Suse 10.3 strange internet stuff

GraemeK

Dec 1, 2007, 1:49:03 PM12/1/07
This is a bit weird and I suspect I may be missing something
completely, transparently obvious, but:

Just upgraded from suse 10 to opensuse 10.3 and I'm having problems
with the web. This is an AMD 64 system using an on-board ethernet card
and a cheapo external DSL router. ISP is (aaagh) BTinternet, GUI is
KDE.

Basically, the thing works, BUT - using Firefox I find I can't log on
(consistent, inevitable time out errors) to google or various other
sites which work perfectly OK in Konqueror. Trying to access on-line
repositories via YAST always results in failure - gets to the stage of
"refreshing the XXX repository" then the "cannot access instalation
media" error with the detail "couldn't connect to host". Thereafter
either the PC hangs or YAST helpfully informs me that the download was
"partially successful"

I've tried disabling the firewall for want of anything else to try,
but frankly I don't have a clue what's going on here.

Never posted to this group before but I've learnt a lot from reading
it, so hope someone may be able to help. And to anyone involved in
developing / testing Suse and KDE - many, many thanks for all the
effort. Aside from this, I think the thing is just great!

:-)

Graeme

PS Started with Suse 8.2 but still a command line phobe

houghi

Dec 1, 2007, 2:14:57 PM12/1/07
GraemeK wrote:
> Just upgraded from suse 10 to opensuse 10.3 and I'm having problems
> with the web. This is an AMD 64 system using an on-board ethernet card
> and a cheapo external DSL router. ISP is (aaagh) BTinternet, GUI is
> KDE.

Well, upgrades from SLES and SLED to openSUSE are not tested, so you
could expect thing to go wrong. ;-)

> Basically, the thing works, BUT - using Firefox I find I can't log on
> (consistent, inevitable time out errors) to google or various other
> sites which work perfectly OK in Konqueror. Trying to access on-line
> repositories via YAST always results in failure - gets to the stage of
> "refreshing the XXX repository" then the "cannot access instalation
> media" error with the detail "couldn't connect to host". Thereafter
> either the PC hangs or YAST helpfully informs me that the download was
> "partially successful"

Re-install firefox.

> PS Started with Suse 8.2 but still a command line phobe

That is only because people make it sound scared. Install bb and run bb
in your KDE or GNOME and see how cool CLI can be. :-D

houghi
--
How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

Darklight

Dec 2, 2007, 5:12:51 AM12/2/07
houghi wrote:

> GraemeK wrote:
>> Just upgraded from suse 10 to opensuse 10.3 and I'm having problems
>> with the web. This is an AMD 64 system using an on-board ethernet card
>> and a cheapo external DSL router. ISP is (aaagh) BTinternet, GUI is
>> KDE.
>
> Well, upgrades from SLES and SLED to openSUSE are not tested, so you
> could expect thing to go wrong. ;-)
>
>> Basically, the thing works, BUT - using Firefox I find I can't log on
>> (consistent, inevitable time out errors) to google or various other
>> sites which work perfectly OK in Konqueror. Trying to access on-line
>> repositories via YAST always results in failure - gets to the stage of
>> "refreshing the XXX repository" then the "cannot access instalation
>> media" error with the detail "couldn't connect to host". Thereafter
>> either the PC hangs or YAST helpfully informs me that the download was
>> "partially successful"
>
> Re-install firefox.
>
>> PS Started with Suse 8.2 but still a command line phobe
>
> That is only because people make it sound scared. Install bb and run bb
> in your KDE or GNOME and see how cool CLI can be. :-D
>
> houghi

doing a clean install might solve your problems i have found doing upgrades
problimatic

GraemeK

Dec 2, 2007, 6:08:24 AM12/2/07
Thanks for both replies - to clarify, this was a clean install (I
tried an upgrade first, and ...) and I have also tried reinstalling
Firefox but with no luck.

Perhaps the following might illustrate the problem a bit more:

Firefox times out accessing Google but not Amazon, as examples,
Konqueror can see both no problem.

More problematically, when I try and access external repositories - ie
software not on the source DVD - either by "one click" install or by
trying to add reposiitries in YaST, I get nowhere.

Specifically, YaST will download the list of comunity repositries but
when I actually try to add anything other than "openSuSE build
service" versions I get the error:

'Adding repository Main Repository (NON-OSS) failed'

Similarly, going to the openSuSE webpages and trying to download
nVIDIA drivers gets as far as Downloading > Refreshing repository
NVIDIA then fails with the "detailed" error message

Curl error for 'http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/10.3/repodata/
repomd.xml':
Error code:
Error message: connect() timed out!

Also, if I try to install codecs from Kaffiene directly I get the
message in Konqueror:

Unable to connect
Your computer must have a working Internet connection in order to
donwload support for this type of multimedia.

