No default gateway from DHCP over wireless

amereen

May 31, 2005, 9:57:55 AM5/31/05
I'm experiencing an issue with Suse 9.3 and it's somewhat bizarre. I
have Suse 9.3 running on a Dell Latitude D505 laptop. The laptop has a
built-in Intel IPW2200BG wireless card. The wireless card works fine
after installation (drivers were supplied). The issue I'm having is
that, over the wireless connection, I am not getting a default gateway
from DHCP. My wireless card is pulling an IP address and I am able to
ping other devices on my network. However I am unable to ping public IP
addresses or DNS names. If I go into my wireless settings and manually
assign it a default gateway, everything works just fine. This is more
of a nuisance then anything.

Any suggestions???

nosy

May 31, 2005, 10:20:11 AM5/31/05

had the same thing recently. Check the DNS server settings on your
internal network:
either you provide the DNS server names on each client or you setup a DNS
server on your gateway with the default forwarder, i.e. the DNS server(s)
from your ISP.

Takuon Soho

May 31, 2005, 10:35:32 AM5/31/05
I just had the same problem on my Sony Vaio laptop.

I had tried both Suse and Fedora Core 1 and at first
thought that the Suse was not installing my IPW2200BG card
properly but after I tried Fedora and found what a piece
of crap that was I came back to SuSe and gave it a closer
look and it turned out that the card was installed just fine
and just as with you it could ping everything but no DNS.

The trick is that your laptop probably also has a 10/100 Ethernet
LAN card too.

SuSe apparently can NOT do DHCP when two LAN cards are installed.
It just defaults to the first one.

I found various suggestins on Google such as adding 2 cryptic lines
to some config file - none of those suggestions seemed to work for me
nor did downing the eth0 and upping the wlan0,
so I did the obvious.

I created two seperate profiles named LAN1 and LAN2.

In LAN1 I just have the 10/100 eth0 card defined.

In LAN2 I just have the wireless wlan0 card defined.

As soon as I did that, the DNS started working..

Tak.

"amereen" <ame...@cremereng.com> wrote in message

amereen

May 31, 2005, 10:53:23 AM5/31/05
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into the DNS settings and see
what I have. However, my problem isn't really with DNS. The main
problem is that I'm not getting a default gateway over DHCP. Because of
this, I am unable to ping outside my network. If I assign a static
default gateway, everything works fine.

Malke

May 31, 2005, 11:37:31 AM5/31/05
amereen wrote:

Looking through the thread, I don't see that you said what you are using
as a DHCP server. In other words, what is the gateway? Is it a router
(my guess) or directly from your ISP?

If it is a router, you may need to configure your router's wireless
settings (or perhaps you've got MAC filtering enabled or some other
item on the router is preventing the laptop from getting an IP address)
and then have them match on SuSE. Post back with that information.

Malke
--
"I have a cunning plan..."

James Knott

May 31, 2005, 12:13:13 PM5/31/05
Takuon Soho wrote:

> SuSe apparently can NOT do DHCP when two LAN cards are installed.
> It just defaults to the first one.

Better not tell my firewall that. It's got 3 NICs and runs dhcp on eth1.
Also, my notebook has both ethernet & wifi. I don't have any problem
running dhcp on either, though I haven't tried on both similaneously.
I'm running SuSE 9.1 on the firewall and 9.3 on the notebook.

amereen

May 31, 2005, 4:07:06 PM5/31/05
I've used my wireless card on two different networks and experience the
same problem. In both cases, my DHCP server is running Windows Server
2003. Also in both cases, my default gateway is a router. The access
points are configured with MAC address filtering as well as the SSID
not broadcasted. There is no encryption enabled. I just find it odd
that my wireless card gets an IP address and subnet mask, but not the
default gateway. The wireless card works just fine under XP, so I know
I have the MAC address correct in the access point.

Freek

May 31, 2005, 6:55:55 PM5/31/05
amereen wrote:

I have a SpeedTouch ADSL router that is providing the DHCP service. With
Windows on my laptop I don't get the proper answers from this DHCP server
and I have to configure the interface by hand.
With SuSE 9.x on the laptop I get everything from the DHCP server OK. So I
have the reverse problem.

I remember from the network manager of my former employer that the answers a
DHCP server can give may differ. Apparently the standard is ambiguous or
not well defined. At least Microsoft has a different interpretation of this
standard.
If I remember correctly it has something to do with the destination IP-
and/or MAC-address or the source IP- and/or MAC-address. The DHCP request
is of course an ethernet broadcast with an IP-(subnet) broadcast addres.
The answer is an ethernet packet with proper source MAC- and IP-addresses
(of the DHCP server) and could have the destination MAC-adress of the
requestor but also the broadcast address and, an IP-address which is a
broadcast address (but which one). The answer is an offer that needs to be
accepted and confirmed. The answer should a.o. provide the gateway. Does
the DHCP server give this value correctly?

You have to analyse more deeply (with ethereal or tcpdump) what is
required/the problem!
How easy is it to move your DHCP server to a non-windows platform?
--
Freek

Charlie

May 31, 2005, 10:12:33 PM5/31/05

I could just tell you at work but thought I'd leave it here in case others
have the same problem. I had funky problems with the Linksys RV082 router
if I allowed DHCP to assign a host name. I gave my Linux install a
static name and my Internet connect problems went away. I don't know if
that will work or not but give it a try.

Takuon Soho

May 31, 2005, 10:31:11 PM5/31/05
Interesting.

Thanks