Dead drive or what?

baskitcaise

Oct 17, 2004, 7:17:56 AM10/17/04
Well it does seem I have a problem here, can anyone give me a "definite"
answer before I have to replace and bring everything back from a
back-up please? here are a couple of snips from my logs that might
just give a hint :)

Sorry the wrap is all off

<<--snip-->>

---------------[/var/log/warn]---------------
Oct 17 11:56:10 basket kernel: ReiserFS: warning: is_tree_node: node
level 0 does not match to the expected one 1
Oct 17 11:56:10 basket kernel: ReiserFS: hda6: warning: vs-5150:
search_by_key: invalid format found in block 3998068. Fsck?
Oct 17 11:56:10 basket kernel: ReiserFS: hda6: warning: vs-13070:
reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o failure occurred trying to find stat
data of [362502 486290 0x0 SD]
[...]

<<--pins-->>

At the moment these seem to appear at approx 1 hour ( cron?) intervals
yet the machine "seems" stable in all I am doing this morning, did get
one complete hard lock last night.

Or could it just be a couple of bad blocks?

TIA

--
Mark
Iligitimi Non Carborundum!

David Wright

Oct 17, 2004, 8:08:03 AM10/17/04
baskitcaise wrote:

Did a quick Google on Reiserfs and the error. It looks like it could be a
timing issue, but the general consensus is to run a "reiserfsck
--check /dev/hda6" followed by "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/hda6". You
can't do the second if it is mounted as root, so you'll need to boot of a
recovery disk such as Knoppix, or unmount the partition if it isn't root
and then check it...

http://www.groupsrv.com/linux/viewtopic.php?t=1257
http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2004/Apr/3609.html

Hope this helps. If this clears the problem for a while, then it starts to
creep back, I would suggest that perhaps the drive or controller have
problems... Have you checked the cables are firmly pushed home? Could be
they have vibrated a little loose or something equally silly...

Dave

baskitcaise

Oct 17, 2004, 8:17:22 AM10/17/04
David Wright adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to
write:

> http://www.groupsrv.com/linux/viewtopic.php?t=1257
> http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2004/Apr/3609.html
>
> Hope this helps. If this clears the problem for a while, then it
> starts to creep back, I would suggest that perhaps the drive or
> controller have problems... Have you checked the cables are firmly
> pushed home? Could be they have vibrated a little loose or something
> equally silly...

Thanks Dave,

Will be able to do all the "big" test in a while, ( have got my
emergency disk in another machine at the moment doing the same thing
but on the "other" O/S )

Also the motoGP is on in now ( BBC2 ) so will want to watch that first
on this machine ( SWMBO does not like the noise downstairs :)

No big deal though as I can clone the whole "/" onto my spare disk in a
short time using UBCD and anything that is lost can be got from
backup :)

David Wright

Oct 17, 2004, 8:59:13 AM10/17/04
baskitcaise wrote:

Watched the GP highlights on Eurosport a couple of hours ago, some good
racing - couldn't do with getting in the middle of the night to watch it
live!

Dave

mjt

Oct 17, 2004, 2:55:00 PM10/17/04
baskitcaise wrote:

> Well it does seem I have a problem here, can anyone give me a "definite"
> answer before I have to replace and bring everything back from a
> back-up please?

... hey Mark ... this guy has been around
a long time and knows his sh$t:
http://grc.com/spinrite.htm
"The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your
hands and hoping when a rock or a club will do."
-- McCloctnik the Lucid

mjt

Oct 17, 2004, 2:58:15 PM10/17/04
mjt wrote:

>> Well it does seem I have a problem here, can anyone give me a "definite"
>> answer before I have to replace and bring everything back from a
>> back-up please?
>
> ... hey Mark ...  this guy has been around
> a long time and knows his sh$t:
> http://grc.com/spinrite.htm

... forgot to mention. i know you probably dont
have eXPensive on the box, but you can create a
bootable eXPensive Live CD using BART:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

if you dont have eXPensive to build this. let me
know and i can create an ISO and put it on my server
for you to download
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell
in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

mjt

Oct 17, 2004, 3:38:58 PM10/17/04
baskitcaise wrote:

> Well it does seem I have

... this thread of yours has sparked me to try
and resurrect the p166 i was using as my [web]
server. it has 2 drives. the second drive, the
one with all the web stuff, was not responding.
i kept hearing a 3-click sequence.

hardware never ceases to amaze me.

i open the box and remove the cage housing the
two drives. i apply power and i hear the
click-click-click, pause, click-click-click,
pause, click-click-click, pause ...

i take a very tiny ratchet wrench and tap the
hard drive on its bottom, right where the
spindle is ... guess what? i could IMMEDIATELY
hear that sucker start to spin up :))

i guess it was stuck !!! hardware == weird

oaky, so now i can switch my router to point
to this recovered server :)
No matter what other nations may say about the United States,
immigration is still the sincerest form of flattery.

baskitcaise

Oct 17, 2004, 4:22:02 PM10/17/04
mjt adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to write:

> baskitcaise wrote:
>
>> Well it does seem I have a problem here, can anyone give me a
>> "definite" answer before I have to replace and bring everything back
>> from a back-up please?
>
> ... hey Mark ... this guy has been around
> a long time and knows his sh$t:
> http://grc.com/spinrite.htm

Hi Michael,

Yep I have a very old version of Steve`s spinrite somewhere on disk
<rummage rummage> but just cannot lay my hand to it at the moment :)

Have just been through the reiserfsck options and rebuilt the tree like
Dave suggested and at the moment all seems ok, it found a couple of
"bad things"©.