Which is a bit frustrating, given that I demonstrably do have a
working internet question, its just somehow not being seen.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me with this - I'm still at
the "gosh, that's strange" stage but I can feel a bout of banging my
head on the desk approaching ...

:-)

PS Houghi - I know, I know - got to get in there and play with the
command line eventually - its just that I still have nightmares about
DOS ...

houghi

Dec 2, 2007, 6:32:20 AM12/2/07
GraemeK wrote:

<snip>
This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep
this newsgroup clean
Short story: Please read http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

Long story:
Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on
Usenet. There are several solutions to this problem. The best is to use a
newsreader. For Windows there is e.g. FreeAgent and for Linux there is
Pan, Knode or slrn, among others.

Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. If they do not
have a Usenetserver, look up a payserver, like http://giganews.com or a
free server like news.sunsite.dk (registration required)

Now what if you are not at home all the time and that is your reason to
select google? Glad you asked.
If you have a fixed connection, you can use a dyndns server to make a
connection to your home linux machine over ssl and use anything that is
on your home computer.
e.g. ssh home.example.com and then run slrn. GUI interfaces are possible
as well on any OS.
If you are unable to keep a connection up, you can register at
http://www.rootshell.be and then connect to there and use slrn on that
machine. slrn is textbased and might be scary at first. As Usenet is
text anyway, you will very fast learn how to use it and configure it.

Only if all else fails and you have no option in using Usnet in any other
way, including waiting till you get home, you can use Google. You can
still quote correctly as described on the following page:

Understand that many people already filter out google postings. So best
look for an alternative. Usenet is not WWW. If you want WWW, look up
a webforum. This is not a webforum.

I sympathize with your problems, and am more than willing to help you
solve them. To do so you should follow the correct quoting principles
and good Netiquette explained in this FAQ available at;
http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

Untill then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice
won't do so. So in the interest of solcing your problems, quote correctly
and ask Google to reinstate the correct way of quoting.

Remember: this was not a flame, this was helping you to get the best
response and help possible.

houghi
--
It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle

Canned

Dec 2, 2007, 6:05:29 PM12/2/07
GraemeK schreef:

> Thanks for both replies - to clarify, this was a clean install (I
> tried an upgrade first, and ...) and I have also tried reinstalling
> Firefox but with no luck.
>
> Perhaps the following might illustrate the problem a bit more:
>
> Firefox times out accessing Google but not Amazon, as examples,
> Konqueror can see both no problem.

Thats weird. Have you try ping those servers?

Check in yast - network device (or "yast2 lan&" from cli). Have you
configured your network card properly (dhcp, routing, dns, hostname,
etc)? Are you using NetworkManager or using ifup? What kind of network
card? Whats the output of "route"?

Graeme Kerr

Dec 3, 2007, 2:02:57 AM12/3/07
Canned wrote:

>> Firefox times out accessing Google but not Amazon, as examples,
>> Konqueror can see both no problem.
>>
> Thats weird. Have you try ping those servers?

I have now - strangely google works fine, but amazon doesn't (100% packet
loss). That said, this may be an amazon thing as every other site I've
tried pings as you'd expect.

> Check in yast - network device (or "yast2 lan&" from cli). Have you
> configured your network card properly (dhcp, routing, dns, hostname,
> etc)? Are you using NetworkManager or using ifup? What kind of network
> card? Whats the output of "route"?

In order:

Running yast2 lan& gives an apparently rising 4 digit number -

5071 5283 5311 on successive attempts. Doesn't mean anything to me ..

I had thought so - but largely accepted YaST suggestions. Just had a look
and note there's no default gateway set. Could this be a problem?

Network card:

Foxconn International Winfast NF3250K8AA
MAC : 00:01:6c:b0:51:ec
Device Name: eth-eth0
Started automatically at boot
IP address assigned using DHCP

Route output:

linux-dkc3:/home/gkerr # route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
Iface
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
default mygateway1.ar7 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

Is it just me or does this look wrong?

Ta again

Graeme

houghi

Dec 3, 2007, 4:27:38 AM12/3/07
Graeme Kerr wrote:
> Canned wrote:
>

>>> Firefox times out accessing Google but not Amazon, as examples,
>>> Konqueror can see both no problem.
>>>
>> Thats weird. Have you try ping those servers?
>
> I have now - strangely google works fine, but amazon doesn't (100% packet
> loss). That said, this may be an amazon thing as every other site I've
> tried pings as you'd expect.

That might be because ping is not intended for what you are using it. If
you want to test a connection, do a traceroute. Do it first on a
conection that works, so you know what to expect.

If you want to be sure if you can reach a server, do a telnet to that
server (after knowing that your internet works) to the port you try to
reach.

