-linux-kernels-completely-fair-scheduler/>

> In a lot of instructions for vbox the group settings seemed crucial...
>
> Also usb stuff missing?

If you're referring to CONFIG_USB_TEST not being set for the desktop
kernel, then you're not missing anything. The purpose of
CONFIG_USB_TEST is for testing host controllers. Some info about it is
here:

<http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_TEST.html>

> Missing things in those two could explain it.
> Maybe I'll try with the default kernel then.

I don't think you're really going to notice much difference. However, I
would be interested if you do notice some differences.