kernel on installation dvd of open suse 10.2

Velocity

Oct 4, 2007, 1:21:55 AM10/4/07
i copied the kernel and initrd from installation DVD of open suse 10.2
to my boot folder
#cp openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso/boot/i386/loader/linux /boot/
#cp openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso/boot/i386/loader/initrd /boot/

and copied the ISO image of Suse DVD on a partition on hard disk that
was completely free

now I booted from kernel image that was copied by the above commands
then I got the graphical installer screen asking me to start
installation
by this method I have been able to install Suse in a friends comp
without using CDROM or DVD ROM

what I want to know is if instead of the kernel image and initrd image
that are on the installation DVD if I put up the kernel image and
initrd that already are existing on a system
i.e.
vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-default
and initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default

the system does not begin installation

infact it boots into the new kernel on the system.

My question is what is the difference between the kernel images that
are on the installation media inside openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso/
boot/i386/loader/
(name linux and initrd )

and the kernel images that are on the system after a fresh
installation has taken place inside /boot/ folder
which was able to boot the system instead of starting installation

Jan Kandziora

Oct 4, 2007, 6:42:28 AM10/4/07
Velocity schrieb:

> My question is what is the difference between the kernel images that
> are on the installation media inside openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso/
> boot/i386/loader/
> (name linux and initrd )
>
> and the kernel images that are on the system after a fresh
> installation has taken place inside /boot/ folder
> which was able to boot the system instead of starting installation

The initrd on hard disk is made up from scratch by the "mkinitrd" skript
during the installation. This way, only the drivers neccessary for booting
up the installed system are included in the installed initrd. The initrd
from the insatllation medium contains far more drivers.

Kind regards

Jan

Velocity

Oct 5, 2007, 2:45:42 AM10/5/07

> The initrd on hard disk is made up from scratch by the "mkinitrd" skript
> during the installation. This way, only the drivers neccessary for booting
> up the installed system are included in the installed initrd. The initrd
> from the insatllation medium contains far more drivers.

Thanks