Only use ping for machines that you control and know what to expect.

Ping only gives you a result when it is positive. When you do not get a
ping back, it just means that: you do not get a ping back. There is no
conclusion you can put on it.

houghi
--
Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren

Canned

Dec 2, 2007, 6:00:54 AM12/2/07
Graeme Kerr schreef:

> Canned wrote:
>

>>> Firefox times out accessing Google but not Amazon, as examples,
>>> Konqueror can see both no problem.
>>>
>> Thats weird. Have you try ping those servers?
>
> I have now - strangely google works fine, but amazon doesn't (100% packet
> loss). That said, this may be an amazon thing as every other site I've
> tried pings as you'd expect.
>
>> Check in yast - network device (or "yast2 lan&" from cli). Have you
>> configured your network card properly (dhcp, routing, dns, hostname,
>> etc)? Are you using NetworkManager or using ifup? What kind of network
>> card? Whats the output of "route"?
>
> In order:
>
> Running yast2 lan& gives an apparently rising 4 digit number -
>
> 5071 5283 5311 on successive attempts. Doesn't mean anything to me ..

It's just the PID.

> I had thought so - but largely accepted YaST suggestions. Just had a look
> and note there's no default gateway set. Could this be a problem?

Probably, but if I look at your route output, it seems that you have set
default gateway to "mygateway1.ar7", I assume this is your router.

> Network card:
>
> Foxconn International Winfast NF3250K8AA
> MAC : 00:01:6c:b0:51:ec
> Device Name: eth-eth0
> Started automatically at boot
> IP address assigned using DHCP
>
> Route output:
>
> linux-dkc3:/home/gkerr # route
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
> Iface
> 192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
> link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
> loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
> default mygateway1.ar7 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
>
> Is it just me or does this look wrong?

It looks just fine
> Ta again
>
> Graeme

Have you also set your nameserver in yast? Look at /etc/resolv/conf it
should contain at leats two lines like:
nameserver 192.168.1.xxx
search lan site local etc

Bob Bob

Dec 3, 2007, 7:06:30 AM12/3/07
Hi Graeme

I have only been half watching this discussion. Just a few notes.

- Webservers (or any server or IP connected device) can be setup not to
respond to pings. Granted it's unusual but not impossible. What I am
getting at here is that if you get a good response you know it is
working. If however you get a 100% loss you may like to try some other
port testing tool (like nmap) to verify. Also keep in mind that ping has
a timeout that depending on how quickly you give up and remote site/link
congestion may yield 100% loss. Windows clients are notorious for this,
as by default it only tries three pings.

- One of your first comments was "It only happens with Firefox,
Konqueror is fine". I would suggest that as a test you start up with a
clean Firefox setup and try again. The simple way to do that is to close
any Mozilla related app (like Thunderbird, Firefox etc) then rename the
.mozilla directory in your HOME folder to something different (eg
.mozilla.orig). When you launch Firefox it will recreate a new .mozilla
directory and give you some standard defaults. See if you can see your
errant websites then. (Check first that Firefox really does create its
settings in .mozilla. It does in mine but might vary.)

- Could it be a mangled plug-in? Haven't though this through much.

- If you are considering that it is a network card etc problem
reconfigure the thing manually. I have seen some DHCP systems yield
weird results. From your previous post it appears you have a router
farming our local IP addresses. If you do an "ifconfig", "netstat -rn"
and view the contents of /etc/resolv.conf you should easily be able to
create the same static entry. It is a good idea though to configure the
IP address to be outside of the routers DHCP range but in the same
subnet. (eg the router may be 192.168.0.1, the DHCP range
192.168.0.100-110 but the mask 255.255.255.0. Use something like
192.168.0.120 for the NIC.)

Good luck, Bob.

Don Raboud

Dec 3, 2007, 12:36:43 PM12/3/07
Graeme Kerr wrote:

> Canned wrote:
>

>>> Firefox times out accessing Google but not Amazon, as examples,
>>> Konqueror can see both no problem.
>>>
>> Thats weird. Have you try ping those servers?
>
> I have now - strangely google works fine, but amazon doesn't (100% packet
> loss). That said, this may be an amazon thing as every other site I've
> tried pings as you'd expect.

Wild guess, but could this bean IPV6 vs IPV4 issue?

In firefox, type about:config in the address bar and look for anything with
IPV6 in them and try turning them off (if they are not already).

Also, do the problems you are experiencing happen just with you or with all
users on the system?