Funny though I was only getting an error report on the drive every 39/40
mins and no cronjob at those moments, even when the machine was left on
with nothing running??????

Will have to let it run now for at least an hour to see if the reports
come again, d^mn my uptime has suffered this last month, might have
been caused by all the power outages due to the "builders" my UPS could
not handle the long ones, and they are back next week to finish off the
work [1].

Anyway have got my spare disk ready just needs a clone if things don`t
look to good by the morning :)

Thanks

<rant>

[1] Never get a jobbing plumber in, and if you do make sure he tightens
the bath plug U-bend after him, I sympathise with you guys/gals that
might have been hit in Florida but over here it has taken 6 weeks
nearly to fix a damn leaky bath which has taken out all the downstairs
ceilings.

That is why I ain`t been here much and also not in the best of moods,
cost the best of £10,000 so far thank $DEITY for insurance, and now my
comps are being a PITA :)

<rant off>

David Wright

Oct 18, 2004, 1:28:04 AM10/18/04
baskitcaise wrote:

<snip>

> [1] Never get a jobbing plumber in, and if you do make sure he tightens
> the bath plug U-bend after him, I sympathise with you guys/gals that
> might have been hit in Florida but over here it has taken 6 weeks
> nearly to fix a damn leaky bath which has taken out all the downstairs
> ceilings.
>
> That is why I ain`t been here much and also not in the best of moods,
> cost the best of £10,000 so far thank $DEITY for insurance, and now my
> comps are being a PITA :)

Hmm, I had a burst pipe a month after I bought my first house (with my
brother). He said he would fix the ceiling which had fallen in (just the
kitchen luckily). After 2 years he just walked out and left me to pay his
part of the mortgage as well, he also left the hole in the kitchen
ceiling... I was by then spending most of my time on the road, so I was
there 1 or 2 nights a week for the next 10 years. At some point, he did
come back and put up some plasterboard.

But not having time to deal with it, and having got used to it, I would
never notice until somebody came to visit and asked what had happened...

It eventually got fixed about 6 months before I put the house on the market!

So I can sympathise... And never leave an insurance job up to your brother
to do, by the time he doesn't get around to finishing it, the insurance
won't cough up for the repairs :-(

Dave

Harold Stevens

Oct 18, 2004, 7:22:47 AM10/18/04
In <2tg07vF...@uni-berlin.de>, mjt:

[Snip...]

> i take a very tiny ratchet wrench and tap the
> hard drive on its bottom, right where the
> spindle is ... guess what? i could IMMEDIATELY
> hear that sucker start to spin up :))

Not that it's important, but is it an old Western Digital? I ask, since it
is exactly what a friend I did with an old "obsolete" box we "acquired" at
work years ago, for a "rogue" Linux install (pointyhairs everywhere).

They had scrapped this box, and we asked about it as a parts source. There
was the same clicking, which went away when we were inspecting the running
gear and inadvertently shoved a heavy cart into the table holding it. That
suprised us less than the BIOS/POST display startup, ending in a booted PC
with Win 95. We were grinning like two kids in a candy shop. :)

We proceeded to load Slackware (IIRC) on it that very afternoon. :)

This thing ran fine for years afterwards, but everytime we took it down to
install new hardware, or a site-wide maintenance powerdown, etc., the dang
drive had to be tapped gently to get it running again. Go figure. :)

Message has been deleted

Paul J Gans

Oct 18, 2004, 12:10:43 PM10/18/04

><<--snip-->>

><<--pins-->>

>TIA

The SuSE site has a new kernel with Reiser fixes among others.
I have no idea what it fixes. And I wasn't in the mood to install a
new 9.1 kernel at home at midnight, so I did nothing (yet).

Check it out.

---- Paul J. Gans

Paul J Gans

Oct 18, 2004, 12:21:09 PM10/18/04
mjt <mjtobler@removethis_mail.ru> wrote:
>baskitcaise wrote:

>> Well it does seem I have

>... this thread of yours has sparked me to try
>and resurrect the p166 i was using as my [web]
>server. it has 2 drives. the second drive, the
>one with all the web stuff, was not responding.
>i kept hearing a 3-click sequence.

>hardware never ceases to amaze me.

>i open the box and remove the cage housing the
>two drives. i apply power and i hear the
>click-click-click, pause, click-click-click,
>pause, click-click-click, pause ...

>i take a very tiny ratchet wrench and tap the
>hard drive on its bottom, right where the
>spindle is ... guess what? i could IMMEDIATELY
>hear that sucker start to spin up :))

>i guess it was stuck !!! hardware == weird

>oaky, so now i can switch my router to point
>to this recovered server :)

Yeah, but by Gans's law it will stick again. And
again. And again.

Since my web server is a speedy 350 Mhz machine,
I don't see why a 166 Mhz box would not do the job.
Mine is certainly not taxed serving web pages.

So replace the drive. If you are in luck you've got
something lying around like an old 6 Gbyte drive...

----- Paul J. Gans