Soundcard selection for Firefox

houghi

Jul 10, 2008, 9:14:47 AM7/10/08
I have two soundcards and I can select the correct soundcard in MPlayer
and it also orks in Amarok. However when I try anything in Firefox, I
hear nothing. Short of disabeling one card any idea what I can do?

I have tried to use it as the main card, yet that did not work and I
would keep the two cards.

houghi
--
You can have my keyboard ...
if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

Chris Maaskant

Jul 11, 2008, 3:11:36 PM7/11/08
houghi schreef:

> I have two soundcards and I can select the correct soundcard in MPlayer
> and it also orks in Amarok. However when I try anything in Firefox, I
> hear nothing. Short of disabeling one card any idea what I can do?

What is "anything"?
Flash or java applications, or multimedia content, or really everything?
If only with multimedia, what multimedia plugin do you use, xine or mplayer?
--
Chris Maaskant

houghi

Jul 11, 2008, 4:44:11 PM7/11/08

Anything sound related. Plugin is MPLayer. The main issue is that it
adresses the wrong soundcard.

houghi
--
The blue light suddenly flashed on my horrified face. What a disaster!
Oh, the humanity! I never thought it would happen to me. How terrifying

Chris Maaskant

Jul 12, 2008, 2:57:04 AM7/12/08
houghi schreef:

>> What is "anything"?
>> Flash or java applications, or multimedia content, or really everything?
>> If only with multimedia, what multimedia plugin do you use, xine or
>> mplayer?
>
> Anything sound related. Plugin is MPLayer. The main issue is that it
> adresses the wrong soundcard.

Hmm, strange.
This is on opensuse 11.0?
I'm thinking that it could've something to do with pulse audio.
Isn't it a 'feature' of pulse audio that you can select a sound card per
application?
I don't use it so i couldn't tell, i run kde also with 2 sounds cards.
The primary card i set up with yast is the card that is used for all
applications, unless i tell a specific app to use the other card.
--
Chris Maaskant

houghi

Jul 12, 2008, 3:52:52 AM7/12/08
Chris Maaskant wrote:

> houghi schreef:
>
>>> What is "anything"?
>>> Flash or java applications, or multimedia content, or really everything?
>>> If only with multimedia, what multimedia plugin do you use, xine or
>>> mplayer?
>>
>> Anything sound related. Plugin is MPLayer. The main issue is that it
>> adresses the wrong soundcard.
>
> Hmm, strange.

No, not realy. In MPlayer I selected the right card. I can't do it in
FF or at least I do not know how to.

> This is on opensuse 11.0?

Yes.

> I'm thinking that it could've something to do with pulse audio.
> Isn't it a 'feature' of pulse audio that you can select a sound card per
> application?

And that would be where?

> I don't use it so i couldn't tell, i run kde also with 2 sounds cards.
> The primary card i set up with yast is the card that is used for all
> applications, unless i tell a specific app to use the other card.

With me the primary card is the onboard card which I use for Skype. The
secondary card is the PCI one and that I use for sound and music.

I could disable the primary card, but then I would need to plug and
unplug the headphones if I want to make a call.

houghi
--
You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

Zbigniew A.

Jul 12, 2008, 8:15:47 AM7/12/08
houghi wrote:
>> I don't use it so i couldn't tell, i run kde also with 2 sounds cards.
>> The primary card i set up with yast is the card that is used for all
>> applications, unless i tell a specific app to use the other card.
>
> With me the primary card is the onboard card which I use for Skype. The
> secondary card is the PCI one and that I use for sound and music.
>
> I could disable the primary card, but then I would need to plug and
> unplug the headphones if I want to make a call.

I have very similar setup: HQ PCI audio for music, onboard sound gadget for
Skype. However, my PCI souncard is set up as primary (#0) and onboard as
secondary (#1).

Some applications allow to choose which card to play to. You do it in the
application itself -> options. So far I did not figure out how to configure
flash plugin of web browser to use secondary, it plays to 'default'.