--
Don

Canned

Dec 3, 2007, 5:56:40 PM12/3/07
Bob Bob schreef:

> Hi Graeme
>
> I have only been half watching this discussion. Just a few notes.
>
> - One of your first comments was "It only happens with Firefox,
> Konqueror is fine". I would suggest that as a test you start up with a
> clean Firefox setup and try again. The simple way to do that is to close
> any Mozilla related app (like Thunderbird, Firefox etc) then rename the
> .mozilla directory in your HOME folder to something different (eg
> .mozilla.orig). When you launch Firefox it will recreate a new .mozilla
> directory and give you some standard defaults. See if you can see your
> errant websites then. (Check first that Firefox really does create its
> settings in .mozilla. It does in mine but might vary.)

You don't have to rename .mozilla or even delete it, just create another
profile with "firefox -ProfileManager" but first try to disable the
add-ons maybe it will help
Message has been deleted

Canned

Dec 4, 2007, 4:57:45 AM12/4/07
Moe Trin schreef:

> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
> <fj0npp$oa9$1...@registered.motzarella.org>, Canned wrote:
>
>> Have you also set your nameserver in yast? Look at /etc/resolv/conf it
>> should contain at leats two lines like:
>> nameserver 192.168.1.xxx
>> search lan site local etc
>
> man 5 resolver and look exactly what the 'search' directive does.
>
> 'search' and the mutually incompatible 'domain' directives are a
> shortcut allowing you to refer to hosts with a short (non-qualified)
> name. This may help lazy users, but it can be a security problem,
> especially if you are using a multicast DNS service like avahi. Both
> the Apple (avahi) and microsoft multicast DNS services were documented
> to cause security problems, and having either a 'search' or 'domain'
> directive increases the vulnerability. The draft RFCs for each service
> [1][2] caution about this, but security is often ignored because it
> often gets in the way of dumb users.
>
> Old guy
>
> [1] draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-06.txt for Apple/avahi
> [2] draft-ietf-dnsext-mdns-47.txt -> RFC4795 for microsoft

Thanks for showing me those text, but I don't think that in home
environment, there will be a security issue just by using "search"
directive, except for wireless situation, where people can pick up your
key from the air. Anyway, I would like to learn more about mDNS, since
I'm using it. Any suggestion where I should start, especially about
those security issues?

Moe Trin

Dec 4, 2007, 9:21:58 PM12/4/07
On Tue, 04 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
<fj38ng$ktk$1...@registered.motzarella.org>, Canned wrote:

>Thanks for showing me those text, but I don't think that in home
>environment, there will be a security issue just by using "search"
>directive, except for wireless situation, where people can pick up
>your key from the air.

Should not happen if you are using WPA2. If your wireless setup is
using WEP, you have no security. Try the news group
'alt.internet.wireless' - a nice thread to read is

From: Jeff Liebermann <je...@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us>
Newsgroups: alt.internet.wireless
Subject: Cracking WEP in less than 60 seconds
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:59:09 -0700

Before the group 'sci.crypt' got trashed by a spammer, there had been
an earlier article you may find on a search engine

Newsgroups: sci.crypt
Subject: From SANS: "Is WEP dead yet? Should it be?"
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 03:47:53 -0500

>Anyway, I would like to learn more about mDNS, since I'm using it. Any
>suggestion where I should start, especially about those security issues?

The 'draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-06.txt' should be available via
any search engine, and section 25 discusses the issues. You should also
note that this draft has expired without replacement - and the competing
and non-compatible [1] microsoft proposal was adopted as an INFORMATIONAL
standard (i.e. this is how it works, but it's not an official standard
such as RFC1034 - the regular DNS standard) as RFC4795. Both proposals
talked about the security issues, and proposed a solution (DNSSEC), but
that solution and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Macdonalds
(and be just as useful as NO ONE bothered to implement it).

Old guy

[1] Non-compatible. They use different multicast addresses (224.0.0.251
and FF02::FB for Apple/avahi, 224.0.0.252 and FF02::1:3 for microsoft)
and different port numbers (5353 for Apple/avahi, 5355 for microsoft).
The contents of the packet aren't even laid out the same.

Graeme Kerr

Dec 6, 2007, 2:05:50 PM12/6/07
Don Raboud wrote:

> Graeme Kerr wrote:>
>
> Wild guess, but could this bean IPV6 vs IPV4 issue?
>
> In firefox, type about:config in the address bar and look for anything
> with IPV6 in them and try turning them off (if they are not already).
>
> Also, do the problems you are experiencing happen just with you or with
> all users on the system?

Hate to say this, but - umm - yes. Going to Yast and disabling IPV6 turned
out to solve the problem. Now - why?

OK, that was a rhetorical question.

For the record, I'm really impressed with the help provided hereabouts (even
the help that I had no idea what it meant) and much good will to you all.
I'm off to find out more aobut this IPV4/IPV6 stuff.

Maybe at some point I can have a really accurate wild guess, too!

Thanks to everyone