FYI: tightVNC added to Slackware 13.0

Douglas Mayne

Dec 9, 2009, 10:10:42 AM12/9/09
tightVNC is a useful remote control program which has been added to
Slackware 13.0. I have been using it more and more to get a fully
functional desktop environment which retains its session state. It can be
tunneled over ssh for security, and has acceptable performance over
broadband connections (say, 1 Mb/s, YMMV). Several techniques/hacks for
using tightVNC are covered in the O'Reilly book, Linux Server Hacks,
Volume 2.

The syntax necessary to start vncviewer is a bit long, and this is the
command line that I use:

$ vncviewer -fullscreen -q 6 -depth 16 -encodings zlib -xrm '*grabKeyboard: true' :1

This assumes that the the remoted vnc session is being forwarded over ssh
to the localhost. Adjust quality, depth, and encodings to fit your taste.
Note: vnc instance :1 maps to port 5901, :2 -> 5902, etc.

Windows offers a similar working environment, Remote Desktop. GNU/Linux
can access a Windows computer remotely using the rdesktop command.
For comparison, here is the command line that I use to start a remote
desktop session from Slackware to a Windows host:

$ rdesktop -f -a16 -u user -d domain host:3389

Again, adjust parameters to taste. Here is a short list of optional
switches to try out for better performance:

-z (add compression)
-B (use X backstore)
-P (client side bitmap caching)
-x ("experience" extensions : [modem|broadband|lan] )

Preferred user settings can be found by trial.

rdesktop can also be tunneled over ssh, and can also use a virtual host
aggregation technique similar to that used by vnc. rdesktop hosts can
be setup to be available on sequential ports (say, 3389, 3390, 3391, etc.)
as forwarded over ssh to the localhost.

This post is mostly intended for my own reference, but may help someone
else get started with vnc. IMO, vnc is a very useful tool for network
administrators: tightVNC for GNU/Linux, and rdesktop to Windows.

--
Douglas Mayne

barnabyh

Dec 9, 2009, 12:56:46 PM12/9/09
Douglas Mayne wrote:
> tightVNC is a useful remote control program which has been added to

Thanks for that.

notbob

Dec 9, 2009, 2:10:15 PM12/9/09
On 2009-12-09, Douglas Mayne <do...@sl12.localnet> wrote:
> tightVNC is a useful remote control program which has been added to
> Slackware 13.0.

Added by who? When?

I have slack 13 and see no such pkg.

nb

Douglas Mayne

Dec 9, 2009, 2:16:13 PM12/9/09
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:10:15 +0000, notbob wrote:

> On 2009-12-09, Douglas Mayne <do...@sl12.localnet> wrote:
>> tightVNC is a useful remote control program which has been added to
>> Slackware 13.0.
>
> Added by who? When?

Added by PV at some point between 12.2 and 13.0.
Also, "where" is a relevent question:
answer: .../extra/tightvnc

> I have slack 13 and see no such pkg.
>
> nb

Note: comment inline.

--
Douglas Mayne

notbob

Dec 9, 2009, 3:17:37 PM12/9/09
On 2009-12-09, Douglas Mayne <do...@sl12.localnet> wrote:

> Added by PV at some point between 12.2 and 13.0.
> Also, "where" is a relevent question:
> answer: .../extra/tightvnc

OK. Thanks, Douglas. I didn't have the extra disk

nb