In Skype you can *easily* choose which device you want to use for rings, for
calls, for microphone. In this respect Skype is well designed. So i have my
headset permanently plugged into secondary (onboard) card.
So far the only glitch I found is that my secondary card sometimes --
usually after few days since reboot -- "uninstalls itself" and I have to
reactivate it through YAST or perform reboot.

--
Yours Virtually, Zibi

houghi

Jul 12, 2008, 8:33:48 AM7/12/08
Zbigniew A. wrote:
> Some applications allow to choose which card to play to. You do it in the
> application itself -> options. So far I did not figure out how to configure
> flash plugin of web browser to use secondary, it plays to 'default'.

Seems to be doing the same here as well.

> In Skype you can *easily* choose which device you want to use for rings, for
> calls, for microphone. In this respect Skype is well designed. So i have my
> headset permanently plugged into secondary (onboard) card.
> So far the only glitch I found is that my secondary card sometimes --
> usually after few days since reboot -- "uninstalls itself" and I have to
> reactivate it through YAST or perform reboot.

The I will not have the use of the plugged in soundcard for other
things. I rather not use Skype then. :-(

houghi
| Artist : Doe Maar
| Song : 32 Jaar
| Album : Lijf aan lijf CD 2

AugustFalcon

Jul 12, 2008, 6:52:48 PM7/12/08
houghi wrote:

>... However when I try anything in Firefox, I

> hear nothing. Short of disabeling one card any idea what I can do?

If you have Pulse Audio installed try removing it.
That cured my problem of no Flash sound output.

Kevin Nathan

Jul 13, 2008, 1:14:08 AM7/13/08
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:33:48 +0200
houghi <hou...@houghi.org.invalid> wrote:

>> In Skype you can *easily* choose which device you want to use for
>> rings, for calls, for microphone. In this respect Skype is well
>> designed. So i have my headset permanently plugged into secondary
>> (onboard) card. So far the only glitch I found is that my secondary
>> card sometimes -- usually after few days since reboot -- "uninstalls
>> itself" and I have to reactivate it through YAST or perform
>> reboot.
>
>The I will not have the use of the plugged in soundcard for other
>things. I rather not use Skype then. :-(

Couldn't you make your plugin card the default card and onboard audio
as secondary? Then most applications that don't let you select a card
will use the plugin for audio and you can select the onboard in Skype.

--
Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
The command line is the front line.
Linux 2.6.25.9-0.2-pae

Chris Maaskant

Jul 13, 2008, 3:14:59 AM7/13/08
houghi schreef:

> Chris Maaskant wrote:

>> I'm thinking that it could've something to do with pulse audio.
>> Isn't it a 'feature' of pulse audio that you can select a sound card per
>> application?
>
> And that would be where?

I'm not sure it is even possible, but i thought i read something like this
somewhere.
But like i said, i don't use it.
Because i don't see any reason to use it, alsa works fine for me.

>> I don't use it so i couldn't tell, i run kde also with 2 sounds cards.
>> The primary card i set up with yast is the card that is used for all
>> applications, unless i tell a specific app to use the other card.
>
> With me the primary card is the onboard card which I use for Skype. The
> secondary card is the PCI one and that I use for sound and music.

Others allready suggested to make pci card the primary and the onboard the
secondary and to remove pulse audio.
I would remove pulse audio first and see if it makes a difference.
You're using skype for a while now (from what i read in this group) and
you're using opensuse for some time too.
So i guess you have your system setup this way for some time too.
Alsa was there all the time, oss was there all the time, and now pulse audio
comes along and stuff doesn't work anymore.. go figure :-)

--
Chris Maaskant

houghi

Jul 13, 2008, 4:10:12 AM7/13/08
Kevin Nathan wrote:
> Couldn't you make your plugin card the default card and onboard audio
> as secondary? Then most applications that don't let you select a card
> will use the plugin for audio and you can select the onboard in Skype.

I unfortunatly now use this workaround. Pretty stupid that I must use
the lower quality card for my 'real' sound. I can't remember how I did
it in 10.3. I think I added the card after the installation.

The problem here is Firefox, not Linux as far as I can see. All other
programs let me select what I want to use for sound.

houghi
--
Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
will start thinking and the people will stop.